It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Land of the Obese?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Did you check this page out:

globalis.gvu.unu.edu...

I can't believe there are places where life expectancy is down at 35 yrs. I also can't believe with all the advanced health care that the West is in the middle of the pack. It would seem also that countries with consistently low temps have long life spans. Makes sense though.

Yes, I saw this when looking at the life exp. of tongans, but wanted to come back to it after discussing the tongan situation.

Looks like you beat me to it!

Interesting that a reasonable proportion of the top nations traditionally have a fish-rich diet

Not so surprising is that a lot of the bottom nations are war zones and are african - I think the aids/africa problem may also have a lot to do with the stats.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by paigcal
Wow, that is interesting. You would think since they live somewhere tropical, that they would live off fruits from the trees. They probably got sick of fruit. I think their main problem is mixing proteins with starches. When you mix these it makes it harder to digest. The body has to work overtime. When you mix meat and any kind of starch or carbohydrate, the body can't digest these, so they accumulate in the body, adding to their weight. It is also not good to eat friut and then eat some meat. They should wait at least a half an hour before they eat anything other than fruit. I don't know for a fact how these people eat their food and what they are mixing. I will have to do some more reading and find out more information. Digestion is the key to weight loss, you have to be able to digest your food so it expelled from the body.

Living somewhere tropical doesn't necessarily mean that there is an abundance of fruit or fish - again, look at tonga, traditionally a fish eating society, they don't bother anymore because other nations are destroying their fishing grounds.
I think that with some of these nations, education about health and what to eat would be beneficial.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by paigcal
Digestion is the key to weight loss, you have to be able to digest your food so it expelled from the body.

Digestion is an important key to weight gain. If something is not absorbed it cant turn into fat. That's why gastric bypass works so well. Foods that don't digest are just passed almost as they were ingested.

Maybe I'm reading what you said wrong though.

As for mixing certain types of food, it is true that certain combos are not good. Regarding fruit, too much of anything is bad and fruit is loaded with sugar. In small portions it metabolizes very quickly but eat too much and it stores as fat just like anything else.

The Tongans eat too much corned beef and pork. Also from what they say their corned beef is much higher in fat than in the USA for example. Also, most people in the west are now eating a much leaner pork than we used to, the Tongans are not.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
True,
according to the programme I saw, their corned beef contains more than twice the fat of that in the UK.

Another favourite food is pork belly's, containing a massive 50% fat.

Mcdonalds, all is forgiven (not)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This may be way out there, but here goes.

I believe parasites living in our intestinal tract are the reason for much of the obesity problems people have. It is in part due to the diet of fried foods, etc. we consume.

I have several issues, for which the medical community have no way to help me. Not willing to accept the prognosis, I have been reading up on parasites that live in the human body and the kinds of side effects, living with these creatures inside you, brings.

I have undertaken a parasite clensing program bought at a local health food store, which claims to rid the body of unwelcome visitors. Five days into the program, and seeing what is starting to come out of me, I am going to see the program through...2 15 day sessions of herbs, with a 5 day break in between.

I see where some people actually photograph some of the results, disgusting.

I will update my findings in this thread, if you want. I am not sure of pictures though, the digging in the bowl with chop sticks may not work for me, as I have trouble with chop sticks. There are plenty of pictures already on the net.

The fact that my symptoms have already started to improve, is incouraging. Probably the only doctors who promote this herbal treatment are in less advanced cultures. My Asian friend said, "Come to China, we use herbs that could probably help you."

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
By all means, keep us informed of progress, but I can't take gross pics

What are you hoping to achieve from this programme?

Also, can you provide links to sites for more info?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It seems there is a lot of info right here in ATS.

You just need to search "parasites in humans" for some info.

The more I read about this, the faster I want it to work. There is a lot of talk about diet being a big issue, as the main cause for parasites to invade your body. Also living with Cats and Dogs in your house. I grew up on a farm, with all kinds of animals around, My risk of invasion by these was high.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Aren't there also some good parasites that consume waste and actually clean the intestinal tract and colon?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Aren't there also some good parasites that consume waste and actually clean the intestinal tract and colon?

