It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there so many Atheists on FST?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
No, because while they believe in themselves, they don't believe themselves to be a god.

You're a trip!

Well,while you are laughing,Heretic. Let me explain something to ya..

If one is to assume that we are all a part of the Godhead, and a person believes in him/her self, then it can be deducted, albeit somewhat in a round about wa, that the person believes in God whether they like it or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
If one is to assume that we are all a part of the Godhead, and a person believes in him/her self, then it can be deducted, albeit somewhat in a round about wa, that the person believes in God whether they like it or not.

That argument presupposes a belief in God and that we are all part of the "Godhead" (although I am not quite sure what that means).

So if we do not believe in God then we do not fall into the little roundabout argument you put forward.

Oh well.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
@ Spines

The emphasis of my comment is placed on, "whether they like it or not." So, yeah, it applies whether you personally believe in God or not. Regardless of what you believe, what is true is true. Your belief has no influence as to whether God exists, or if you are a part of that Godhead.

[edit on 16-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 16-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Then if atheists believe in themselves, certainly they are not atheists.

No, because while they believe in themselves, they don't believe themselves to be a god.

You're a trip!

I try to be a trip

AT any rate, i'm sure you see my point. If you could view reality through God's eye(s), then what would God call God? Would God think God was an atheist? God does fit some definitions of the word.

This was the only point i was trying to make with that episode.

Which, if you think about it, would be priceless. It would make both Christians, and atheists, both right, to a degree.

I know what you are saying Benevolent Heretic. And, i am not totally disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that by the very definition of how we percieve "God", and the word "Atheist", that God itself could fit the description of an atheist. So, regardless of what "atheists" believe, perhaps it is more important what God believes?

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

@ Spines

The emphasis of my comment is placed on, "whether they like it or not." So, yeah, it applies whether you personally believe in God or not. Regardless of what you believe, what is true is true. Your belief has no influence as to whether God exists, or if you are a part of that Godhead.

You imply that I have no choice in my belief.

I have made a choice to not believe in God.

A convaluted argument will not change that fact. The only thing that could is personal experience on my part.

However, I can see that this is one of those arguments that it is better to just bow out of.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
@ Spines

No,I am implying that you have no choice in deciding what the truth is. One can BELIEVE whatever he/she wishes.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   

@ Spines

No,I am implying that you have no choice in deciding what the truth is. One can BELIEVE whatever he/she wishes.

It seems to me that you said somethign along the lines of:

But more specifically this:

that the person believes in God whether they like it or not.

You state that I, and others, believe whether we like it or not. So no, I can not choose to believe or not to believe...according to your previous post that is.

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Speaker, i've been reading about your "Cherry Picking Christianity."

Are you sure it is us who have been "brainwashed" as you like to put it, or is it you who has with your "New Age" interpretation of Jesus.

I think it's the latter.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

Are you sure it is us who have been "brainwashed" as you like to put it, or is it you who has with your "New Age" interpretation of Jesus.

I think it's the latter.

You can "think" whatever you wish, but I am not the one being told what to believe. I believe on my own accord...and I make up my OWN mind as to what to believe and not to believe. Thank ya..Thank ya..

[edit on 17-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
By the way, "humble" :shk:, I will tell you like I told king lizard, as long as I don't enforce my beliefs on you, which I don't, what I believe or hw I believe it is really none of your concern.. You have a good morning,night, day or whatever the case may be.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I think it's the latter.

You can "think" whatever you wish, but I am not the one being told what to believe. I believe on my own accord...and I make up my OWN mind as to what to believe and not to believe. Thank ya..Thank ya..

Oh really? You're not being told what to believe Huh?

Well did you forget that you're being told by Jesus what to believe?

When you believe something or someone, especially when that someone is Jesus, you better believe all that he spoke, not just what you want, because you either believe he is the whole Truth or a lie.

There is no in between.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Oh, by the way "SpeakerofTruth":shk:, If I was you, I would change that deceiving name. What an ego eh? Claiming to be a speaker of Truth, give me a break.:shk:

[edit on 17-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Hey I'd be happy if I ever saw Lucifer at my door. I'd invite Jesus over and we could have cocktail party.
Nothing dark or mysterious about that.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Riley,I am not going to argue with you.

Yet..

However,

I've noticed this about your posting style. You open with 'peace maker' bs, probably thinking that some people are stupid enough to believe it.. then you start with even more insults. I think thats called 'passive aggression'.

I do suggest before you subscribe theories

What theories? I have told you FACTS about buddhism. I gave you a source.. clearly you didn't even bother reading it.

to things that you...probably no little of,

Big surprise.. MORE negative judgements about my charactor and intelligence.

I suggest you study it, Thank ya.

I have actually.. and I've studied christianity.

Your concept of christianity does not resemble christ's teaching at all.

I suggest you study it and stop trying to use christianty to elevate yourself above others. Going by how intollerent you are of non christians.. it seems you value the status of the messenger than you do the actual message.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by riley]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Oh, by the way "SpeakerofTruth":shk:, If I was you, I would change that deceiving name. What an ego eh? Claiming to be a speaker of Truth, give me a break.:shk:

[edit on 17-12-2006 by thehumbleone]

You think that your little smug,and I may add, unChristian, comments are going to provoke me into anything? You are just a youngster..and obviously one that has much to learn.

