It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Jack, You seem to have studied this area more. In most cases, do the voices speak in first, second, or third person?

1st: I am reading ATS.
2nd: You are reading ATS.
3rd: He is reading ATS.

And Dracotic, which do your voices use?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Good question. Second and third seem to alternate.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Dracotic]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arm Of Geddon
Jack, You seem to have studied this area more. In most cases, do the voices speak in first, second, or third person?

1st: I am reading ATS.
2nd: You are reading ATS.
3rd: He is reading ATS.

And Dracotic, which do your voices use?

I had(I haven't seen him for over a year now, since he is hospitalized on the closed ward) a friend that have schizophrenia.

How he heard the voices depended on his mood. If he was depressed and not on medicine, he would hear the voices as his own.
Like: "I need to empty the medicin closet"

when he was in good mood but diden't take his medicin it was like:
"You need to empty the medicin closet"

If he was on medicin(anti psychotic btw) he knew that it wasen't his own voice in anyway and it was more like:
"He is emptying the medicin closet"

I know you asked for mainly for Dracotic but just wanted to give you feedback from what I have learned from my friend.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by cadric]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hmm, interesting, Cadric.

www.shamana.co.uk...

You may find this interesting folks....

DCP

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i am not feeling well, so i didn't real every post, so if someone said this i am sorry. In December 2006 Esquire, they talk about a link between schizophrenia and cats. I have the isue at home but here is a link (you can only read a tease if you are not a member.

www.keepmedia.com...

I sugest you go to your local library for the full article, because knowledge is power, and knowing is half the battle...yo joe.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
This is what I have to say.

My sister was diagnosed as a schitzophrenic 5 years ago. She heard voices for about 4 years prior to that, and then on the night of my 21st birthday she FINALLY had a psychotic episode. All hell broke loose.

She went to an institution for 9 months and got better through the use of anti psychotic medication. She now lives a SEMI normal life and has done for the last 5 years.

NOW- I have heard voices since I was 11 or 12. At first they were just the same as my usual thoughts, except they were louder.

When I started using Marijuana at age 17 they got LOUDER and LOUDER.

By the time I was 21 they were so loud I could hardly think any more. They whispered, screamed, laughed, scoffed, told jokes and basically took on a mind of their own. Then I started seeing things. Ghosts, aliens, you name it.

At age 23 I told my friends that I was Jesus and Satan rolled into one. That was when I went for help.

I saw a drug counsellor and got some meds for the voices.

They stopped.

I'm now 26, but because of Marijuana in my past and 2 knocks I sustained to the skull, I am now an Epileptic.

I only hear the voices and see the aliens before a seizure.

Enjoy your life.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by Unrealised]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think many of you might be interested in the theory of the bicameral mind. Developed by Julian Jaynes, it states that long ago, about 3000 years, men heard 'voices' describing them what to do, thus seeming to describe the odd behavior of characters in the iliad, old testament, and other older works. This was due to humans having language but not being yet fully conscious, meaning that the different sides of the brain were not in communication with eachother, giving the illusion that voices guided them. His theory is often compared to schizophrenia.

He has written several books, but for starters here is the website:

www.julianjaynes.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
At age 23 I told my friends that I was Jesus and Satan rolled into one.
[edit on 13-12-2006 by Unrealised]

Charles Manson thought the same thing..

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Charles Manson thought the same thing..

Yeah, but I hate Hippies

Seriously though, it is a really big problem in the world today.

Sometimes it's fun to imagine that it could be ghosts or aliens etc, but it SHOULD be checked out.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well, I don't know who is more screwed up sometime,Unrealized... The "sane" people or the so-called "insane." I mean really, look at the world we are living in.. Where is the sanity in "saneness?"

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Fantastic thread, I personaly have often wondered about this supposed disease.. i guess one thing highlighted from the intial post is the hostage premonition, I am just curious if Dracotic has had any since? Or anyone else on this post that may have been diagnosed aswell?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hmm, because of my disease I tend to think outside the box. I almost got into Mensa for that
. People I talk to (select few) seem to think it's a premonition. However it could be a event taking place at that time. So it wouldn't exactly be a premonition.

I have had premonitions though. Alot, actually. They come as hypnogoic (sp?) images while I go to bed.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That's another thing that I find peculiar about "mental illness," many of them tend to have very high IQs.. Of course, I have a couple of diagnosed "mental disorders".. I have been diagnosed with social phobia disorder (Anti-Social) and borderline personality disorder.

[edit on 13-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Nah cadric, any input is good. Trying to gain some information to maybe help Dracotic make some sense of it.

From what I can tell so far there may be multiple reasons or explanations for this. Here's my short list at the moment.

1. Early childhood psychosis leading to defensive tactics by the mind
2. Subconscious intuition made audible
3. Demons/Aliens (hey can't rule anything out)

Have to ask ya Dracotic, have you tried having conversations with them, asking questions that you know you don't know, gave a balancing statement for every statement from the voices, yelled at them (mentally of course), used logic on them, tried to trick them, or anything beyond just listening?

Of course, that may sound even more insane but if you do it from an anchor point of using logic and reason to try and learn what's really going on, you should be able to maintain without compromising your current stability.

In the end, it is going to be your own personal effort that helps you out in this.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I've never tried talking back because usually I've centered myself by then and they fade away. I've been on medication, haven't heard them in the past couple days. But even ON the medication I hear them just as much. It's almost like those placebo pills from Donnie Darko...lol, I swear they do nothing.

