It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there so many Atheists on FST?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Ah...I see... I am not supposed to have an opinion at all,eh? WOW!!!

Oh.. first you weren't insulting atheists.. and now you're just giving your 'opinion'. To quote you:

I couldn't care less what you believe as long as your beliefs don't infringe upon what I believe..

If you truly believe this.. don't denograte my beliefs. It's not only not nice.. it's not very christian.

By the way, where have you ever seen me refer to a God that is going to "smite" anyone? You haven't and you won't...

I was raised Catholic and I was explaining the philosophy in comparison to christianity.. no-where did I say that YOU said that. Nice try.. it's almost as though you are laying in wait to play the persecution card and accuse one of us of picking on you for being christian. Greattech accused me of finding god 'repugnent' just because I said buddhists don't believe in god.. you're so intune with eachother..

Therefore,I suggest you examine what you think about Christians and Christianity before you lump all of us into your little boxed in theory.

wtf? You're carrying on because I used the word 'smite' and think thats enough to accuse me of hating christians?

We defend our own beliefs but that act qualifies as an attack on christianity by default. Jesus would be so proud.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by riley]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Out of curiosity SpeakerofTruth, how did you come to your quasi-Christian beliefs?

Out of much study and not taking everything that I was told by a pastor at face value. Why?

[edit on 16-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Riley,I am not going to argue with you. However,I do suggest before you subscribe theories to things that you...probably no little of, I suggest you study it, Thank ya.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was just curious why some things in the bible you accept and others you reject. Are you your own God, passing laws and creating your own tailored religion?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I was just curious why some things in the bible you accept and others you reject. Are you your own God, passing laws and creating your own tailored religion?

No, I just don't accept the standard interpretation of things... By the way, thge interpretation that the modern day "church" expounds was created by man , not God.. And don't give me this "Pastors are divinely inspired," crap because I will call bs in a hurry on that..

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

No, I just don't accept the standard interpretation of things...

So YOU are judge and jury (God)?

By the way, thge interpretation that the modern day "church" expounds was created by man , not God.. And don't give me this "Pastors are divinely inspired," crap because I will call bs in a hurry on that..

You should feel free to "call BS" if you like but Christians follow the BIBLE not men. If a pastor or priest is teaching through the bible then they are indeed teachers of the faith. That is why finding a Bible based Church is so important.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Ahem..okay..

Kinglizard, believe as you wish. Since I am not trying to enforce my beliefs upon you, what I believe shouldn't be any of your concern at all. Why the 25 questions is beyond me.. However, I will and have answered any questions that you ask.. Just don't try to conform me to something that I view as, in my honest opinion, nothing more than brainwashing. Anytime someone has to go to a place to be told what to believe, that tells me that they either have the inability or unwillingness to think for themselves.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Kinglizard, believe as you wish. Since I am not trying to enforce my beliefs upon you, what I believe shouldn't be any of your concern at all. Why the 25 questions is beyond me.

Sorry if you think I'm "grilling" you, I just wanted to understand how you came to your beliefs because you call yourself a Christian but it seemed you "cherry picked" from the Bible. You will receive no further questions from me....I hope one day you really do accept the Christian faith.

However, I will and have answered any questions that you ask.. Just don't try to conform me to something that I view as, in my honest opinion, nothing more than brainwashing. Thank you.

So you consider parts of the Bible brainwashing and others truth? ( OK that was the last question
)

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
No, I consider the institution that you would call "church" a form of brainwashing.. Have a good day..

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I don't know which is more ridiculous.. To believe that there is no God but that there is an afterlife or... To believe that there is a God but that there is no afterlife... Both idologies are somewhat perplexing to me.

That's ok that you don't understand. The belief in an all-powerful, supernatural being who is perfect and omnipotent and omniscient and the originator and ruler of the universe is a bit perplexing to me. However, I would never call anyone who believes in such a fool. Because I know that everyone's beliefs are fairly sacred to them and to call them a fool would only serve to reveal myself as one.

Originally posted by melatonin
I don't fall into the category you and the 'humbleone' seem to vilify, but I guess it is possible that someone can believe that consciousness/'souls' are a natural and inherent property of the universe and that they are everlasting and 'recycled'.

