It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
You might ask Rasobasi, for starters.

jso,
The meaning of that post was to point out what the holiday season is supposed to be about, whatever you're religion. It's the beginning of a new year. The days get longer, and we come out of the darkness. This means that we forget about old grudges, and stop sweating the little stuff.

It means we stop thinking about ways to get back at people. Calling BB and telling them that you are goingto punish them by shopping somewhere else is not really in the holiday spirit is all I was saying.

I'm sorry if you took it as a personal attack

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Rasobasi420, you are absolutely right. It isnt so much of a personal attack on the person but if you want to call BB that's your preogative. I think people going crazy over a holiday is ridiculous and stupid, I am an atheist,

Some people are far too paranoid.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
What, do you think I made that up? I will gladly supply you with the telephone number of the store I called.

Edit to add: It's obvious that you did not ask the same question(s) that I did of Best Buy.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by jsobecky]

First off, let me rephrase as I see how this was taken wrong. I am skeptical of the reliability of the information given to you by a Best Buy employee. I am not accusing you of making a false post.

Second, the idea that a store would BAN their EMPLOYEES from saying it is absurd and I cannot believe that is the case. Nothing is BANNED, in fact the ONLY place that word is used is in this title's thread - which I think is biased. They are choosing to use a different phrase to include everyone. Why is that so hard to accept?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
Second, the idea that a store would BAN their EMPLOYEES from saying it is absurd and I cannot believe that is the case. Nothing is BANNED, in fact the ONLY place that word is used is in this title's thread - which I think is biased. They are choosing to use a different phrase to include everyone. Why is that so hard to accept?

I agree.

The article is quite clear that Merry Christmas will not be used in print advertising, not that employees will are banned from using it.

Once again, why all the fuss? It's not like it's being replaced by Happy Hannukah and Happy Kwanzaa.

It's being replaced by something that is inclusive of, and therefore respectful of, all celebrations that are taking place during this time of year. It is not excluding anything, it only feels that way because Christians who celebrate Christmas have always been catered to, when the celebrations of others, which are a good many, have been omitted and/or ignored.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Originally posted by LogansRun

I agree.

The article is quite clear that Merry Christmas will not be used in print advertising, not that employees will are banned from using it.

Once again, why all the fuss? It's not like it's being replaced by Happy Hannukah and Happy Kwanzaa.

It's being replaced by something that is inclusive of, and therefore respectful of, all celebrations that are taking place during this time of year. It is not excluding anything, it only feels that way because Christians who celebrate Christmas have always been catered to, when the celebrations of others, which are a good many, have been omitted and/or ignored.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by parrhesia]

I agree with this post. Parrhesia there are other holidays besides christmas. Hannukah comes up in a month and quanza comes up shortly after that but even though they may not market quanza that much they still will market hannukah. The old chocolate golden coins will work wonders for their marketing campaign.

Me? I personally feel this is a good change. I dont like all the merry x-mas advertisements. It gets tiresome and boring for an atheist. I know as an atheist that I will probably be left out and mocked in this discussion for not having a religious point of view but that's their problem and this is how I feel.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

What are you talking about?

I was very clear. Look at who I quoted and my response to that quote.

The quote was (paraphrase) 'remembeirng what is important in the Christmas season.'

My response was that CHRIST is important because it is CHRIST's birthday that we are celebrating at CHRISTmas. And my example of going to a birthday party but ignorning the person who is having the birthday is exactly correct.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
FF,
You do know that it isn't Jesus's bday right?

And, if I don't give two craps about Christ, then why do I want to hear it everywhere I go?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The quote was (paraphrase) 'remembeirng what is important in the Christmas season.'

No, that's incorrect.

There was no mention of Christmas in what you quoted and responded to which is why it doesn't make sense.

Rasobasi never mentioned Christmas. He mentioned this "season" and its intent, which if I may share with you, is not isolated to Christianity which is the whole point.

There are other celebrations, other religions, other people sharing goodwill.

Therefore, Happy Holidays, and NOT just Merry Christmas.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Maybe then they will realize what actually matters about this season ...

CHRIST is what matters most. But He has been forgotten even though it's HIS birthday party. What kind of people go to a birthday party and forget the fella having the birthday?

He's right FF.

The season means different things to different people. And just because Jebus means the most to you, doesn't mean the same applies to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You do know that it isn't Jesus's bday right?

OF COURSE I know that most likely isn't Christ's birthday. No one knows what it is. But that doens't matter. CHRISTmas is the day we celebrate His birthday. The 'real' date doesn't matter. It's still his birthday and to claim to celebrate Christmas, but to ignore the person having the birthday, is rude.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

He mentioned this "season" and its intent,

It's the CHRISTmas season. The intent originally was CHRISTmas. The secular humanistic commercial holiday is NOT a celebration of CHRISTmas.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

And, if I don't give two craps about Christ, then why do I want to hear it everywhere I go?

