It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death: So What?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
My biggest fear is not existing, so naturally I am quite afraid of death. Sometimes I'm just sitting there and I think about it. What if it IS just black emptiness and not existing, forever? It kind of hits me like a wall, just thinking that it is quite a strong probability that it is the case. Kind of makes all of life seem futile because you are going to die anyway so nothing really matters, and on the other hand you want to live as long as possible just to be assured that you will still exist, at least for a little longer.

While I can understand where you are coming from in the second half of your post, I don't understand where you are coming from in the first half.

As I have already stated, I personally believe that our consciousness continues after death so it's somewhat of a moot point for me, but, let's assume that we no longer exist after death. So? It's not like you would know that you no longer exist, nor would you know that you ever existed at all. You'd just be a chunk of flesh in the ground without any awareness at all.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Don't be afraid, even God died.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I must admit I am a little afraid but I think its mainly due to if my death was painful I don't like that thought.

However I'm also a little afraid of the unknown I believe our sprits pass over to the otherside but i'm afraid of the unknown. What if i've done something bad in my life without realising and i am punished afterwards.

by the way I have no religious beliefs whatso ever so this isn't based on religion

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It's good to know I'm with the rest of you. (well most) I've always wanted to die first so I wouldn't have to bear the pain of losing someone close.

I just kept it to myself because I thought I was just a selfish bastard. Oh wait, I AM a selfish bastard but that doesn't change the death thing.

I have made sooooo many wrong turns in my life that the next one (if any) HAS to be better than this one. Or yes, a good loooong sleep would be good too.

Ridin

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Oblivion, a cessation of being...it could be worse, just imagine if you came to in heaven,
all those idiots in white robes, you look round and you're lugging round a dirty great useless pair of wings on your back. Every thing's white and fluffy, everybody smiles ALL THE TIME. People are playing harps for christ's sake. No beer just that ambrosia muck, no motorbikes, no hot girls, no good old British pub, you could'nt sit down in one with those wings anyway. All that cheesy music when you just know they're jammin' with Hendrix down in the pit, Kieth Moon's on the drums....you can't even kill yourself to end the cheesy blandness of it all, yup it could be a lot worse.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by tonyJ]

[edit on 29-11-2006 by tonyJ]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I can't say I don't fear death. I want to see what new would happen to the rest of the world and universe, until the end of it all. I know it's impossible. I won't spend valuable time and money to achieve that goal. Another part I fear is not leaving a good impact to those in my life before dying. Fearing the death of others hurt me too. Well, now I realize I'm scared of a lot of things lol. Good topic though.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My feeling is that there are two possibilities.

1) There is no afterlife, reincarnation, or any other perpetuation of consciousness/being beyond one's physical demise. If this is the case, then one has the choice of either a) living as though each day could be one's last, trying to do what one believes is right so that those who remain after one's death might inherit a good or better world, and living life to its fullest while it lasts, or b) living life as though nothing matters because birth is a terminal condition, and therefore compassion, love, etc. are just as irrelevant and temporary as existence. (I would try my best to choose option A over option B.)

2) There is some form of afterlife, whatever form it may take. Therefore, death is irrelevant and should not be dreaded or feared.

If #1 is true, then surely the fear of death only serves to detract from what precious, fragile time we have. If #2 is true, then death is no more of an ending than the setting of the sun. In either case, I see no rational reason to fear death.

The sorrow we feel when others die makes more sense to me, because it is an uncontrollable reaction to loss. That is to say that we can no sooner prevent the sorrow we experience at the loss of a loved one than we can resist the physical pain we would feel at the severing of a limb; it is the fear of the pain of a whole being torn into fragments, as opposed to the fear of a whole being removed in its entirety (thus remaining undamaged, whether it retains consciousness - or exists at all any longer - or not.)

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
My feeling is that there are two possibilities.

1) There is no afterlife, reincarnation, or any other perpetuation of consciousness/being beyond one's physical demise. If this is the case, then one has the choice of either a) living as though each day could be one's last, trying to do what one believes is right so that those who remain after one's death might inherit a good or better world, and living life to its fullest while it lasts, or b) living life as though nothing matters because birth is a terminal condition, and therefore compassion, love, etc. are just as irrelevant and temporary as existence. (I would try my best to choose option A over option B.)

2) There is some form of afterlife, whatever form it may take. Therefore, death is irrelevant and should not be dreaded or feared.

If #1 is true, then surely the fear of death only serves to detract from what precious, fragile time we have. If #2 is true, then death is no more of an ending than the setting of the sun. In either case, I see no rational reason to fear death.

The sorrow we feel when others die makes more sense to me, because it is an uncontrollable reaction to loss. That is to say that we can no sooner prevent the sorrow we experience at the loss of a loved one than we can resist the physical pain we would feel at the severing of a limb; it is the fear of the pain of a whole being torn into fragments, as opposed to the fear of a whole being removed in its entirety (thus remaining undamaged, whether it retains consciousness - or exists at all any longer - or not.)

