It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs...good or bad idea?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rintendo If I have to work constantly to keep it from killing the neighbor's bichon or beagle then that really cuts into the reason for having a dog for me at this point in my life.

Yes well I honestly hope your brother has more devotion. When I read your statements I thought "cool...the guy is focused on his wolf-hybrid...and what happens when he gets a girlfriend?" Wolfie becomes a hassle and girlfriend doesn't like him jumping on her new off-white sofa? Or the new wife worries it won't be safe around the "real baby"?

I sincerely hope that is not the case.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well, that's what I mean. People need to pick a breed that works for their lifestyle. If you are allergic to dogs that shed, get a schnauzer. If you don't have a lot of free time, don't get a high maintenance dog. The trick is knowing what you can do and don't go beyond it.

He actually lives around the dog. He can't let just anyone watch the dog, and the dog can't go outside because if he leaves him alone in the kennel there is the chance he will break out of the kennel and go after one of the dogs people walk (it's happened before--the dog went through the kennel). Basically he has become a hermit because he can't always take the dog places, and he doesn't want to mistreat the dog by locking it indoors all day.

I couldn't do that, so I won't get a high maintenance dog. Dogs should be for life and a lot of people get dogs they can't handle and then the dogs end up at the pound. If I get a dog it is a for better or for worse thing, so I am all about finding one that I know I can deal with.

Not that there aren't evil Saint Bernards, but my experience with them and with other people's is that they are low maintenance (in my estimation low-maintenance is trusting them around people or other dogs) and that's what I will get.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In such a situation, I think either a Rottie or a Rodi Ridgehound would be the best bets.

Rotties are rugged dogs with herding backgrounds and on a hunt, are just as capable of taking down medium game like deer, with little trouble. They are intelligent dogs that can be trained and are completely loyal and protective.

Ridgehounds were bred to chase down lions. They are one of the most fearless dogs alive. They are not the best of house pets, but in a Sit X, you dont want a house pet anyway. They can be trained with some work and are loyal to their masters.

Both dogs give off some body heat, but they have short coats, so they are probably not the best for cold weather insulation. That one flaw would not deter me from considering them as the best dogs for the situation.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rintendo
He can't let just anyone watch the dog, and the dog can't go outside because if he leaves him alone in the kennel there is the chance he will break out of the kennel and go after one of the dogs people walk (it's happened before--the dog went through the kennel). Basically he has become a hermit because he can't always take the dog places, and he doesn't want to mistreat the dog by locking it indoors all day.

He needs to find a really experienced pet sitter/dog trainer that knows how to deal with a dog-aggressive dog. I can't imagine having just "one dog" and working outside the home, as pack animals they NEED to have companionship. Another companion dog (or wolf hybrid, but lord knows what trouble a two-some can cause) is always preferrable.

But seriously if he looks around he can find really seasoned dog trainer/pet sitter that understands the needs and precautions required for a very dog aggressive canine. They are out there. They can at least watch wolfie for a weekend and be trusted not to let him kill something.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Well, I hope he can find one in his area because he is missing out on a very important age in his life by constantly worrying about the dog. The dog did alright around mine, but as I've said *tears up* my dog died recently.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RintendoWell, I hope he can find one in his area because he is missing out on a very important age in his life by constantly worrying about the dog. The dog did alright around mine, but as I've said *tears up* my dog died recently.

Well also realize you say he is "missing out" because of preconceived notions about what "normal" is. This canine could be the greatest love of his life, I do not know the situation but it could be. The stuff he is "missing out on" may not even be a blip on the radar in terms of lifetime attachments.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rintendo

If you've never had a large protective breed I wouldn't suggest getting one until you've homed your training on small dogs. If you are not going to put time into training your dogs you are not going to get anything out apart from an unruly dog. The larger breeds usually require a whole lot of interaction time otherwise they tend to get bored and with boredom will come bad behaviour or whatever gets them attention.

