It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's really beneath the Sphinx?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The mere fact that it is so difficult to research this area is because of religion and what it has to hide, until the world can get past the fact that all religion is, is a way of controlling the masses, keeping people in there place.
Religion has stopped us from learning the facts and the fact is that if we don't start to learn the facts of what actually has happened in the past, we will also go the way of the Dodo!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The new issue of Atlantis Rising reports that Zahi hawass has agreed to have a test hole drilled into the suspected chamber to quell the appetities of those who want resolution to this mystery. If its true its about time. The evidence and anecdotal arguments at least give weight to doing something. If its just collapsed bedrock then ok, otherwise, Egypt and the world will have something to surely talk about.

Anyone hear of this news?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
There is desert sand under the Sphinx.

2nd _________

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

Not.

The Sphinx is carved out of a protrusion of the limestone bedrock at Giza.

There is limestone under the Sphinx.

Harte

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Is it possible that they found something under the Sphinx?, yes it is. They mite have found something along time ago, they mite have found something a couple of years ago, who knows?

I love the idea that there is a passage way leading to an under city, with records of history.

Who knows whats under the Sphinx, the only way your really going to find out is if you dig under it! I would be up for that! Even if it dose take me years!

Tsom87

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The water table has probably risen to submerge anything that *might * be under there anyway. Let's hope Zahi slings a camera down there and gets some answers once and for all.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mindspin77

I heard this too, but couldn't tell you where. I did a little poking around on google and couldn't find much additional information.

Dr. Hawass, that guy is entertaining isn't he? A bit of a media whore but in Eygpt 'he's da man!' Is he going to hold his position for life? He seems personally protective of all Egyptian artifacts. Not allowing some tombs opened unless he's physically present.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hasn't a secret team of U.S archeologists already begun the excavation years ago without any public involvement? So we can conclude then, the government will never disclose what they found because we all know why. This world is turning to # real fast. *shakes head and slams fist on table."

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
Is it possible that they found something under the Sphinx?, yes it is. They mite have found something along time ago, they mite have found something a couple of years ago, who knows?

Yes, this is what i fear too. It's been what?, 25 years or more since speculations of hidden chambers under the sphinx first came into the public eye?

Any secret chambers, hall of records and history changing discoveries in and around the giza complex could have long been swept under the carpet.

So if and when Dr. Hawass sticks his eargerly anticipated cameras and drill probes down there, amazingly there will be 'nothing to see here!'

We may never know the truth

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I think this is an excellent question I also think a question that has to be asked in conjunction with this is why can't we know what if anything was/is found?Likely what is under the sphinx is a library of knowledge preserved there by an ancient and more advanced civilization (I say more advanced because they realized that sharing knowledge was a much more effective way of advancement of the species than secrecy)I know I am getting very tired of "tptb"deciding what I should and shouldn't know!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
The mere fact that it is so difficult to research this area is because of religion and what it has to hide, until the world can get past the fact that all religion is, is a way of controlling the masses, keeping people in there place.
Religion has stopped us from learning the facts and the fact is that if we don't start to learn the facts of what actually has happened in the past, we will also go the way of the Dodo!

What is this area? If you mean "what is under the sphinx" I think there is plenty of information about this area. It mostly points to

a) There is nothing under the sphinx except what holds it up
b) No one sane will agree to risk disturbing and losing a treasure such as the sphinx if there is no reason to believe theres anything to find underneath. "Hun, I made the sphinx cave-in, but I found an empty chamber below it in the process... Can't tell what it was as its now a wreck though."
c) Alternate and very interesting theories originating from suspicious sources about what may be beneath the sphinx

Perhaps none of these have the same impact as the sphinx itself, as they are a bit dull. But not everything _needs_ to have a fantastic secret to it. I think the sphinx itself is fantastic enough.

Many generations have agreed - which probably include generations that _may_ have considered hiding something underneath and were clued-up enough to realised that it may not be the safest concept if the sphinx wasn't designed for it in the first place.

Oh, and religion alone can't be blamed as it appears you are suggesting - anyone (or group) with the intent and means could be blamed of the same. I include governments and the science world. Past kings and queens...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The Sphinx is a topic I don't usually follow because there are too many people saying too many conflicting things about it, that it gives me a headache, so please escuse my lack of knowledge in the questions I am about to ask.

