It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas to use Bible as Textbook in Schools?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
We seem to be missing the part where it says that it would be offered as an 'elective' course.

What is the big deal? If you do not want to take a class on the bible and use it as a text for that class (which would make sense), then do not take the class.

it is still the allocation of funds towards a class that will most likely PReach beliefs instead of Teaching the document as literature.

So tell me, where is the problem with this?

that whole issue with the seperation of church and state under the everson ruling

And, in case it comes to someone thinking personal view point is affecting my thoughts on this: I am very against mixing church and state and blah blah blah. Making biology teachers teach intelligent design in their science class is a large step in the wrong direction. But offering an elective course that deals with the bible is not wrong as long as it is not a required course.

State colleges do this...so I ask again, Where is the problem here?

[edit on 4/4/0707 by spines]

money from a secular organization going towards teaching something that will most likely devolve into a class of preaching.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Do not Knock Public School, until you do the research of the ones in your area, The ones my child has gone to Scores were far higher then ANY Private in the area and one was 4th in the country of all grammar schools and we live in fairly high income areas. Now this is also why our public schools rank so high I imagine. But I have personally pulled my child out of 2 private schools, because they can make there own rules, lesson plans etc, this is where bible class would be taught.

Now If there was a course on WORLD RELIGIONS and Covered ALL Major religions and their teaching I think this would be a great course, especially with the violence done in the name of religion these days, but they are obviously not talking about doing that here and it is strictly a right wing Christian agenda.

Do you think they will tell them about how the Church, burned people at the stake because they said the earth wasn't the center of the universe, or perhaps a course on the inquisition or the other horrors perpetrated by Religion in the name of the bible. Think they will talk about Leviticus? I know there will be a lot of brothers trying to talk their parents into selling there sisters into slavery lol To me this is a work around for teaching creation in the class and thats one HUGE step back IMHO

[edit on 4-4-2007 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There really should be a way for the Bible to be available for at least some kind of elective class. I'm not sure how you'd get around the "prosletyzing" argument, though. In high school staple texts like the works of Dante Alighieri and Flannery O'Connor make sense, but lack meaning without the background.

I didn't go to a public high-school (mine was not affiliated with any religion, either), but some professors actually gave parts of the Bible as homework assignments for students that were unfamiliar with certain essential biblical themes.

I was one of the students that didn't know what the heck my peers were talking about most of the time because I hadn't read the Bible before that. Thing's like "Tower of Babel," "Mark of the Beast," huh, I didn't know what the heck they were talking about... Not to mention our class trip to Rome where I was one of the few that saw the Sistine Chapel and thought, "Meh, it's okay, but I thought it'd be a lot bigger," because I failed to see the
significance. Same with the Pietas (sp?) statue, and others.

I wish it would have been made available to me at the time. I understand the argument that there's the possibility for abuse, but the idea has potential. Certain state schools (universities) teach ancient Hebrew, Arabic, but no Latin (Classical, Medieval, or Church)... that fact may not have anything to do directly with this discussion but I thought it was worth mentioning, and there has been no major fuss (to my knowledge.)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Perhaps they should make it a few classes (kinda like a 4 year thing) ALL ELECTIVES... and... ya... cover all religions and teach the effects of religion and war in the past? ... maybe im totaly wrong... but it would be an interesting class (i think)

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Teach children how to survive in the world. Teach young adults what they desire.

Entice children with knowledge, but don't force it. That is the worst thing you can do.

I have no faith in the way most educational facilities are run. None. Every child is an individual with different needs, yet a school environment dumbs down the smart and intimidates those in need.

Tell a child about many things and they will want to learn and become what they can be based on what inspires them.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You guys have to understand one big thing when you see news articles like this article. They are purposely created media events. Hollywood and politicians are alike when it comes to steamrolling hype. This politician knows there is no chance that the Bible will be allowed to be used as a textbook but that really isn't the point. By doing this the politician stirs up controversy, which leads to face-to-face media coverage. As a politician, if you can get your picture in the paper or on television then you win. The story doesn’t matter. It is only the publicity that counts. The politician makes an outrageous, over the top, suggestion - the news organizations pick up on it and talk about him all day. And the people who voted for him in Texas (Christians) think “wow, he is trying to help us.” At the end of the day nothing has changed except the politician got himself some free publicity. And that is what it is all about.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This will wash over quickly. The chances of having a bible class in public school is as good as having a Quran class. Zero. However, if it was a "religion" course offered as an elective, that may be different.