But what if there's a hell? then we should fear death.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Well as a person that has had an NDE, I can say that I still have some fear. The otherside wasn't scary, but the actual giving up the "me" I knew on this planet was. No more eating, breathing, kissing, cars, sky, family, friends, computers, smells of cut grass, tastes of a doughnut, no more standing in line for movies, football,...all done. There is hope though because not only did "I" survive but the most noble part of me seem to come out. I still existed but it seemed to be a more purified version. I still "thought" like I think now, but I was more...almost a supreme self-confidence, not arrogance, but almost heroic inner strength without the ego to satisfy. It's like I was given back the real me and not the person that compromises on this planet to survive.

I won't bog down the thread with my personal experience because there is no way to say what I really experienced was the afterlife. But I will say I have had vivid dreams and hallucinations and it's not even in the same ball park. I closed my eyes and saw darkness, felt myself get lighter, lift, and then felt like my consciousness was being squeezed through from here to there. I was dead but I could think as clear and coherantly as you think at your most sober moments. Some say it's like walking through a door....well when your body is in pain and you're screaming...it's more like a birth where you are getting shoved through the door. I saw no tunnel of light or "heaven" but I did get to meet someone. I have no idea who or what "he" is or if "he" is part of me. But there was a little friendly opinon from him that I probably needed to hear.

The thing that scares me about death is that I don't want to hear I didn't fullfill my potential on this planet. That was the message I brought back. Don't "use" people and don't "use" yourself. Hard to illustrate what that means but it's almost like allowing your passion to be set free (not your addictions) and allowing the true happiness you can color this world with come out. Get up and go get it.

All right I'm done with the new age hippie talk.
As far as dying...for me it was a B--ch! No way around that, it was not fun and it hurt a lot. My first wonderful word into the afterlife happen to be another cuss word so I bet that didn't win me many favors (I'm sure I'm not the first). But that was 5 minutes of pain and there's no use worrying about it because the real you comes out on the otherside. I still get this feeling of despair when I think of the pain people go through when they are dying, but then I snap out of it and realize that it's temporary and the real person survives.

Sorry no psychic powers were endowed or secret knowledge, no soul collector on the moon, no aliens. I still screw up and my opinions are not alwyas right, but there is not one person on this planet that owns me (or you) and that is a truth. But that doesn't mean you own the road...others are trying to get there also. Drive safely.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If there's a hell, then there has to be a God - a fair, all loving God.

I'm sure deep down in all of us, we have some good, and I just can't see how an all loving God could throw us into an eternity of suffering. As long as we live a benevolent life, it doesn't matter if you worship Jesus or Buddha... you will be rewarded... Well, that's what I tell myself at least, to make death a bit more of a comforting topic.

Is this belief considered Agnostic? Universalist? I haven't found a correct label for my "belief."

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It's great reading thru all your perspectives on the concept of death, especially NDE's...which I've read up on quite a bit.

I'd like to further emphasize upon the fear of dying a painful death. In my experiences, I've been thru so much physical pain (medical conditions) that dying a painful death wouldn't be something for me to fear. I've also been through some extremely painful emotional/mental roller coasters throughout my short life that has caused me to really wonder if I would be better off dead. Dealing with the demon that is called depression definitely drains the life out of you and makes you question a lot of things, especially death. Now I have to repeat, this is not a suicidal thread or anything, just a general discussion thread I started about the topic of death and how people feel about it.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Not to sound crazy but , Some times i think about jumping off of a really high building with no parachute.

I just want to find out what is beyond death , I think there is a heaven and hell not in the religious sense .

" Hell " is for the non believers that there is some thing much bigger then earth and us , And then " Haven " is where all the people that BELIEVE and know inside they're selfs that there is some thing other then what we all think we know.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'm also curious about what's on the otherside, it's like i almost wan't to hurry to my death just to see whats on the otherside.

Sounds kind of crazy, but i'm a very curious person.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
There's no point in hurrying it if you know it's going to come someday anyway. You may as well live your life then get to find out what comes next later on.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My hamsters knew they were gonna die and their life span is only two years or so! Well they didn't bitch about it, neither will I.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It is only humans that have the fear of death. Animals will try to survive, but they do not dread death.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
]

[edit on 1-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt

Is this belief considered Agnostic? Universalist? I haven't found a correct label for my "belief."

It is universalism. The Quakers are universalistic,as well as I am.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There are obviously many nasty ways to end this life. A lot of slow pain inducing lingering deaths.

If anything I would fear that more than death itself.

Confronting death is easier for some by their belief that there is something afterwards. I see no proof either way for or against the afterlife.

There was a time with a delusional, spiritual dimension believing mind I thought maybe there was something more. Not convinced now.

I think too many people (I was one and to some extent still am I suppose) spend too much time in this life looking for answers as to whether or not there is more. While not grasping the life that we know exists here and now.

I am actually wasting the existence that I know or believe exists sitting here writing this nonsense.

I only have evidence of here and now. I have not tried death yet, so I dont know much about it. Can you fear what you have not experienced? I know most people fear change, change of job, change of partner....change of existence?

So I say death so what? Well as long as it aint too long and painful

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
There's no point in hurrying it if you know it's going to come someday anyway. You may as well live your life then get to find out what comes next later on.

This is true, good point malganis!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join