[edit on 30/11/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Well said. star from me. I would also like to add how ever that no matter the breed big or small structured activity is a must. A little dog wont break your arm shaking you but they will still hurt you.

That dog whisper guy actually likes working with the larger breeds because the smaller ones are more dangerous. At least that's what I saw on one of his programs. I haven't seen a lot of them but his technique is wonderful. doesn't work for me wish it did.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
If you've never had a large protective breed I wouldn't suggest getting one until you've homed your training on small dogs.

Or maybe mediums sized mutts. Small dogs can be over the top difficult. But seriously, most dogs are sane and care about family/pack. I have had more than a few alpha dogs, never been the alpha in the truest sense, yet it all worked out fine.

Many, many households have a true canine alpha that in one way or another rules humans and canines alike, and they do just fine. Though I suppose many humans choose to think they are running things, doggie will sit for a treat, that proves the human is alpha!

Now it is true a thinking human needs to be aware, and watch the household dynamic especially with regard to human children. But truly many households have alpha canines and never realize the true state of affairs or have an issue arise. We have lived with them for thousands of years.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It isn't that I don't understand what it takes...I think I understand it all too well. I'm saying that I do not have time for a high maintenance dog at the time. I used to do French ring with my boxer and it is a lot to instigate drive and then train to repress it. With my current situation I need more of a couch potato dog and that's what I'll get.

A lot of people get more dog than they can handle and that's not me. Dogs are for life and I don't want to get into a situation where I haven't the time for a particular breed's eccentricities. It isn't fair to the dog and it's not fair to the people who come in contact with it.

My brother is devoted to his dog because he has to be. The dog is not other dog friendly In fact it is hostile to other dogs so he has to take extra precautions. I don't want that for myself. I want a dog that I can take to the dog park and will place nice with others.

However, he chose the dog and more power to him.

As you've said, a pet can be a significant relationship in your life. Definitely my Saint Bernard was. However, they don't live as long as we would like and as harsh as this may seem...things like sex, intellectual discourse, seeing the occasional movie are all things I would like for myself and I can't legally do that with a dog.

Maybe he's different, yeh?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rintendo

With a wolf, you have to keep one thing in mind at all times. Never forget it, and you'll see the source of any problems.

You and your family are his "pack" or family unit. Everyone else, and everything else is an outsider. This is especially true if you get a cub.

That doesn't mean that he will just attack anything but his "family," but that a member of the family should demonstrate their "acceptance" of whatever outsider is present, and then the wolf will be accepting as well.

This will work to your benefit in the wild. Any animal, and I mean anything, will have to go through him before he gets to you or any of yours. That would include everything from a bear to a snake. And things didn't go through him worth a damn.

My friends loved Thorgard (my wolf), and neighbor kids loved to play with him because they could climb on, fall off, and at worst get a big, sloppy lick in the face.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

However, they don't live as long as we would like and as harsh as this may seem...things like sex, intellectual discourse, seeing the occasional movie are all things I would like for myself and I can't legally do that with a dog.

Coincidence sex came up first huh? Guess what, true love and sex are not always synonymous. Rumor has it some people love their children more than life itself, does that mean they have sex with them?

Sorry to be harsh, but seriously, bringing up ejaculation in the context of love is not always appropriate. The two are not always linked. And linking the idea of the death of a beloved canine with sex is well...ugh. Not funny. I suppose for some it is the same difference, but not for everyone.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I apologize if that came off crudely. My point is that while pets are many things humans do need human companionship.

EDIT: No longer wish to share how I feel about my dog.

And yet...if my sweetie were here this would not hurt so much because I would have this person to talk to, to lay with, and have a lively discussion with over coffee.

I am not trying to diminish what animals are, just saying that they are more of a gift rather than a lifelong love. They don't live long enough to grow old with. A sad fact, that, but true. However, while they are here they are icing on the cake of life.

At least, to me.

EDIT: By the way, people love their children more than they love their life, their spouses, their pets, the whole world combined. If they don't...I think there is something wrong with them. The ferocity of maternal love is an amazing thing.

