It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA research shows paranormal implications - The New Humans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Beauty! Where were you when this Zipf crap first burst onto the scene? There was an entire thread of "OMG! There are words hidden in our DNA! Maybe the Koran! Maybe instructions on building UFOs!"

I was never able to get across that "grammar" doesn't imply English - just rules for construction.

Just wait, soon the "invisible extra-dimensional strands" people will be by.

MOD NOTE: Please view this thread. No more scoffing and ridicule.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing that there are NOT paranormal implications in our DNA. As a human being speaking to other human beings (at least I assume you all are human) on a forum such as this, Im sure that we have all had SOME sort of paranormal activity in our lives. How can humans have these abilities and it NOT be incoded in our DNA?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grock
I have a hard time believing that there are NOT paranormal implications in our DNA. As a human being speaking to other human beings (at least I assume you all are human) on a forum such as this, Im sure that we have all had SOME sort of paranormal activity in our lives. How can humans have these abilities and it NOT be incoded in our DNA?

Read my post on the previous page - I can link you directly to it if you'd like. I don't think you know exactly what DNA is and what it does, my post should answer why it probably isn't explicitly the cause of such paranormal events, real or otherwise.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Thats ok JohnMike, Id rather be treated like an idiot that doesnt know what hes talking about and believe things without having looked into them in depthly rather than look at your previous post that would explicitly point out such a thing. I appreciate your willingness to do so, but by default I think I would raher lose out on becoming wise than be enlightened by things which I have no clue about. Good attempt though. Keep up the good work, there are many of us idiots out there who deserve to be treated as though they know nothing and Im sure are looking forward to it being pointed out by others who also know nothing. What a wonderful world we live in where we can all row our boats knowing that the river ends in disillussion and bewilderment. Hmmmmm... Since I cannot possibly fathom the infinite wonders (yet alone the intricate structures) of DNA, I think Ill sit here and ponder the miracle of a raindrop and be amazed by its infinite circle-ness, which continues to be around and a-round...

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well first off, don't be insulted at all. I just explained why this silly idea didn't work, and explained the basics of DNA. I don't think I ever really said anything directed at you. I replied to every post in this thread.

Hmmmmm... Since I cannot possibly fathom the infinite wonders (yet alone the intricate structures) of DNA, I think Ill sit here and ponder the miracle of a raindrop and be amazed by its infinite circle-ness, which continues to be around and a-round...

Of course you can. It's not that difficult to understand, honestly. I thought that my post did an okay job of conveying some of what DNA is, but there are many other sources on the internet and otherwise. Wikipedia can be kind of confusing to me, though, since some articles seem to be written more for a graduate student than a layman.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

What sort of paranormal activity are you certain is in all our lives? What kinds of abilities are you certain that (proveably) we all have?

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Beauty! Where were you when this Zipf crap first burst onto the scene? There was an entire thread of "OMG! There are words hidden in our DNA! Maybe the Koran! Maybe instructions on building UFOs!"

I was never able to get across that "grammar" doesn't imply English - just rules for construction.

It's a very difficult concept to get across to someone who hasn't had the chance to do a lot of reading about structure. I was a bit annoyed that the original article misused the idea of "grammar"...didn't want to sound too harsh in my judgement of it, but the bits the authors wrote clearly showed that they had no clue about it.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
"What sort of paranormal activity are you certain is in all our lives? What kinds of abilities are you certain that (proveably) we all have?"

a simplistic intro - www.amazingabilities.com...

some research along these lines - axislumina.org...

Cayce's Health readings were proven over and over again - www.crystalinks.com...

Human Cognitive Abilities - chronicle.uchicago.edu...

'Super Human' Abilities We All Have -
overview - www.superhumanabilities.com...
ninja - askaninja.com...
shaolin - www.kungfulibrary.com...
Intuition - www.davidmyers.org..., www.angelfire.com...
remote viewing - en.wikipedia.org...
some proven examples of utilizing the above - freespace.virgin.net...
www.suite101.com...
www.uri-geller.com...
near death experiencers -
www.near-death.com...

you can agree or disagree but its all right there (I could literally go on and on but ive been sitting here for 2 hours now reading and creating this post).

Human abilities are vast, complex, and little understood (at least far less understood than they would have us believe) . But they are there, and the only conclusion in my book is that they are 'built-in' ie a part of our DNA/RNA system. (most likely manifested through the glandular systems as well).

