It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: MLB Rookie of the Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 01:24 AM
link   
What do you guys think about Japanese players being eligible for rookie of the year? Most of the Japanese players in MLB came from the Japanese league which is considered professional baseball. Do you think its fair for a 22 year old rookie in his first year as a pro, straight from the minors, to be eligible for the same award as say Hideki Matsui, who is 28 and has played pro ball?

I personally think if a player has played professionally anywhere in the world, he shouldn't be eligible for rookie awards.

Ben

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think that the rookie of the year award means the first year you are in the MLB, because all the other leagues around the world, from the minors, to Japan leagues they arnt even close to being like the MLB. The MLB is a lot more difficult than any other baseball league.

Sure it does seem a little werid about a 28 year old man winning a rookie of the year award. But the MLB is totally different look at the hard time Matsui is doing in the league he is adjusting very slowing becasue of all the different pitches that you see.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I know what you mean about Matsui not seeing MLB-type pitches and I'm sure it's more difficult than the Japanese league, but the way I see it, it's not fair to the 21 or 22 year old who worked his way up through the minors to compete against a 28 year old who has been playing baseball for say, 6 or 7 years more. I think its arguable, thats why I posted it, wanted to get some other opinions.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I agree with Ben. The award is for their first year in MLB. They should be eligible.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I see what your saying Proud. It really isn't fair to the younger guys. However, if a 28 year old rookie MLB player finally makes the pros and is making an impact on their team, by all means he should be included in the voting.

Ben

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
what other rookies are playing well enough to earn the Rookie of the year? (who are the other rookies out there)

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
However, if a 28 year old rookie MLB player finally makes the pros and is making an impact on their team, by all means he should be included in the voting.

I see what you are saying also, but in Matsui's case, in reality he isn't "finally making the pros", he is simply going from one pro league (Japan) to a different professional league (MLB). Thats the point I am trying to make, Matsui is technically in his seventh pro season.

Originally posted by Benwhat other rookies are playing well enough to earn the Rookie of the year?

Its too early to say now, but there are quite a few of rookies starting and making an impact on teams that are seeing professional pitchers for the first time (unlike pro Japanese players).

You have Mark Teixeira in Texas, Brandon Phillips in Cleveland, Marlon Byrd in Philly, Joe Thurston in LA to name a few plus a handful of pitchers.

Ben

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
i know where you are coming from PA with the whole Matsui thing in a way it is unfair.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet that Matsui wins it this year, I think it's so unfair. Oh well.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I went and found this thread from back in April and I have to say I'm pleased that Berroa won the award over Matsui for the reasons I already mentioned.

From a recent article:

New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner is fuming over the voting motives of some writers that determined the winner of the American League Rookie of the Year Award. Steinbrenner is so upset that he issued a statement on Tuesday saying the voting was a "farce" and that "a great injustice has been done to Hideki Matsui."

The debate then resumed as to the qualifications of the Rookie of the Year. Major League Baseball has no age stipulation for the award. Berroa is 25 and Matsui is 29. Berroa had 35 games under his belt before this season. Matsui had 10 years of professional Japanese experience and was a three-time MVP of Japan's Central League.

The debate over changing the rookie rules has been a hot topic in recent years. Kazuhiro Sasaki (2000) and Ichiro Suzuki (2001) were each named AL Rookie of the Year for the Mariners after playing in Japan. Hideo Nomo won the NL honor with the Dodgers in 1995 under similar circumstances.

Ben

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:50 PM
link   
But if you notice from what other sports reporters said...that the Japenesse leauge is between AA and AAA ball. Matsui was just able to adjust to the league quick than Berroro did.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
In my mind i thought Matsui wouold have won it hands down. But i guess that is my opinion.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think Matsui had a slightly better year than Berroa, therefore I think the point I brought up was in the minds of many of the voters. Would you agree?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think Webb should have won it, not Willis.
:bounce:

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I think Webb should have won it, not Willis.
:bounce:

Yea I agree.

top topics

join