It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Even Stop Global Warming?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The worlds leading climate scientists warn that global warming is so severe that it could continue for centuries. People can expect heat waves, droughts, floods & hurricanes to get worse over the next century including as much as a 10 deg Fahrenheit jump right here in the US by 2100.

www.washingtonpost.com
Temperatures would spike higher near the poles, according to the report. Within 22 years _ whether greenhouse gases are controlled or not _ most of the Northern Hemisphere will see more high temperature extremes, the report showed. Places like Northern Africa will get even less rainfall.

The worst could mean more than 1 million dead and hundreds of billions of dollars in costs by 2100, said Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado, one of many study co-authors. He said that adapting will mean living with more extreme weather such as severe droughts, more hurricanes and wildfires.

The signal that we received from the science is crystal clear," said Yvo de Boer, the executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, a multi-national body that tries to change policy to fight global warming.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bear with me as this is my first thread.

Global warming is something that has concerned me for years. I am still fearful that so much debate surrounds this topic when the worlds leading climate experts are screaming for action to change our ways or we will face dire consequences. There are debates raging in other threads on this very topic, but doubters I am afraid have their heads in the sand. This isn't about money or politics, this is about the survival of our way of life and perhaps even our very lives. I am interested to see how the nay sayers respond to this as there are still many skeptics out there who claim it is a natural warming. The only credible scientific reports to counter global warming seem to come from scientists on the payrolls of such corporations as Exxon and Shell.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.indianexpress.com
www.oregonlive.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Global Warming Has Ended
Global Warming Debate Turns Ugly

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
IMO no because it's the sun. Human influence is accelerating it but not much. Unless we find something to cold the sun... but it could be very dangerous... what if we make the sun explode or we shut it down?

From Nasa reports I seen, the brightness of the sun will double in the next 10 years. So I doubt human is making the sun bright more...

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We can't stop it without screwing everything up because it's natural as far as we know.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
IMO no because it's the sun. Human influence is accelerating it but not much. Unless we find something to cold the sun... but it could be very dangerous... what if we make the sun explode or we shut it down?

From Nasa reports I seen, the brightness of the sun will double in the next 10 years. So I doubt human is making the sun bright more...

Well considering we get our warmth from the sun, you are correct...at least part way...

The earth may very well be experiencing a period of natural warming, however we are affecting it by speeding up the process. Not just in our co2 emmissions, but in our other activities that damage the planets ability to heal itself - the more damage we do, the worse the problem gets adding to the damage in and of itself - a vicious cycle downward. We arent the main cause but we are certainly making it worse.

climate report

[from source article]

Commenting on the report, he said: "We're very pleased with it. We're embracing it. We agree with it . . . Human activity is contributing to changes in our Earth's climate and that issue is no longer up for debate." But he repeated the Bush administration's opposition to any mandatory capping of greenhouse gas emissions.

The science underlying climate change, and human responsibility for it, was "no longer open for discussion", Mr de Boer declared, adding that global warming was "already happening and this calls for immediate action to start adapting to its adverse consequences".

[edit on 2-2-2007 by LogansRun]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That's what I'm saying. The sun activity is increasing, that's the main cause of it, but we are accelerating it and probably worsening it by our activities. But I'm pretty sure the poisoning of everything on earth by us is far more dangerous than global warming. BTW, it's not really global warming, but more global climate change. When the Gulf Stream will stop, there will be an ice age in Europe, but in America it will be more hot... UK will probably end under snow.

Some places where hot streams will stop will be under snow, and places where cold streams will stop will be hot... Total reverse of climate.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

You mean to say it will become twice as bright on earth? That the double lux will shine on us?

I think the increased radiation=light will be due to less filtering factor in the atmosphere, but do you have a link for that NASA statement?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Something you might be interested in reading. On a radio show I heard yesterday they were talking to Dennis Avery, the author of Unstoppable Global Warning Every 1500 Years. He had quite a bit of interesting stuff to say about the subject. In his opinion it has little to do with what us humans do. It's a 1500 year cycle that has little to do with us humans.

I think Vitchilo is on to something as well. The amount of radiation from the sun makes a huge impact on our enviroment.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
khunmoon I don't know, I'll search for a link, but I heard that on the radio. Here's something NASA: Sun’s direct role in global warming may be underestimated, duke physicists report

Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars
Maybe we should kill all cows?

Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

UN downgrades man's impact on the climate Isn't it strange that the UN changed from low man made, and then high man made in a matter of 2 months?

