It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
yeahright, I had the same discussion with my husband. It's hilarious how the major complaint here seems to be that the manner of gross commercialization isn't showing proper respect for the sacred occasion of Christ's birth...

That makes my head hurt!

Yoyus Yuletides.

I don't know if I should be offended or not...

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Not. Or you know. Whatever.

I'm surprised no one has brought the vast conspiratorial component into this discussion regarding the "group" that controls virtually all the retail business in this country and the fact that particular "group" which reaps the largest benefit from holiday shopping doesn't recognize Christmas as a holiday (holy day) at all, and as individuals never buy retail!!!

>tongue inserted firmly in cheek for above<

Cheerful Chanukah

[Edit for typo. I've given up on clarity.]

[edit on 11/30/2006 by yeahright]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Yoyus Yuletides.

Well, I for one am angered by this. You took out the "J" in "joyus. "J' being the first letter in the Lords name. How could you?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Strictly for alliterative purposes. It's called "poetic license". Besides, in "Jesus'" day, there was no "J". It was "Yeshua". With a "Y". So

Happy Festivus.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So, exactly what is so offensive about "Happy Holidays"? Why would the choice of seasonal greeting dictate where one would shop?

I'm not Jewish, but I certainly don't get offended when someone says "Happy Hanuka".

Decidedly, the most appalling aspect of this "situation", is that it's apparently "news" worthy. Wait, scratch that, the most appalling aspect of it is actually the fact that it has earned 13 pages on ATS (perhaps the fact that I replied is even more appalling).

(Mod edit: Removed last paragraph. Please see this. --Majic)

[edit on 11/30/2006 by Majic]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Seasoned Greetings

Just a friendly reminder from Santa Majic: Courtesy Is Mandatory.

I know who's been naughty and who's been nice.

Let's please try to be nice.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally quoted by jsobecky
Well, guess what? I choose to be offended by the words Happy Holidays. Why? I don't need a reason, but if you want one, it's JUST BECAUSE.

originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, it's ok for you to be offended by Happy Holidays "just because", but it's NOT ok for anyone to be offended by Merry Christmas? I'm surprised you don't see the double standard there and are not embarrassed to be operating under it...

Nope. I'm just going along to get along. And taking the premise to it's logical conclusion.

I want the "offensive" clause to be all-inclusive. Why stop half-way, with Merry Christmas?

Saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" is like saying "I wish you joy and happiness"! instead of the more specific "Happy Anniversary" to a couple celebrating their anniversary.

It's more like Hallmark saying "We're going to remove Happy Anniversary from all of our cards".

originally posted by jsobecky
This thread has taken the predictable turn into the accusation that Christians want to keep the holiday to themselves. They have even been accused of being intolerant.

originally posted by intrepid
So, you got the reaction you were looking for when you posted this topic then?

No, I just stated the predictably obvious. But I still have hope, occassionally.

Nativity scenes are banned, prayer moment is banned, some want the words Under God out of the Pledge of Allegiance, flight attendants cannot wear a visible cross around their neck etc. etc.

None of which has anything to do with this topic, just an excuse to rant imo.

Look at the bigger picture. Christianity is not tolerated by many in this nation; those are further examples of it.

And I never need an excuse to rant.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Look at the bigger picture. Christianity is not tolerated by many in this nation; those are further examples of it.

And I never need an excuse to rant.

No, Christianity is tolerated just fine - the majority of the US is Christian as so many have pointed out in this thread, right? The point is that there are other people here than just Christians. They contribute just as much as you do. They work. Pay taxes. Contribute to the economy. Just like you.

What isn't tolerated, is when the Christian idea of morality or ethics is force fed in every aspect of our society. Christmas for you is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ - hooray for you, I am happy for you. Christmas for me is about fellowship, giving, and acceptance. (the booze and food aint to shabby neither
) Any time a group of people make any kind of effort to do something that isn't christian, people are in an uproar that Christians are under attack. This thread is a perfect example. I will ask again as this question hasn't been answered. WHERE does it say that the words Merry Christmas were banned???? That was the title you gave this thread, and I have yet to see proof of this. Do you honestly care that they print the words happy holidays in their ads instead of Merry Christmas? Are you that insecure with your own religion? I honestly am baffled by the Christian response on SO many things. You might find life a bit easier and more accepting from non christians if you just lived your life as you see fit, while at the same time letting others lead theirs.

We all live in this sandbox together, you have to learn to share with the other childeren and accept them - even the ones that dress differently than you.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Maybe then they will realize what actually matters about this season ...

