It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give it a Bash, the new Look

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I liked the old style better. It was easier to navigate.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I miss the list of most recent threads that was on the ATS page - always wondered why it wasn't on PTS/BTS - it seems to have gone. Will it be coming back?

Oh and the colour-scheme needs some work

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
you can't edit your avatar info in bts member center, if you where to say remove the avatar and hit edit it just goes back to what you had, but you could type any key into the field and it'd save that.

not really a big deal, just something I noticed.

fix bts chat link

ps: the chat room is gray and bland, darkmattah it!!!

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I feel like I'm at Black Vault.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

How does Fred feel about this?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Oh looked what popped up on the news today...coincidence?

Web Sites Fail To Reach People With Disabilities, UN-Backed Survey Shows
Only three of 100 Web sites tested met minimum accessibility standards for disabled people.

Nomensa said the tests revealed systemic weaknesses that make it difficult or impossible for businesses and governments to reach 600 million people with disabilities.

Ninety-eight percent of the Web sites didn't follow standards for programming code needed for strong foundations for accessibility, according to the survey. Ninety-seven percent used fixed measurements, which prevent people from changing text size or page size to meet their needs, the survey found. Ninety-three percent of the Web sites tested didn't provide adequate text descriptions of graphical content to help visually impaired people, according to Nomensa.

Seventy-eight percent used color combinations with poor contrast, which makes it difficult for people with color blindness to read information, according to the survey.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Redesign should take into consideration different users and eniviroments.

How about making the the old theme an option,
as in embracing the idea of freedom of choice?

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

He said something like "You expect me to swim in this?"

I don't know what he meant.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Also, I don't understand why the text color of custom titles changed and is no longer visible. I didn't change them, so I'm assuming that's part of the Black-Vaulting process.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

He said something like "You expect me to swim in this?"

I don't know what he meant.

Could mean brackish water. That means he's ready to spawn.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
One other thing: if links are in white, they vanish completely against the background of an external source quote.

I'm sure you folks'll get around to this one soon enough.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Web Sites Fail To Reach People With Disabilities, UN-Backed Survey Shows

The UN can't even decide that genocide is going on in Darfur or what to do about Iran's nuclear program, but they do have time to criticize the new ATS design

Anyway, It's looking a lot better than it did last night

I really like the different options for darkness/lightness (I'm taking my threads lighter) But to be honest, I still don't think I'm going to end up liking this dark theme (even after all tweaks are made) better than the previous layout. I thought that design was infinitely readable and one of the best color schemes on the web. The difference is most stark on the Today's Posts page, the bars of color with dark text of the previous design were much easier to scan over than the colored text of the current design.

[edit on 12/5/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I am amazed by the people who hear that this is an ongoing process, and then start the complaining right away.

Seriously, why not give it a couple weeks and see how things end up?

Various changes need to take place for a website the stretches over 4 servers in a totally live environment. It does take work you know...

Oh, and if any of the complainers would like to donate 4 servers with quad-xeon processors and the use of 24/7 support for a test site, then I'm sure we would be happy to work with you.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thank you for posting, Z3PO...now I see another thing to point out.

Z3PO's signature is shrunky-dunk and looks like a lot of yellow blobs that might say something.

And I agree the poster who said - it looks a lot better today...it's like more gray than Black Vault now. It's Gray Vault. I think it's growing on me, or sticking to me, or something like that. I'm okay with it...kind of.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Z3PO's signature is shrunky-dunk and looks like a lot of yellow blobs that might say something.

Of course on the "light" or "lighter" setting at the top, the my signature graphic looks perfect.

Seriously though...I created it to match with the particular colors from before. I'll change it fairly soon, I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I really like the different options for darkness/lightness (I'm taking my threads lighter)

[edit on 12/5/2006 by djohnsto77]

There's options? I want options. Please tell.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I still don't think I'm going to end up liking this dark theme (even after all tweaks are made) better than the previous layout. I thought that design was infinitely readable and one of the best color schemes on the web. The difference is most stark on the Today's Posts page, the bars of color with dark text of the previous design were much easier to scan over than the colored text of the current design.

I can tell you why colored text works that way for everyone including the deniers who think everything about the new design is great. It has to do with optics. In order to read text we first need to focus on the text - not the background. Different colors focus slightly differently from one another.

As you scan the Today's Posts page your eye constantly has to change the shape of the lens slightly to focus on red text then green text then red then blue. It is all very tiring for the eye.

Not only is it tiring to the eye, but it is actually slower to perform the scan than it would be with a single color of text on colored background. You have to pause on each line (unless there are multiple entries with the same color in a row) to give your eye the 100ms or so it needs to adjust focus.

Jon

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well and I am sure that this was just an error. The main home page loads way to the right. and if you move the bar over there isnt anything there.

I am sure its just a glitch that the powers that be will figure out.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Near the top of the page you should see the options: darkest dark light lightest

right after the > thingy

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel

I still don't think I'm going to end up liking this dark theme (even after all tweaks are made) better than the previous layout. I thought that design was infinitely readable and one of the best color schemes on the web. The difference is most stark on the Today's Posts page, the bars of color with dark text of the previous design were much easier to scan over than the colored text of the current design.

I can tell you why colored text works that way for everyone including the deniers who think everything about the new design is great. It has to do with optics. In order to read text we first need to focus on the text - not the background. Different colors focus slightly differently from one another.

As you scan the Today's Posts page your eye constantly has to change the shape of the lens slightly to focus on red text then green text then red then blue. It is all very tiring for the eye.

Not only is it tiring to the eye, but it is actually slower to perform the scan than it would be with a single color of text on colored background. You have to pause on each line (unless there are multiple entries with the same color in a row) to give your eye the 100ms or so it needs to adjust focus.

Jon

Thank you. I thought I had developed a learning disability at a mid-life age. Now I know I'm just normal, and this truly is painful. I'll continue to adjust my retinal-focusing muscles and see if this gets better.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yeah, what DJ said. At the top of the threads near the pages.

Dark to Light color options.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join