It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death: So What?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I get into these debates with myself over the concept of death. The question I like to ask myself the most is, why are most people afraid to die? Is it the fear of dying itself, or is it the fear of dying and leaving their loved ones behind?

In my view, I'm not afraid of dying at all. I see death as a process of life. Now, what I DO fear is the death of any of my family members. I fear the death of any of my family members so immensely that I would rather die before them, just so I don't have to see any of them pass away and go thru the pain of losing them. Is this feeling normal?

I also perceive death as terminal....following death there's just eternal darkness. Like going to sleep at night, except....it's forever. Now I'll say this jokingly, but I'd love to sleep forever, life is too much of a rush for me...between juggling jobs, paying bills, and running around stressed out....death seems like a comforting idea.

With these thoughts I've shared, does anyone else feel the same way I do...or am I just completely wack?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think what it is for alot of people is the simple fear of
ceasing to exist.

I use to be very afraind of that myself, to such an extent
that I actively did alot of research into life extension
technoloies, and who was developing them.

I'm not afraid of sying anymore, I mean 95% I don't
want to die, ever.

I want to stay alive as long as possible, but I would'nt
be willing to say sacrifice all life in the galaxy to stay
alive.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I agree on several of your points. Myself I am not afraid to die, but afraid for others of my family and loved ones to pass away before me though it is acceptable because everything that has a beginning has an end. I do believe in a sense that there is eternal darkness (sleeping forever) however it is important to live life to the fullest because every individual is crucial to make a difference. Suicide is not the answere because it does not solve anything but ones selfish angst for silencing his/her/its problems. The key to life is to survive and when the time comes death is the next frontier.

7A

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Oh man, I'm not contemplating suicide at all...no way. I'm just saying, life seems so full of struggle. I'm at that point in time of life where I'm just starting out with a career and not exactly sure of where it's going, so it's made me question a lot things about life in general. I'm just saying, if I were to die, whether it be tomorrow, in a few months, or like...60 years from now...I won't be afraid.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm also not afraid to die, and I absolutely agree with you that I hate the thought of those close to me passing away before I do; at the same point though I do not want to hurt those close to me in my passing; double edged sword I guess. I agree that a nice long/ eternal sleep sounds great, but I believe in Reincarnation so I guess I'm not that lucky.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I never have ever feared death, its not something I want to happen and I would enjoy to stay alive for a long time, it would be fun, but then again I dont want to be old and just unable to do anything, it has always been my feeling that if death is nothing, just absolutly nothing, whats the fear, theres nothing to fear, and if its something, like a heavan or some sort of afterlife, then hurray I get to go on in an afterlife, it doesnt matter much either way since theres NOTHING I can do about it, so why worry about it, just enjoy what you have got.

One of my friends was afraid of being forgotten, because once his family dies no one will rememmber him, so if you feel you are afraid if something like, I give you the advice I gave him.
"Go out with a bang and leave your mark"

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Perhaps it's just fear of the unknown. The downsides for me would be not wanting to cause any hurt to those left behind and having to leave things behind I like.
On the other side of the coin there are unfortunate people who would welcome death and are fighting for the right to do so.
In the end, we all have to do it and it seems a waste of time to fret much.
-Oh, no I don't believe it's unknowing inky darkness.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Welp; we all gotta die sometime, comforting thought.
That we are not alone in this.
So, yeah I worry sometimes, like the rest of you about people you know, dying before you, or even you before them, and how they would feel.
Life can be a struggle sometimes, and when you are dead you no longer have to deal with it anymore, so we can envy the dead for that, they found relief!

Is it going to be like before I was born, when I had no awareness of anything? Will some part of me really live on? Are ghosts dead people?
What about that?

When I am dead will all these questions be answered? Or will they just not even matter?

I don't KNOW enough! Would I be disappointed if I did know, or really glad?

Existential mind loops, I get those too.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have pondered on the same things a lot, because I see where you are coming from when you talk about life and it causes me to think, well the worst thing that can happen is _____. There is either something after life or not. If there is nothing, it can't hurt you cause it is nothing. If there is something, well then you'll be there.

Still I have to say I actually fear death. Why? Because there seems to be no turning back once it happens. It seems a pretty big leap to take (that everyone takes eventually), and you can't actually look before you do it.

I am not sure where my life is going, deep down, it doesn't seem that promising to me (according to family/friends expectations of me, in material ways). Don't feel like I'll ever live up to whatever they think I should, not sure I even want to. So I know what you mean about sleeping forever. I know that if I were to die, there would be people sad, even though death is natural and inevitable, whether I was a good person or not, they would be attached to me (when they don't truly know me). Not even in death, but in life, not being what they think I should they will want to feel sorry, and be sad when thinking of me. Just doesn't seem fair to be the cause of peoples pain at some time when it's inevitable and not a choice of your own.