It's funny how you think that just because someone doesn't agree with everything you say that they don't know the truth.
My friend, when all is said and done, you will no doubt be one of those that are going to be quite shocked,but I will digress...

I believe I may just place you on my permanent ignore list along with "Sun_Matrix" and "Marduk," you are about their speed. :shk:

You have a very nice day now.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

I suggest you study it and stop trying to use christianty to elevate yourself above others. Going by how intollerent you are of non christians.. it seems you value the status of the messenger than you do the actual message.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by riley]

Really? You seem to attribute much to me that is entirely false, but, I am not surprised.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
First of all, I am totally amused at seeing the people who call themselves "Christians" arguing over who has it just right and who is cherry-picking and so forth!
Very entertaining! You all believe slightly different things (you call the TRUTH) but some claim that the atheists and agnostics are terribly 'wrong' in their beliefs and will surely pay the consequences... It's really an interesting study in human behavior and human nature.

Thank you.

If one is to assume that we are all a part of the Godhead,

This one (me) does not assume that we are all part of a GodHeah (whatever that is) so the rest of your idea does not apply to me.

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
I try to be a trip

I know

AT any rate, i'm sure you see my point.

I see what you're saying, but you ignore the main flaw in your argument, which is that God DOES believe in God (himself). And I'm quite sure you see what I'm saying as well.

I am implying that you have no choice in deciding what the truth is. One can BELIEVE whatever he/she wishes.

This statement reflects the arrogance I have spoken of. What makes you think that what you have decided is the Truth must be the Truth (for everyone)? I know, I know, because you read it somewhere and interpreted it correctly... or Jesus or God said it... or some other reasoning. But the arrogance in that statement shines like a beacon... or a warning. Basically, it says, "No matter what you believe, you're wrong." Sounds familiar...

I believe on my own accord...and I make up my OWN mind as to what to believe and not to believe.

But like you said, you can BELIEVE whatever you wish. But you have no choice in deciding what the truth is. (You just happen to think that what you believe is in line with what the TRUTH is, right?)

The difference between you (and other Christians) and me is that I don't ever claim that what I believe is the TRUTH for everyone. It's simply what I believe. And here are the Christians in this thread arguing over what each of them believes and putting each other down because each thinks they have a handle on the TRUTH!
Very entertaining indeed!

Oh, by the way "SpeakerofTruth":shk:, If I was you, I would change that deceiving name.

Thank you all for your participation here. Seeing you argue about the ONE Truth strengthens my beliefs, one of which is "Two people can believe two totally different things and both be right."

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I am implying that you have no choice in deciding what the truth is. One can BELIEVE whatever he/she wishes.

This statement reflects the arrogance I have spoken of. What makes you think that what you have decided is the Truth must be the Truth (for everyone)? I know, I know, because you read it somewhere and interpreted it correctly... or Jesus or God said it... or some other reasoning. But the arrogance in that statement shines like a beacon... or a warning. Basically, it says, "No matter what you believe, you're wrong." Sounds familiar...

Hmmmm I actually agree with SoT's statement - As it doesnt matter at all what ANYONE believes, it doesn't make it the truth (and that includes SoT and other religionites).

I am an devoted atheist with the knowledge that there might *THEORETICALLY* be a deity but totally disclude the notion of a personal deity such as yahweh or allah etc. I also disagree with the notion of a creator being. However just because there is a possibility doesnt mean that there is a probability. These and other beliefs of my own are one of the reasons that I personally post on FST as I feel that all beliefs should have the chance to be aired.

Although I have to agree, I like other atheists/agnostics do tend to get pissed off that we are continually being told that our beliefs are wrong by people, whose beliefs are based on faith in mythical beings.

G

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I will tell you like I told king lizard, as long as I don't enforce my beliefs on you, which I don't, what I believe or hw I believe it is really none of your concern.

Why does my name keep making it into your posts?

Anyway, it is you that keeps opening and commenting on "Faith, Spirituality & Theology" threads with your belief and thoughts. You should know by doing this you open your beliefs and thoughts to anyone reading. People will comment because this is a discussion board, some will agree with you and others won't. You should expect feedback.

Blessings...

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

Hmmmm I actually agree with SoT's statement -

I actually agree with the words he said, too, without the context of the thread's discussion. That's why I carefully said that his statement reflects arrogance. Not because of the words he says, but the implication that he HAS found the real truth and those who don't believe in God, haven't.

Considering the previous discussion in this thread, I was taking his words in context rather than standing on their own.

Although I have to agree, I like other atheists/agnostics do tend to get pissed off that we are continually being told that our beliefs are wrong by people, whose beliefs are based on faith in mythical beings.

Most of the time, I don't get pissed, rather 'tired' of it. But every once in a while (as indicated by my full participation in this thread) I get more than tired of it and just want to point out what I see as the absurdity of it all.

I hope someday to let it roll off my back all the time, as I know others are able to do. When I really think about it... Who cares what others think about my beliefs? It's none of their business, anyway. But sometimes.... :bash:

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join