It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm with you Ly. I'm finding this extremely amusing. BB wants to include all of the religious holidays and some Christians, and I'm using that term loosely, are barking because it can't be exclusive. How Christ-like.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This topic is not intended to give some a forum to ridicule other's religious beliefs. It is meant to raise awareness of the increasing secularization of our society. These company's polices are not one of inclusion - they are meant to exclude Christian expression of the holiday. As I said, there has been no comparable policy made for Islam, Judaism, or any other religion.

Soon there will be, as in past years, instances of banning the nativity scene while allowing the star and crescent or menorah. We will be fed the same tired lie that such symbols are not religious, but secular.

So, please, let's leave the personal sniping out of it when people try to verify the story. And let's stop with the ridiculing of what to some is the holiest season of the year.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
This topic is not intended to give some a forum to ridicule other's religious beliefs. It is meant to raise awareness of the increasing secularization of our society. These company's polices are not one of inclusion - they are meant to exclude Christian expression of the holiday. As I said, there has been no comparable policy made for Islam, Judaism, or any other religion.

WRONG. It's including ALL holy days. I don't see any Jews complaining that they don't have an exclusive Hannukah, Muslims and exclusive Rammadan, etc.. only Christians. :shk:

So, please, let's leave the personal sniping out of it when people try to verify the story. And let's stop with the ridiculing of what to some is the holiest season of the year.

BINGO! But christains don't have exclusivity on the holidays. I'm hoping the personal sniping stops. Then again, who is that that's doing it?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The thing is, being the majority, Christians have the privilege to take certain things like this for granted. Who, may I ask is excluded when you say only Merry Christmas? Who is excluded when you say Happy Holidays?

Since you've already indicated Christianity is, would you care to further explain how this phrase means to exclude christian expression of the holiday? Are you then admitted, by the same logic, that up to this point, the expression of other peoples' holidays have been excluded by using Merry Christmas?

So, why is that alright? Oh! Because you're Christian and included and represented.

gotcha.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Your right christmas to some the holiest season of the year. To others it's more of a societal mandatory shopping obligation. There are still more who celebrate Kwanza, Hanukkah and other related holidays/celebrations around this same time of year.

As a privately owned business, one that caters to many cultures and people, I understand a companies using the phrase Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas ... it catches all their customers and not just the Christmas celebrating folk. As a business you want to appeal to your entire customer base.

That said, the conservative Christians have put so much pressure on some of these stores last year that they have caved in and went back to Merry Xmas or using both that and Happy Holidays in store displays. Of course Walmart will gave in their primary customer is in the MidWest and the bible belt ... both very strong religious areas.

Would you be offended if an employee wished you a Happy Kwanza as you shopped at the store? Last time I checked christmas in the biblical sense was not about buying gifts for family and friends, cutting down a tree and shoving it in your house or santa clause ... but I guess those traditions are okay??

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
When these companies start to issue the same policies about Hannukah and Ramadan, then I will consider the "inclusionary" aspect. Till then, they made a policy that is definitely exclusionary.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

BINGO! But christains don't have exclusivity on the holidays. I'm hoping the personal sniping stops. Then again, who is that that's doing it?

You might ask Rasobasi, for starters.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

When these companies start to issue the same policies about Hannukah and Ramadan, then I will consider the "inclusionary" aspect. Till then, they made a policy that is definitely exclusionary.

So YOU are saying that Christmas isn't a holiday at this time of year?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I don't go to predominantly Jewish country and get angered if someone says happy hannukah, in fact I would appriciate it, though I do not celebrate hannukah. I am a Christian, but no way am I defending Christians. It just seems logical that this nation was developed as a Christian nation, and I don't believe we should deny any other religious group their freedoms, but if they wan't to live in a nation that the "majority is Christian", they should simply accept the fact that we're going to celebrate Christmas.

I wouldn't go to Iran and expect them to change their political policies for me. Why should America.

This all just sounds like rediculous plea from a pathetic person(s) because they hate their country, and hate Christians. That or they wan't money?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Guys and gals, listen. I can understand the pressure you feel from thinking that one of your most holy days has been excluded by a retailer, but you have to see that Best Buy has not taken "Christmas" out of their store. They have included other holidays along with Christmas.

Jews and Muslims don't even get any decorations placed in Best Buy for their holidays, and yet for Christians, it's everywhere. This isn't a matter of exclusion, but greed. Why shouldn't Best Buy also be considerate to other faiths, and not only Christians? Do Christians have to have the entire store only for themselves? I do not want to anger anyone, but look at what greed is doing to Christians during Christmas. Would Jesus advocate the materialism that runs rampant during Christmas, or would he cherish the thought of togetherness and love for your neighbor and fellow man during this time of year?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Forget it. It was said better above this post.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
This isn't a matter of exclusion, but greed. Why shouldn't Best Buy also be considerate to other faiths, and not only Christians? Do Christians have to have the entire store only for themselves? I do not want to anger anyone, but look at what greed is doing to Christians during Christmas. Would Jesus advocate the materialism that runs rampant during Christmas, or would he cherish the thought of togetherness and love for your neighbor and fellow man during this time of year?

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!

