It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unruly Schoolboys Charged as Sex Offenders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Unruly Schoolboys Charged as Sex Offenders

www.oregonlive.com

The two boys tore down the hall of Patton Middle School after lunch, swatting the bottoms of girls as they ran -- what some kids later said was a common form of greeting.

Snip

Now, Cory Mashburn and Ryan Cornelison, both 13, face the prospect of 10 years in juvenile detention and a lifetime on the sex offender registry in a case that poses a fundamental question: When is horseplay a crime?
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/22/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The complete story is rather long at six pages but a must read since it points out things that are not on page one, such as girls also swatting the boys butts and possible coercion by school officials.

After reading it, I think both the teacher and cops are way out of line. This was nothing more then a school prank now they want to label them as sex offenders for life just because they slapped a girls behind.

You have just witnessed the coming of our new police state.

:shk:

www.oregonlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/22/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I dont agree with them being labled sex offenders. Out here in California the schools have a no tolerance hands off policy. They would get kicked out for this.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by vckums]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vckums
I dont agree with them being labled sex offenders. Out here in California the schools have a no tolerance hands off policy. They would get kicked out for this.

Most areas have the same policy yet thegirls were not charged why?

All told, Roache interviewed 14 students besides Cornelison and Mashburn. Seven confessed to bottom-swatting, including one girl who described it as "a handshake we do." Two of the alleged victims said they had swatted boys' buttocks themselves.
From page 3 of source

This is a prime example of the upcoming police state that we are facing

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
God damn, we're going to have to lock up all those professional athletes now, aren't we?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
God damn, we're going to have to lock up all those professional athletes now, aren't we?

No kidding. I wonder if this had been gays if they would have charged them for hitting a guy and labeled thm as a sex offender for life? Why no charges against the girls who confessed? Welcome to your friendly police state

SR

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
LOOOL that's one of the craziest things i've ever read oh my god what's next moms and dads can't kiss there kids goodbye cause it may mean they have pedo tendacies or something who actually writes these laws up they must be a right wind up merchant. This aint even a problem i see more stories of teachers having sex with pupils in the papers these days than ever but that's just brushed under the carpet.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by SR]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

All told, Roache interviewed 14 students besides Cornelison and Mashburn. Seven confessed to bottom-swatting, including one girl who described it as "a handshake we do." Two of the alleged victims said they had swatted boys' buttocks themselves.
From page 3 of source

Maybe it had to be witnessed? *shrugs* I do not agree with not charging the girls only the guys. You'd have to find out what their laws are there for this. Does it need to be witnessed, can it go by hearsay only etc.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Maybe it had to be witnessed? *shrugs* I do not agree with not charging the girls only the guys. You'd have to find out what their laws are there for this. Does it need to be witnessed, can it go by hearsay only etc.

Why would it have to be witnessed when one possibly two of the girls admitted doing it?

As for finding out what the laws are??? Come on give us a break if this had happened on a street or in a bar/night club at best the charges would have been disorderly conduct or perhaps [simple] assault and battery and we all know it. But no, thanks to the wonderful idiot
DA they are being chrarged as criminal sex offenders and could be labeld as such for the rest of their life.

I see this as another Duke like Case where the DA is trying to make a big name for himself using innocent boys who more then likely did not even know what sexual abuse is.

if I were the principal of the school I would have a few choice words with that aide and set her straight in a heart beat. (Note the cops gave them five days in jail after hauling them away in handcuffs while the school settled for 5 days of expulsion. If the kids were not disregarding her commands, it was not necessary to get the police involved. I am only saying that with the absence of comments saying they did try to hinder the aide in any way shape or form.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Unbelievable! This is Adults Gone Wild! I predict this will have the opposite effect on the kids; adults usually don't like to brag about being in trouble with the law (family, job, etc.) but male teenagers have no problem bragging about having been arrested, jailed, etc., in a show of how "tough" they are.

So, will they outlaw the athletes patting each other's butt? And what about the girls? This is why this is all so stupid.
The adults involved may be smart, but they show no common sense. Perhaps the educators involved should not be working with this age group of students. I was going to say that they should not have gotten law enforcement involved, but apparently there was a campus LE already. Gives new meaning to "kindergarten cop".

Suspension, then expulsion if that has no effect on the offenders. But jail time??? "Sex offender"? Give me a break.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

A teacher saw it, the girls never complained.
video here on foxnews

video

Can anyone explain to me the ouble standard applied to these things, between what girls do and what boys do?

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by andy1033]

[edit on 25/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Amourous Beijing couples told to be careful of surveillance cameras
BEIJING (AP) - Beijing couples who steal a kiss in public are being warned they could be caught on closed-circuit television - and suspected of committing a crime.
China's Xinhua News Agency reports "intimate acts of lovers may be initially categorized as 'kidnapping' or 'robbery' by the computers, which are programmed to be sensitive to violations of safe distances." Police officers monitoring the cameras will decide if the situation really is dangerous.