I'm pretty sure that our bodies are chock-full of parasites and bacteria - both good and bad.

Good point though, how do you separate the two?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Good point though, how do you separate the two?

That's what I'm thinking.

When you do a cleansing I would think that everything comes out including the good stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
They say it has to do with fibre and diet, where the good guys can proifirate while the bad guys leave.

When you have things like Iratible Bowell Syndrom and Chrones, as well as many other things the MD's can't cure, bothering you, drastic times require drastic measures.

They say to eat plain yogurt, in order to promote the good bacteria growth. I can't imagine there being anything good coming out of 6" to 2' worm like parasites. I do believe the good guys to be microscopic bacteria, which the herbs do not remove. It is not like antibiotics, which wipe out every thing.

It has to do with the toxins those undesirable entities excrete, where most of our problems come from.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I had some stomach problems last year, and used a probiotic yoghurt drink, which actually helped.

Parasites, though - different thing altogether - they make me shudder

[edit on 28/6/2007 by budski]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
There is now a yogurt drink available in supermarkets here in the USA called Activia that is supposed to strengthen the immune system in the intestines.

I picked it up once but it's very expensive to be using all the time. You only get a 4 pack of 6oz bottles for like a buck a bottle.

Here's the link if you guys want to check it out:

www.dannonactivia.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

There is now a yogurt drink available in supermarkets here in the USA called Activia that is supposed to strengthen the immune system in the intestines.

I picked it up once but it's very expensive to be using all the time. You only get a 4 pack of 6oz bottles for like a buck a bottle.

Here's the link if you guys want to check it out:

www.dannonactivia.com...

Yeah, that's the one - they had it on special offer in the local supermarket, 2 for 1 - so I thought, why not?

I don't know what it did, but it certainly helped me.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ther will be more obese people as technology increases that would make us do less tasks that would of requiered physical movement which the internet has helped create by not having to go and shop for the stuff you want when you could just sit and relax while your order comes in the mail. Another thing is the tons of advertisements targeted towards young people into thinking these unhealthy foods are good for them. These companies don't give a damn about anyone all they want is the stocks of these products to rise and increase their wealth.The more you eat mc donalds and burger king and others the more you'll see them in a block near you.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve-o
Ther will be more obese people as technology increases that would make us do less tasks that would of requiered physical movement which the internet has helped create by not having to go and shop for the stuff you want when you could just sit and relax while your order comes in the mail. Another thing is the tons of advertisements targeted towards young people into thinking these unhealthy foods are good for them. These companies don't give a damn about anyone all they want is the stocks of these products to rise and increase their wealth.The more you eat mc donalds and burger king and others the more you'll see them in a block near you.

I had to do an economics paper on Mcdonalds at college - up until then I'd never eaten there - after doing the paper, I made sure I never did.

Corporate scum of the worst kind.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
And then you have the teenage workers that don't want to work in the first place dropping food on the floor or spitting in it if they are miffed. That's just the tip of the global warmed melting iceberg.

Of course even older restaurant workers do childish things like that.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
When I was younger I used to be obese as well so I know how some people feel that are obese ,so when I look back at that time of my life I be like "damn what was I thinkin" ,but knowing how thankful that I passed that phase since I'm in great shape now.I try not to think about all these fast food joints.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I've always been pretty lucky when it comes to my build - and I do count myself lucky.

I was blessed with a slim build, of course over the years as I've done a lot of exercise, I've become stockier.

Then when I injured my back I piled on a few pounds (after all I'm nearly 40 now, bound to happen) but I could in no way be considered obese.

During this thread, I've read about a lot of people who have to battle weight all their lives, and it's this that's made me realise just how lucky I am.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I wasn't as lucky as you have been budski,thanks for the post, but I've gotten to that size of build by not exercising as much as I should of due to my true passion of drawing and painting science fiction inspired art.As I got older I started shifting to impress the "ladies" while still getting to do what I wanted to do without thinking on what I was gonna eat, it all comes up to right food portioning and 30 minutes of exercise daily.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join