During my religion course in college our theology professor mad it his goal to point out that all religions have evolved to fit the times and they all have glaring hypocrisies as well as meaningful parts. It wasn't until he pointed out the hypocrisies found in Christianity that he found much debate.
People easily point out the flaws in other religions yet will argue until their blue in the face over the flaws in their own.
Parents would have a field day with any "heathen" teacher who dare question the authority of Christianity in public school, so i think its safe to say, its either a bible class or bust.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As a textbook? What type of textbook? grammar? creative writing? In which way to they hope to apply the bible? that matters a lot, well sorry I need to read up on this thread and not just reply since I like the subject matter, so will do that next.

I am native Texan, and did the public schools there all 12yrs. We had bibles in our school library which was right, and never did any harm, they weren't forced on us, but were provided for our interest which was the right thing to do.

Schools SHOULD be a buffet of ideas and religious ideas should not be censored.

I homeschooled both of our daughters and didn't have to worry about such things.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What version of the bible would they use? This is no small issue. Wars have been fought over different translations of the bible. Can atheists study the bible along with fundamentalists in public schools? Can teachers with strongly-held relgious views fairly grade papers about the bible?

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Even if these classes were offered as electives, which students do you think would attend? It would mainly be christian students attending out of a sense of duty and unity.

I would find it hard to believe that even under the most ideal conditions, with an open minded teacher at the helm, that this kind of class would not diverge into a Sunday Bible school at some point. And this would be under ideal conditions.

What do you suppose would happen if the instructor was somewhat-less-than-open-minded? How would a person handle a class consisting of mostly duty-bound christian students intent on proselytizing?

It is hard to believe that this is nothing more than a political move to bring fundamental christianity into public schools. This is a less than clever design to do away with the separation of church and state.

If parents want to introduce religiious doctrine to their children, then take them to church and send them to Sunday school.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Even if these classes were offered as electives, which students do you think would attend? It would mainly be christian students attending out of a sense of duty and unity.

I would find it hard to believe that even under the most ideal conditions, with an open minded teacher at the helm, that this kind of class would not diverge into a Sunday Bible school at some point. And this would be under ideal conditions.

What do you suppose would happen if the instructor was somewhat-less-than-open-minded? How would a person handle a class consisting of mostly duty-bound christian students intent on proselytizing?

It is hard to believe that this is nothing more than a political move to bring fundamental christianity into public schools. This is a less than clever design to do away with the separation of church and state.

If parents want to introduce religiious doctrine to their children, then take them to church and send them to Sunday school.

They are teaching Quran in public schools in California complete with role playing games...have been doing this for some years now over the objections of Parents.
This has been downplayed severely in the media...verses articles like this one.

If this is in the case...someone is in fact teaching a religion in public schools before the Quran was introduced...the mechanics were already there to make this possible. The Quran and what it teaches is obvioiusly more acceptable to the state of California and less of a threat than the Bible. What they would not allow ..especially in California schools is the Bible.

I also submit as one poster above this post stated...they will censor that which they dont like or approve ...they dont want the competition for certain ideas....while claiming to be open minded.

You have to go to school now days and be educated not to see this for what it is. It is a religion and it is being taught in public schools..even before they began this class in Texas schools.

It is not a level playing field and it is intended not to be level.

Maria Stardust and others...I submit to you that public schooling paid for and financed by the body politics is promoting the religion necessary to groom the next generation of predictable, controllable, malliable, gauranteed voters...raised on a diet of televison and emotions/instant gratification. Not on independent, individual thinking and effort..but thinking only down one avenue.
This is not difficult to see when you have a generation of young people who define themselves by what they can consume ..not by what they actually know. This has been going on for some 40 plus years now and is getting worse.

You dont have to be smart to see this. It is probably better if you never got such indoctrination in the public arena. ..you would see it immediately.
I went to public school like most peoples. I have spent a lifetime getting over it.

