It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kappa Sigma Question

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
sadly the one who divulged what A.E.K.A.B means was wrong for those of you desiring the answer, guess not paying dues wasn't the only reason he was dismissed

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Stop trying to assume every member of your fraternity is a decent person. No fraternity has rigorous quality-control at all of its chapters. Some of the people in my fraternity were decent, some were dirt bags. My fraternity expelled a member for misconduct that later joined Kappa Sigma.

I am not saying this to try and suggest my frat is or was better than Kappa Sig or any other fraternity. Again, there were some dirt bags in my fraternity. You should not however be so bold as to state that every member from every chapter of your fraternity is or was a decent person. For your own sake and well being, you should admit to yourself that some members of your fraternity are not decent people.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
[My fraternity expelled a member for misconduct that later joined Kappa Sigma.

Here's a related factoid -- North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) rules prohibit the "reinitiatiation" of a Greek-letter initiate, so once a man has been initiated into one NIC-member fraternity (of which all the national fraternities are) he not eligible to join a different one. Same goes for women and the National Panhellenic Council. All participating universities uphold this age-old restriction. So the possibilites here are the guy was a pledge when he was expelled (i.e. not an initiate) or that the other chapter ignored the rules and initiated him anyway, which is actually pretty rare, propbably resulting in significant sanctions against the chapter.

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalfon

I am very well aware it is unusual for someone to be a member of two fraternities. This person was a fully initiated member of my fraternity and later became a fully initiated member of Kappa Sigma. Even though being a fully initiated member of two fraternities violates some rule, the rule does not matter if nobody enforces it. A rule does not get enforced unless somebody takes the initiative to cry foul and bring forth some sort of action to enforce the rule. .

My fraternity did not seem to mind if this particular person joined Kappa Sigma, and even if it did, it would much rather not air its dirty laundry by discussing the circumstances surrounding the member's expulsion. Kappa Sigma for one reason or another was glad to have him come on board as a member despite the fact he was a fully initiated member of my fraternity. Other fraternities on campus either did not know about the situation or did not care. The net result of all this apathy was that the rule was not enforced.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Completely untrue. We had two brothers, good friends of each other, who were formally released (deaffiliated) and joined another fraternity on our campus.

I am a member of a fraternity that used to be a secret society, but since college campuses do not allow 'societies' any longer, we decided to take the legit route and become a fraternity.

Perge!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by retroviralsounds

Yes, and note the difference. "Formally released" paves the way to join another fraternity. "Expelled" does not. I'm sure every Greek-letter devotee of ATS can offer some personal opinion on how the rule was applied or how it was not in his or her personal experience.

What's far more important, of course, are the protocols that the national fraternities set nationwide, and the practices they engage in with each other.

For more detail, contact the National Interfraternity Conference if you want to get into the whys and wherefores of how NIC-member fraternities constitute membership. Or, if you'd rather -- call the national office of your own fraternity to better understand what your fraternity's practices are around the subject of initiation and reinitiation.

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by retroviralsounds

... but since college campuses do not allow 'societies' any longer, we decided to take the legit route and become a fraternity.

Sounds like something unique to your own college.

Numerous societies, both so-called "secret" and non-secret presently flourish on many, many college campuses today. Whether or not a college allows societies and fraternities, or neither, or both -- is completely indidividual to the college's own particular custom.

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Word. As a Brother from Hawaii, I know what it is like to see others not pay when you are. It's frustrating to see, and my Brother from Tennessee is right. You should be kicked out, assuming that you were severely delinquent.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Wow first of all this guy who thinks you get nothing out of a fraternity is a complete idiot. You are not involved in greek life so STFU about them. everybody knows someone who is involved in Greek life and who are you to judge the things they do or dont do in their organization..
I have been Involved in Kappa Sigma for a couple years now and I can tell you one thing I have used my brothers for school help, involved in sports, have a group of my brothers go and work out to "better ourselves" and by the way idiot, A commitment to a fraternity who is well known for its community service and a good name looks extremely well on a resume... So shut the hell up and anyone looking for AEKDB will never know the true meaning unless you initiated...

A.E.K.D.B ecause people are just ignorant and will never understand... HA

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Many NIC rules get flagrantly violated. There are NIC rules prohibbitting hazing, underage drinking, and substance abuse, yet we all know that a healthy percentage of fraternity chapters flagrantly violate these rules regularly. If these NIC rules are flouted on a large scale, what makes you think that another rule could not have been flouted by two fraternity chapters in an isolated incident. ]

You also note the rules govern how fraternities are supposed to interact amongst eachother. These rules may have been made to prevent one fraternity from "stealing" members from another fraternity or perhaps to prevent fraternities from having their member's loyalties diluted between two or more fraternities. If the two fraternities involved seemed to acquiesce to the situation, then the spirit of the rule was not violated.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The Big O

Funny Bro. It's founder's day today and my b-day is tomorrow and all i hear and see on the web (lately) is talk about who we are and what we stand for. You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! There are many people will not understand nor comprehend. There are many other things not in a book "Supposedly" to be our ritual book. Nevertheless, as long as we stand true to who we are and what we strive to be. It makes no difference what anyone else says or thinks. "The best kept secret is the one not mentioned" Everyone should just stop discussing it on the web.

