It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Women's Tennis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Amelie is one of those players who thrive on confidence once her confidence gets going, there is nothing to stop here. This was a huge win for her. It looks like the William Sisters are very vulnerable right now. Especially with the French Open right around the corner.

TRD

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Kim Clijsters picked up her third title of the season on Sunday by defeating France's Amelie Mauresmo 3-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-0 in the final of the Italian Open.

Mauresmo, who beat Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams to reach the championship game, served for the match at 6-5 in the second set but Clijsters stormed back from 30-15 down to force a tie-break.

Man it looked like a tough game and could have gone either way But Kim came on strong to win again..!

TRD

posted on May, 25 2003 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Top seed Chanda Rubin fulfilled expectations by winning the Madrid 2012 Spanish Open, but she made hard work of the final against Spaniard Maria Antonia Sanchez-Lorenzo.

America's world number eight Rubin eventually won 6-4 5-7 6-4 against 84th-ranked Sanchez in a match lasting two hours and 11 minutes.

After taking the first set 6-4 with the only break, Rubin appeared to be heading for a straightforward victory after she broke Sanchez to love in the third and the fifth games of the second set.

The women seem to be catching up with the williams sisters now as they are winning tournaments and the williams are not..The big one will be the French open comming up soon..!

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
no one will catch serena...she is completely dominant this year 17-0 I think

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well we shall see about Serena...Venus has already slipped down the order,Serena could be going the same way...

If you read all this thread the one who is on fire at the moment is Kim Clijsters,she is playing quality tennis so far...

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Well we shall see about Serena...Venus has already slipped down the order,Serena could be going the same way...

If you read all this thread the one who is on fire at the moment is Kim Clijsters,she is playing quality tennis so far...

Clijsters keeps getting better and better every day it seems

TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Rankings before the french open......

1 Serena Williams USA 6552
2 Kim Clijsters Bel 4721
3 Venus Williams USA 4508
4 Justine Henin-Hardenne Bel 3618
5 Amelie Mauresmo Fra 3358
6 Lindsay Davenport USA 3304
7 Jennifer Capriati USA 2784
8 Chanda Rubin USA 2512
9 Daniela Hantuchova Svk 2466
10 Anastasia Myskina Rus 2195

Well serenas lead at the top has been closed by about 500 points and with the french open points to go on it will be less...

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
1 Serena Williams USA 6006
2 Kim Clijsters Bel 5274
3 Justine Henin-Hardenne Bel 4772
4 Venus Williams USA 4028
5 Lindsay Davenport USA 3477
6 Amelie Mauresmo Fra 3474
7 Chanda Rubin USA 2554
8 Jennifer Capriati USA 2430
9 Daniela Hantuchova Svk 2353
10 Anastasia Myskina Rus 2212

Oh my god...

Thats the best news all week...Venus has slipped down to 4th place and the gap has really closed on Serena...Wimbledon will be a big one now for some of the women lets hope the williams play bad again...lol

Ben

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Woah now that is some great news. That means at tournament that it wont be an all william final. That is awesome so now we are guarnteed that. hehehhehe. The gap closed a lot because sernea didnt win the tournament again. And when that happens you lose points. That is why at times the women's point system is bad, and at times it is good.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ben does that mean that they would clash on the way to the final??

Also i noticed that with the points that if they dont play or lose they lose points,its not a bad way i suppose...

Ben

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yea that means in the semi's serena will be 1 and venus number 4, but on the other side will be kim at number 2 and henin and 3.

TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ok i get it now so either way only one could get through...Well the way the other women have beenplaying hope fully they both won't....

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   
How do you think that the William Sisters are going to far at wimbeldon.

TRD

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hmm i think venus wont do that good her form isnt that great at the moment...

Serena isnt playing that bad and she is more unpredictable so i think serena could at least get through to the quarter finals...

But who knows they might come up against some players on top of their form and go out early or find themselves playing some great tennis...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Hmm i think venus wont do that good her form isnt that great at the moment...

Serena isnt playing that bad and she is more unpredictable so i think serena could at least get through to the quarter finals...

But who knows they might come up against some players on top of their form and go out early or find themselves playing some great tennis...

my predictions are venus going to the quarters, and serena goin to the finals

TRD

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hey osobad where you been???

Well we know what your predictions have been like..About just as good as mine...lol

Yep as i said serena should at least make the quater finals,but we shall have to wait and see..

TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne suffered a pre-Wimbledon injury scare on Saturday when she hurt her left hand and had to retire hurt during her final against Kim Clijsters at the Ordina Open.

Just two days before Wimbledon fortnight begins, the Belgians were contesting the title match in what was a repeat of their final at Roland Garros a fortnight ago.

Henin-Hardenne, a right-handed player, had taken the first set on a tie-break to make a promising start.

But she suffered the injury to the fingers of her left hand when slipping and tumbling over on the grass surface early in the second set, and her performance was clearly hampered during the next two games.

After falling 3-0 behind, the world number three told the match umpire she would have to quit the match due to extreme pain in each finger on her left hand.

Event organisers stressed that the injury would not necessarily force her out of Wimbledon where she was runner-up in 2001 to Venus Williams of the United States.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Chanda Rubin pledged to launch her best-ever Wimbledon bid after retaining the Hastings Direct title at Eastbourne with a 6-4 3-6 6-4 victory over Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez.

The 1994 Wimbledon champion Martinez, 31, may have to pull out of the event, where she is seeded 18.

She faces an x-ray on her damaged wrist before the first-round clash with Venezuelan qualifier Milagros Sequera.

American star Rubin, the world number seven, had to keep her cool through a two-and-a-half-hour delay caused by a bomb hoax call which forced officials to clear Eastbourne's Devonshire Park of 4,500 fans.

Then she had to battle against her own erratic serve as well as a string of frustrating interruptions while Martinez was treated for wrist and thigh problems.

TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Kim Clijsters battled back from a set down to beat Jennifer Capriati 4-6 6-4 6-2 in the final of the Bank of the West Classic in California.

The second-seeded Belgian finally overpowered Capriati in one hour 55 minutes to win her fifth title of the year.

The third seed had won her first three encounters with Clijsters - including their thrilling 2001 French Open final, which featured a 12-10 third set.

But the last four meetings have gone three sets, with Clijsters winning the last two.

"You don't really start thinking how long you're going to play," Clijsters said. "It's true, in the past we've had so many long matches and always long rallies.

"It's very satisfying to win matches like this, not only the mental part, but physically."

The 20-year-old Belgian took over the WTA Tour lead in tournament victories - one more than top-ranked Serena Williams and French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne.

TRD

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:47 PM
link   
1 Serena Williams USA 6060
2 Kim Clijsters Bel 5796
3 Justine Henin-Hardenne Bel 4705
4 Venus Williams USA 3925
5 Lindsay Davenport USA 3529
6 Amelie Mauresmo Fra 2932
7 Jennifer Capriati USA 2739
8 Chanda Rubin USA 2434
9 Daniela Hantuchova Svk 2078
10 Anastasia Myskina Rus 1990
11 Ai Sugiyama Jap 1763
12 Jelena Dokic Yug 1758
13 Magdalena Maleeva Bul 1700
14 Conchita Martinez Spa 1637
15 Amanda Coetzer Rsa 1547
16 Elena Dementieva Rus 1483
17 Vera Zvonareva Rus 1468.5
18 Meghann Shaughnessy USA 1415
19 Patty Schnyder Sui 1401
20 Silvia Farina Elia Ita 1384

Well Serena is getting closed down at the top and Venus has slipped to 4th...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join