All the problems that young people face daily trying to seduce them down one easy road after another...they need some kind of anchor to keep them from drifting. This is obvioiusly not being done in most public schools...especially in communitys with large populations.

To me public education like most social programs has become a job security effort...a jobs program...not primarily for the education of the children. It is job security...for this system. ..including the politicians who finance it. It is not difficult to think this through.
Learning to think outside the box of public education makes this very clear once the tools are in place to jump ship in thinking.
In poor nations where education is coveted...a teacher is a highly respected and for that area paid occupation. This is not the case in the USA...and is by this non virtue very telling of what is going on. You will not get this line of thinking in the public system. YOu must step out of it to realize this for what it is.

IN case you dont understand what I am saying Maria Stardust...public education is political. Only public education can dumb down the bulk of Americans so far they dont realize this and think it is normal. It is not.
And politics is a religion...complete with hidden rules not known by the bulk of the public. Some of the public is catching on to this fingerprint of both politics and public schools.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 23-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Maria Stardust and others...I submit to you that public schooling paid for and financed by the body politics is promoting the religion necessary to groom the next generation of predictable, controllable, malliable, gauranteed voters...

I'll give some credence to this statement. Children who attend any type of institution -- be it public, private or religious -- will learn only what is spoon fed to them. That's to be expected. The same is true of children that are home-schooled. (I'm not trying to start a public-schooled vs. home-schooled debate.) It just stands to reason that children will only learn what they are taught.

All the problems that young people face daily trying to seduce them down one easy road after another...they need some kind of anchor to keep them from drifting. This is obvioiusly not being done in most public schools...especially in communitys with large populations.

So, are you suggesting that using the Bible as a textbook in public schools will help prevent children from "drifting" down the wrong roads in life?

I certainly believe that to raise well-rounded and open-minded children, they should be exposed to some form of religion (be it christian, muslim, etc.) I just don't think that public school is the correct venue for promoting faith-based beliefs.

IN case you dont understand what I am saying Maria Stardust...public education is political.

There is no doubt that public education is political. It's federally funded for crying out loud. School board members and trustees are generally elected. So, yes, there is a huge political factor when it comes to public education. To deny that would be daft.

And politics is a religion...complete with hidden rules not known by the bulk of the public.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to argue that politics is a religion per se. However, I would be more than happy to agree that politics is analogous to religion. There's that whole indoctrination, us vs. them, good vs. evil dicotomy thingy in action.

This brings up another point. If politics and religion are analogous, shouldn't that be reason enough for the separation of church and state?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'll give some credence to this statement. Children who attend any type of institution -- be it public, private or religious -- will learn only what is spoon fed to them. That's to be expected. The same is true of children that are home-schooled. (I'm not trying to start a public-schooled vs. home-schooled debate.) It just stands to reason that children will only learn what they are taught.

Educaton is not just teaching you things or just informations...it is also teaching you a manner of putting the informations together into some sensible coherent form for your individual benefit. However...if you are limited in what materials or informations you have with which to work..you do not have a sufficient amount of grist to stoke your thinking apparatus. You are limited. This is called narrow mindedness..not broad mindedness. This is also what is happening in pubic schools. Narrow mindedness. A predetermined outcome among most of the students without many being sophisticated enough to make up thier own minds..or comprehend the bigger picture. THey will however make controllable, predictable, malliable, gauranteed voters.
Narrow mindedness is what is happening in the State of California. Only one religion allowed. Guess what?? It is not Islam. Obviously there was already in place another religion which found Islam perfectly agreeable with their pre existing dogma.

One more thing here Maria Stardust...I submit to you that Islam is approved to be taught in public schools..especially in states like California.. because Islam is amenable to the dogma of Divine Right of Kings..or the lack of Seperation of Church and State. Islam will increase the power of the state in the minds of impressionable people. I will describe this fingerprint later in this post.

I certainly believe that to raise well-rounded and open-minded children, they should be exposed to some form of religion (be it christian, muslim, etc.) I just don't think that public school is the correct venue for promoting faith-based beliefs.

