It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by intrepid
Are you NOW saying that Jews and Muslims stop shopping just because it's Christmas?

Nope. They'll just have to learn how to be TOLERANT of Christians celebrating a major holiday.

Oh, I'm seeing a lot of tollerance from some supposed Christians here.

I guess their HOLY days just don't matter then, right?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It has as much to do with Africa as Christmas has to do with Christ FF.

Is it so hard to believe?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

As far as I'm concerned it's all of you who are being intollerant of Christians having a big blow out holiday.

Where do you see this? I don't care how or what the Christians celebrate as long as they do me the same courtesy of allowing me and everyone else to celebrate however we see fit. But it seems you're not willing to do that.

There's a definate Christian message here of "We can't make everyone act like we want them to so we're being oppressed."

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
To the Jewish and Muslims, they ARE the reason for the season.

Not true. Jews have Hannaka (spelling?) and they have their own decorations and such. And I already asked the question that no one answered ... do Muslims have a holiday during Advent and do they give gifts on a major scale for it? No one answered.

Are you claiming the whole season of Christmas for the Christians now?

Look at what you just wrote...the whole season of CHRISTmas for Christians. OF COURSE! CHRISTmas is CHRISTian.

No one else is allowed to celebrate anything during the "season"? November and December now belong to the Christians?

You stretched out the Christmas season a bit. Advent is the Christmas season and it lasts about 3 or 4 weeks - not two months.

FACE IT .. the real drive behind all the gift giving and all the hooopla is CHRISTMAS.

And back to the original point of this thread - since the real drive behind the season is Christmas then Best Buy should NOT be banning the term 'Merry Christmas'.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
FF,
Your posts are illogical, hypocritical, and rely on selfish, intollerant views.

Bad form
[edit on 29-11-2006 by Rasobasi420]

He's not being politically correct is what you are saying. Are you a liberal Ras?

Although FF may be a bit strong in his words I see none of your description in them. I am going to look up the roots of Kwanzaa myself.

OK then! I'll be back when I get the scoop!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Oh, I'm seeing a lot of tollerance from some supposed Christians here.

HA! Don't even try that. I'm the bad one because I'm not tollerating Best Buy not allowing people to say 'Merry Christmas' when Christmas is the reason for the season???? yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I guess their HOLY days just don't matter then, right?

Not to me. Christmas is MY holy day. Guess eveyrone else will just have to tolerate that and allow Best Buy to say 'Merry Christmas'

[edit on 11/29/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It has as much to do with Africa as Christmas has to do with Christ FF.
Is it so hard to believe?

You said it Raso .... 'believe'.

I fully believe Christ is real. MY celebration of Christmas is celebration of the birth of CHRIST.

Kwanza is easily debunked as non-african.

You asked .. is it so hard to believe? My answer - yes. Because I believe in Christ.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
He's not being politically correct is what you are saying.

Yep .. it's only cool to be tolerant of non-christian things. When non-christians are called upon to be tolerant of Christian things it seems that 'tolerance' goes out the window. They can't tolerate 'Merry Christmas' being spoken in the stores as people buy their Christmas gifts. (and yes, almost all of them are in the stores to buy CHRISTMAS gifts)

FF may be a bit strong in his words ...

HER words.
And I became strongly spoken from my Army years.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Look at what you just wrote...the whole season of CHRISTmas for Christians. OF COURSE! CHRISTmas is CHRISTian.

And Kwanzaa means first fruits in Swahili, which must mean that it's African right?

Edit: I know the origin of Kwanzaa isn't African, just as the origins of Christmas aren't Christian.

And BTW, the founder of Kwanzaa was not a murderer. Get your facts trait before making such extreme claims please.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   

BTW, the founder of Kwanzaa was not a murderer.

He tortured women and called for gang hits. He's a murderer.
www.textbookleague.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Other sources? Is he valid?

Ron Karange, founder of Kwanzaa

Karenga was born on a poultry farm in Parsonsburg, Maryland, the 14th child of a Baptist minister. He moved to California in the late 1950s to attend Los Angeles City College, where he became the first African-American president of the student body. He was admitted to University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) as part of a federal program for students who had dropped out of high school, and received his master's degree in political science and Africana studies. Karenga holds two doctorate degrees (Ph.D.). He was awarded the first in 1976 from United States International University (now known as Alliant International University) for a 170-page dissertation entitled Afro-American Nationalism: Social Strategy and Struggle for Community. Later in his career, in 1994, he was awarded a second Ph.D., from the University of Southern California (USC), for an 803-page dissertation entitled "Maat, the moral ideal in ancient Egypt: A study in classical African ethics."

Ze Wiki

Also

Karenga created the United Slaves, a Black Nationalist organization in 1965, and in 1971 was convicted of felony assault of two of the group's female members, for which he spent time in prison. After his release in 1975, he resumed his academic studies, later becoming chairman of the black studies department at California State University, Long Beach, a position he held from 1989 to 2002.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OK, what I found was that this guy Maulana Karenga has a pretty sordid history and was convicted of felony assault and torturing two women. The psychiatrist at his trial said he was "paranoid and schizophrenic with hallucinations and illusions, inappropriate affect, disorganization, and impaired contact with the environment."

He did start Kwanzaa.

Swahili is a widespread language of Africa.