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike

Also bull#. This thing makes wild claims, each of which have been thoroughly debunked several times before in actual peer-reviewed journals. I know for a fact the "authors" of this crap wouldn't dare submit it to anything that was peer-reviewed.

There are rules to this site, Mr. Mike....please abide by them. I have my kids read this site and prefer the assigned decorum, honestly. I appreciate your consideration.

I would mention that to many people, the submission of a paper to a peer review process is not a lightly taken scenario. They are not very friendly to outside ideas. Honestly, the attitude you show above is the same attitude that stifles science. No, hackery and bad science is not what we need....but the ability to think freely without having your work labeled as "crap" and "BS" is critical if we are going to pursue meaningful progress.

However, the fragile ego's that create such strong and hateful backlash are likely the very reason why we should not make meaningful progress.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
On the other hand, it is logical thinking and the scientific process that got us out of the age of superstition. A lot of what's in those links is self-delusion and wishful thinking.

There are tools for determining fact from fiction, and as painful as they may be to use, they're the best we have. I believe they work quite well most of the time. I also think that a lot of people that have disdain for them have never worked in a scientific or technical field, and don't really understand the process or the considerable weight of centuries of detailed observations on the matters they're denigrating. Most of it is common sense - the peer review process you find offensive (perhaps because it doesn't generate conclusions that agree with yours?) mainly boil down to :

1) show us on paper, exactly, no waffling, how you think it works, so someone can check your maths
2) show us where you actually did it, and how that worked for you
3) provide enough detail so that someone else other than you can do it too

Frankly, if you can't do that, then maybe you can't really fly through the air, shoot lasers from your eyes, emit chi fireballs from your palms or whatnot.

I also find it amusing to quote Bohm and poopoo the scientific method in one post.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Your post is brilliant and entirely accurate as to the science behind DNA. But it's filled with cuss words. Please do not use them the next time you post.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
No offense meant, but I've actually read most of this material when I was younger and before I knew much about how to test for such things.

Cayce's Health readings were proven over and over again - www.crystalinks.com...

Actually, they weren't. He made quite a few goofs but they only publish his successes.

'Super Human' Abilities We All Have -
overview - www.superhumanabilities.com...
ninja - askaninja.com...
shaolin - www.kungfulibrary.com...
Intuition - www.davidmyers.org..., www.angelfire.com...
remote viewing - en.wikipedia.org...

But the groups here who have done some experiments on these have not come up with very stellar results that prove we all have these abilities. And "ask a ninja.com" is a spoof site. I've studied the martial arts quite a bit and hold low level belts in several disciplines. I even studied ninjitsu. The site is the equivalent of The Onion.

www.uri-geller.com...

Sorry to break it to you, but Geller's been confirmed as a stage magician and has no paranormal powers.

near death experiencers -
www.near-death.com...

How are near death experiences "paranormal powers"?

Human abilities are vast, complex, and little understood (at least far less understood than they would have us believe) . But they are there, and the only conclusion in my book is that they are 'built-in' ie a part of our DNA/RNA system. (most likely manifested through the glandular systems as well).

I'd like to see proof of a group with testable "psychic powers" like telepathy, who have a reliable 80% accuracy as demonstrated in many experiments. Not self-reported experiments... have 'em tested by a pack of skeptics who know the scientific protocol (a number of "psychic people" cheat... we've seen some notable cheats from Russia.)

...and not YouTube videos, either.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
There are rules to this site, Mr. Mike....please abide by them.

You can call me John.

I never once attempted to circumvent the automatic censors.

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
No, hackery and bad science is not what we need....but the ability to think freely without having your work labeled as "crap" and "BS" is critical if we are going to pursue meaningful progress.

There's mistakes, and then there's fiction mislabeled as fact. If this was a real attempt at an actual science, I would address it as such. Unfortunately, it's simply baseless fiction, literally. Anyone trying to pass it off as science is either insane or a liar. I usually lean toward the second one. If you don't bother to back up your work, and you base it on some little thing you invented in your head without any regard for reality, then that work is crap.
And the person who came up with it is either an idiot or a liar.

Byrd does a fine job of replying to those links you posted.

Now Grock, if you believe in these things, please explain them yourself. I'm tired of responding to a hyperlink - let me respond to you.

