It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Plans Manned Moon Landing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It looks like India is planning a manned lunar landing sometime in the 2020 timeframe, according to this Hindustan Times article:

An Indian will walk on the moon in 2020. Or so the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) maintains.

At a forthcoming meeting of the country's top scientists on November 7, ISRO will, for the first time, unveil two of its ambitious plans - to send an Indian into space around 2014 and then to have one walk on the moon about six years later. Both missions will be accomplished without any foreign assistance. ISRO will even find a Sanskrit word equivalent for the US's 'astronaut' and Russia's 'cosmonaut' to describe the Indian in space.

This is interesting news - although not entirely surprising, with China's space program growing at a steady pace and Japan proposing (PDF warning; see page 33) a manned moon mission sometime after 2015. The space race of the 21st Century looks to be taking shape in Asia right now.

I'm usually one who is all for international space efforts - the more the merrier. But India faces MANY social challenges, not the least of which are overpopulation, crushing poverty, and occassional famine. At the risk of sounding paternalistic, I'm not sure that this is the best place for India to be spending money.

On the other hand, if NASA doesn't get it together on the Constellation program (and quick!) China, India, and Japan might ALL beat us back to the moon!

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
to be honest, the u.s. is a country with a lot of social and economic problems, yet we still spend money on things such as the space program or other more frivolous efforts like paying scientists to gauge how fast ketchup pours from a bottle.

maybe an active space program in india will ignite the fires of hope in its people much like ours did in the 60's.

i guess i'm just trying to sorta be optimistic.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think the an Indian on the moon is a great idea for an ancient and noble civilization and race of peoples.

True, the money used could probably be best spent elsewhere, but such is the case with every nation.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
why do space missions take so long to execute? I know alot of things need to take place, but 18 months for hubbles repair, a wait over a decade for india. Why can't they focus on this stuff more speedier..

peace

jra

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Good for India I say. I think putting money into sciences and what not is a good thing. The return benefits can help improve ones standard of living with the technological improvements that will come out of the space program. Some things that came out of the Apollo program were cordless power tools and appliances, improved smoke detectors and improved water filtration not to mention lots of medical improvements. Here's a site with more examples techtran.msfc.nasa.gov...

Putting money towards the poor and homeless won't solve any long term problems the way I see it. Where as investing in the sciences you can improve every ones standard of living and probably create more jobs. But don't get me wrong. I'm all for getting the homeless homes. I just think not investing money into the sciences is like shooting yourself in the foot.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think all countries should sort of loosely work together. Not like the ISS though, it should be more a international DARPA-like agency(without the Military objectives) where no idea is too wild, improbably, foolhardy, or dangerous. NASA has lost these attributes(or never had them to begin with). NASA would still exist and would work under voluntary direction from this umbrella organization along side JAXA, China, ESA, etc. State Secrets can still be kept while getting a deal inked for a joint effort will be much easier to conduct.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well What is the history of INDIA in Space all i've heard was couple of satellites thats it. Can any one give me info about it other than TWO SATELLITES.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
www.google.com... is your friend

[edit on 25-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Plan all they want, but those poor suns of bethces aint got the know how to properly provide clean and fresh drinking water to half of its citizenry, let alone find out how to provide this same luxury to a few of their own hundreds of thousands of miles away. Albeit, they won't need to bathe.

Yes, countries work together. Here in the US we invent, innovate and finance;while we teach the rest of the primitive world how not to kill one another, we ship factory jobs to poor desolate places like India.

India=Competiveness=Cheap Labor

The Brits knew...know...still know.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, Aramco, I'll grant you that India has quite a few serious social problems - and that providing clean water to the population is certainly among them. However, it seems that you are... mis-informed about the current state of affairs in India. The United States isn't just outsourcing "factory jobs" (as you put it) to "poor, desolate places like India." We're outsourcing relatively high-paying white-collar jobs to India as well. There's a great Wired article from 2004 that details the outsourcing of computer programing positions to India - because the Indians work harder than their American counterparts, are willing to work longer hours for less money, and are just as (if not more) qualified than the Americans.

India has a very young but very capable space program, and this project is well within their capabilities in the indicated timeframe. Perhaps you should learn more about India and that nation's advances in satellite and space launch technology before informing all us peons that India:

Quote by Aramco
aint got the know how to properly provide clean and fresh drinking water to half of its citizenry

Thanks a bunch.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   

aint got the know how to properly provide clean and fresh drinking water to half of its citizenry

Do you have the knowhow? Does anyone? You do realize that "half the country" equals half a billion people right? The logistical challenge alone makes my skull ache. Also, a lot of the problems are Cultural which complicate the logistics even more.

jra

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aramco
Plan all they want, but those poor suns of bethces aint got the know how to properly provide clean and fresh drinking water to half of its citizenry, let alone find out how to provide this same luxury to a few of their own hundreds of thousands of miles away. Albeit, they won't need to bathe.

Have you actually looked or read anything about India post 1950's? The standards of living are improving as are a lot of other things. The Country is considered to be an emerging superpower, so don't under estimate them so much. They are far from perfect, but no Country is perfect.