I too believe that young people should be exposed to some kind of religion. Unfortunately it would seem that they tend to be exposed to the religion of consumption here in America. They know more about the next gadget or goodies coming down the pipeline than they do about thier history, lineage, or even how to make a living. This is easy to learn about a person when you watch then and detect what they think is valuable in their lives. This is obvouisly not a line of thought which is want to be taught in public schools for what is is...a religion. It is also not taught in most homes when worshiping so devoutly at the alter of the boob tube.
However..once again..I am also stating that a religion is being taught in pubic schools which will brook no competition.

One more very important concept here...which is seldom discussed in postings like this next to the importance of it..historically and spiritually.
If religion is necessary to raise a well rounded open minded individual....and it is missing from formal education..what kind of individual are we educating?? If it is missing from formal education...are we educating non well rounded individuals in a system which will not brook any competition of ideas?? Do we have by this very logic or lack of it...the teaching of alot of fluff or just enough to steer individuals. Not well rounded open minded peoples.
Once again my point about controllable, malliable, gauranteed, and predictable voters.

School board members and trustees are generally elected. So, yes, there is a huge political factor when it comes to public education. To deny that would be daft.

As to school board memebrs being elected. It is obvious that no matter what member is elected they must comply and work along with multitudes of federal and state regulations. In otherwords ...if you dont comply the funds will be cut off. Under this system...no matter who is on the board..little changes. Once you understand the religion of "matching federal funds" you understand how this religion works. Money is a very powerful drug.
I first learned this concept from a woman who wanted to adopt two children in the Foster Care program. The program discouraged it. What she told me was that they would lose Funds if they lost children. YOu can look at many government programs through this type of drug or lens. Funding.
By the way....were not drugs used often in certain religious practices??
I realized this connection years ago when I took certain peoples off their drugs and watched them go into immediate withdrawals. I am speaking of course of television.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to argue that politics is a religion per se. However, I would be more than happy to agree that politics is analogous to religion. There's that whole indoctrination, us vs. them, good vs. evil dicotomy thingy in action.
This brings up another point. If politics and religion are analogous, shouldn't that be reason enough for the separation of church and state?

This is an intresting statement and looks good on the surface...but once again due to what is not taught in schools ..our thinking can be easily skewed away from the target.

Historically the dominant political/religious system in play in most nations even today is a variation of Feudalism. A few running things for the many.
A few living well off the labor and production of many. This few usually being the Ruling group..and thier priestclass supporting them and keeping them in political/economic power via a religious dogma. This continues today in most nations only under the guise of Democracy. It is just not taught for what it actually is in public schools. In most nations and books, if you can even find it anymore, this went by the term "Divine Right of Kings."
This system has not changed its goals from recorded time. Only the methods have changed.
THe system or belief in "seperation of church and state" was for the purpose of limiting government. To break the bonds of the rulers and the priestcraft fleecing the people by capitalizing on public ignorance. THis was a limit on government not the people.
This system today is being played out in a manner to limit the people..not to limit the government in its attempts to keep people ignorant of what is obviously in front of them and also to leave them impotent to do anything about it. Many have discovered this when trying to make changes in the education system in this nation. Home schooling is a outgrowth of peoples frustration with the pubilc system and what is not taught to our young peoples.
When a government can limit the people it claims to be serving...it becomes the master and you are again ..back to feudalism/Divine Right of Kings.
Once again ..seperation of church and state..was a limit on government..not on the people. To curb the historical excesses of governments which always tend back twords Feudalism.

To do this to people today..you must keep them ignorant of the real workings of a system. IT must be hidden from them in a manner for which they know not. All the time claiming open mindedness..broadmindedness.
The historical term for hiding this kind of dogma...is "Occult."
It is religious and it is also political. And it will never be taught in public schools. YOu do however see it in the Bible if you are perceptive and Knowlegable or have good teachers.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 26-4-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
so the other day i was thinking about this story and decided to look in my school's library to see if they had a bible and a koran. it turns out that they had 17 bibles (1 annotated by isaac asimov was very entertaining), 1 book of mormon, and NO korans. they didn't have any hindu religious texts either. all they had were bibles and a book of mormon. now, my school is very diverse, i wouldn't say that most people aren't christians but i would say that maybe it's only 60%. then about 20% are jewish, 10% muslim, and the rest is a grab bag.

providing religious texts in schools is all well and good, but when you have 16 bibles (i won't count the one annotated by asimov because it serves the opposite purpose of the bible) with only 1 other religious text there is a problem.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
One of the high schools I went to (moved between freshman & sophomore years) had a Literature of the Bible class that was offered. It was taught by the English department and as far as I know, nobody had a big problem with it.