CHRIST is what matters most. But He has been forgotten even though it's HIS birthday party. What kind of people go to a birthday party and forget the fella having the birthday?

The kind that go and say .. hey, it's just a birthday party and we all can celebrate even though we refuse to acknowledge the fella whos' birthday it is.

Would any of you dare to

1 - crash a birthday party
2 - then ignore the person who the celebration was for
3 - not bring a gift to Him
4 - but have the gall to help yourself to his birthday cake?

That's what anyone does who says 'Happy Holiday' instead of 'Merry Christmas'. It's pretty darn rude to the fella having the birthday. Bad manners!

And no one bother telling me that it's not really the date of His birthday. That doesn't matter. What matters is that His birthday is being celebrated on that day.

[edit on 11/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

I totally agree! It is Jesus Christ's birthday celebration! To leave Christ out of Christmas is extremely rude and is totally nuts! I hope you all have a very Merry CHRISTmas!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Its funny how all the people who are offended by Christmas dont give up the public
holidays that are given so people CAN celebrate the Christmas period with family and loved ones.
If you dont believe in Christmas and find it offensive, you should find the day off work offensive and the bonus money if you do work on Christmas day offensive too.
We all know you will do the right thing and donate it to charity or something equally
as worthy right?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

If you insist everyone celebrate Christmas the way you see fit and for the 'right' reason, then let's talk around Halloween of next year...

The second anyone attempts to make Halloween a holiday spent in the daylight and starts incorporating tie die bats along with rainbow vampires is the second that I go to arms for the sanctity of a holiday....

Enjoy your December, everyone....

[edit on 30-11-2006 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 30-11-2006 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueangel7
To leave Christ out of Christmas is extremely rude and is totally nuts!

That's an opinion, certainly. I happen to think that to celebrate Christmas as Christ's birthday is totally nuts.

Originally posted by Flighty
Its funny how all the people who are offended by Christmas...

There are so few people who have indicated that they find Christmas offensive. Maybe one in this thread... The people who are being offended here are the ones who are offended at Happy Holidays.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Its funny how all the people who are offended by Christmas dont give up the public
holidays that are given so people CAN celebrate the Christmas period with family and loved ones.
If you dont believe in Christmas and find it offensive, you should find the day off work offensive and the bonus money if you do work on Christmas day offensive too.
We all know you will do the right thing and donate it to charity or something equally
as worthy right?

I neither get the day off from work nor do I get "bonus" money for working on that holiday. I either get lucky and have that day off ecause it falls on one of my regular days off or if I have to work that day then I probably have overtime because someone else is on vacation.

It's not Christmas that people find offensive ... for some reason it's a minority of christians that get offended at being told Happy Holidays. I think the only day we should expect retailers to say Merry Christmas is on the 25th of Dec ... so if you're in Best Buy on that day and say happy holidays then go ahead and be offended. Otherwise it's not technically xmas so why care???

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
OK, The Star put this in good perspective today:

"We should ban political correctness, not the Christmas tree," said Farzana Hassan, president of the Muslim Canadian Congress.

"This is stupidity and takes political correctness to new heights."

Their comments were echoed by Rabbi Mendel Kaplan of Thornhill's Chabad@Flamingo Jewish community centre, who called the removal a "terrible thing."

"Our society guarantees freedom of religion, not freedom from religion," he said, adding it's ironic that the government funds Catholic schools, yet a court official opposed a Christmas tree.

Celebrating religious diversity in Canada adds to the richness of this country, said Gurmeet Singh of the Nanaksar Satsang Sabha of Ontario, a non-profit Sikh charity. "I don't think Christmas trees are offensive at my home we have a Christmas tree and lights," said Singh. "This is a multicultural society, and at school my kids celebrate Diwali, Eid, Hanukkah and Christmas."

In 2002, Toronto bureaucrats were caught red-faced when they dubbed the giant tree in Nathan Phillips Square a "holiday tree." Then-mayor Mel Lastman, who is Jewish, ordered staff to restore the Christmas tree moniker and introduced a bylaw that prohibits the tree from being given any other name.

Source

It's the bureaucrats and policy makers that are making these stupid decisions. Looks to me that there is a LOT of tollerance by other religions for Christmas.

[edit on 15-12-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The site is looking very attractively.It drags the attention of every visitor. Best Buy is sometimes called the "big blue box" because of the prominent design on Best Buy stores. As per my knowledge, I know that Accenture supports Best Buy in its journey towards High Performance through its Customer Centricity strategy.
**********************************************************************************

pruepraizy
Cash Surveys

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join