It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ad ware that won't remove!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I just installed Windows XP Pro in my computer not too long ago. I was running Windows 2000 Pro but decided it to be outdated. So I upgraded.

I was browsing the internet and came accross on of those annoying sites which pop open a million windows. I soon after noticed two short cuts on my desk top and my start page changed.

I've had these problems before and are easily fixed with Search Bot S & D. I ran it, it found something and removed. I thought it was case closed.

After using the internet for 10 min after it was installed again ran Spy bot, removed the same adware! So I ran a virus scanner. I found a DSO exploit on my computer. Removed it, thought it was case closed. 10 mins later it was back again!

I went on web attack to look for some more adware/spyware removal tools, install 2 high rated one. Found them but it just some how reinstalled again.

I put a firewall on the computer Nortans Firewall, with the newest rule set downloaded. I blocked all Active X and Java scripts on the computer. This seemed to solved the problem but with a side effect. Flash wouldn't work. So I turned that off. Ther problem continued.

I tried updating windows to the latest service packs and critical updates. Still the problom continue. I decided to install dfifernt browsers on the computer to replace IE. I was relized it only happened while running IE. Since then the problem hasn't continued as long as I don't use IE. But for me, it's still annoying that I can't slove this problem.

It redirects my start page, but that part of the problem is easily fixed. Maybe the name of the start page would help. Quicksearchgenealogy.com (DON't GO THERE!)

Do you guys have any ideas?

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
[Edited on 20-12-2003 by GlobalMind]

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There are several options availble for removing adWare (a.k.a. spyWare).

1) Remove ALL programs that you belive are infected with spyware/adware.
2) Delete there entries from the SysReg. *
3) Do a System Restore.
4) Reformat the computer.

* = to do this go to start, run, type RegEdit, delete from here. (! Do not delete any important files !)

Hope this helps you.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have something simular if not the same.

C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS128.CAB
and another almost exact.

Only two I couldnt delete, clean or quorentine.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yes it does seem to be the same. Just follow those instructions and it should clear up soon...

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Here are two really good programs to use for that

www.ada-ware.com...

www.12ghosts.com...

both free!!!

Virus' Dead

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yes but, do the programs themselves have spy/adware included with them? Seems like people will do anything to make a buck.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeanLucPicard
Yes but, do the programs themselves have spy/adware included with them? Seems like people will do anything to make a buck.

No not that im aware of and im quite thorough about what i install onto my machine. If i find anything remotely close to it, i format. And in 2 yrs i've never had a problem with these programs.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
www.nsclean.com...

Here's what I came up with when searching for DSO exploit removal. Hope it helps.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Hey thanks guys for all the help! It helped to get the little buggers off the computer. =)

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Alright guys. These two programs are the be all, end all in Spyware/Adware REMOVAL. It's widely reknown as the best way to get rid of that annoying crap. If any of you watch Tech TV, the Screensavers HIGHLY recommends these two programs..

Spybot Search & Destroy (srcoll down to "Download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.2")
www.safer-networking.org...

With this, you'll want to run about once a week, update before you scan..

and AdAware, get it HERE download.com.com...

Do the same, Update once a week, run once a week.

Spybot gets things Ad Aware doesn't, Ad Aware gets things Spybot doesn't.. Please heed the words of me.. Download these, Run both, and you'll be AdAware/Spyware FREE.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
Hey thanks guys for all the help! It helped to get the little buggers off the computer. =)

What did you do specifically to get it off your system in case others encounter the same issue?

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Adware solution !

I finally solved my problem with that pesky adware problem I was having. While adware removal programs detected what it installed it never uncovered the source of the problem.

I was using avant browser because every time I use Internet Explorer. This adware would automatically install. Just today I was complaining to my friend about my problem. He simply told me to do this. First go into Tools> Internet Options > Temp Internet - The Settings Button > Click on View Objects. I looked through the different objects and found something called "WSDownloader control". I then removed that. Then my friend sent a program called xcleaner_free. This program scans for BHO (browser help objects) It found a lot of these objects. Not all of them are bad. I had to sort through the ones I didnt want. This removed the problem!

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
I just installed Windows XP Pro in my computer not too long ago. I was running Windows 2000 Pro but decided it to be outdated. So I upgraded.

Sorry... What I am about to say is not about your problem (I'm glad you solved it anyway). But... You say you decided to upgrade to Windows XP Pro becuase you thought Windows 2000 Pro was outdated? I know it depends on what you use your computer for, but did you know Windows XP is basically just Windows 2000 with the fancy GUI? Plus maybe better support for games.

Windows 2000 is NT5. Windows XP is NT5.1. So... If you forked out the �200+ for XP Pro, I feel sorry for you :-(

Anyway, I don't mean to offend you or anybody else... I just think that moving to XP from 2000 is wasting money.

Moving on... Thanks for everyone in this thread for giving out help... If I ever come accross a problem simular to this... I now know what to do

new topics

top topics

join