It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is hell really like?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
st3ve_o,

other than to say that,

if it were not for fakes, infiltrating

into the clergy , among other things,

your understanding of hell , would be

much clearer than it is today.

I would seek out a REAL pastor,

not a TV evangelist.

but a soft spoken , humble man

who can touch your soul with his words.

and also pick up the book yourself

and read...

[ and I'm glad you are asking . it is a good sign. ]

p.s. if you do seek out a pastor ,
carefully ask a question or two
and if they don't seem right , move on. find another
try again .
I talked to a coworker about the fakes
in church, and he went to catholic
schools and agreed with my comments.
it was his opinion that only 2 of the
dozens he had contact with were for real !

goodluck

toasted

[edit on 10-9-2006 by toasted]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years.
Some get much more time.

Only God can reveal what happens after people die, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible. This is what the Bible says: “As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.” (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.
Not all the quotes. Sheol, where everyone goes at death, is the waiting place. Not necesserily Hell. Two diffrent places. Is this about the dead's similar beahvior in contrasts to the living, or is it more about the place? As there are 2 seperate places that people can go to (sheol vs. Heaven/Hell duo.), which one is this in reference to, if ths covers more than the dead's behavior?

In order to be tormented, a person has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? Once again, the Bible gives the answer: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead, who are “conscious of nothing at all,” to experience agony anywhere.
Lacks information on the wating for judgement. Better thought of as their worries are not of the living, for they don't think as we, since they have no body to worry for. Again, is the Sheol or Hell? Those are 2 seperate places. Also contradicts verses on the living you do in Heaven.

As far as scripture discerns, no one will be in Hell until judgement. As this old Earth is still quite here, I'm not too fixated on Hell at the moment.

[edit on 10-9-2006 by jlc163]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
okay just thinking, hell is the so called home of the fallen angel lucifer (aka satan).

also if there is an hell, there is no doubt people like adolf hitler, al-zarqawi are there!!

okay my question, if satan rejects everything that is good, why would he punish evil people like himself (satan doesn't work for god)

therefore could bible teachings be false, and could hell be just one big party full of nutters having a laugh??

what do you think hell is really like??, discuss

Satan does not punish you in Hell. Satan is also there being punished.

You are in solitude in Hell so there will be no party im sorry.

Originally posted by anglosaxon
Goodness! When will people of religious convictions accept that the concept of hell is a fear inducing myth perpetrated to shunt the indoctrinated masses into the arms religion to which the ultimate goal is mind control.
There is NO hell. No heaven either!
If you are a Christian - I'm a Pagan - ask yourself this. Why would YOUR benevolent God, who is all seeing, all powerfull ,allow this place to exist?
The question of 'What is hell really like?' is a debateable joke because no one can furnish any reliable of factual answers other than those myths that have been circulated for two millenium. Hell is a thumbscrew for christianity to keep it's faithfull grovelling to a ficticious divinity in hope that at the end of thier lives they will have a place in the promised land whatever they cocieve that to be.

If God is perfect he must be perfectly just. All sin must be punished. If he didnt punish every sin he wouldn't be perfect.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'd have to say that anglosaxon hit the nail on the head...If you want to know what the Bible really says about Hell, you have to read it for yourself. But that brings up the major question: Which Bible? There's so many different versions that you really don't know what's what. It might also be a good idea to refer to the best direct translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls as you can find: Try sticking to what reports have been written by the scholars who actually translated them in the first place. It should be fairly easy to find; Google Scholar can help.

Part of the reason why there's so many different versions is due to translation errors. The original scriptures were written in ancient Hebrew. Later, as the New Testament started to come together, it was subsequently written in Greek, then Latin.

Another reason for such discrepancies is that some in the Church would misinterpret the context of what the original writers were saying: Sometimes, it was an honest misunderstanding of context, other times the re-wording was deliberate for ulterior motives.

A good site I've found (and posted in several other places around ATS) is What the Hell is Hell?. This site explores the meaning & context of the numerous Bible versions & compares them with "secondary opinions" written by Bible Scholars & other opinions by "high-ups" in the Church authority.

In a nutshell though, Hell never existed until the Greeks started translating the Old Testament & writing for the New Testament and even then, they got it all wrong: There is no Hell as it is taught today.

I also put in a few words about religion (around ATS) as it appeared through known history...At least, religion as I see it. In short, I count myself among the Faithful, but I disdain any organized religion due to the reasons I posted here, here and here

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
The are plenty of people that live a life of denial and absence of God. They haven't seen hell yet.

