It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Land of the Obese?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
why not just take the kid to the local morgue and show him the insides of a fat person..like how the heart would be ..the layers..etc. that could be a wake up call.

Yea and why don't we just take teen drug addicts and show them dead OD's?

If it was that easy nobody would be fat. The vast majority still fail to recognize that food addiction is the very worst addiction to have or that it is even an addiction at all.

Hey cigarette smokers, what if someone told you instead of quitting smoking you had to cut back from a pack a day to 3 cigs a day and maintain there? How long until you would be back up to the pack a day?

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
There are people that have ate a home cooked meal in ages. .... I think it all reverts back to the "culture of laziness."

I think alnother issue is the modern concept of a home-cooked meal. All too often, it comes out of a box or paackage and ends up little better, or worse, thatn fast food.
Full of fat, empty carbs and high fructose corn syrup, these meals bear no resemblance to meals cooked "from scratch" in years gone by.
The excuse/reason is often lack of time, but really, it's just more convenient to go this route.
And, these meals contribute to national obesity levels.

Other factors:
portion control---or lack of
carbonated beverages
too many sugary desserts

--2 cents

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I don't get it, even when I had a full time job I always had time to cook a home meal everyday.

So I guess is laziness rather than no time, good planing helps keep the family healthy.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Glad to see this on here. I think it is a conspiracy to kill us off before we can collect social security. There is more to it than just eating too much. The culprit is eating the wrong things. These things are highly processed empty calories and fats which load up on calories and leave you craving for more. Becomes a vicious cycle causing obesity.
The main culprits are:

High fructose corn syrup is one cause for obesity. Empty calories with a high glycemic index. It should be banned. Major cause of type 2 diabetes in children and adults.

Saturated fats are another, found in any fried food. Lots of calories and no nutrients. Major cause of inflammatory diseases.

Refined sugar. See corn syrup.

Refined flour products. Just as bad as corn syrup in terms of glycemic load.

White potato products. Ditto.

Lack of essential fatty acids, EPA/DHA which cause bipolar disease, ADHD, depression which makes people crave carbs.

Constatnt stress and nutrient(not calorie) malnutrition which causes adrenal insufficiency which makes people crave salt and sugar leading to excess calorie intake.

Meat fed on grain and animal byproducts which has the wrong ratio of fatty acids in it leading to inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. grass fed beef/pork/lamb is safe but it costs too much.

Lack of raw vegetable consumption which causes too rapid digestion of the cheap refined foods they do eat, leading to insulin swings, hunger pangs, and obesity.

Anf finally, the automobile, the elevator, the supermarket eliminates exercise for 90% of people. Note that people in manhattan are generally thin because they walk alot, food is expensive and they dont use cars.

These things have been known for decades by our government, FDA and they don't do anything about it for economic(big agriculture, food processing companys), political(the people want their cheap refined carbs and cheap protein and fat), and as i suggested at first, because it keeps the number of social security recipients down. If we ate a healthy diet and exercised we would have an average life expectancy in the mid to upper 80s and social security would be bankrupt right now. The next step will probably be to cut out medical insurance so people die even sooner.

[edit on 16-6-2007 by j_kalin]

[edit on 16-6-2007 by j_kalin]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Its all fords fault!..how many fat people do you see rideing a bike? none. I think the gov. should offer free lipo-suction and use the harvest to run city bus's ,power plants, etc. ..harvesting fat people is a lot easyer than drilling for oil..there easy to spot, there every where, and there renewable.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Ya know its time to lose weight when:

Well meaning people at the beach try and drag you back into the water.

You keep seeing a peg legged fellow with a harpoon out of the corner of your eye.

Some snotty nosed brat climbs up your belly and tries to plant a flag on it.

The only time you see it anymore is when you stand naked in front of a mirror.

Small objects start orbiting around you.

When you say that you are considering going on a diet, the stock of fast food companies begin tumbling.

People start calling you Jabba the Hutt behind your back.....