Here in the US we invent, innovate and finance;while we teach the rest of the primitive world how not to kill one another, we ship factory jobs to poor desolate places like India.

Wow... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that ignorant statement.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by jra]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhloydPhanbecause the Indians work harder than their American counterparts, are willing to work longer hours for less money, and are just as (if not more) qualified than the Americans.

Complete and utter bs. There are not enough Americans to work these software jobs. Indians also work for far less, but American companies necessarily do not want to outsource all of the jobs. Indians do not speak, write and read English like Americans. Try calling Dell's customer support!

India has a very young but very capable space program, and this project is well within their capabilities in the indicated timeframe. Perhaps you should learn more about India and that nation's advances in satellite and space launch technology before informing all us peons that India:

How? How is it? America has Beoing, Lockheed and NG. What does India have? Unless they do have flying carpets, they will never make it to more than 80 miles above the earth's surface.

Most of all, and certainly most of all, India has no reason or excuse to have a space program in the first place.

jra

The standards of living are improving as are a lot of other things. The Country is considered to be an emerging superpower, so don't under estimate them so much. They are far from perfect, but no Country is perfect.

Standard of living is improving? At what rate? I will tell you what rate: a snail's pace.

Wow... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that ignorant statement.

I do not know either, but go ahead and remain ignorant to the situation if you will.

jra

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Indians do not speak, write and read English like Americans. Try calling Dell's customer support!

There are approximately 350 million English speakers there (that's more than the entire population of the U.S.). And just because you have issues understanding their accent doesn't mean they can't speak English.

How? How is it? America has Beoing, Lockheed and NG. What does India have? Unless they do have flying carpets, they will never make it to more than 80 miles above the earth's surface.

I just looked quickly, found one. Only took a few minutes. en.wikipedia.org... I'm sure there are more. And no they aren't like Boeing, Lockheed or any of those guys, but who's to say they can't be some day?

Most of all, and certainly most of all, India has no reason or excuse to have a space program in the first place.

But you have no problems with, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Malaysia, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, People's Republic of China, Peru, Romania, Thailand or the Ukraine having space agencies/programs?

More here: en.wikipedia.org...

Standard of living is improving? At what rate? I will tell you what rate: a snail's pace.

50% of Indians lived under the poverty line in 1995. As of 2006 22% live under the poverty line. Snails pace my ass.

What's with all the hate a prejudice against India? You clearly have some issues about the Country.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by jra]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Ah, a nice long waiting period. That should be longenough for me to convince India that when they do go, they should investigate some of the things that johnlear writes about here.

This way once and for all, it will be known. Either way.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by da king
Well What is the history of INDIA in Space all i've heard was couple of satellites thats it. Can any one give me info about it other than TWO SATELLITES.

Well. to cut your agony short and kinda improve your general knowledge about the Indian Space Program, which it seems you are clueless about, I've taken extreme pains to google Wikipedia for you so that you can be educated on this topic.

Click here!

[edit on 29-11-2006 by mikesingh]

jra

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
From the wikipedia link that mikesingh posted.

Also it is pointed out that the ISRO is unique amongst space programmes for its focus on developmental applications such as educational broadcasting and remote sensing. In addition, the ISRO is arguably the most financially successful space programme, with very cheap development and launch capabilities, and a budget of which 45% spent goes to Indian industry - it is arguable that the ISRO has paid for itself several times over already, not just in terms of success, but also in terms of commercial return. Finally, it seems obvious to many that a country the size of India needs independent launch capabilities, and a full spectrum of scientific institutions and industry.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Ah, a nice long waiting period. That should be longenough for me to convince India that when they do go, they should investigate some of the things that johnlear writes about here.

This way once and for all, it will be known. Either way.

That's exactly what I was about to say! Will all the Moon conspiracies finally be laid to rest? Would we get to know if the Moon has:

An atmosphere?
Mining ops?
Aliens?
Secret black projects?

Heck! I've a lurking suspicion that India, being a buddy of America, will keep things as secret as the Americans. You see, the nuclear deal was a quid pro quo. 'We-give- you-nuke-tech-and-fodder-for-your-reactors-in-exchange-for-keeping-the-world's best-kept-secrets'!

So guys, were back to square one. Don't expect any Earth shattering revelations, even from the moon probe India's sending next year.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sorry, i am still laughing at this statement!

Here in the US we invent, innovate and finance;while we teach the rest of the primitive world how not to kill one another.

Yeah right, as the biggest arms dealer in the world and with more murders per capita than any developed nation you are hardly teaching the rest of the world how not to kill each other.

As for the fact that india has only to date launched a couple of satillites on the systems they developed themselves. I think it is worth remembering that the uk has only ever launched 1 satillite on its indiginous space technology, so they are already doing better than we ever did!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   

those poor suns of bethces... they won't need to bathe.

What a disgusting way to phrase your prejudiced and ignorant statements.

There are Indians on this board. One of them is a moderator. Would you say the same sort of thing to their faces?

I don't know how your kind of talk squares with the Terms & Conditions, but if I were a moderator I would penalize you for this revolting behaviour. And right now I'm very unhappy with the Terms & Conditions, because they will not permit me to address you in the terms you so richly deserve.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join