I didn't take the class so I can't comment on the course content at all, but I did have the professor in another class and he wasn't a bad guy at all. He was open minded and actually really enjoyed debating literary classics with us.

The class was purely elective and I had friends who took it, and they didn't feel like their grades were being compromised when/if they argued with him.

It really wasn't that big of a deal.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The whole thing is nothing new, it's been around for a while. I went to school in a time when a morning prayer and the pledge of to the flag started the day. As a Native American taught by white teachers, I was a prime target.

But I was taught to think by my parents. Before school could get it's claws into my tiny little mind, they were there instructing me to use my own talents to find truth. And if you think a plain old history class can't be distorted, you're wrong. From the perspective of my people the history books, even on a college level, are full of white myths. And a lot is just plain stupid and inaccurate.

A few weeks ago I heard a congresswoman on the evening buls...er...news talking about the war in Iraq. She was busy castigating people for wanting to pull out the troops, and spoke of how the use of biological weapons had been used in the past on the Kurds. She had the gall to say that was the first time such a thing had been done.

And no one on the show even blinked at this outright idiotic statement. I suppose all that mustard gas in WW1 is classed as spoiled food? But this same approach went on in school when I was a child. The teachers made much ado about the murdering savages and the peaceful settlers. Thankfully, I had learned to read well before school age, and my parents provided a wide range of material.

So no matter what is taught, most of it will be wrong or useless anyway. Parents need to teach their children critical thinking skill before the world starts in on them. And that means before school van make learning a drudgery instead of the true joy that it is.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I agree...well stated in your post. Critical thinking skills. I too know of the gasing in WW1 as an attempt to break the stalemate which was happening in the trenchs.
As on my fathers side they are Hawaiian I am often told the stories of the stealing of the Hawaiian Islands by corporations or shipping companys in those days. Not what one gets in the history books today.
Occasionally one gets history books with a different slant to them and one must read carefully and compare with other history versions to sort of read betweent the lines to to speak. You realize that you were often not taught the total or big picture. Very intresting what you see when you learn to see beyond the M1A issue standard lines.

As to that Congresswoman ..we get the same unthinking format around here annually at Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg...before Christmas.
Some nut case trys to explain in the local media as to how the colonialists might have decorated their homes for Christmas. Anyone knowing any history knows that the early colonialists did not celebrate Christmas. Amazing what is missing from our thinking.

This is why I stated in my earlier post that education is not just teaching one things ..but the method of putting the things or facts into a coherant useful form to benifit the individual. To me this is lacking in public education and even in much of private education.
And yes..this needs to be instilled before the world outside the home gets ahold of our souls. If so they will surely make merchandize of us.

Thanks for your post,
Well said,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I for one am glad to hear this news. I always felt that religion should have never been pulled out of the schools in the first place. It is good to know that there is a possibility at least through electives that we can start to go back to the roots of America, since it was founded on Christian principles.

Someone mentioned the study of Roman law. Actually that would be interesting especially a comparison with the US laws. Also how the Roman laws developed, and how the US laws developed. I do remember the founders did refer back to different laws of different cultures to help formulate what worked, what didn't, and what to include so they could sturcture them around what they wanted to achive. The founders didn't just start from scratch. That is why we have a system of government with three branches that are suppose to equal them selves out.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Intresting post. This thread seems to be bringing out some intresting views on this topic.

I will however disagree with you in one area of your post. Religion has never left public schooling. It has been supplanted by another religion. To those who know the pattern it is obvious that this is the groundwork for a return to the olde feudal system. A few running things for the many. It just for the time being looks different. There are cracks showing in this system.

