It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there so many Atheists on FST?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
FST, being Faith, Spirituality & Theology. What are the reasons for atheists frequently posting on FST?

1) To attack believers?
2) Hatred of God even if there was a slightest possibility that He might exist in their minds?
3) To show "superior" intelligence in their minds?
4) A negative view of life that must be shown?
5) Worship of Charles Darwin?
6) Educational enlightenment or educational lapse?
7) Lack of humility?
8) Belief that they can create the Universe that exists?
9) A bad family?
10) Self-centeredness?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edn

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just because someone is atheist doesn't mean the don't believe in the existence of god, faith & spirituality etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Im gessing it's the same reason there is so many skeptics posting on aliens/ufos and paranormal studys etc.
In a way i think it's good to have both points of view but unfortunatly their will always be people out there who just want to "attack" other members for their belleifs, and sometimes detering others from posting valuble coments.
It's good to see the mods usually take note of people like that.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Just because someone is atheist doesn't mean the don't believe in the existence of god, faith & spirituality etc.

An atheist is somebody who does not believe in God or deities so you got me confused on this one.

Edn

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Two kinds of atheism
There are usually said to be two kinds of atheism - weak atheism and strong atheism. Weak atheism is the belief that there is no reason for a god to exist. Someone who is a weak atheist does not believe in any god he or she knows about. He or she does not expect to believe in any god he or she hears about. Weak atheists are also open to the idea that there is some driving force that keeps the universe in motion but that force is not a divine being.

Strong atheism is the belief that there can be no such thing as a god. Some use arguments that it would not be possible for there ever to be a god. For example, some say that it is not possible for any being to know everything.

Atheism is not a body of belief in itself. It's just a lack of any belief in a deity.

simple.wikipedia.org...

I know know several Atheists some of which don't believe there can be a god and some of which don't worship a god but are open to the thought that there may be a god or higher being of some sort.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would say it has to be all 10.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I know know several Atheists some of which don't believe there can be a god and some of which don't worship a god but are open to the thought that there may be a god or higher being of some sort.

The that would mean you're an agnostic, not an atheist.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I just got dragged down here with a moved thread, then saw a thread labelled 'for all the atheists' and have stayed a while...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

The that would mean you're an agnostic, not an atheist.

but there are such things as agnostic-atheists or weak atheists. I consider myself one. But I probably tend more to atheistic side.

I also think an atheist can be 'spiritual'.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
What are the reasons for atheists frequently posting on FST?

You just had another thread on this same subject. Maybe you should read over the replies there again.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I have noticed there are many Atheists/Agnostics and a few Satanists at FST. I am especially interested why they might post or reply at FST.

I'm not an Atheist, but here's part of my answer on that thread, which is still true:

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, I'd say that most of us post here to have a reasoned discourse about religion, spirituality and gods. That includes people who who have the belief that they don't or shouldn't exist as well as those who believe they do.

Do you think Atheists shouldn't post here?

Atheism is a belief about what you call God. Many Atheists and Agnostics are spiritual. FST...

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   

What are the reasons for atheists frequently posting on FST?

You just had another thread on this same subject. Maybe you should read over the replies there again.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I have noticed there are many Atheists/Agnostics and a few Satanists at FST. I am especially interested why they might post or reply at FST.

I'm not an Atheist, but here's part of my answer on that thread, which is still true:

So, I'd say that most of us post here to have a reasoned discourse about religion, spirituality and gods. That includes people who who have the belief that they don't or shouldn't exist as well as those who believe they do.

Do you think Atheists shouldn't post here?

Atheism is a belief about what you call God. Many Atheists and Agnostics are spiritual. FST...

Benevolent Heretic, thank you for pointing out the partial glitch I made, but you must admit the content is significantly different.

ATS, PTS, BTS, and FST are an open forum for all, including atheists. I went through a 6 year period of atheism myself and in retrospect I was a self-centered, egotistical, and arrogant jerk. Please tell me how atheists and agnostics are spiritual. When I was an atheist, I was only spiritual for myself, something that I now deeply regret as a believer.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
perhaps to debate?

oh wait, this is a forum, that doesn't occur!