I don't know that I would be following anything started by that guy and I'm sure that many African Americans probably don't know his history.

I thought Kwanzaa was not a holiday but a celebration?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Since this thread just keeps going, I'll put my two cents in....

I have no problem with Best Buy using Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Tolerance and inclusion is what Christianity is supposed to be about.

This thread, on the other hand, is actually embarrassing to me as a Christian and this kind of thing is why I'm loath to actually admit or discuss my religious beliefs on ATS.

Please people, don't think all Christians believe everything has to be about them. Some of us still remember what it was Christ was actually teaching.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Does it matter who started the celebration? After all, isn't it the meaning of the celebration itself? And he did more with his life after these issues came about.

Besides, this doesn't change the fact that it was started for the same reasons that Christmas was.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Here's what I'd like. I'd like Best Buy to have the items they advertise as on sale to be in stock. I'd like to be able to find some competent sales help to assist when I have a question, without having to shout into the back room to find someone. I'd like to be able to get the product home and find out it functions the way it was supposed to. When the inevitable problem arises and I have to take something back, I'd like them to have someone available to assist that doesn't treat me like a convicted felon for returning something, or keep me waiting 30 minutes in a line while the employee yaks on his/her cell phone on a personal call.

I don't care what they say, I care what they do. A phony, forced "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or any other salutation from a retail outlet that can't provide competent service just makes me want to kneel on somebody's wind pipe.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Agreed Yeahright.
It's a freaking electronics store. Does it matter what holiday the celebrate? (unless it comes to discounts) It doesn't effect anything in regards to what they do.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Tolerance and inclusion is what Christianity is supposed to be about.

No it's not. Christianity is supposed to be about saving souls ... not 'toleration'.

Does it matter what holiday the celebrate?

I'd rather they didnt' 'celebrate' anything. Either get it right or don't do anything .. and since they can't get it right they should not do anything at all.

this doesn't change the fact that it was started for the same reasons that Christmas was.

To sell greeting cards?

Christianity is a religion and it is about saving souls.
Kwanza is allegedly about being an African person living in America.

They aren't even close.

MY FINAL WORDS -

I find it funny, and sad, that people point fingers and say 'oh how intollerant' when Christians get upset over the words 'Merry Christmas' being banned.

The fact is that whoever banned those words are the ones being intollerant. They can't tolerate the words Merry Christmas being spoken when in fact most everyone in the stores buying up stuff are doing so because they are celebrating Christmas.

Side note - I also find it funny that people on the left scream 'intollerant' at others like it's an insulting cuss word or something. Seems many on the left think it's about the biggest insult one person can say to another. I find that amusing.

Originally posted by yeahright
A phony, forced "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or any other salutation from a retail outlet .....

The worst is going out to eat for your birthday and having the strangers who serve you dinner all sing happy birthday to you and clap your hands. It's insulting. Theya re being paid to sing to you and you know they don't give a hoot! THAT is the worst!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

HA! Don't even try that. I'm the bad one because I'm not tollerating Best Buy not allowing people to say 'Merry Christmas' when Christmas is the reason for the season???? yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Not to me. Christmas is MY holy day. Guess eveyrone else will just have to tolerate that and allow Best Buy to say 'Merry Christmas'

Best Buy is telling their customers to have a good/merry/happy/nice christmas ... by saying "Happy Holidays" they are including Christmas, New Years, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, etc, etc.

I've always been amazed how a group of people can get offended at a total stranger telling them to have a happy holiday. Christmas may be YOUR holy day but it's not everyone else's.

I celebrate xmas but (for me) it has nothing to do with Christ or anything remotely religious. For me it is a reason for family to get together and enjoy each others company and since it's my son's birthday we'd be getting together anyways. Plus it's carrying on family traditions of gathering on this day.

What does shopping at Best Buy have to do with a Christian-centric Christmas? Does the bible have references to shopping at major retailers and buying dead trees in support of Christ??

I still get a kick out of the fact that the basic root issue here is that a group (suprising large at that) is upset that someone is telling them to have a good christmas/new years. Who really cares abot the wording? Around here we have a pretty multi-cultural area and not everyone celebrates this particular day. I'm glad Best Buy is catering to their entire customer base (as any good retailer should).

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The worst is going out to eat for your birthday and having the strangers who serve you dinner all sing happy birthday to you and clap your hands. It's insulting. Theya re being paid to sing to you and you know they don't give a hoot! THAT is the worst!!!!!!!

I agree. Ever go to a restaurant where the overly-familiar server sits down at your table to take your order? "Hi, I'm Mindy and I'll be your server this evening. 'Scuse me a minute, I'm gonna sit down, my feet are killin' me... blahblahblah..."

Intolerance? I got a bucketload of it. Most days I'm able to suppress it into a black tarry ball that settles in my lower abdomen where one day it'll surely burst and kill me and everyone in a 50' radius.

Happy Holidays.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

No it's not. Christianity is supposed to be about saving souls ... not 'toleration'.

Christianity is about following the teachings of Christ. Christ taught tolerance and inclusion. That was the message we were supposed to get from him. If I wanted to ignore the New Testament, I would convert to Judaism.

If I were to convert to Judaism, I wouldn't celebrate Christmas.

I'm so sick of this left/right crap. Isn't that supposed to stay on PTS?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join