It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Women's Tennis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Is it sort of like Winston cup points in NASCAR?

TRD

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Is it sort of like Winston cup points in NASCAR?

Havn't got a clue i've never watched it...

Ben

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
how are winston cup points added up?

TRD

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott has hit out at the decision to persist in awarding Wimbledon's men better prize money than the women.
Scott's comments came after the All England Club, which runs the Grand Slam event, announced a 9.5% increase in the money offered to both sexes at this year's event.
The men's champion will walk away with �575,000, an increase of �50,000 on last year, with the women's winner collecting �535,000, up from �486,000.

I Say.....

Which is still quite alot of cash only a difference of �40,000 but they should get the same...

A Quote fron Scott:

"I remain convinced that the quality and depth of play demonstrated by women's professional tennis players, combined with the global popularity and media interest in our players, merits equal prize money at the Grand Slams.
"I reject the notion that an unequal compensation system that distinguishes between men and women at the Grand Slams is 'fair'."

A Quote from the All England Tennis Club:

Last year's women's champion - Serena Williams - actually left Wimbledon with more money than men's winner Lleyton Hewitt.

I Say

Which is a load of crap she played in 2 tournaments to get that singles and the doubles,hewitt only played the singles so no wonder she earnt more!!!!

Now my argument is,That the Australian and US Opens, Grand Slam events treat men and women the same with the prize money,so why not Wimbledon which is a grand slam event...

What do you think should they get the same?

TRD

posted on May, 4 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
What with pulling out of the Italian masters in a few weeks time now this!

Venus Williams may opt out of this week's German Open after suffering an abdominal strain which forced her to concede defeat to Amelie Mauresmo in the final of the J & S Cup on Sunday in Warsaw.

Mauresmo, second seed behind Williams, secured the title and �70,000 when her ailing opponent withdrew when trailing 6-7 (8/6) 6-0 3-0 and 40-30 in the fourth game of the deciding set.

Looks like one is the Williams is on the slippery slope this season

Ben

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think that the mens prize money should get more money, than the women's. The Men play a lot longer of matchs 5 sets to the womens 3. The mens even last longer. So if the women get more money it will make the men feel like why are we out her so long if they get the same amount of money for half the time. Plus the men's feild is a lot more deep than the women's. I don't agree with how they raised the women's prize money. I think it is a big slap in the face to the men.

Venus seems to be slipping very good, she might not be able to make it to the french.

[Edited on 5/5/2003 by Ben]

TRD

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying that the Men might work harder than the women so they might deserve more cash,but why do some grand slam events have equal prize money and others don't..They should either do it in all event's or not at all....

It would be nice if Venus slipped out of the top 5...I'll have to keep a check on it...

Ben

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
espn.go.com...

I don't get what Richard Williams problem is but I think that he is the one being racist here, saying all those things about his duaghters and of that nature. Sure they are good but not this good, they can be beaten and they have showed that lately. In my mind if they were to take a break they would show that they are scared of the competiton.

TRD

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I just read it what he says sucks.....

your right they can be beaten...I think that he is saying that they should take a break as the other women are playing real well and are afraid they will get beat.

TRD

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Top seed Kim Clijsters cruised into the quarter-finals of the German Open in Berlin on Thursday with a straight sets win over qualifier Fabiola Zuluaga.

Playing in her first WTA event in more than a month, the Belgian completed a 7-5 6-3 triumph over her Colombian opponent, who had shown her potential to upset the seeds on Wednesday when she ousted the number 14 seed Meghann Shaughnessy of the United States.

Clijsters is participating in a tournament for the first time since a semi-final loss to Serena Williams at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami in late March

Seems like kim is getting back in the groove,she has a good chance of beating the williams this season as long as she keeps her form.

Ben

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good to see Kim back in action. She is a very good player and has the potential of winning any tournament that she enters. Good to see her back though. Is there anybody else here that likes to talk tennis?

TRD

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Is there anybody else here that likes to talk tennis?

Ben i was thinking the same thing...

I think maybe she has the qualities to be a future no1 maybe not now but in a couple of years.

Ben

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Maybe she will be number 1 when the william sister "take their break" from tennis.

TRD

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 04:50 PM
link   
With the points Serena has she could take half the season off and still be right up their..I think maybe that the bubble has burst with Venus for now i can see a few of the other women going past her in the rankings unless she makes the wimbledon final,which i hope she doesn't.

TRD

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Getting back to Kim she is at it again...

Kim Clijsters's emphatic victory over Daniela Hantuchova in Friday's quarter-finals of the German Open has set up a rematch of the historic 2001 French Open final....
Clijsters, the top-seeded Belgian, thumped the seventh-seeded Slovakian 6-0 6-3 to advance to the semi-finals of the claycourt event where she will meet fourth seed Jennifer Capriati, who she has not met on clay since the Roland Garros final two years ago....
Then Capriati beat Clijsters 1-6 6-4 12-10, in the longest-ever third set in a French Open final...I think this will be another tough match but i fancy Kim to just come out on top..!

TRD

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
CLIJSTERS UP TO SECOND

Seems like she made it to the final but was beat by Hardenne but moves into second again in the rankings..!

Kim Clijsters jumped back above Venus Williams into second place in the WTA Tour world rankings despite losing the German Open final to her Belgian compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Clijsters wasted three match points in a three-set match allowing Henin-Hardenne to claim the title for the second straight year.

Henin-Hardenne is a former Wimbledon finalist but is becoming increasingly adept on clay.

She admitted: "It's my best surface now for sure. Maybe because the other players don't have as much power against me on clay."

TRD

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not Much movement in the Top Ten Clijesters back to second and Dockic moves in the top ten..

Pos Player Nat Points
1 Serena Williams USA 6809
2 Kim Clijsters Bel 4519
3 Venus Williams USA 4508
4 Justine Henin-Hardenne Bel 3917
5 Lindsay Davenport USA 3304
6 Amelie Mauresmo Fra 3090
7 Jennifer Capriati USA 2870
8 Chanda Rubin USA 2490
9 Daniela Hantuchova Svk 2466
10 Jelena Dokic Yug 2242

Ben

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
At least the William Sister arnt in first and second place. Good to see that other women players are getting involved in winning tournaments other than the William Sister. I am hoping that this will keep up to the French Open. Its like us chasing PA for the lead we know it can be down. But it feels like we are so close but yet so far away.

TRD

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thats right Ben the other women are starting to win,thats good..

We have PA in our sights do not worry.!

TRD

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Oh yesssssssss....This is good news...Kim in another final aswell and favourite to win it......:bounce:

Amelie Mauresmo gave herself a huge dose of confidence in Rome on Saturday by fighting back to beat the most dominant player in the game, Serena Williams.

The Frenchwomen, hoping to hit top form ahead of the French Open, was thoroughly dominated in the first set of their Italian Open semi-final but came back to beat Williams 1-6 7-5 6-3.

Mauresmo meets Kim Clijsters in the final after the Belgium beat Japan's Ai Sugiyama.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join