It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs...good or bad idea?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Sorry,i agree dogs are pretty smart but not as much as people think,pigs outsmart dogs by quite a margin.

And pigs don't run in packs.

With my intellect,in good health and a weapon.Im sorry but a pack of dogs wouldnt stand a chance....

keep telling yourself that. Why do you think dogs run in packs? Here is a hint. you can only face one. Once again no offense meant but if you want to show us how intelligent you are please try using the space key in between sentences. the standard is two spaces after each periods, your post are one big line and very hard to read.

Good you train dogs etc..

Not obedience training. I trained dogs to save people who thought they were way smarter then they were. Search and Rescue not sit and stay.

but if i was looking for a food source it would be pretty easy to kill a pack of dogs.

Wow that statement shows the average human arrogance. "I'm human I have a brain and a stick I will take on the world."

good luck with that let me know how it works out for you.

Without a weapon? yip id be pretty much toast..But humans use tools and technology and not brute force,teeth and claws hence the weapon.

Seriously weapon or not you are surrounded, and can only see in front of you. while your looking at whats in front of you they have you hamstrung from behind and to the sides. teeth and claws or not in less that weapon is a rapid fire gun you are going down all the brains in the world can not see behind you and very little to the sides.

as I said you don't know what your talking about. I have been all over the world. I have seen these domestic packs in person. You are thinking with the average arrogance of humans.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Sigh...this is hypothetical anyway,and im fairly confident in what i said.Please dont tell me how to write or type either,that is arrogance in its highest form,you read and understood my point fairly well which is the whole point in language despite what you think about the way in which i type.

Agree to disagree i think.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican I have been all over the world. I have seen these domestic packs in person. You are thinking with the average arrogance of humans.

Do they retain most of their pack hunting abilities? I mean wolves are silent, dogs have learned to bark at humans, and as a result bark at eachother a lot too.

Do they go ferral and as a result revert back to their old-school canine communication methods?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Standard poodle. My vet said that they were the smartest dogs on the planet. They are large enough to cause damage. Have a long nose so they can adapt to warm climates, thick fur to adapt to cold, can swim, and have been used by special forces because of their out of the box thinking.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ok, as i see it, here is the problem with what some of you have to say.

Themuse: Sharpei are good dogs, but out in the wild how are you going to take care of their eyes? will you have enough medicine to keep them clean? Their ears too. After awhile they will become a liability.

Northern Raider: There hasn't been a timber wolf attack, but most areas where people will be, there are no timber wolves. Grey wolves are more common, and here in Idaho last year there was 6 or 7 attacks on people.

Solomons: When a pack attacks they surround you. You can't cover your back and watch the ones in front at the same time.

Sonya610: Pit breeds make good pets, but are not good outside the home for multiple reasons. One, they have no endurance, so can not run for extended periods of time. And two, they are narrow minded when it comes to defending themselves. They pick a target and don't pay attention to anything else.

And yes, dogs revert to their natural hunting instincts. And most won't bark when they are hunting.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rintendo

Poodles are about the fugliest dogs on the planet, but are a good choice. They were originally breed for hunting, and have great survival instincts. Just don't try to use them as pack animals, you'll kill them fast.

And if you have shears, you can use their fur like wool.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Do they retain most of their pack hunting abilities? I mean wolves are silent, dogs have learned to bark at humans, and as a result bark at eachother a lot too.

It depends on the age of the pack and how well the Alpha pair was trained before they went feral. A well established pack that has several generations will be less intelligent and resemble more a pack of wolves. Notice I said resemble. Domestic dogs no matter how many generations is involved will never be a full wolf like regardless of what you see on discovery. The biggest thing that makes them dangerous is they already associate us with food. it is bread into them.

Do they go ferral and as a result revert back to their old-school canine communication methods?

Once again it depends on the amount of time and the intelligence of the Alpha team. How well were they trained before. I will give you an example. In my house at this moment we have two dogs. Shadow is a boxer black lab mix. Henry is a boxer pitbull (AKA bulldog) mix.

He is at the moment my avatar. We actually have taught them to howl, like wolves. We taught them this for the same reason wolves do it. to locate our pack members.

My wife or I will start howling and no matter ware they are or what there doing they will howl back. Now consider that training taken into the wild or urban area. they are going to teach it to others. Domestic feral dogs are hard to figure. way to many veriables to have absolutes.

A great deal also depends on the part of the world too. How domestic was it before the sit-x that caused the dogs to form a pack in the first place. City dogs are going to be different from farm dogs as well.

I know I didn't really answer your question but there isn't a absolute answer to it. it just depends on the circumstances.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
Sonya610: Pit breeds make good pets, but are not good outside the home for multiple reasons. One, they have no endurance, so can not run for extended periods of time. And two, they are narrow minded when it comes to defending themselves. They pick a target and don't pay attention to anything else.

And yes, dogs revert to their natural hunting instincts. And most won't bark when they are hunting.