..... and so many more.

p.s. I am not making jokes about fat people... I say these things about myself.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have a few axes to grind concerning diet.
If you are a family man/woman surely health and diet (to a point) is in your hands. Not just for your offspring but yourself and partner. Healthy eating and a balanced diet are important for obvious reasons and I see no reason why some individual and/or the family cannot step outside a disciplined healthy eating lifestyle occasionally and indulge in a treat.
Most of my teenage and adult life I was a vegetarian - 30 years in total -and I cycled quite a few miles to get to work 6 days a week to do a high activity job.
I never took vitamin suppliments nor purchased frozen food, sweets, cakes or chocolate and once in a blue moon I would buy a fillet of fish fresh from the local indoor market. Most seasonal vegetables were grown by my paternal grandfather who also grew strawberrys, gooseberrys and had apple trees and cultivated culinary and medicinel herbs. My mother and her sister still collect seasonal blackberrys, rosehips, bilberrys, nuts, elderberrys, wild damsons and ferment ther own nettle wine.
I have to add that in our fast paced societies I see many people around town eating on 'the hoof'.
The image marketing of the fast food drive throughs (once the preserve of younger members of our society) have rapidly expanded to other age groups and how idle is that?!
The working practices have also changed within a few decades. Physical labour is reduced as mechanisation took away a lot of physical labour from certain industries and many more people now are employed in administrative occupations which involve little physical effort.
I could ramble on a little more however I will close on this point. Look after yourself and those you love.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Yea and why don't we just take teen drug addicts and show them dead OD's?

dude yeah! I will be doing that to my kids showing them pictures and telling them stories..just keeping it real. why not show the realities of it..i mean also it's good show success stories of people who overcame their addictions and made something positive of them selfs.
does anyone watch the show BIG medicine onnnnnn umm i think Discovery channel? prettty gnarly stuff. even showing that to a person addicted to eating could possibly make em chill out..

and to the whole "not time for cooking" HELLO !racheal rays 30 minute meals anyone??

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Could emulsifier-additives be a factor in obesity?

From what I understand, these additives help the water and fat ingredients bind together...one end of the emulsifier molecule is attracted to and will bind to fat, and the other end of the molecule chain is attracted to and will bind with water.

Stands to reason then, that if you eat to much cheap-mass-produced foodstuffs containing these agents, the same effect will occur with water being bound to body fat, so adding to the body's bulk

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Please let me know your thoughts.

[edit on 14/6/2007 by budski]

Yes america is the land of the fat....

someone calculated if all the fatties in americ jumped at the same time from a 1 metre height they could cause an earthquake in california...

when the stormstruck and new orleans was shown on tv and the people there whining about food...i was shocked how just fat they were..

i mean reallyfat...

fat as in 3 times as WIDE as me...

waddling like ducks wearing shorts from side to side and here they were whinging about a few hours without food..

i dare say they easily have lasted 3 weeks without food...

a prisoner in ireland called bobby sands or samms went on hunger strike and lasted for 30 days and he was NOT fat...

so thi means a fat american could last for more then 30 days easily...
and also benefit from leanerbody...

and the americn police force and thesheriffs are so fat...i mean gut hanging over their belt and being very ignorant with small town minds...

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Could emulsifier-additives be a factor in obesity?

From what I understand, these additives help the water and fat ingredients bind together...one end of the emulsifier molecule is attracted to and will bind to fat, and the other end of the molecule chain is attracted to and will bind with water.

Stands to reason then, that if you eat to much cheap-mass-produced foodstuffs containing these agents, the same effect will occur with water being bound to body fat, so adding to the body's bulk

Excellent point, and one I'd like to explore further.
However with processed foods and fast/junk foods, let's not forget the high amounts of hydrogenated fats, saturated fats, sugars and sodium, all of which are potentially very damaging.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
when the stormstruck and new orleans was shown on tv and the people there whining about food...i was shocked how just fat they were..

i mean reallyfat...

fat as in 3 times as WIDE as me...

waddling like ducks wearing shorts from side to side and here they were whinging about a few hours without food..

i dare say they easily have lasted 3 weeks without food...

a prisoner in ireland called bobby sands or samms went on hunger strike and lasted for 30 days and he was NOT fat...

so thi means a fat american could last for more then 30 days easily...
and also benefit from leanerbody...

