It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: NBA MVP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Who is this season's Most Valuable Player? Is it Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, or someone else?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm not going to get in-depth, but I think LeBron is the MVP. He's had to carry his mediocre team into the playoffs, by coming up big in big games. People can Argue Kobe for 35 ppg and 81 points, but IMO, anyone can average 35 a game when they take 40+ shots.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
From what I have seen of the NBA this season (and that ain't too much), I'm in agreement with GF on this. LeBron is growing into the star of this league, and he has shown that he can carry his team. And there is no way that Kobe has a claim to it, with his team stumbling into the playoffs.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
as much as I despise "the Mamba," Kobe deserves the MVP this year. Granted he takes an enormous amount of shots, but he is only the fifth person to average 35 pts. a game (Wilt,Mj,Elgin, and Rich Barry). He had the most memorable moments of the season with his scoring surges. He thrived off the controversy and hiss fall from grace. He led his team in the playoffs, with arguably a worse supporting cast than Lebron. Also the Lakers play in a harder conference than Cleveland does. Too bad the talent is so stacked this year, my boy Pierce had an incredible year.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What I'd Like to see:

Kobe and leBron tie for the NBA MVP. Both are set to face each other in the NBA Fianls. The MVP goes to the Champion. Wouldn't that be something? Have the MVP determined in the biggest series of the year.

Now will this happen? No... because the Lakers won't be making it out of the first round

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'd like to see Kobe vs. Lebron for MVP honors, but like you said, its very unlikely. Lebron has plenty of years to get himself a trophy, he gotta build a better team around him (although hopefully he stays in Cleveland). Also don't count out the underdog, I'm not putting money on them but crazier things have happened. I'd like to see the Clippers make it as far as possible.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
One of the things I've always pondered about the term "Most Valuable Player" is what does it exactly mean? Is the the best player in the league? The player most valuable to the league? Or the player most valuable to his team? If it is the best player in the NBA, then I would have to say Dirk Nowitzki, although LeBron James is close. Both of them have complete games. If it's the player most valuable to his team, then I say Kobe Bryant. The Lakers could not break 20 wins without him.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
They won't give it to Kobe, his image is tarnished, and he is a selfish imp. It should go to LeBron, I doubt that the Cavs would be in the playoffs without him.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The way I look at it is, in basketball, the MVP is usually someone who will be remembered ten years from now. Now, IMHO, the NFL and MLB mvp doesn't mean as much (for example Big Papi lost to A-Rod which was horrible but doesn't really matter in the long run). My point is, the NBA MVP should be the person who in ten years time is the one who defined that season, and despite what Kobie has done and what kind of person he is; he is the definition of MVP this year (going by my interpretation of what MVP is, which is a different topic). Anyway that's my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You can't go based off of the most "Memorable" player... because if you did thaat, then you could argue that Artest was the MVP during the season he was in the brawl. Of course I know that's not exactly what you mean, but it can be interpreted that way. The MVP should go to the player who did the best for his TEAM, not the best for HIMSELF. Which is why LeBron deserves it. Not only did LeBron average 32 PPG, but he also nearly averaged double digits in Assists and rebounds.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Good point about Artest, I didn't think of it that way. I should've phrased as in ten years who would you remember being the dominant player. I feel Kobe was, he led his team to the playoffs with a weaker supporting cast than Lebron has and in a tougher divison. Lebron is carrying a medeiocre team to the playoffs, but it's in a much weaker division in the East. No douby Lebron had a great year, but he'll have plenty more chances to win the MVP (hopefully). BTW, my dark horse for MVP is Billups.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Then again, they usually give the award to a player from the team with the best record, or close to the best record. These teams usually are very well rounded, as would be expected. Considering this, we can eliminate LeBron and Kobe from the equation. It is going to be Duncan, or maybe Billups.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No, Duncan's out of the running. He had an off year due to those nagging foot injuries. I don't think Billups will get it because Detroit has so many good players: not single one stands out as the best. My bet is that the voting will go: 1) LeBron, 2) Nash, 3) Kobe.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Nash was named this years NBA MVP
sports.yahoo.com...;_ylt= AkVvDy0EZEfJT9CfQ69Q2QW8vLYF?slug=ap-suns-nash-mvp&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm not surprised by this, obviously winning the MVP is helped by positive media attention, which Kobe was somewhat lacking. Kobe's scoring was great, but he also took the most shots in the league. Also he isn't a team player, which is why he can't get much talent that wants to play with him.

Nash put up 18.8 ppg and 10.5 apg while also shooting over 50% from the field. I just had to make the point that in 89-90, Stockton put up 17.2 ppg, 14.5 apg, 2.65 spg, and also shot over 50%, and he didn't even make ALL-NBA first team. Just further proof that there's no justice in the world.

Sorry, I should've put this is the other thread.

[Edited on 4/27/06 by Kwyjibo]

new topics

top topics

join