All this propaganda about global warming lately is surely hiding something or diverting attention... like Iran, or the economy, or the NAU... something.

sty

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hello. What do you actually mean with 2 x times more light from the sun? it sounds scarry! As I understood we really see changes in most of the planets in our solar system as faar as neptune. I guess something is happening with the Sun and our civilisation is too young to remember past times when the sun went crazy. For example we suposed to see minimum of solar activity and actually we recorded explosions in the sun as we never detected before! And this should be the calm period. 2011-2012 is the maximum in solar activity , so we should expect effects on Earth. I guess we cannot help it too much at this point. Also we should not forget the HUGE quantity of frozen methane existing in the ocean floors. This (methane - CH4) is 20 times more "greenhouse" active than our petrol polution. I do not remember exactly the quantity of methane existitng down there but it seems to transform into gas due heating and it looks like Jacuzzy bath on the ocean floors...the existing methane could bring into the air several hundred times more greenhouse active elements than we ever produced with our industrial revolution..

it seems that Maya civilisation knew about this cicle , and their ancestors survived inside the Earth (very deep caves or even a hollow Earth? ). Well.. we just have a few years to go , if the maximum of solar activity in 2011 is ok then we are not in trouble . Even if our Sun is ok but we lost the control of the methane concentration in the air , then we are in trouble still..we will see!

[edit on 2-2-2007 by sty]

[edit on 2-2-2007 by sty]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
In his opinion it has little to do with what us humans do. It's a 1500 year cycle that has little to do with us humans.

I think Vitchilo is on to something as well. The amount of radiation from the sun makes a huge impact on our enviroment.

I agree that earth is going through its natural cycle, but I also believe that humans are expediting and worsening the natural process. Therefore the goal to "stop" global warming is impossible, but we can slow it down to its normal speed and normal intensity.
The consequences, such as tornadoes and ocean levels will increase, but not nearly to the rate at which they are today.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

khunmoon I don't know, I'll search for a link, but I heard that on the radio. Here's something NASA: Sun’s direct role in global warming may be underestimated, duke physicists report

Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars
Maybe we should kill all cows?

Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

UN downgrades man's impact on the climate Isn't it strange that the UN changed from low man made, and then high man made in a matter of 2 months?

All this propaganda about global warming lately is surely hiding something or diverting attention... like Iran, or the economy, or the NAU... something.

I really would like to agree with you Vitchilo and you got some points, but... to blame NWO is like avoiding the issue.

The CO2 and the cows I agree on --not to kill them-- but that's where the shoe hurts. Methane, like Sty points out.

Beside the ocean floors, what are the largest methane deposits on earth?
The vast Sibirian taiga, the tundra that runs across the continent from the Kola to the Sakhlin peninsular, from Norway to Japan. They now thaw, and are the foremost factor in reaching the tipping point of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

A vast expanse of western Sibera is undergoing an unprecedented thaw that could dramatically increase the rate of global warming, climate scientists warn today.
Researchers who have recently returned from the region found that an area of permafrost spanning a million square kilometres - the size of France and Germany combined - has started to melt for the first time since it formed 11,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age.

The area, which covers the entire sub-Arctic region of western Siberia, is the world's largest frozen peat bog and scientists fear that as it thaws, it will release billions of tonnes of methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere.

It is a scenario climate scientists have feared since first identifying "tipping points" - delicate thresholds where a slight rise in the Earth's temperature can cause a dramatic change in the environment that itself triggers a far greater increase in global temperatures.

The discovery was made by Sergei Kirp

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I don't blame the NWO for global warming, that would be just stupid. But I blame the NWO guys to do a hype about it to have their global tax. I know it's an important subject, and we must do something about it, but current governments are liars about this subject and don't want to help it. If we could have real governments, we could take the electricals cars out in 1 year, more efficients than gas cars. But no, the economy would collapse and big oil company would go bankrupt, but WHO CARES?

Very interesting information about methane! Thanks. We could also make a law to obligated everyone on earth to have at least 5 to 10 trees on their land, depending how large it is. 10 trees for an average american house would be great. Why have grass when you can have grass and trees?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaptain disfunct

I agree that earth is going through its natural cycle, but I also believe that humans are expediting and worsening the natural process. Therefore the goal to "stop" global warming is impossible, but we can slow it down to its normal speed and normal intensity.
The consequences, such as tornadoes and ocean levels will increase, but not nearly to the rate at which they are today.

This is a very good viewpoint, to realize that we can alter our actions to affect the outcome of the climate changes. Unfortunately, people look at single sources of co2 emmissions, or contributing factor and assume it causes a neglegible amount of damage. You have to look at everything as a whole to see how it is really a chain reaction. It is a combination of natural warming, man made co2 emmissions, natural co2 emmissions, the raping and destruction of our forests, strip mining, aerosols, dumping toxic chemicals into the ocean, etc etc.... all of these things combined only speed up the process and it is spiraling out of control.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I also do not believe that Global Warming is man made. The temperature of the earth has never been set. It is always changing. We know the sun is getting hotter and we know that Mars is getting hotter. given just those two things it should be obvious that the Earth would also get warmer. I also do not believe in that the world is coming to an end. This is a natural cycle of the planet. The temperature goes up, the temperature mellows out and the temperature gets colder. If anyone was around in the 1960's and 70's the same sciencists were telling us to prepare for a new ice age because the world was getting too cold.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

We could also make a law to obligated everyone on earth to have at least 5 to 10 trees on their land, depending how large it is. 10 trees for an average american house would be great. Why have grass when you can have grass and trees?