And no, sex is not a requirement for "true love", but it is a physiological requirement/urge that people would like met.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Rintendo]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I don't normally like to confide in strangers something so intensely emotional to me, but...losing her was like losing a limb.

Good Lord. No *sniffle* added? Save it for when it might be useful…for your "sweetheart" perhaps. Seriously you may fool others, but don't think you fool everyone.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

As I've said the dog is people friendly. I have yet to have a problem with him. He is very well-behaved with people.

The dog does not like other dogs and has broken out of a very sturdy kennel, has pushed through the front door, etc. and the first thing he does (as luck would have it) is to find some smaller dog on a leash and attack it.

I do realize that this is because it is a "cub" and that it is "nature's way" and that the dog is not "evil", he is doing what dogs do. What I said was that it is a lot more trouble than I would be willing to put up with and I therefore would not have a dog like that. It isn't as if there isn't information on wolves and wolf hybrids out there. These are some of the downsides to the critters and I know it and would not have one because of it.

My brother took this on and more power to him, I've said. I just think--regardless of what others may believe, that he is spending a lot of time with this dog and less time with people. I have heard him say countless times, I would love to, but I can't leave_____

I find this unfortunate that he got a dog like this at this particular time in his life. I would almost see this as a retiree dog where you have a lot of free time, but, no, retirees get schnauzers and the whatnot.

Again, just me. I am not anti-dog, but I am anti- getting more dog than your life can handle. For his lifestyle (the way it was) he should have gotten a beagle.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

No offense, but that was pretty much uncalled for. You don't know me. You don't know anything but a few words on this board. You don't know what I went through with Gracie. You don't know anything at all about it. You completely misread or misinterpreted the point I was trying to get across and came up with this hypothesis of who and what I am.

My points were these:

1) that human company is unique and irreplaceable
2) that people bite off more than they can chew with certain dog breeds
3) that if you don't have the time to put into an aggressive animal you shouldn't have one for their sake or the sake of others.

The fact that I so foolishly tried to clarify somewhat how I felt about my dog that passed on is something I now regret since you have decided to make light of how I feel.

I would like to know how you feel you can come to a conclusion about someone based on posts on the ATS webboard? Zero body language, lack of inflection or tone...?

Let me be clear on this. What you've said to me is very judgmental and unkind for not having met me. This behavior exhibited towards strangers is very detrimental and not at all a positive method of communicating. People will be less likely to inflect candor or humor, or even to post quickly when others jump on their posts as though the entirety of their feelings and make-up are omnipresent in their posts.

I could have written an essay (tho now I am bordering on it) about my dog, about how I feel about animals, etc. If I felt I was being graded on my post, perhaps, I would have been eager to become that much more clear.

Why I am writing you back at the moment is so that you think twice in the future before judging someone you don't know. You may lose allies, you may say something to someone on the wrong day and time that has an unintended effect that you did not desire.

EDIT: By the way, a dog that is a "helper" dog an appendage. She was the limb that helped me work with those in hospice. I do NOT want to hear anything smart about it. Again, I didn't wish to bring up my dog with strangers, but I was trying to communicate. Won't do that again.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
lol, I thought this thread was about dogs but it looks like the cats have unsheathed the claws... my money's on Sonia

Meow!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hands down the best watch dog ever:

30lb full blooded chihuahua lol. Hes a bit imbred and dufus but he can catch rats,cats,chickens and ducks. Plus he keeps me warm at night since he insists on sleeping under the covers.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Also for the cat lovers.

Cartman, at 26.4lbs he can't do much but get pissed off that his (huge) food bowl is empty again but he is incredibly amusing.

My g/f and I adopted him this way and he's on a diet but its hard to tell if hes losing weight.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I prefer my Catahulla Leopard Cur. He's smart, loyal, and great with my family. He was bred for the area I live in, Florida, so he's a good water dog, a fair retriever, and brave to a fault. He has been the best dog I've ever had.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join