It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should western canada seperate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i for one believe that the west would fair much better if it were to seperate and start its own nation. economicly , the benefits are outstanding, socially the people there would actually get a vote that means something. currently our vote has no bearing in parliment and ottawa views the west as a means to produce money to support the east.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I say no.

Do the First Nations get a separate vote? What about land claims? If the First Nations decide they want to stay in Canada, our new country is going to look pretty funny with holes in the middle of it. We could call ourselves the Swiss cheese country.

Are you from Alberta, by any chance?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
yes i am from alberta. but if you are a canuck yourself, then you've seen how large sums of money given out to native affairs, and the tracts of land given out, have not helped the native peoples one bit. when i say separate, i dont mean to keep the wishy washy limp wristed approach our political leaders take. that way of thinking has led us to look for change, and to separate and write our own policies, with the people of western canada best interest at heart.and sure the native populace could vote, will they?? now be honest!

[edit on 13-9-2006 by doggmann]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I mean do they get a separate vote as to whether they want to stay in Canada. First Nations have the right to self-determination. If I was First Nations, I would much rather stay in Canada, than form a country with people who don't think very highly of me.

The residential school system has only been out of action for 30 years now, and they effects of forced conversion might have something to do with why they are having problems. I've dealt with First Nations people on my last project, and trust me, they aren't going to give up the rights they have as Canadians that they would most likely not be given in this new country.

PS, I'm in BC.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
sure if i had a free ride, i woud not want to lose it either.BUT the traditional days are gone, we are all equal,and i feel we should all pay the same in taxes, and to contribute to society as a whole.they would only want to hold to canadian citizenship because of the free benefits.having a duel class citizenship where the masses contribute tax dollars to support a minority is ridiculus.they would vote the same as everyone else, no more special privilages! equallity is equallity. you tend to forget that talk of separation is because we are sick of how our money is thrown away.we do not want a pseudo-canadian country, we want our own country.with our own rules. and yes cutting out hand outs would benefit the whole by large. besides with the available resources and jobs that are here, what does anyone need to live on social assistance or welfare anyways

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
That's the problem. Your 'we' doesn't represent everyone. In fact, I think the only reason BC gets included in this is because Alberta wants to use our port to ship oil.

Which provinces exactly are you talking about? BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan?

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
truth be told alberta could hold its own quite fine without the other provinces. if alberta were to go i think b.c. would be better off joining the cause, but the "we" is the general talk among albertans, there is not much concern about sask. and bc. like i said it woud be advantagious for them to join but far from nessessary.fact is with the revenue that we have, the lower the population the more money for the rest of us.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by doggmann]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hi there, could any of you be so kind as to inform this Yankee here on what first nations are and what is this west vs. east thing? Sort of like our blue vs. red states thing? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
First Nations is equivalent to Native American. That's what they call themselves, so we use it too. Each nation is a tribe and the first is because they were here before us.

The East vs. West thing is complicated, but has to do with unequal representation in government and now that Alberta's gotten oil rich, some of them want to go their own way. Not every Albertan feels this way.

The Blue vs. Red might apply also, Alberta is traditionally more conservative than the rest of the country. Alberta is where the new brand of Canadian conservatism started.

I think it has more to do with economics and oil, however.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yes, the economy in Alberta is booming. Money in Alberta is coming in from every corner, we know.

But separation?

Lets say in forty years the oil drys up. Would you guys come knocking on our door?

The first question has been answered, you are from Alberta. My question is do you work in the Oil business? Maybe even a rigger working so many weeks on and so many off.

Seems to me the people that say this are from Alberta, and are wheelin' in the Oil money. Has anyone ever heard of Sask. or Manitoba wanting to separate? Honest question, I have not but maybe it has. I would be surprised if it has, so correct me if I am wrong. B.C. have they ever wanted to separate?

Alberta is where the action is at, but forty years ago my home town in Cape Breton was absolutely booming. The biggest town in the country and just flourishing. Today, it is a ghost town. It's time for some people to come off of their pedestal and realize that they are not above this great country.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i am glad you made that point, it seems that ottawa really had your best interest at heart.if your town was as prosperous as you say, then how was it that it turned into a ghost town? i see your point if we let the east continue to rape our resources we could all be poor like the maritines,then everyone woud be the same in this great country!
to answer your question i do not in any way work in the oil industry. in regards to the other provinces if they feel that having a redundant vote with no say how the counrty is run then fine! stay with ottawa, we will however take our money and run with it none the less

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well to answer your question, our resources dried up. Actually, no that would be wrong. Our dirty government thought it would be cheaper to ship coal in from half way across the ocean rather than mine the coal we live on everyday. Coal mining and Fishing are two industries that were booming in Cape Breton. The numbers we were hitting can only be attained for so many years, they have been on the steady decline. However, they are looking into reopening some coal mines in our area which is great news.

As for the separation issue, I would see it as a sad day if any Province even brought it to a referendum. It was a mere few votes that kept Quebec in confederation. Play it out in your head, lets say Quebec separates from Canada and begins to govern themselves. What comes of Atlantic Canada? We would be distant memory and no doubt fall off the map in no time at all. If Alberta brought up the same issue without the support of surrounding provinces, all would be effected. Unless British Columbia came on board with the idea, it would do you no good.

Stay true to your roots and be proud to be Canadian!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
i hate to burst your bubble but the only ones who would suffer is ontario and quebec. if alberta revenue were to cease, the economy out east would go belly up. there just simply isnt enough money being generated out there to fully support themselves. the western provinces dont rely on alberta revenue to survive and the east coast cant do any worst then they are now.my point is if ottawa doesnt realize that alberta is keeping this country's head above water and starts to cater to who bring home the bacon, then why should we allow a big chunk of our profits go to support quebec separatists when that money could go to support ourselves?
by the way chissler, you wouldnt happen to be from ontario would you? i just say that because most easteners cry about sovernty and how great we are as a nation,when talk is about taking alberta money out of canadian coffers. but will laugh at, ridicule and ignor the west when we ask for help or at least to make a decision that will benefit our lives. funny how premier ralph gets asked to go to washington but the prime minister gets to stay home. think about it!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes because the rest of the country is far too left wing and all they do is put their hands out for money all the time. This has to change and a western separation movement will help to encourage change I think.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
doggman, I am from the east coast.

Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

We are the Little Brother to the rest of the country. To top that one, Cape Breton is the Little Brother to the mainland of Nova Scotia. We get it from all angles.

I respect your opinion for separation. You have strong feelings for this and you back it, how can one not respect that? However, I will openly say that I think your wrong and it would be a detriment to both parties involved if separation did go down.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
YES!! Can we leave tomorrow? This junk in Ottawa is making me nauseous...again...

top topics

join