Here you go a little extra, in china if adult couples choose to touch each other in front of the cameras they may be seen as criminals.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
well, as usual the mods swooped in and closed another thread...
even though it was going well and had more posts than this one.....i just don't get it.

on topic, i think this sucks and of course was way overboard.....

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Most areas have the same policy yet thegirls were not charged why?

Good question. The only possible answer is that it's sexism.

I'm not at all comfortable with the way the law is working in conjunction with the government (schools) to usurp the authority of parents. This matter should never have the law involved! The school should have meted some punishment (detention or suspension) to BOTH girls and boys and let the parents know and then the parents could handle it.

This kind of thing is happening far too often where the school calls the law instead of the parents.

I don't like where this is going... I'm glad I don't have kids in the public school system.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
....to usurp the authority of parents.

OK, I've seen the word "usurp" used twice today in threads and I've had just about enough of it!!

On topic, IMO the meaning of getting slapped on the butt by the opposite sex at thirteen y/o starts to take on more of a "birds and the bees"/consensual type meaning than when you're younger and more innocent. It should not be condoned. Now having said that, if I had, say, a seven y/o son and he was running around slapping girls on the butt, I personally would put a stop to it mainly because if I didn't do anything he would grow up thinking that was alright and a standard greeting practice.

BTW, I don't think these boys should be labeled as sex offenders, but instead I think their parents should. Also, there's a HUGE difference between a girl doing this to a boy and a boy doing this to a girl. Call it "sexism" if you will, but it's just not the same thing.

Peace

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Also, there's a HUGE difference between a girl doing this to a boy and a boy doing this to a girl. Call it "sexism" if you will, but it's just not the same thing.

What's the difference?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think many are missing one of the main points here so lets refresh for just one minute.

Notice the similarity between the Duke prosecutor and the one who is pressing these charges. Hmmmm prosecutorial misconduct comes to mind here real fast. He tried others last year using similar charges only at that time he lowered the charges way down to a misdemeanor, but not this year. If you listen to what he is said you would think the girls were raped for crying out loud he is a dolt and should be disbarred.

"These cases are devastating to children," he said. "They are life-altering cases." (Same Source as Original)

Now I ask you just what is so devastating and how does it alter ones life? Before you answer that, answer this, when you were his age and it happened to your or by you, did it ever alter your life? They are kids for crying out loud and kids will be kids. In addition on the video the young man clearly says no one at the school ever made him aware that what he did was wrong to do, yet this over zealous DA wants to take him out and label him and the others as a sex offender for life.

Using this dolts mentality if he had his way virtually every man in the world and yes some girls would also have be labeled as sex offenders for life if they slapped someones behind.

In the video the boy clearly and I think the lawyer also state the girls never complained it was the teachers aide which goes in line with what some mentioned about overreaction on the aides part.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Is it good that they they have to go to court , jail sentences and all that crap?
Well, probably over exaggerated for the actual chain of events that happened.

However, rules remain rules.
You break them? We break you, that's how it works.

Now if the school doesn't have rules on this and they just decided to punish the kids, then it's different.

But if they DO, in the end, you're still violating a rule, and you shouldn't be surprised that SOMETHING might happen (no matter how extreme).

It's your fault for breaking the rule in the first place. (Even if someone else ''seduced'' you, lol, in which case police / whomever should just check the full thing out
)

If I have a jar of cookies, and I say, no touching my jar of cookies, but you still steal one and eat it, and I catch you doing it? If I cut your hand off, you and others would probably think "Omg that's extreme and totally uncalled for".

But is it uncalled for? You breach my jar of cookies, and violate my rule, I punish ''accordingly''.

So in the end, yes it may be too much, but if you get punished for a rule you broke, then it's your own fault for ending up in this crap in the first place.

[edit on 25/7/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm not at all comfortable with the way the law is working in conjunction with the government (schools) to usurp the authority of parents. This matter should never have the law involved! The school should have meted some punishment (detention or suspension) and let the parents know and then the parents could handle it.

[above taken from other thread BH. Post

The school did give them five days suspension and they considered it done.

Again from the source article it states

"We followed our policy and set a five-day suspension," the district superintendent said in a statement. "The district played no role in the legal proceedings that followed."
www.oregonlive.com

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-

But is it uncalled for? You breach my jar of cookies, and violate my rule, I punish ''accordingly''.

Watch the video and listen to what the young man says regrding the rules.

video

There goes your rule right out the window according to him the school never made him aware of one.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by shots]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join