It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ govt wont let man build his own cruise missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 05:33 AM
link   
BBC news

This has been in the news here in NZ for quite a while. He got offers from Iran, Pakistan and other countries offering him lots of money! At first the NZ govt let him build what he wanted, he even came close to getting a research grant!

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thats such a shame (and a crock of # too) that they are forcing him to give up the project. I've been following the project for a while, ever since discovering his engines he used in the picture of him on the go-kart. It was probably the approach by Iran that really got the US Gov to put the pressure on his native government to have the project halted. Kind of amazing some of the backyard engineering one can find out there if you just look hard enough.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 07:07 AM
link   
And I honestly think that this won't be the last time an issue like this shows up. Honestly, people are getting more and more access to technology, and sooner or later, your neighbor is going to be waging backyard war on you with an Abrams.

I know that's a VERY extreme exaggeration, but it goes to reason that as people get more and more intelligent, and begin to get more and more access to technology, that more of these 'backyard' projects gets to be genuinely dangerous.

Looks like the government doesn't have a monopoly on the big guns anymore...

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   
A little off topic, but heres an idea of some of the backyard technology thats out there.

That my fellow posters is the SP9004, the worlds first aircraft grade aluminum, bolt action, laser sighted, oxyacetylene powered potato gun. If you want to get a better idea of the crazy backyard tech out there, check out the Spudgun Technology Center.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
ha ha...Did you see his name ? " Simpson ".

The Simpson Cruise Missile.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
LMAO

Im gonna build a backyard photon torpedo, that will show the NWO!

But seriously i think people are learning how to build these sorts of weapons beacuase they believe they will need them to defend their loved ones etc.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalistenics

But seriously i think people are learning how to build these sorts of weapons beacuase they believe they will need them to defend their loved ones etc.

Defending your loved ones with a cruise missile ?????????????????????????
With a gun, a machine gun or a mortar, ok. But a cruise missile ? Then why not an ICBM ?

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
"Incoming Sir"
"What is it?"
"It's a Simpson Missile sir..."
"Doh!"

I'm going to build a backyard catapult, hehe...nice plans in Maxim a while back...

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Right?

It must be?

"The New Zealand government at first said I had done nothing illegal. But then a US official was quoted as saying it was 'extremely unhelpful', " Mr Simpson told BBC News Online.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
here is a discussion with Bruce...
here

Well I think the government will soon be feeling a bit of fall-out
over the revelations that T&I told me I could export my technology to
Iran. So far I've had a couple of BBC interviews and already US-based
news organisations have scheduled interviews for tomorrow.

Everyone seems gobsmacked that NZ would authorise such a reckless
move.

If the government looked silly when I was building a missile in my
garage, they're now looking a whole lot sillier for forcing me to tell
my story.

**I fixed the link**

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Here is his website

aardvark.co.nz...

here is the cruise missile project