posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 02:59 PM
Kobenhavn. Steel five-masted barque, auxiliary diesel, 3965 tons. Sail training vessel. Built Leith, Scotland, 1921. Lbd 354 x 49 x 28-7 ft. Her
overall length was 430 ft. School ship of the Danish East Asiatic Company. Captain Hans Ferdinand Andersen. Lost in 1928, or early 1929. Sailed from
Buenos Aires for Australiain 14 December 1928, and simply disappeared without leaving as much as a an identifiable splinter behind her, or the bones
of of one of her forty-five boys. Her total crew was sisty. She had long-range radio equipment on board, but there was no SOS. This was a magnificent
vessel, beautifully finished, with all modern equipment available at the time. She did many trips to Australia on several circumnavigations of the
world. Her disappearance resulted in a massive search with a dozen or so ships retracing her route across the Atlantic, round Cape of Good Hope, and
far south into Antarctic waters. Some vessels visited the isolated islands of the southern Indian Ocean, searching for wreckage or castaways. Nothing
was ever found. An inquiry found that whatever happened, did so quickly, with no time for an SOS. An iceberg was mentioned.
While cruising near the coastline off Punta Arenas, Chile, the British sailing ship Johnson sighted what appeared to be a boat with sails floating in
the wind. When British signals elicited no response, the craft was approached. The crew noticed that the ship's masts and sails were covered with
some kind of green moss, and that the vessel seemed abandoned by its crew.
Upon boarding it, the skeleton of a man was discovered beneath the helm. The deck was decayed to such an extent, that it gave under the footsteps.
Three more skeletons were found near a panel, ten were found in the crew's quarters, and six on the bridge.
Upon the ravanged prow of the vessel, the words, Marlborough Glasgow, could still be discerned.
The Marlborugh left Littleton, N.Z. in January 1890 with a cargo of wool and frozen mutton, and a crew of 23 men under Captain Hird. In April 1890 an
unsuccessful search for the vessel was made. Nothing was ever found of them until 1913.
Taken from the Wellington, New Zealand Evening Post
November 13, 1913 and Agence Havas