I do agree with you in that the Founders here were well versed in the dos and dont's of Ancient forms of governments. THe Romans being most noteworthy. This history of which I am familiar reads that the Roman citizen had alot of freedom and liberty in the early days of the Republic. Later years when the Caesars took over the system seemed to decline when the Caesars where also gods. Mind you now there were actually some good Caesars..at times but also some horrible ones Nero and Caligula come to mind.
The Founders were also well aware of the priesthood and its connections to trade and commercialism. The Spanish and their usage of the Society Of Jesus every where they went in trade is textbook and they were well aware of this history as well as the history of Feudal Europe and the Mid East back to Biblical times.

I remind you also that in our Constitution of the United States there is refered to as two different systems of law..Common Law and Suits at equity or sometimes called Admiralty Law.

Common Law refers to what is actaully intended by the law..what is lawful...the subatance of the law. Pretty much cut and dried here...not much wiggle room.

Legal ..refers to what is the form of the law..not what was actually intended. Form verses substance. Few Lawyers are wont to clear this up for the public..prefering to leave the public thinking they are the same. They are not. By Form..I mean all the "i"s are dotted and the "t"s are crossed but the verdict or outcome often does not make good nonsense. This is often the result of the "Form " of law or legal.

Admiralty Maritime Law is very similar. IT is commercial law intended to facilitate and regulate commerce. This type of law goes back pre Roman in pedigree. THe founders were concerned with Admiralty law or the commercial laws of the seas enroaching on land and taking over. Where the public individuals now were part of the commercial formula and thus regulatable as if they were commerce and not in posession of rights..but priveleges which can be revoked by a soverign. Hence my reference in previous posts here to a Feudal System.

Admiralty law has to do with priveleges which can be revoked and regulated by means of licenses...marriage licenses, hunting licenses, fishing licenses, drivers licenses. All these are exercised in courts where there is no jury of ones peers. Mostly administrative functions are heard here. Cases are pretty much delt with in a file folder. This too is not understood by the bulk of peoples. You must demonstrate here innocence...there is no presumption of innocence in an Admiralty court where it is a matter of jurisdiction ..by priveleges granted through licenses.
This is one of the systems promoted by public education. They do not teach one that there is another system...in effect...but only one side. THe Admiralty Law side.
More and more our government by the political system which it is..in financing public education is teaching our young people to go more and more into Admiralty Law...or commercial law..without them even being aware of it.

Notice how it used to be ones "right to vote" now through media and education distortion it is the "voting privelege"??? Have you noticed the switch?? I have. I here the local morning DJ on the radio say this all the time....our voting "privelege." What happened??

"And to the Republic for which it stands." Remember that . Today it is Democracy?? When did the switch take place?

I recall reading an article years ago about a soldier returning from WW1 and reading in the newspapers that they had fought for Democracy. He stated in the article....." I knew then that thieves had stolen my country."
Here was a guy who knew more than most peoples.

Just some food for thought,
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ahoy,
Being a teacher and a scholar who has studied the bible as well as the text from other religions, I agree that it can be studied from purely a scholastic point of view. I think that it is a good idea for people to study such things in order to get a deeper and more informed understanding of other cultures. However, I’m not sure that a high school student is mature enough to make the distinction between “studying for scholastic research” and “preaching.” I know when I try to bring these things up in class as a cultural comparison; I get a whole flock of angry parents complaining. (For example, it sure helps to understand the Crusades if you understand the political / religious dynamics of all the groups involved.) I do wish we could work some kind of “morals” classes into our schools. I’m not talking about classes that hold some subliminal religious agenda, but what we as a culture of humans have agreed upon as a “proper” way to live and treat one another in our society. Things like respecting one another’s opinions on religion. Other things would be “do unto others…” I would like to clear something up. The U.S. Constitution says nothing about “separation of church and state.” It also doesn’t say we will have a “Godless” government. Both of those are interpretations of the First Amendment by people who came after the founding fathers. But, when you stop to think about the men who framed the Constitution, all but two were very religious men. All were very intelligent. They understood that religion is a way to teach the morals of our culture to our children. All the First Amendment says is the US will not have a “government supported religion.” Good thread and I think it is something that we here in the United States need to address

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join