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
perhaps to debate?

oh wait, this is a forum, that doesn't occur!

Lysergic, is it to debate? Or is it to convert?

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I dunno, what is your goal?

Rather not hear any opinion that might oppose yours?

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well as everyone knows,or should, I am certainly not an athiest..However,I think they,like everyone else, are entitled to believe as they wish. I have a little different view of atheism than some probably do. While I certainly do not agree with the atheistic point of view, I understand their point of view..

Here is my take on most of them..I truly think that a lot of athiest want to believe in a God, but, because athiests generally look for empirical evidence they can not.. I think the reason that some athiests come to this forum is in the hope that someone might present some information that will confirm the existence of a God.. I actually think that deep down, many athiests are actually doubtful believers.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I dunno, what is your goal?

Rather not hear any opinion that might oppose yours?

My goal is to strengthen the belief of believers, convert the fence-sitters, and to be a beacon of light for the atheists. God have mercy whenever I show a lack of humility in my life or goal. I am happy that during my previous 6-year period of atheism/oblivion that I never attempted to convert another person to atheism. Many people on FST attempt to convert believers or fence-sitters into atheism.

If an opinion is in opposition to faith I am hurt because a person is in great need. Through God's grace and time, though, that person will be helped.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   

1) To attack believers?
2) Hatred of God even if there was a slightest possibility that He might exist in their minds?
3) To show "superior" intelligence in their minds?
4) A negative view of life that must be shown?
5) Worship of Charles Darwin?
6) Educational enlightenment or educational lapse?
7) Lack of humility?
8) Belief that they can create the Universe that exists?
9) A bad family?
10) Self-centeredness?

Oh yes, you must be correct with most of this. As someone who does not 'belive' (we can get into my spiritual beliefs some other time and some other place) I must say that I love to do all of those things.

I mean, my annual D.N.A. (Darwin Lovers Anonymous) meetings are a great place to discuss how superior the intelligence in our minds is...but sometimes that just isn't enough and we have to come over here and 'show off' a bit in this forum.

And thank you for finally adressing a major issue in the D.N.A. community that has been kept in the closet for some time: our bad families. I feel that it is the bad family from which I was spawned that has both ignited and fueled my hatred of God. Damn you God, damn you.

Furthermore, I feel that you have really hit the nail on the head in another area: lack of humilty. We are quite extravegantly wonderful beings, us D.N.A.'ers and, when we aren't busy trying to bring our collective dream of creating the universe into fruition, we like to spend our time discussing how certain light conditions compliment our exquisite features.

And lastly I must admit that you are correct about our darkest secret. We believe life is a negative curse brought upon us by some cosmic mistake and it just makes our blood boil. Many a meeting we spend at least ten minutes thrusting our fists into the sky and cursing the fully explainable and recreatable heavens. After said meetings and fist pumping we sometimes go into a rage (fueled by scientifically created concepts of our own self importance) and attack any 'believer' that we can find. Christian, Jewishm Muslim, Hindu...anything you can think of, we have attacked them all; beating them to a theological pulp with our harsh words and criticisms.

As I write you this very reply, our pannel of beautiful and intellectually orgasmic 'Little Darwins', or 'Lil' D's' as we like to call them, is attempting to have this forums name changed into Technology, Technology, and Why We Are Better Than You.

I think it has a certain ring to it which could make even the most devout 'believer' throw down his faithful ways and repent to the empty heavens above.

[edit on 12/15/0606 by spines]

[edit on 12/15/0606 by spines]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
spines!
I cracked up at your response! Thank you for making that point so crystal clear.

SpeakerofTruth, I so appreciate your acceptance of people with different beliefs. If only more 'believers' were as open and accepting as you... Thank you. I don't agree that most agnostics are looking for proof of God's existence, but I understand and accept your point of view.

