It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amtrak throws diabetic man off train...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Police: Diabetic Man Missing After Being Kicked Off Train

A 65-year-old St. Louis man is missing after Amtrak personnel, mistaking his diabetic shock for drunk and disorderly behavior, kicked him off a train in the middle of a national forest, according to police in Williams, Ariz.

"He was let off in the middle of a national forest, which is about 800,000 acres of beautiful pine trees," Lt. Mike Graham said.

Police said there is no train station or running water at the crossing, which is about two miles from the nearest road, at an elevation of about 8,000 feet.

More...

What a sick injustice!

I swear we have lost our minds in this country.

So Amtrak gets to impose a possible death sentence whenever it feels some 'situation' merits it?

[edit on 29-6-2007 by loam]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Make that 'probable' instead of 'possible'.

Unless he found some berries to eat right away, if he had the presence of mind to do so.

And even if he had been drunk, that is still unbelievably cruel.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is incredible, if indeed the news story is true...

Whether he was drunk or diabetic, you DON'T leave him in the middle of nowhere with no chance of contact or survival beyond your own survival instinct.

I'm going to have to look into this further, I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so thoughtless...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I've seen this story now in a few places...

It looks like the real deal.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Even if he'd be drunk like they thought, by what logic do you dumb someone drunk in the middle of nowhere? Doesn't the fact that they are drunk kind of make their survival even more unlikely? That's manslaughter right there.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The guy is missing. This is a dangerous situation. But that begs the question: how do they know that he was going into diabetic shock if he is missing?

At any rate, the Great Karnak predicts a lawsuit is in the making...

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
They found him alive. YAY!

Let's pretend he was drunk. As the sheriff in the area he was left stated - you don't leave some one in a place like this. Besides, he most likely would have had to have gotten drunk off Amtrak's alcohol - and they probably don't have all inclusive, so they would have been making money to get him that way and then dumping him out after they had him drunk.

I think in the old school that's called "rolling" some one, isn't it?

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

I think in the old school that's called "rolling" some one, isn't it?

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Valhall]

Negative.
'Rolling' someone is derived from rolling a passed out drunk over so you can steal his wallet.
Its not limited to passed out drunks, as many a men have been forcibly knocked out and then 'rolled'.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
My mom told me she heard he was also naked, but I do agree they could of held him until they got to a stop or something.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I can't believe this. There should be a space and the means to contain even drunk and disorderly riders until they can be delivered to the appropriate authorities.

This is the most irresponsible thing I've heard of in a very long time.

In fact, given the the length of trips on Amtrak, there should be an EMT or similarly accredited individual on every train.

I hope he sues Amtrak for a billion dollars.

[edit on 2007/7/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
According to this, the Amtrak conductor stayed with Sims at the remote station until authorities arrived, but Simms fled into the woods at that time.

That should be easy to corroborate.

If that's true, it's probably not as bad as it sounds, but Amtrak still needs to be better equipped to handle such situations.

video.knbc.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Shackle the man up if you must. But deserting a disoriented man in the middle of nowhere is cruel and unusual punishment and is thus unconstitutional!

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
According to this, the Amtrak conductor stayed with Sims at the remote station until authorities arrived, but Simms fled into the woods at that time.

If that's true, it's probably not as bad as it sounds, but Amtrak still needs to be better equipped to handle such situations.

video.knbc.com...

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better.

What a crazy story. :shk:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A conductor abandoned his train? I don't think so.

Did anyone check him for a "medic alert" bracelet?

Drunks reek of alcohol - diabetic shock victims do not.

This is a prime example of the western sickness of bullying. A gang of thugs found a victim and got their rocks off.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have to tell you i've travelled by train extensively, going from Boston to Flagstaff Arizona many, many times because i'm afraid to fly.

Just about on every trip, they kick people out in the middle of a field somewhere if they are unruly- i dont care if its an entire family with 5 little kids. They get kicked out. Now if the conductor is in a good mood, they will wait till they are in the center of some ungodly town and they will call the Sheriff, otherwise, they will stop and kick whoever is misbehaving out.

I've seen it just about every trip. This isnt something new, this doesnt have anything to do with Bush (did i say that?) this has been going on for many years. They have NO tolerance for people who cant follow simple rules and start trouble or cant cooperate.

I think its very pleasant to travel Amtrak, and i do it once a year- but then again i've not been dropped off in the middle of a field someplace.

This is truly a shame to mistake this persons symptoms for alcoholism
They should have spent time with the person and gotten to the bottom of this. its an outrage.
The last train i took, was 2 years ago from Flagstaff to Boston and when we stopped off in New Mexico ( ughhhh) someone shot himself right on the train. :shk:

I cant really blame them for throwing out people who they think might be a potential problem. I know this first hand.

Do i think its fair? NO. But do i want to get shot? NO.

I guess i'm on the fence.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippichick
A conductor abandoned his train?

Where did you read that?

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

video.knbc.com...

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better.

What a crazy story. :shk:
Since when does a conductor stay with people they kick out???That is not true, i wasnt there, but i bet anything its a lie. They made this up so people wouldnt stop riding AMTRAK.

I'd stake my life on it. They are ruthless and think NOTHING of abandoning people anyplace.

new topics

top topics

join