Very well said, melatonin. I have no reason to believe souls are 'recycled', but I can certainly accept the possibility.

Why are you criticising me?

Can you quote specifically the criticism you're referring to here?

I don't know of any religion, not even buddhism, that believes in an afterlife but no God..

Atheism is not a 'religion' in the strict sense of the word. There are not strictures and codes that every atheist follows. There is no book that tells people how to be atheist. There is only one common belief among atheists and that is that there is no God. Everything else is open for interpretation. There are no commandments, common beliefs, worshipping, prayers, songs or any of the other rituals found in conventional religions.

I have NO religion.

Where did I say anything against atheism?

You agreed with the humble one that an atheist who believes in the afterlife is a fool. You quoted the direct admitted insult, and agreed. And called it ridiculous.

Out of much study and not taking everything that I was told by a pastor at face value.

Cool. That's exactly how I came to my beliefs.

Generally speaking:
I think a lot of the need to have a firm, carved-in-stone story to believe and count on is a matter of 'fear of the unknown' for many people, which I totally understand. Over the years, though, I have been able to let go of the need to know, whether it's where I came from, why I'm here or what exactly happens when I die. It's very freeing. I have no negative judgments about people who feel they need to have security in knowing these things, but I just don't need it anymore. I feel very confident that whatever 'force' caused me to get here (if there is one) will be sure to get me safely to the next place. I have FAITH.

Why the 25 questions is beyond me..

Welcome to the club.

I hope one day you really do accept the Christian faith.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
By the way,I only consider myself Christian because I believe in Jesus Christ and the moral precepts of christianity.It doesn't mean that I have been indoctrinated like so many other "christians."

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No, I consider the institution that you would call "church" a form of brainwashing..

OK so anywhere men gather to study the Bible is considered brainwashing unless they are studying the parts you believe in...Interesting....

Have a good day..

Somehow I don't think you really wish me a good day considering the context of your post....but good day to you too. lol

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You agreed with the humble one that an atheist who believes in the afterlife is a fool.

I am feigning to know where I agreed with the fool part. I certainly did agree that the idea of believeing in an afterlife and no God was a bit bizarre, but I didn't say that a person who believed that was a "fool."

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Why the 25 questions is beyond me..

Welcome to the club.

Well this is a discussion board, if you don't want to participate feel free to ignore questions or log-off.

Back to the club thing....Do you guys wear any cool hats or anything. lol

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Kinglizard, we could go round and round about this.. However, you are missing my point. Why do I, or anyone else need to rely on someone elses interpretation of the bible,rather than my own? That makes absolutely no sense et al.

If a group of people want to gather to study the bible or the Koran, or the Nag Hammadi...Fine. However,when I begin to have a problem is when people declare it to be a necessity to have a group in order to understand.. That, in my opinion, is Codswallop!!

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

By the way,I only consider myself Christian because I believe in Jesus Christ and the moral precepts of christianity.It doesn't mean that I have been indoctrinated like so many other "christians."

See now was that so hard...geez...that was all I wanted to know for goodness sake.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

See now was that so hard...geez...that was all I wanted to know for goodness sake.

Well, ....(Scratches head)
:bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Save part of that wall for me please.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I certainly did agre that the idea of believeing in an afterlife and no God was a bit bizarre, but I didn't say that a person who believed that was a "fool."

Read the quote and read your response here. When you're agreeing with someone's quote, be careful to include only the part of the quote that you agree with.
That's where I (and maybe others) thought you were agreeing with the insult (fools) that humble threw out there.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-12-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
I'm gonna tell you straight out, you atheists that believe in the afterlife but don't believe in God are the biggest fools. Is that an insult? Yes.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

Humble,now that I will agree with you about. I don't know which is more ridiculous.. To believe that there is no God but that there is an afterlife or... To believe that there is a God but that there is no afterlife... Both idologies are somewhat perplexing to me.

ARGGGHHH>>>> :bnghd::bnghd: I thought I deleted that other part.. :shk: Well, "fools" is not a word that I use lightly. Formy part, the term "perhaps misguided" would have been of better use than the word "fools."

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join