It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Anouncement Of Life Found On Mars...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
From Drudge Report right now....

Martian soil may contain life
Thu Aug 23 2007 11:30:10 ET

The soil on Mars may contain microbial life!

Joop Houtkooper of the University of Giessen, Germany, will declare on Friday the Viking spacecraft may have found signs of a weird life form based on hydrogen peroxide on the subfreezing, arid Martian surface.

His analysis of one of the experiments carried out by the Viking spacecraft suggests that 0.1 percent of the Martian soil could be of biological origin.

That is roughly comparable to biomass levels found in some Antarctic permafrost, home to a range of hardy bacteria and lichen.

Developing....

[edit on 23-8-2007 by super70]

Mod Edit: Replaced quote tags with ex tags and added link. Methods of ''Quoting'' – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 23/8/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Flagged!! This is big news! Baby steps, towards disclosure...baby steps toward disclosure

Great Post Super70

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If they ever decide to "break us in" with the knowledge of extraterrestrial life, this is exactly the way its going to happen.

Possible Microbial life!..........(wait for public reaction)...............

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is great! if it is found to have life on earth could this be the first step towards verifying ET's?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

Can you post the link to where the information came from.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Do you have a link for that? Or a news story?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Phantastic news!

Next announcement: "Our new infrared capabilities confirm that there are some unusual sub-surface thermal activities in the area of Cydonia"

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by super70
If they ever decide to "break us in" with the knowledge of extraterrestrial life, this is exactly the way its going to happen.

Possible Microbial life!..........(wait for public reaction)...............

So in your opinion, what do you think the reaction beyond the scientific community will be?

IMO, I think the general population will be "Wow. That's cool. So what's on TV tonight?" without much REAL critical thought on the implications.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Heres the link, the story is still under construction but this could be the start of a lot more disclosure. I hope it doesnt get axed like so many before it.

Way to go OP this is what its all about peeps.

www.drudgereport.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

WOW!

I have to agree with a previous poster that this will probably be ignored by Average Joe, but that doesnt take the fun away for us.

Thanks for breaking this super70. I hope some nice MOD gave you some super points for this one.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru
So in your opinion, what do you think the reaction beyond the scientific community will be?

IMO, I think the general population will be "Wow. That's cool. So what's on TV tonight?" without much REAL critical thought on the implications.

IMO i think the reaction depends on the level at which its disclosed to the public. right now we have the drudge report giveing details. If the scientific community is allowed to proceed, I think it could be the smoking gun all of us have been waiting for. Becasue with the finding of any form of life on Mars, its a sure bet that it wont end there as to what was there or is still there. The buliding blocks of life as we know it are abundently available through out the universe, Carbon, helium, hydrogen, water they all exsist in mass quantities, so why not life on other planets and why would life have to be exactly as life on earth is. Could be different all togeather IMHO.

Exciting times for sure

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
wow! Amazing news! I'm looking forward ot hearing more about this!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
I hope some nice MOD gave you some super points for this one.

That would be my boy KleverOne's department.
But in case he forgot
to hit the "Applause" button, here's a
[color=#80c0e0]BIG THUMBS UP
from me!

I am very excited about this news! I seem to remember someone saying that disclosure would start on the 24th... can't remember where I read that. I don't put much stock into predictions and all, but I thought it was noteworthy.

Crystal balls aside, I cannot wait for the scientific data to become available! This could be huge! Watch this space.

[edit on 8/23/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Anyone know yet if they are planning to or already have brought it back? Could they gain knowledge of this life without bringing it to Earth?

I know that I am kinda worried about bringing other-worldly zoology into our ecosystem. As exciting as this is, I would rather they study it on the red planet.

Could the possibility of public fear and outrage over being exposed to some possible "Mars Disease" turn into a reason to hush this up?

[edit on 23-8-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Oh, and who thinks this may speed up any atempts to put a man on Mars?
This could cause our space program to to expolde with activity!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ok, good news...

But I'm going to have to spoil the party a bit.

This is, after all, just one scientists results based on data obtained 30 odd years ago from the Viking probes.

It needs to be peer reviewed and if found to be "acceptable" in it's findings, then it'll take another probe to actually confirm life.

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to pop the champagne just yet....

As for disclosure... Not likely....

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The soil on Mars may contain microbial life, according to a new interpretation of data first collected more than 30 years ago.

So we still have to wait till the probe gets there in 2008 for a definite yes or no?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Good points made, however this is the closest I've ever seen the media to announcing "Life on Mars". I can't help but be a tid bit excited!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yes the Viking mission landed on mars back in the 70's, and they thought they detected life back then because of the amount of methane gas present. They later recanted the claim.

Then things fired up again in 1996 when they announced life being detected in a Martian Meteorite, and again it is still being debated.

I expect this will also be another debate being based on old research and I would not expect anything like disclosure to come from this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join