That's just tough luck on your part. This isn't a sanitized world.

If the season was Ramadan and most people celebrated it, then I'd just have to TOLERATE that.

The entire purpose of THIS season, the entire intent, is to celebrate the birth of Christ. To sanitize it out is just to try to make it a commercialized secular holiday.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Therefore, Happy Holidays, and NOT just Merry Christmas.

Baah humbug!

Kwanza is fake. Also, the Jewish holiday is usually prior to Christmas and has it's own deocrations. Solstice? I don't think they give gifts but if they do .. then MERRY CHRISTMAS to them as well!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
FF, I'm begging you to research this a little. The original intent was to honor the winter Solstice, which has nothing to do with your god, and was around for millenia before your god showed up.

And people were giving gifts, decorating evergreens, and singing songs long before Christ was born.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

OF COURSE I know that most likely isn't Christ's birthday. No one knows what it is. But that doens't matter. CHRISTmas is the day we celebrate His birthday. The 'real' date doesn't matter. It's still his birthday and to claim to celebrate Christmas, but to ignore the person having the birthday, is rude.

Ok, Ill bite...what about all of the other holidays going on around this time. Lets say (for kicks) that the other religious holidays were all celebrating the birth of their god, or someone of spiritual significance. Is Jesus the only one who gets to have a birthday party, or get the acknowledgement for it? Dont you think that is a little self centered?
This isn't a PC issue. This isn't an issue to attack Christians (everything seems to be an attack on the poor christians lately :@@
. This is an issue that aims to NOT alienate others. If anything, Best Buys actions are the most Christlike. Again, they are not BANNING anything. This is for their ADVERTISING.

"Happy Holidays" includes Christs birthday as well as the other celebrations going on at the same time of year. What problem could you POSSIBLY have with this???

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The entire purpose of THIS season, the entire intent, is to celebrate the birth of Christ. To sanitize it out is just to try to make it a commercialized secular holiday.

Maybe to you. This SEASON was celebrated FAR before Christ was around. The only day that is devoted to Christs birth is dec. 25th (and the 24th for some). The SEASON celebrates something beyond Christs birth. To ALOT of people, Christmas is a secular holiday.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is all excessive, why should any company be regulating what employee's say to costumers or how local stores advertise? Let the employee's say whatever polite greeting they want. The only people that would end up being offended are a few, rare extremist. Its extremist that made this all such an issue. A few non-Christians get offended over hearing "Merry Christmas" and so they complain and make it a big deal while 99% of the people just want to go and shop. So the companies regulate what can be said to something PC like "Happy Holidays" which annoys a few extreme Christian's who complain while again 99% of the population just wants to shop and have a great holiday season.

Let the employee's say whatever greeting they want and if a few eccentric people complain, ignore them.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
Ive worked in retail and I just wait for the customer to say something then I just parrot it back to them.

You know, that's the most sensible way of handling it.

Like many others, I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. I like "have a happy holiday" or "happy holidays." "Merry Yule" doesn't bother me, nor does "Merry Christmas."

I think that if Christians want to celebrate their religious holiday, that they should celebrate it in a religious way. But the rest of us who want to celebrate a winter festival with fun and presents, etc... we shouldn't be forced into the "worship in a Christian manner because it's a Christian festival."

As an example, St. Patrick's day was originally a Christian feast day for a Christian saint. Now it's an excuse to celebrate Irish heritage. I don't think we should all be forced to turn it back into a Christian religious holiday after it's been secularized for the enjoyment of everyone.

Same with Valentine's day (the feast of an early Christian martyr.)

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Kwanza is fake. Also, the Jewish holiday is usually prior to Christmas and has it's own deocrations. Solstice? I don't think they give gifts but if they do .. then MERRY CHRISTMAS to them as well!

Wow, dude, your tolerance is showing (or lack thereof)....

HMMM. Kwanza is fake, huh? African American heritage is fake? Wow, maybe you need to study up a bit on who Christ was and what he stood for.

Wikipedia - Kwanza

From source article
Kwanzaa (or Kwaanza) is a week-long secular holiday honoring African-American heritage, observed from December 26 to January 1 each year, almost exclusively by African-Americans in the United States of America.

Kwanzaa consists of seven days of celebration, featuring activities such as candle-lighting and pouring of libations, and culminating in a feast and gift-giving. It was founded by controversial black nationalist Ron Karenga, and first celebrated from December 26, 1966, to January 1, 1967. Karenga calls Kwanzaa the African American branch of "first fruits" celebrations of classical African cultures.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by demorior
This is all excessive, why should any company be regulating what employee's say to costumers or how local stores advertise? Let the employee's say whatever polite greeting they want.

Dude, did you even read the thread or the article, or are you commenting on the title of the thread. I will catch you up. MERRY CHRISTMAS isn't banned!! They are just using Happy Holidays instead in order to include the other holidays - even this is only in their ADVERTISING.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join