A-B

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

[what makes you think that another rule could not have been flouted by two fraternity chapters in an isolated incident.

HotPinkUrinalMint:

Here's the relevant excerpt from the NIC Bylaws - Section 1, subsection 3:

(3) (partial) “... meaning that no member fraternity shall initiate a member of another fraternity until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the fraternity."

I've got no doubt that the scenario you described, on your particular campus and in your own particular experience, took place. But it is not, however, a widespread or frequent occurrance.

But don't take my word for it -- call your national fraternity office and speak to your national director of membership. He'll indicate that there are always isolated incidents of member "poaching" and NIC rules which aren't upheld locally but that no, it's not a common occurrance.

Speaking as a former fraternity officer, and then later as a chapter advisor to several different chapters, and finally as an alumnus involved in national fraternity leadership in a "top ten" national fraternity -- I can tell you that 1) I hail from a chapter that would NEVER take a man who'd been previously initiated into another fraternity; and 2) I know well (again, as an alumnus involved continually in a leadership role) that it's not something that's tolerated at universities with stronger and more conscientious Greek-letter systems where rejoining another fraternity, post-initiation, (and without exceptionally compelling cause) would be regarded as slightly scandalous and an insult to both chapters involved.

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
ok...so..Here's what I have to say about all of this. Those of you who think fraternities or sororities are stupid, ridiculous , or a waste of time should stop reading little message boards *like this one* and find something better to do. If you hate kappa sig which by the way is the best frat EVER, then spending your free time complaining about it isnt really proving it. If u dont care...leave it alone. Maybe those of us involved in greek life think people who arent suck in general. Do we complain about it? No. y? We have better things to do. Such as bonding with our brothers/sisters. Gaining valuable life expreriences that can only be obtained through our commitment to greek life. Or possible helping the community*philanthropies)Y do u care what AEKDB means? I have no idea, I'm curious yes but I would hate to think that someone would want to expose secrets that have such great meaning to others. If you arent part of it then you dont understand. If u think u do in fact understand then your just an idiot. grow up find something better to do with your life and stop being ignorant.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I am currently an active brother of kappa sigma, but i have money problems with paying off my tuition even being a navy reserve, and i decided make my career with the SEALs, i'll dedicate over next 20 years of my life to it, as i have dedicated nearly 4 to kappa sigma, and if i every find the person who giving out our secrets (not that you can understand them anyway) i will rip your #ing head off regardless if your a brother (which is worth) or just a random dumb #.

A.E.K.D.B

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

In this particular situation, the Greek system at my school at this particular time was weak. Virtually all the houses on campus (including my fraternity and Kappa Sigma) had low membership. From what I heard, this particular member of my fraternity had a close friend that was only going to pledge Kappa Sigma if the ex-member of my fraternity pledged the fraternity. I could see why the Kappa Sigma chapter was willing to "overlook" an NIC rule in order to get two members and perhaps keep itself afloat.

My fraternity did not see Kappa Sigma's action as a disgrace to our fraternity. We got rid of the guy so it is not as if Kappa Sigma "poached" him from us. I did know someone in Kappa Sigma and asked them if he knew about the expulsion, and apparently the guy was not completely forthcoming.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

... apparently the guy was not completely forthcoming.

Exactly. It's unlikely that the second fraternity would have been able to take him if the NIC compact (to which all major US fraternities subscribe) had been followed. Full release (with cause) from the first fraternity; notification to the national office of the second, regular election to the second fraternity with full knowledge of the original situation -- and so on.

Again, while there are lots of one-off situations, this is an extremely rare practice -- perhaps except at universities where, as you pointed out yourself - the fraternity system and both chapters at your college were "weak" -- it's not a good example of regular processes.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

KS knew that he was a fully initiated member of our fraternity and he was expelled. They did not know *why* he was expelled from our fraternity. Our fraternity was more than happy to keep the whole incident surrounding the expulsion quiet because it reflected poorly the fraternity and the expelled member. (Let us just say the incident invovled hazing.) If any reasonable person knew what the person had done, they would not want him to join their fraternity.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

... Our fraternity was more than happy to keep the whole incident surrounding the expulsion quiet because it reflected poorly the fraternity and the expelled member ...

Yes, again -- it's a breakdown of National and NIC agreements at (what you stated was a) "weak" fraterntiy system and involving two "weak" chapters.

For the record, it's not up to your chapter to make this decision -- once a guy is initiated -- it must involve the NATIONAL fraternity -- these two "weak" chapters on your campus didn't follow the normal process.

The minute ins and outs of why and how this situation happened at your campus aren't really relevant to the topic line of where this post was headed ... I think it's, AGAIN, fair to say this is not widespread practice.

Thanks for your observations, though, and for helping to make my point.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Big O

The O

I to am a brother for the Kappa Sigma fraternity. I just want to tell you that I think you are completely right. Even if they know all of that stuff, they still do not know what it means to be a Kappa Sigma.

A.E.K.D.B

c_townguy

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join