I have never quite ubderstood why people believe there to be something under this amazing structure. I know there has been talk about it, but I mean where did the idea originally originate from? Was it from a text in which it referenced "Beneath the Sphinx"? Or is it just speculation because people do not understand the need for such a structure, ignoring the fact this was just an unusual shaped rock that had been shaped into the figure we now see.

I wonder if centuries from now, if the world suffers from a crisis which current history is lost, if there would be speculation to what the mystery of Mount Rushmore in the US is?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I didn't read the other pages, so this may be repeated info.

I have read some books (all of which speculations) that made good arguments that the Sphinx is a representation of the era in which the Pyramids, and the Egyptians lived. Supposedly looking toward where Leo would have been in the sky however long ago, built like a lion, with the head of a pharoh.

I don't like when science 'restores' the past. The Sphinx looks too different now then what it did when it was discovered.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I thought that it was said the tomb of osiris msy be under there.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demonis
I didn't read the other pages, so this may be repeated info.

I have read some books (all of which speculations) that made good arguments that the Sphinx is a representation of the era in which the Pyramids, and the Egyptians lived. Supposedly looking toward where Leo would have been in the sky however long ago, built like a lion, with the head of a pharoh.

Problem with this is that we have no reason to believe that the Egyptians recognized what we call Leo as a lion, or that they even recognized it as a constellation.

In Sumer, where the zodiac originates, the Sumerians originally called it the "Big Dog."

The Egyptians didn't have constellations per se, though they did consider certain stars (and groups of stars) significant for various reasons.

Originally posted by DemonisI don't like when science 'restores' the past. The Sphinx looks too different now then what it did when it was discovered.

Yes, it looks more like it did originally.

The Ancient Egyptians restored the sphinx themselves as well, you know.

Harte

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Originally posted by Demonis
I don't like when science 'restores' the past. The Sphinx looks too different now then what it did when it was discovered.

Yes, it looks more like it did originally.

The Ancient Egyptians restored the sphinx themselves as well, you know.

Harte

I like seeing things restored, especially if it helps in both the preservation of history and letting more people to visually be able to see an artifact in its original glory for as long as possible. Of course, one does not want to comprimise the original artifact along the way...

I get bored of "artisits renditions" of things, especially poorly created CGI.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok.... my 2 cents...

The "secret Chamber" beneath the Sphinx is not really secret at all. It was known about for centuries, but forgotten in our own time.It was last described in print in 1953... yes, as recent as that. Countless subsequent speculations about secret chambers have all been published without anyone having any recollection or knowledge of the many accounts of the real secret chamber that have appeared in print since 1672. Published accounts of the chamber appeared several times in print during the 281 years that have elapsed from the first to the last mention of it.

The location and measurements of the entrance shaft are known, as is the location of an apparent "burial chamber", which has been entered by several people. It appears that no-one today that claims to be an expert on the sphinx knows anything about these previous accounts in print.

I have researched the sphinx and it's enclosure for a couple of years now, and have discovered the following....

There are several passages/tunnels that lead into the Sphinx... this is without doubt.. I have read many accounts from people that have entered them, and it would appear that studying these entrances may lead to discovery of a chamber/room below.

We will discuss them in detail.....

The most well known entrance into the Sphinx is the hole near the hindquarters/rump. It enters the structure and drops into a hollow in the rock. A modern ladder hasbeen placed in position in order to access the passage that is higher up within the orrifice. From the ladder you can see a narrow tunnel about 15 feet deep has been dug out of the rock. This is adequate for 2 people to stand up in. What a lot of people don't know, however, is that this tunnel also continues upwards.....

The upward tunnel is not straight, and is impossible to access due to modern wooden supporting beams that criss cross within it, presumably to provide internal support to the structure itself. This tunnel goes south for a few feet, then turns east into towars the body of the Sphinx... and apparently ends abruptly, blocked by a concrete wall. (More about this later).

The hip area of the sphinx has experienced a great deal of weakness and has been repared many times in antiquity. What did this tunnel originally lead to? That is the question.....

