It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Women's Tennis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Venus started off the better player but Serena has overtaken her..

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is it pretty close when they play?

TRD

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't actualy see every game,but some i have Venus seemed to have the edge until the last year..

Ben

posted on Apr, 17 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A couple of years ago Venus was the dominate sister, but lately Serena has been the dominate winning the past 5 or 6 matches, almost all of them in the finals. Which i cant stand. It seem like the tournament directors put the sisters on opposite sides so that they can meet in the finals.

TRD

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Lindsey Davenport

If Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati are on a collision course at the Bausch & Lomb Championships, there is no doubt who will be the fresher player.

Davenport, the second seed, breezed into the quarter-finals on by dispatching Germany's Marlene Weingartner 6-1 6-1.

And, in her two matches, Davenport has dropped just three games this week.

Seems as if she has recovered and playing good tennis again,let's hope she can give the williams a few beatings.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Who do you guys think is the best women's tennis player in the world, is it Serena ?

Ben

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
So far Serena is the best player in the world, but i dont think that will last two long, the other women are getting much stronger on the tour. By the end of the year i would look for a new number 1. I would like to see Kim as number 1 or even Jen. But right now Sernea is number 1.

TRD

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
As Ben say's Serena is the world number 1 at the moment but the other's are slowly catching up.Davenport could be a thorn in her side as she can match her for power.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Davenport will match Serena for power? I thought that Serena was head and shoulders against the other women tennis players as far as power. I didnt know Lindsay was known for her power, when is the next major match?

TRD

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
April 19 - WTA Bausch & Lomb Champs
Semi-finals:

(10) Elena Dementieva (Rus) bt (1) Justine Henin-Hardenne (Bel) 3-6 6-4 7-5

(2) Lindsay Davenport (USA) bt (3) Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-3 5-7 6-2

That's the latest womens matches...

What i meant with Davenport she has had her problems and she is a stong player and quite powerfull,maybe one of the only one's to get close to Serena in that aspect.

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I assume that the Williams sister's did not enter this tournament?

TRD

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Do you know what i'm not too sure,there are about 4 tournament's being played at the moment and they can enter any of them..
I'll have to check it out!

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Come on, I thought you were our women's tennis expert here TRD !
Just kiddin'.

Ben

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The William Sister have been dropping out of tournaments lately. The next big mayor if Roland Garros or the French Open, i think it is in June of May. Davenport can match Sernea with the power but not with the Speed, and she has been out lately with some key injuryes.

TRD

posted on Apr, 20 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Come on, I thought you were our women's tennis expert here TRD !
Just kiddin'.

HaHa nice!!!!!

Elena Dementieva of Russia captured her first career title on Sunday as she rallied past second seed Lindsay Davenport to win the Bausch & Lomb Championships.

The 21-year-old Dementieva dropped the first set and trailed 4-2 in the second before pulling out a 4-6 7-5 6-3 triumph over the former world number one.

Venus was the defending champion but she didn't take part...

As for Serena she has pulled out of her next tournament..

Ben

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
it was nice to see Dementieva pull of this win, she upseted a couple of top players through out this tournament and she deserved this victory, she fighted through out the match, as Davenport is continually looking better and better with every match that she plays in. It was nice to see another champion that isnt the sisters, hopefully this will keep up. I hope the women's tennis turns out more like the mens tennis tournament winners wise. With men's tennis there isnt really a dominating force their are a number of great players, take a look at the grand slam winners last couple of years there were 9 or 10 different winning slams. If you take a look at the women side it is basically the Sisters and Jen. Hopefully more women players win tournaments like they are doing now.

TRD

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes it is good to see other's win,but let's see how they do in the bigger tounament's as the williams alway's seem to do better in them...

Here's the top 15 in the world at the moment as you can see Serena is still way out in front,but their is a long way to go yet.The other girl's have to get a bit more consistant...

1 Serena Williams USA 7055

2 Kim Clijsters Bel 4585
3 Venus Williams USA 4555
4 Justine Henin-Hardenne Bel 3910
5 Lindsay Davenport USA 3304
6 Jennifer Capriati USA 2883
7 Amelie Mauresmo Fra 2687
8 Chanda Rubin USA 2524
9 Daniela Hantuchova Svk 2512
10 Jelena Dokic Yug 2279
11 Anastasia Myskina Rus 2265
12 Monica Seles USA 1864
13 Elena Dementieva Rus 1688
14 Magdalena Maleeva Bul 1624
15 Eleni Daniilidou Gre 1543.75

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
TRD, What do the numbers represent??

Ben

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
the points represent how much you win on the tour. Every time you win a tournament you get a certain number of points, you can also recevie points for getting into the quaters, semi's, or the round of 16 and so on. The only way thought that you get points, is if you place better in this years tournament than last years. Say last year you only got to the first round. Then this year you made it to the quaters, you will get a certain number of points added onto your total points rankings. But if you won a tournament last year, and only got to the quaters this year, you will lose a certain number of points.

TRD

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ben just about summed it up for you,it's the same as most sport's accumalate the most point's in the season to get the number 1.Another one who use the same sort of ranking system is Snooker....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join