It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of sight, not light

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
When we are looking to the stars for ufos, galaxy x is so many light years away right? Well our eyes see everthing instantly, do our eyes only see star x when the light from that star reaches us? Or does our eye sight meet the light halfway?

Why do we see our neighbors house instantly as we look at it, it has no light its siding and shingles? Or our hand in front of our face?

HOw far can our eyesight reach? Maybee we should be talking about speed of sight not light!

Or maybe Ive had one two many tonight, either way someone please explain it to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
My feeling is that speed of THOUGHT is even faster, and I believe that is how these craft operate. Before anyone lambastes me, let me state that is only my opinion. lol

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I believe the next step to evolution is to find the connection between how the world is created and our eyes. I think to say that the eye converts light and relays it to our head is not enough. The eye is a divine thing and it should searched for hidden motives.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
My feeling is that speed of THOUGHT is even faster, and I believe that is how these craft operate. Before anyone lambastes me, let me state that is only my opinion. lol

Hey its all opinions, how else could they get here 20 light years away, they have a technology way beyond us

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Speed of light and speed of sight are the same thing, when we look at stars we are seeing them in there state in the past, depending on there distance.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Hey its all opinions, how else could they get here 20 light years away, they have a technology way beyond us

Speaking of technology..Anybody else having problems with ATS the past 2 days like pages taking light years to load??..Or is it just me?? Sorry for going off topic..

Interesting topic..But far to late into my Friday to get involved LOL...I save my serious thought for mid-week

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No redseal.

Our eyes see light that is reflected off of things. They only see what ENTERS THEM. That's all that sight is - light that is reflected off of things into our eyes.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
No redseal.

Our eyes see light that is reflected off of things. They only see what ENTERS THEM. That's all that sight is - light that is reflected off of things into our eyes.

Makes sense, thank you

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Speedy as a jack-rabbit for me, GotAnyBob. Maybe your ISP is having
some problems. That happens here with our AT&T DSL on occassion.

Regarding the speed of light-sight, aren't they both one in the same?
When we look at a star that is 500 light years away, aren't we seeing
it as it was 500 hundred years ago? I've often wondered how scientists
can measure distances across space and time like that. Maybe someone
here can explain the process.

Speaking of space and time, I believe that the species that are visiting
earth share technology to overcome these barriers to interstellar
travel. The military spokesperson in another thread said that there are
at least 57 different alien species visiting earth. This indicates that there
is some huge technological breakthrough or secret that we too will
have access to, if mankind lives long enough. We'll be admitted to the
intergalactic warp club.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The way light works is, if you can see something, its reflecting light. when your looking at a star in the sky that is 20LY away, you are actually looking at it as it was 20 years ago because the light is just getting to your eye. When you see your neighbors house EVERYTHING you see is reflecting light, if it wasnt, you wouldnt be able to see it. just because the sun isnt lighting it directly doesnt mean the light from the sun isnt bouncing off of nearby objects, even the sky reflects some light. also technically when you look across the street you are not seeing it right away. light travels at a 186,282 miles per SECOND. so as the light is reflecting off an object across the street it is not instantaneous but its just so fast it appears instantaneous. if your were looking at a house 186,282 miles away it would take 1 second for that light to reach your eye so everything that were seeing happened 1 second before you see it. An easier way to understand this is to think of how sound travels. sound travels MUCH slower than light (769 mph). if you ever go to an airshow and see a jet approching the speed of sound its a very strange sensation. you see the jet fly by quietly and a few seconds later the sound will catch up to it like it JUST went by, but its already past you. i hope this helped

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
yes, to the previous poster, it's my opinion that if an object approaches the speed of light and surpasses it (yea supposedly impossible i know), it will beat TIME to the destination.

In the exact same manner it'll beat sound to the destination.

Because @ the speed of light, you really are at the very limits of the fabric and laws of reality, i think they can be bent. I think time is just like light and sound, i think it has a speed, and it can be surpassed in speed. its a measurement, and all measurements can be surpassed.

so i guess, i think travelling into the future is possible but not the past.

[edit on 4/28/2007 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thought operates through electric signals, and these signals can not be faster than light.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by manastin
Thought operates through electric signals, and these signals can not be faster than light.