You have voted DJMessiah for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Imagine if all of this hubub was focused toward something constructive rather than arguing the phrasing semantics of a SERIES of holidays.
Somehow I HIGHLY doubt that an employee of Best Buy would be reprimanded for saying Merry Christmas. Again, the only thing I saw in the article was related to ADVERTISING - and that was the main link, the other sources were less than balanced.....
Do we have any employees of Best Buy that post here? I am highly skeptical of the supposed phone call that took place between one of our posters and the CS rep at BB.....

Again, the whole thing is absurd. It is like a group of childeren that cant get their way. Didn't everyone learn that we have to share???

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't believe Christians are angry because of anything to do with money. I think it's the simple fact that they grew up with "happy Christmas" and now a bunch of people are trying to take away that from them. Either way it's a completely silly topic, but it's just another example to Christians that the world is being lead astray. And also, to Christians, you're taking Christ out of Christmas. That's why I think people think it's a bigger deal than it is.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Christmas is still there. Best Buy is not leading an anti-Christian crusade to destroy Christmas. Just to note, I called the Best Buy in Duluth, GA and spoke to both the manager and guest service, and both said that employees will not be punished for saying "Merry Christmas."

The store's info is:
Gwinnett GA (Store 504)
1875 Pleasant Hill Rd
Duluth, GA 30096-4651
Phone: 770-381-9494

Untill they start promoting "Satanmas," "Vishnumas," or "Mosesmas," there's no reason to think they're taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas." Christmas will still go on despite what religions Best Buy also includes in its holiday greetings.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i think i am going to go to every store that is banning this term with a few friends and start singing "We wish you a Merry Christmas".....

This is just hilarious...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Would Jesus advocate the materialism that runs rampant during Christmas, or would he cherish the thought of togetherness and love for your neighbor and fellow man during this time of year?

Besides a few gifts in my life...really the best times I remember are always the fun you have with your family and friends at this time of year. Playing cards, Monopoly, sleding, skiing, or decorating the house. All that was what was really fun. Of course as a kid you usually get 2 weeks off from school so that was probably the best gift.

I see on CNN that Best Buy is getting some more bad PR about a jar of pasta found in a sealed digital camera box. There's a video link with a couple describing what happened, they didn't seem too happy with Best Buy. God is angry...ha.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Well I heard on the local radio here, our BestBuy will not ban employees from using the "Marry Christmas" greeting and farewell. Does this mean it is only banned from advertisements?

7A

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I see people here are confusing not using Merry Christmas for "banning" it.

To ban "Merry Christmas" would mean that using the phrase is scrictly forbidden and would result in punishment or discipline. From Websters Dictionary, Ban: "to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of ."

What I see here is not the banning of "Merry Christmas," but rather incorporation of other holidays to their greeting. Instead of having to use only "Merry Christmas" to cater to one group, they're now using "Happy Holidays" to cater to other beliefs as well. In no way is this a ban. Best Buy employees can still say "Merry Christmas," to any individual or group celebrating it, when you greet them with it, so they know you're celebrating it.

jsobecky, you posted your conversation with Best Buy, and there are some here who are calling your conversation to question. Can you please post the numbers to the Best Buy you called, so we can confirm it for ourselves?

[edit on 29-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
Do we have any employees of Best Buy that post here? I am highly skeptical of the supposed phone call that took place between one of our posters and the CS rep at BB.....

What, do you think I made that up? I will gladly supply you with the telephone number of the store I called.

Edit to add: It's obvious that you did not ask the same question(s) that I did of Best Buy.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
Imagine if all of this hubub was focused toward something constructive rather than arguing the phrasing semantics of a SERIES of holidays.

And isn't the government happy that people are all wrapped up (once again) in the importance of the supposed War of Christmas again this year!
They fall for it every year! And what a great way to keep their minds off the war in Iraq and the really important issues of our government and the rest of the world. When they can get the people to concentrate and focus of issues such as these (along with abortion, gay marriage and stem cell research, etc.) they forget all about our countrymen and those of Iraq dying EVERY DAY...

That's all this is. A WEDGE issue to drive a wedge between the conservative and liberal people and keep them focused on trivial issues. Well done!

Somehow I HIGHLY doubt that an employee of Best Buy would be reprimanded for saying Merry Christmas. Again, the only thing I saw in the article was related to ADVERTISING - and that was the main link, the other sources were less than balanced.....

I totally agree with you here. But the people in this thread who need the War on Christmas to be real also need to read between the lines and make this a real war.... They have to fight for Christmas. Saying "Happy Holidays" makes baby Jesus cry.

I am highly skeptical of the supposed phone call that took place between one of our posters and the CS rep at BB.....

I am not skeptical of this poster's words. Although we disagree on this issue (and most issues, actually), jsobecky is reliable, honest and has integrity. In my experience over the last couple of years with him, he would not lie.

However, I don't doubt that he got hold of an employee whose mouth was full of sour grapes. It was probably someone who either misunderstands the rules or has an agenda. The conversation stinks of agenda.

Didn't everyone learn that we have to share???

Apparently not. This is their holiday and they will not only celebrate it how they see fit, they will tell everyone else how to celebrate it and why, as well. It's a major control issue from this vantage point. Fortunately, they don't actually have the power to make everyone bend to their desires. So they can scream about it all they want.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join