Zahi Hawass and Mark Lehner actually wrote an article about the sphinx rump tunnel that was published in 1994, but is little known...

The hole in the head of the Sphinx has been explored and found to go into the head only, and stop abruptly.

There is also another hole, just behind the head.. that bores down about 6 metres into the structure, but again, ends abruptly. This is believed to be a fairly modern hole cut by explorers/grave robbers and therefore we will talk of it no more!

A third tunnel into the Sphinx body is located on the north side of the sphinx, and has not been opened since 1926, when Emile Braize opened it. There are photographs available showing 2 workmen stood within this opening.... This tunnel has never been explored since it was sealed by Emile Braize in 1926 with bricks and mortar. On October 16 1980 Zawi Hawass and Mark Lehner removed a brick sized rock, bonded with modern cement, that was beleived to have been place dthere by Braize.... behind this brick was a grey cememnt packing that was obviously form Braize's 1926 restoration works... (Along with all the cement daubed onto the neck and headress to make it more stable). A hole was forced through this cement and it was found that the bedrock floor drops off into a cavity. Behind this cement was a large limestone slab, again, apparently put in place by Braize to cover the opening into the passage beyond.

Now, the most interesting entrance/passage....

As you may be realising... the "restorations" carried out by Braize in 1926 were pretty drastic. Very early photo's of the sphinx show a huge fissure on top of the hips of the sphinx, which many claim led to the burial chamber. There is also documented evidence of a large rectangular entrance on top of the hips at the back of the sphinx. This entrance measured 4 feet x 2 feet in size and is mentioned in may travellers reports of visits to the sphinx. This shaft and burial chamber that it leads to is thought to have been formed during pharionic times, to form a retrospective burial chamber, which a few people actually gained access to. Unfortunately, by 1926, Braize had completely filled in this shaft and chamber with cement, thus making acces to the sub-terranian chamber impossible. The rump tunnel inside the sphinx, (Which, incidentally, is only now covered by the casing stones), also now terminates at this point, where braize's cement oozed into the tunnel on th eback and blocked this tunnel as well!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
There is also a little known cavity beneath the altar of the sphinx, which today is covered with a modern metal grille, but descends into a cavity below. During Henry Salt's "restoration" works in the early 1800's he entered this cavity, Apparently a passage ran from this cavity, again, into the body of the Sphinx, however, following an argument with Count De Forbin, (author of "Travels in the Holy land"), Salt and Forbin alledgedly had an argument about this cavity, with Forbin insisting someone should crawl along the passage contained within, but it appears Salt could not be bothered and "dealt with the situation" in the manner of a diplomat, simply by sealing the tunnel off and settling the matter by brute force! This brick wall remains until today.. and still, once again, no-one has even thought of knocking it down to have a look! Salt is unlikely to have had the resources of Braize that enable him to poor vast quantities of cement into the Sphinx to seal the opening, Salt's blockage would probably be easy to unblock....
edit on 6-9-2011 by PerfectAnomoly because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
However, back to the hole in the back!

Charles Thompson, who visited the Shpinx in 1733, and published the account of his travels in 1754, talks of the "hole in the top of the back", He managed to uncover the hole under a light covering of sand. Thompson conveniently tells us precisely where in the top of the back this was, for he measured the distance and size of the hole. It is/was 75m feet from the back of the head, and 30 feet from the tail, in other words, In other words, it is at the point where the hips connect, and precisely where the huge fissure i mention earlier is located.... later to be filled by Braize with modern cement...

Not to mention the "Cuppola's" that rest up against the side of the Sphinx.... no-one knows of their purpose.....

So, in summary, and in answer to your question, Yes, a chamber beneath the Sphinx is well documented, although accounts of this chamber reveal that only some wood from a sarcophogas and some heiroglyphs were discovered.... which backs up the idea that this was formed out of a natural fissure in the limestone sometime in the Old Kingdom.

This chamber is certainly not the fabled "Hall of records" that has been much spoken about and searched for. That remains a mystery.....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would imagine that in order for those extremely heavy pyramids to have remained intact for so long, they must have underneath them some very exceptionally stable bedrock.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join