I do believe, but I may be wrong, that fat people would be worse off in a starvation scenario, due to their metabolism.

Mildly overweight and you may do better, but obese and you'll probably fair worse than the skinny people.

Kind of ironic really....

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Whenever I see an overweight man, woman or child I know that the sacred survival instinct in them has gone flat. Granted some individuals are normally large. That's cool. But genetics are not what's happening in the (ex) white man's domain today. It's the welfare mentality: "our government will take care of us when we get sick, so my personal health is not my problem."

And, boy, do they get sick. They don't fit right, so they're always having accidents. Their intestines are overburdened trying to clease old fecal matter that wont filter, which ends up poisoning them. It wears down the immune system. Health care workers can't lift them, so new straps and pullys are used to turn them over. Health care workers can't see the floor because huge patient guts cast huge shadows across the hospital floor, so new floor lights are installed. They're driving the cost of health care through the roof - chunks of money out of everyone's pocket.

The main part of living in a state where every citizen is treated as an individual, is personal responsibility. There's lots of interesting niches of information on the internet. Health information and news isn't one of the sexier search items. But, for people who are intelligent and don't want to be plagued by chronic disease by the time they are middle-aged, that preventative information is out there for free.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Perhaps this kind of thing has something to do with it?

www.snopes.com...

Cripes, I nearly got sick just reading the thing - how can people do this to themselves?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
cannibalgod70, whilst I agree with the general premise of your post, I find it funny and ironic that you blame the "welfare state" when the nation with the worlds highest obesity rates is the one industrialised nation without a National health service...

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Think about a United States without any hostpitals, doctors, or perscription drugs.

The country would fall apart. Wouldn't it? Most people fail in making health choices. They eat fried foods, sugar candies, and smoke cigarettes.

I on the other hand do not need a doctor and don't get sick at all.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
cannibalgod70, whilst I agree with the general premise of your post, I find it funny and ironic that you blame the "welfare state" when the nation with the worlds highest obesity rates is the one industrialised nation without a National health service...

Don't they have social welfare clinics for the poor?
2nd class medicine granted, but it's there nonetheless as a kind of pro bono if I remember correctly.

You'd think that the "richest" nation on earth would look after it's citizens better, instead of just those who can afford it.

And indeed the 5th richest - UK apparently

[edit on 20/6/2007 by budski]

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by realanswers
Think about a United States without any hostpitals, doctors, or perscription drugs.

The country would fall apart. Wouldn't it? Most people fail in making health choices. They eat fried foods, sugar candies, and smoke cigarettes.

I on the other hand do not need a doctor and don't get sick at all.

From what I've read, when doctors go on strike, the death rates actually go down (this has happened in Canada and Israel, the doctors would only perform life-saving surgeries and nothing else).

Most of the people that go to a doctor would be fine without a doctor. Several books have been published documenting this, can look some up if you like.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Speaking of obesity, why no "fat tax"?

I have to pay taxes for my smokes, and I'm at optimum weight. But, I may cost everyone money later in my life with health care costs. Fat people do the same. I believe being overweight is more dangerous to one's health than smoking.

So... why no "slob" tax?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by malooka
Speaking of obesity, why no "fat tax"?

I have to pay taxes for my smokes, and I'm at optimum weight. But, I may cost everyone money later in my life with health care costs. Fat people do the same. I believe being overweight is more dangerous to one's health than smoking.

So... why no "slob" tax?

Interestingly, the revenue taken from smokers in duty and tax exceeds what the NHS (in the UK anyway) spends on smoking related illnesses.

Can fat people say the same about their own tax contributions?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join