GreatTech, you talked about how self-centered, egotistical, and arrogant you were as an atheist. Read over your 10 assumptions about atheists and agnostics (those who are likely to view this thread because of the title) and ask yourself how much that has really changed.
And thehumbleone you might want to think on that for a moment yourself, seeing as how you readily agree with all of GreatTech's assumptions.

I went through a 6 year period of atheism myself and in retrospect I was a self-centered, egotistical, and arrogant jerk.

Just because that's how you were doesn't mean that's how anyone else is. In fact, I know plenty of God-believers who are self-centered, egotistical, and arrogant jerks. A belief in God and one's personality really have nothing to do with each other in my experience.

Please tell me how atheists and agnostics are spiritual.

They CAN be spiritual. Many, while not believing in a deity, believe that there is more to mankind than the physical. What's more than physical? Spiritual!
Some (like myself) believe in life after death. In fact, I believe the most important part of each of us is our spirit (the non-physical part of us) that moves into the next place. I believe we are a spirit in possession of a mind and a body. Not a body possessing a mind and spirit... Our body is just our vehicle and our mind is the engine. The essence of each of us is our spirit.

How's that for spiritual?

GreatTech - Do you think Atheists shouldn't post here?

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

My goal is to strengthen the belief of believers, convert the fence-sitters, and to be a beacon of light for the atheists.

No offense, but it seems kind of strange to say that's a goal of yours in a thread that (to me at least) seems to be against the idea of atheists joining the fray.

Many people on FST attempt to convert believers or fence-sitters into atheism.

Is this not a good thing? Is it not good to have one's faith challenged, and to rise against the trials and temptations brought on by those with a differing opinion?

From what poor psychological learnin' I've done, a lack of confidence in one's beliefs leads people to openly and aggressively resist opposing ideals or threatening concepts. I've yet to meet someone who had true and complete confidence in their significant other who was jealous about said spouse's friends; I've yet to meet an affirmed homophobe who was completely confident in their own sexual representation. These are probably poor examples, but I hope the underlying point I'm attempting is made.

Fear begets overt resistance--trying to keep those with differing ideals away--and a lack of confidence begets fear. Confidence in one's beliefs welcomes a challenge.

FWIW, I personally don't consider myself "Atheist;" perhaps agnostic, but if one were to hand me a survey form listing all the religions of the world I'd have to choose "Other" or refuse to respond--quite frankly, I don't think anyone has it right, and I refer any readers to the movie "Dogma" as an excellent (and quite funny) philosophical outlook.

Anyways, back to the OT; I think most atheists come here for the same reason everyone goes to all of the threads on A/B/PTS--read, learn, debate, laugh, whatever. You'll have people in the 9/11 forum stating that Bush is behind everything, others saying the gov't line is the truth; as someone above mentioned, the Aliens forum draws people from both ends of the spectrum.

Any subject discussed on here that has any potential for differing opinions (especially one so heated as FS&T) will draw people from all perspectives. Some will be here just to force their beliefs on others (which is hardly 'right' regardless of said belief), some will be here for an honest debate. Just the nature of the beast.

Edit To Add:
Wouldn't a lack of faith also be considered a faith in itself? I mean, an atheist (in the sense being used by the OP, I believe) is going on faith that there is no higher power. The whole "I decide to not decide" type mentality in a way. By starting a sentence with "I believe..." you're claiming your faith, whether the sentence finishes with "in Christ", "in Buddha", or "in nothing." By that measure, wouldn't this forum be just as applicable to those who claim "no higher power" as their faith?

[edit on 12/15/2006 by MCory1]

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   
First of all, EXCELLENT post, MCory1!

Originally posted by MCory1
I don't think anyone has it right, and I refer any readers to the movie "Dogma" as an excellent (and quite funny) philosophical outlook.

I couldn't agree more!

My goal is to ... convert the fence-sitters,
Many people on FST attempt to convert believers or fence-sitters into atheism.

So... I just want to check this out and see if I understand your position on this... Are you saying that it's ok and even good and righteous for you to try to "convert the fence-sitters" to your beliefs, but NOT ok for someone who believes differently than you to do so?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join