Whew, that is self-centered, but I don't see the justice in the situation.

Seems death is drastic and unnecessary (If our existence is by some God's design), in the grand scheme of things, change happens slowly. Many people try to have a peaceful life and learn what they can, but death cannot be avoided, and I think that no matter who you are, it will be a pretty bumpy ride.

I hope that on my deathbed I am not afraid, but who knows. Think about how much it could have to do with your mood and attitude at the time, the way you take it. Shoot, it might have something to do with what you had for breakfast that morning!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Death is part of life.

When you die you return to the emptiness you came from.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I would have to admit that I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid of dying. How I will die, will it be scary? will it hurt? I am excited to see what's on the other side though. I still don't want to die for a long time though, haha.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The lucky ones die in their sleep, the fortunate ones don't know what hit 'im.
I'd hate to die slowly and painfully.
Would we want to know how it goes? It is not knowing how we meet the reaper that is worse than not knowing where or nowhere you are going (or not) after one is dead, because once that happens it's
a) better

b) worse

c) neither 'b' nor 'c'

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
In order to begin life you must die. Dying is another part of life, just like all animals and plants die. I believe many of the "truths" of death ly within the secretes of the pyramids.
The truth is in a 100 years from now we are all going to be dead, so I ask, what are you ready to build for OUR children.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by NonLinearBrandon]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
So basically most of you agree with her, and you don't really care if you die or not. You just don't want to have to see your friends or family die?

Think of it the other way around, they have to see YOU die. Either way there is going to be emotional pain and stress. I'm guessing that either way people are getting hurt exactly the same.

See me, I could care less. I know I have unfinished business and it would hurt me immensely (sp?) if I continued to carry on after death knowing I hadn't fullfilled my life, but at the same time I would get over it in an instant.

I believe in god and a heaven. That is what keeps me motivated. If my family or friends were being tortured, or if I actually had a chance at saving their life then I would go ahead and help them, but if their death was in it's best interest I wouldn't do anything. I don't believe in coincidences.

Death is a scary concept for most people, but it is part of life. One day you will die that is whats going to happen, you can't live forever. It's pretty possible for something to crash into my apartment right now and end my life. Thats fate.

I do agree with you though jeepin4x4girl I would also sacrifice my own life to save that of a friend, family member, or random person in need of help. You aren't wack, just your thought of a terminal death is.
I think thats being pretty pessimistic, you can never call yourself an optimistic person if you continue to think that. Whats so wrong about believing in bliss after death?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
The lucky ones die in their sleep, the fortunate ones don't know what hit 'im.
I'd hate to die slowly and painfully.
Would we want to know how it goes? It is not knowing how we meet the reaper that is worse than not knowing where or nowhere you are going (or not) after one is dead, because once that happens it's
a) better

b) worse

c) neither 'b' nor 'c'

D)? Play the hand one is dealt and get on with it.

I don't think we're meant to know. Some actually might but, that probably wasn't completely their choice either.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I think it's interesting to note that the fear of the unknown regarding what happens after we die is probably one of the major factors in what spawned earlier humans to form beliefs in an afterlife. The fear of death and the unknown is probably what sparked the motivation for gods, God, and religious beliefs in general. How ironic that so many people have lost their lives in the name of an idea that was formed on the foundation of fear of death.

I read an interview the other day with Larry King and one of the questions asked was about why he fears death so much. He referenced his heart attack, claimed he didn't see any light at the end of a tunnel or any such thing, and ended his comment with, "I know this is it." That spooked me a bit.

I think people are afraid of death, because as was said before, they are afraid of the unknown. That's why I'm afraid of it anyway.

[edit on 29/11/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
Death is part of life.

When you die you return to the emptiness you came from.

Unfortunately I believe what you said to be perhaps the truth.

I don't WANT to believe it but -- everything else just seems wishful thinking.

I wish for you and I to be incorrect that there's SOMETHING after we die. Hence I fear death like nothing else. The fear of the process of dying doesn't compare to the fear I feel when I think of this.

Peace,
- Naz

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to it. I've been looking forward to it for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was 6 (a long time ago) and I told my mom that I couldn't wait to be free of being here and to move on. Strange thing for a 6 year old to say, eh?

Seriously .... I'm not suicidal; I'm looking forward to what is next. Kinda like a kid waiting for Christmas and knowing that it's getting closer and closer .....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It's funny how death only bothers one when they're alive.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
"death is gotta be easy, cuz life is hard"-50 cent

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join