Correct. In fact, in the human body, the rate of transmission of nerve signals is about 100 meters/second or thereabouts. Not light speed but fast enough to be "instant" from the eyeball to the visual cortex at the back of the brain.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I entertained this idea back when I was a child. After learning some basic physics and biology in high school I dismissed the idea. Like members have said before, whatever you see is the past. There is no "instant". When you look at the sun, you see it as it was 8 minutes ago. When you look at Sirius, you see it as it was 8 light years ago. You don't see them as they are (almost at present) because light takes that amount of time to reach to your eyes. All your eyes do is receive the signals. They don't send out anything.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
To the poster asking how you figure out how far away a star is - much of it is done based on movement with regard to other stars or to the sun. - just as when you're traveling in a car, nearer objects seem to move fast while more distant ones move slower, the same is true for stars. If you can measure the position of a star in the sky at one equinox, and then at the other, you can use what you know about the earth's distance from itself at those points in the year, to figure out the size of the triangle those angles make.

Doppler shift also can be used to figure out things like binary star pairs, how they rotate, etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Speed of thought IS FASTER then anything (IMO & from what we already know) It is the fastest energy transfer from one point to another. This is how we our consciousness works and it is also how we will travel when we are deceased, as souls. Imagine being able to just think of what you want, or where you want to be at a cirtain point in time, and instantly you will be transformed there (by transformed i dont mean literaly de-meterialise but rather we will be traveling at the speed of thought)

Originally posted by squiz
Speed of light and speed of sight are the same thing, when we look at stars we are seeing them in there state in the past, depending on there distance.

correctemundo

[edit on 28-4-2007 by gtirlad2]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
yes, to the previous poster, it's my opinion that if an object approaches the speed of light and surpasses it (yea supposedly impossible i know), it will beat TIME to the destination.

In the exact same manner it'll beat sound to the destination.

Logically this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Speed is distance measured against time. For something to 'beat' time, it would have to have a faster 'speed' than time. How can you measure the 'distance' time covers against time? That would require measuring time against itself.

Time is not something that the waits to reach the destination. Time exists both at the destination and at the start-point. The difference between the two is then measured to determine speed. Time is a medium, not a message.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by TheStev]

[edit on 28-4-2007 by TheStev]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I entertained this idea back when I was a child. After learning some basic physics and biology in high school I dismissed the idea. Like members have said before, whatever you see is the past. There is no "instant". When you look at the sun, you see it as it was 8 minutes ago. When you look at Sirius, you see it as it was 8 light years ago. You don't see them as they are (almost at present) because light takes that amount of time to reach to your eyes. All your eyes do is receive the signals. They don't send out anything.

Thinking back to my school days, i guess I knew this too, just forgot it I guess!

Sorry for the stupid post

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
Logically this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Speed is distance measured against time. For something to 'beat' time, it would have to have a faster 'speed' than time. How can you measure the 'distance' time covers against time? That would require measuring time against itself.

Well I did clearly state that it is supposedly impossible and therefore it would not logically make much sense, being incorrect.

I take issue with the Big Bang theory. I was watching a reputable program on it and according to our beast measurements, (edit: I meant our best measures) in order for the universe to be expanding as we claim, and in order for it to have come from such a small point at the beginning as we claim, the matter which exploded outward during the Big Bang would've needed to travel *faster* than the speed of light for the first *7* seconds after the Big Bang occured, to be its present size.. the universe. This was the Science Channel.

I couldnt believe my ears. I just knew according to Einstein that moving faster than light was impossible because you'd circumvent time to the destination.

If light = time, and you move faster than light, you move faster than time, its really that simple, the notion of it. i know time is a measurement so it shouldnt be moving and have a speed. But you must admit if we call time what transpires as light from the Sun makes it to us and lights our day, so we can call it a day, so we can mark the sunrise and sunset, so we can have a 7am, 8am, 9am, and etc, then if something moved faster than light it could reach its destination before light, therefore getting to its destination BEFORE getting there lol .. or before being seen by the reflection of light. I dont know, the whole concept is wild, but some scientists are on the cutting edge of sending at the very least certain particles at the speed of light itself. they claim, that is..

And all IM saying is this:

The speed of light is either the universal all-encompassing limit of speed at which anything, any matter, any light, any particle can travel at the speed of, or it isn't. It either can't be surpassed, like a permanent roof, or it can be. And the scientific community can't go claiming matter can indeed travel faster than light when propelled by such an enormous force as the Big Bang, JUST to be able to explain their strange ass theory that is not entirely correct IMO.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
No redseal.

Quoted for truth.

I was going to say something along these lines.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join