Also AOG, I got your u2u, thanks! I'm going to read the book as soon as I have time. Look forward to it.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have never been diagnosed with a mental illness, although as someone in recovery for twenty-three years, I've been accused of many moral failings. lol.

Schizophrenia is such a catch-all phrase for a variety mental illness. The science is still very much in its infancy. I find the pharmaceutical industry now - comparable to when butchers were surgeons.

Alcoholism/addiction is a moral failing until pharmaceuticals start to make money on the problem. But then it must be labeled something else in order to avoid a collision with the war on drugs and the scourge of co-dependancy.

Suddenly they're all depressed, OCD. or psychotic. In my experience none of the drugs prescribed to alcholics treat that problem. They may treat secondary problems, but they are not conducive to recovery from addiction.

Schizophrenia tends to center on auditory hallucination, from my understanding. Psychosis can be both functional and dysfunctional, allthough it is often interpreted as simply a complete break from reality.

What I've found in my experience is that alcoholism is the Great Imitator. It can produce symptoms of psychosis, manic depression, obsessive compulsion, depression and schizophrenia. Although the symptoms are transient with abstinence.

I've met a number of alcoholics who would prefer to be called crazy rather than give up drinking.

After experimenting with THC, I experienced transient pot psychosis.

Dr Bernard Favrat and colleagues, from the Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale in Switzerland, were conducting a clinical trial into the effects of orally administered delta-9-tetrahydrocannibol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis, when two of their male subjects experienced impaired psychomotor functions and severe anxiety typical of cannabis-induced psychosis.
www.sciencedaily.com...

The experience has left me with the highest respect for people living daily with schizophrenia and other forms of debilitating psychosis.

Having also experienced spiritual phenomena and a close encounter, I can say there is absolutely NO comparison between the two.

There are many things that can induce auditory hallucination, lack of sleep -being one of the most common, stress being the other.

I highly reccomend Omega 369 oils to anyone with difficult brain chemistry. As well as swearing off coffee, as the caffeine interferes with the dopamine receptors. A receptor that plays a part in psychotic hallucination, and the ability to learn new information.

I feel much of what is diagnosed as mental illness with all its resplendant labels is in fact substance abuse, sleeping disorders, lack of spiritual managment of stresses and living habits.

I do believe that the brain is an organ equipped to perceive reality beyond our five senses. The sixth sense being one of our most valued.

What some consider illness others have considered greatness. Autistic children of the ancient world were regarded as demi-gods.

That said following doctors orders does not preclude every possible avenue available through diet, exercise, therapy and self-honesty.

As far as your interpretation of your voices, if you are receiving messages that turn out to happen, it could be coincidence, or it could be voices from the bardo - the conclusion is entirely up to you.

Logic is the best way to ground your investigation into what your voices are, the most likely probability is probably the correct one.

Anyone with schizophrenic symptoms should not be using marijuana, it will exacerbate the brain chemistry and encourage the onset of the disease in those with a genetic pre-dilection.

Perhaps in a slower more insidious way than meth or alcohol creates psychotic breaks, but there nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Anyone with schizophrenic symptoms should not be using marijuana, it will exacerbate the brain chemistry and encourage the onset of the disease in those with a genetic pre-dilection.

Indeed. I've experimented with marijuana.....never again......though there's always that chance. Because of schizophrenia when I smoked it was like '___'. I left my body and almost killed myself jumping into a truck to "wake up from the dream". I was literally COMPLETELY psychotic for 3 days. I thought I would be permanently damaged. Scariest thing ever. Also when I smoke (I don't know if this is normal) I actually gain supernormal hearing....don't know what that's about. Does anyone know what's with that?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well, genuine spiritual/paranormal experiences and true mental illness are very very different matters, and share (a few) similar symptoms. The medical establishment, ofcourse will not know any difference.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Does anyone think that prophets, god men, etc. had schizophrenia?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dracotic
So my questions are. What is your view of schizophrenics and spirits idea? Also was there anything psychic about this?

Hi Drac,

I had a good friend for many years, we lost contact. But I still think of his wonderful personality. He had been schizophrenic all his life rather severely. But he managed to live on his own and have several books published.
He did receive medical and psychiatric treatment which enabled him to function fairly.

He was a wonderful person, his psychiatrist of many years, helped him to integrate the voices, feelings and visions/dreams.
He was very literate, very religious and I felt very close to God.
Though he hated being hypersensitive, because as he said " I would just like to be dull once and while"
We only met three times over period of ten years because he had a problem distinguishing him self from other, he melted together with them.
And women caused him great disturbance, I'm female.

So we wrote long letters, and occasionally had a phone call conversation.

I viewed him as a very gifted, compassionate person. I think, just a thought, schizophrenics lack the veil "normal" people have so they are overly exposed to to the environment on the spiritual level.
I now he would experience great pain and anxiety but also unimaginable joy. Similar to an innocent child.

When you ask if your incident was psychic, do you mean, was it a prediction? Perhaps but you probably tune in to a magnitude of events.
I know that could be very bothersome for my friend, he felt overwhelmed, and guilty all the time and could never sort the events.

I'm not a shrink so my advise and words are probably poor reading.
But I would try to relax with your reality, you can't change it much, so use it in a creative way. That worked for my friend. He told me that when he stopped fighting it his well being improved.

Good Luck Little One
WIS

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join