Yeah, it is true pits tend to lose all reason when they go on the attack (rescued one from scum neighbors and learned that the hard way, but my god she was the smartest dog I have ever seen, a brilliant sociopath). As far as not being able to run for extended periods of time, I can assure you they can cover a lot more distance than I can! As an only dog they do have traits that I would prefer.

Quick story about how smart the pit girl was. She was a control freak and when feeding time came she made sure all the dogs were in their place (because no one got fed unless everyone was accounted for). Not that unusual, but when the kibble scoop was missing (frequently stolen by other dogs so they could lick up the kibble crumbs, she never did this but others did). When the scoop was missing and I spent a few seconds looking for it in the kitchen when she apparently realize what I was looking for, and realized it was holding up the food. She dashed off, found it, and came rushing back with the scoop in her mouth! She NEVER left the kitchen when I was getting their food ready, she had to manage the situation, but that time she did. Freaked me out, I have never seen a dog use that level of deductive reasoning, she never touched that scoop any other time.

People keep saying standard poodles. Yeah they are smart but the coat maintenance would be way to much work. Wash and wear coats are much much better.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

That is why i prefer german or belgian shepherds. They require almost no maintenance, and have no serious medical issues genetically breed into them.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Poodles are about the fugliest dogs on the planet, but are a good choice. They were originally breed for hunting, and have great survival instincts. Just don't try to use them as pack animals, you'll kill them fast.

And if you have shears, you can use their fur like wool.

Yes, they are a bit fugly, but smart.

Personally, I am a Saint Bernard lover. I have had two in my life (both females) and they were HUGE beasties, but gentle with kids in the 'hood. The second one who just died
was 150lbs and the best guard dog going. She was very alpha and even took charge of my brother's dog who is part wolf and very aggressive. He tried to bully her and she quickly put him into place.

We've had her around many other dogs who were supposedly alpha and within an hour almost all of them were a part of her pack.

Saints can take the cold, can pull up to 1000lbs on a cart, have webbed feet so are good for swimming or walking on snow, you don't have to worry about them around kids (I know someone who raises the Malinois and no way would I have one around kids). So they drool! Big deal. We're talking survival here. Drool in just the right spot could trip an intruder.

But back to poodles...they are totally bril dogs. Just not cute.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnuubisThat is why i prefer german or belgian shepherds. They require almost no maintenance, and have no serious medical issues genetically breed into them.

Yes, Belgian Malinois are truly among the best for protection work. Have you seen this video? An impressive display...and shows these pups can be a handful when their prey drive is heavily encouraged!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Nice
No, i haven't seen that vid before. That is one reason i like them so much. And they make great family dogs.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Please don't tell me how to write or type either,that is arrogance in its highest form,

Arrogance in its highest form is thinking you are above the rules, weather they be grammar rules or society rules.

Agree to disagree i think.

Another form of Arrogance is talking in absolutes about what you don't know so yes lets agree to disagree works for me. hope you never have to put your theories to the test.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Okay, I have a question. What makes them good family dogs? I have spoken to at least two breeders who breed primarily for protection and neither of them recommended the malinois because they are not kid-friendly. They are also drive-dogs (and if you are alone I agree that is GREAT for protection).

I was just wondering what your take is on the breed that is different. This was about 2002, so maybe they have made some strides in breeding a different attitude into them.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Ok children, enough arguing about grammar. This has nothing to do with dogs, who by the way can't read, so they don't care. If you want to continue then send it in a U2U please.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

It's all in how they are raised. You can take two pits from the same litter, raised by two different people, and have one family dog, and one that would just as soon kill you.
People are affraid of dobermans, but my dad had one when i was growing up, and it loved kids. He didn't like anyone else but was very protective of my family. He absolutely hated mexican, because the migrant workers would bring their kids with them to pick asparagus behind my house. The kids would throw rocks at him.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rintendo
Okay, I have a question. What makes them good family dogs?

Family dogs as in children 12? I think many protection breeds are not usually a good match (especially the males). There is a machismo that comes with killing the intruder, and that temperament often does not fit well with kids that tug, pull, mess with food dishes, and try to "lie or crawl" on the dogs without any sense or respect.

Sometimes the females will be tolerant because they see the kids as their "own" and tolerate it (I have heard many female pits will do this). But generally it is not a good mix. I did Doberman rescue for many years and the general rule was "no kids under 12". Small children often have no sense, and if they get bit they usually get it in the face. Even if they are not bit they will be knocked around a lot by a dog of that size/strength.

Granted more than a few experienced Dobie breeders had small kids and dogs, but they understood the nature of the dogs and the need for mutual respect.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Like i said, it's all in how they are raised. My dads dobeman loved kids, and loved being mauled by them.
And in the wild you want a bitch anyways. Let them have a litter of pups and see how protective they get

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

First off you don't know me yet you call me a child. Yet again a perfect example of arrogance. Last time I checked you were not a mod. so why don't you take it up with a mod. there are several super mods who frequent the survival boards now maybe one of them.

Second you are right it has nothing to do with dogs but it does have to do with intelligence. or the showing of witch was part of the argument as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I can see how your screen name came to be...pretty angry and childish attitude you have for an adult i must say.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join