[edit on 12-9-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
JohnMike, Tom Bedlam:
I apologize, I did get that screwed up about Zipf. It was a team of researchers, led by H. Eugene Stanley, a physicist at Boston University.

I posted the link and an excerpt from it, just as a way to provide further info for the OP to research. I said nothing about its validity. My husband found the article and thought it was interesting, though he says there are a few things he disagrees with. The upshot is: we simply don't know enough to completely rule out the theories from the excerpt. It was done by a group of scientists, coordinating with parapsychologists and is extremely pioneering work. But there are some things that are interesting mentioned in the article, that may be worth further research. There may be something to it, we just don't know.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
JohnMike, Tom Bedlam:
I apologize, I did get that screwed up about Zipf. It was a team of researchers, led by H. Eugene Stanley, a physicist at Boston University.

I just looked that up, and there's nothing on his website about it:
www.bu.edu...

Googling for him on scholar.google.com doesn't show a paper by him about psychic phenomina, though I may have missed something. I googled for the obvious things. I wanted to check his methodology.

So ... IF.. there's such a paper, he's completely disassociated himself from the results.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There are a large number of human abilities that are not exactly quantifiable. For example, being stared at. Its a natural human ability to detect when one is being stared at. They teach this in SpecWar and to snipers - dont stare directly at your target but slightly off of your target, as they may detect you staring at them. Now is everyone aware they have this ability? no. Does everyone excercise this ability so that it could work on command? no. Does every single human have the potential to have and to strengthen and utilize this ability? yes. Its a natural part of being human. I cant explain it. I dont know how it works. I only know that it does. It sounds strange that someone standing a distance behind you can trigger this response without any input other than the fact that they are looking at you with intent. Maybe it evolved as a defense mechanism against predators? perhaps.

If hyperlinks arent good enough for you to see what I am saying, just this one example alone should give you an idea of what exactly it is that im talking about when I say 'human abilities'. You can go ahead and debunk this post as well but I can say with 100% certainty that this is true, It has saved my own life in real world combat more than once. You cannot possibly convince me that it is not true, and I guess that maybe I cannot possibly convince you that it IS true. Maybe this is one area where we can agree to disagree.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Googling for him on scholar.google.com doesn't show a paper by him about psychic phenomina, though I may have missed something. I googled for the obvious things. I wanted to check his methodology.

So ... IF.. there's such a paper, he's completely disassociated himself from the results.

Thanks, Byrd, I really appreciate the info. We hadn't really checked it out, I just posted it for interest.
My husband (who found the article) says he saw Stanley's name in reference to the subject in a science publication, he thinks it's Science magazine, but he's looking for the source he found it in.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

You just made a claim. We need evidence. How do you know this?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
reply to post by Grock

You just made a claim. We need evidence. How do you know this?

John why don't you learn what evidence can be, ok he just gave you the evidence from his personal experience. I think that is good enough coming from a soldier, in fact i can agree with him even more because considering i and many others have experienced this...i think it is intuition, some guy wrote a book about it, its almost like the people on 9/11 the planes that crashed and hit the towers were more than half empty, and some people said that they became nervous or just had a gut feeling not to go on the plane.

its funny when Grock said that the claim he made was personal expereince, and yet you still say "how do you know this"...

[edit on 13-9-2007 by ATSGUY]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Grock,

I found this article to day on the subject in the OP.

www.agoracosmopolitan.com...

You also might want to check out the research of Dr. Bruce Lipton. He is a cellular biologist and seems to be doing similar research.

Every cell is an intelligent organism. You can remove it from the body, put it into a Petri dish and it will manage its own life: handle the environment, grow, reproduce and form communities with other cells. In the human body we are dealing with a vast community of cells working together in harmony. In a culture dish, cells behave as individual entities. However, in a body cells act as a community; individuals really cannot do whatever they want because then the coherence of the group will fall apart. Therefore, when cells come together in a community they acquire a central intelligence that is involved with coordinating the activity of the individual cells in the group. The cells actually defer to the higher order of that central voice. A human organism is a community of upwards of fifty trillion cells operating in unison and harmony, trying to conform to the requests and demands of that central voice. And it is the central voice that acquires and learns the perceptions that we must deal with throughout our lives.

www.brucelipton.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join