That would be nice..........but I personally have a 4200 sq ft lot, pretty small....I have a single tree - i dont have room for any more

Maybe when I get a bigger house I could have another tree.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I also do not believe that Global Warming is man made. The temperature of the earth has never been set.

Man made? No. We are not helping one bit however, and we are most definately affecting it. Click in the Oregon Live link in my opening post, there is a good article there.

sty

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I was wondering if there is any data available concerning the existing quantity of methane (ocean floors, Syberia and so on )..anyone knows?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

Originally posted by zerotime
I also do not believe that Global Warming is man made. The temperature of the earth has never been set.

Man made? No. We are not helping one bit however, and we are most definately affecting it. Click in the Oregon Live link in my opening post, there is a good article there.

I do not believe we are affecting the weather at all. We are 1 degree higher over the past 100 years on a scale that is +/- 1 degree of error and it seems that Mars is also around 1 degree different. If both planets are experiencing the same degree of warming how are we affecting it?

On the other hand, I do believe we should be cutting our dependence on oil. At this point in history to not have cleaner burning energy like solar and wind power is crazy. We should not pollute the air, water or land. We do need to clean up our act for our own general health benefits.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Think about it...

Acknowledging the fact that the Earth is a living, thinking, feeling being as any native american or ancient sage will tell you...and acknowledging the fact that the Earth, and us, are linked together of course because we are all one...as any native american or ancient sage will tel you...

It is then pretty easy to sum up what is happening to the Earth.

The Earth is sick. We have made the Earth sick with our negativity.

Think about it...

When a body gets sick, or dis-eased..out of harmony..whats the first thing that happens? The body temperature changes...

We have made the Earth sick, and until we stop our low energy, dualistic, ignorant rape of life, we will perish.

The time for change is now. The solar system is changing. The sun is changing. The earth is changing, and we are changing. The Truths are starting to be unconvered. Important issues are finally being taken seriously. Tremendous amounts of Light is pouring onto the Earth, bringing with it energies that will bring about the goodness of people, a call for peace, and eventually, a Heaven on Earth. We are at the start of something absolutely glorious.

The media will try to unleash any and all fear mongering tactics in the form of some opinion that we are all going to perish, we will not perish, because we the human race are awakening, and we are answering the call.

Look around! Can you see the Light that shines through the hearts of people? Eons in the darkness have all but dimmed the inner light of individuals, but this time in our history is the time when we will see a SECOND COMING OF THE CHRIST ENERGIES!

Remember, Christ is not a name, but a state of mind. It is a state of mind that is so spiritually advanced, that it literally is aware of its oneness with All There Is, which is all we are, is ONENESS!

The end of times is upon us, and with it will bring a new and glorious Age. It is not so much an end, as it is a new beginning. We have done much damage to the Earth, and she must cleanse herself, but it will not effect life on Earth tremendously. We all have a part to play in the age old battle of good and evil, light and dark, negative and postitive, whatever name you give to the polar duality that is the 3rd dimensional physical universe.

Seems too good to be true? NOTHING is too good to be true in Gods kingdom, and even the Illuminati admit, we are Gods in the making. Now is the time to claim our heritance, and show what we are really capable of. We have been through our "training" and are now ready to advance to the necxt level.We have a mission, all of us here incarnated now, we have a mission, on a soul level, to transmute the darkness with Light. Light is Love. Light is God. Did you know this is how Creation operates?

For all those people out there who are not sure...remember this...RELIGION AND SCIENCE ARE ONE! CREATIONISM AND EVOLUTION ARE ONE! WE ARE ALL ONE, ONE THE HIGHEST LEVEL!

The Second Coming of Christ is well underway, can you feel it? Did you know this is what it really meant? REJOICE, OUR HEAVEN AWAITS!

[edit on 3-2-2007 by LightWorker13]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Please people don't begin linking global warming to jesus christ for good sake. Not all in life is related on religion, especially not on humans. We are a cell in the entire universe, why would any superior entity would care about us? Do you care about bacterias when you walk on the floor? You just killed thousands of lifeforms!

But I agree that we are not helping the earth and that she may have a way to kill us in order to protect herself from enemies, foreigns and domestics ... so mother earth have the same problem as we do?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by Vitchilo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join