Sun Matrix, I believe you misunderstood. Ill try to explain my view a little better. Denial and absence of God wont happen until after you die. While your alive, you may reject God , but God wont reject you. God will give you your entire life up until you die to know God. Meaning, you wont "see hell" while your alive.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
Your destined to die , its a given. Your spirit however, the real you, will live on forever.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
Not all the quotes. Sheol, where everyone goes at death, is the waiting place. Not necesserily Hell. Two diffrent places. Is this about the dead's similar beahvior in contrasts to the living, or is it more about the place? As there are 2 seperate places that people can go to (sheol vs. Heaven/Hell duo.), which one is this in reference to, if ths covers more than the dead's behavior?

I agree with you that Sheol is not the same as "Hell" as many believe. In fact in its original languages, the Bible uses the Hebrew word she’ohl′ and its Greek equivalent hai′des more than 70 times. Both words are related to death. Some Bible translations render them as “grave,” “hell,” or “pit.” However, in most languages there are no words that convey the precise sense of these Hebrew and Greek words.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 states: “There is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going.” Does this mean that Sheol refers to a specific, or individual, grave site where we may have buried a loved one? No. When the Bible refers to a specific burial place, or grave, it uses other Hebrew and Greek words, not she’ohl′ and hai′des. (Genesis 23:7-9; Matthew 28:1)

God’s Word indicates that “Sheol,” or “Hades,” refers to something much more than even a large mass grave. For instance, Isaiah 5:14 notes that Sheol is “spacious and has opened its mouth wide beyond bounds.” Although Sheol has already swallowed, so to speak, countless dead people, it always seems to hunger for more. (Proverbs 30:15, 16) Unlike any literal burial site, which can hold only a limited number of the dead, “Sheol and the place of destruction themselves do not get satisfied.” (Proverbs 27:20) Sheol never becomes full. It has no limits. Sheol, or Hades, is thus not a literal place in a specific location. Rather, it is the common grave of dead mankind, the figurative location where most of mankind sleep in death.

Lacks information on the wating for judgement. Better thought of as their worries are not of the living, for they don't think as we, since they have no body to worry for. Again, is the Sheol or Hell? Those are 2 seperate places. Also contradicts verses on the living you do in Heaven.As far as scripture discerns, no one will be in Hell until judgement. As this old Earth is still quite here, I'm not too fixated on Hell at the moment.

You are correct, I did not mention the possibility of a ressurection to life again from this state of non-existance. The Bible teaching of the resurrection helps us to gain further insight into the meaning of “Sheol” and “Hades.” God’s Word associates Sheol and Hades with the sort of death from which there will be a resurrection. (Job 14:13; Acts 2:31; Revelation 20:13)

God’s Word also shows that those in Sheol, or Hades, include not only those who have served GOD but also many who have not served him. (Genesis 37:35; Psalm 55:15) Therefore, the Bible teaches that there will be “a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.”—Acts 24:15.

In contrast, the dead who will not be raised are described as being, not in Sheol, or Hades, but “in Gehenna.” Those consigned to Gehenna face everlasting and final annihilation from which there is no hope for a ressurection. (Matthew 5:30; 10:28; 23:33) Like Sheol and Hades, Gehenna is not a literal place. Certainly not a place of fiery torment.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Why hell is a terrible place full of burning souls in a eternal pit of lava,did you never go to sunday school?

A party? If Hitler and co are there thats one party I don't want to attend

No offence or criticism aimed at you Kuhl.
But the idea to me personally that various historic figures such as hitler are all sitting around in a firery cavern are pretty un-realistic.
Hell and Heaven? Im not religous in any way.. and even If I was I would question such a realm, being religion on earth is something purely in the MIND.. something completely runing through the THOUGHT of man..
The only possible way for there to be a firery cavern, is if your creative realm when you die remains.. and you simply IMAGINE it.

IE.. everyone will have a different hell. because ultimately its there own minds interpretation of the event. Much like dreams.

Which is exactly what I believe heaven and hell to be.
Your mind is the last thing to function before your die.
I believe you go into a DREAM like state.
Hell is like nightmares, heaven are like dreams.
You have a happy life, you think positive happy thoughts, chances are when you die you'll be thinking about HAPPY things, about a positive life. there fore you will have a postive dream in your dying microseconds.. and that is where you remain.
If you've been a mean, hate filled person, when you die your remain in that mindset, and thus your in a miserable realm. Called Hell.

So to summarize, everyones hell / heaven is different.
If you beleive in religion stronly, chances are you last thoughts will be of a heaven. thus your dreams will be as you foresee

But to think there's a collective world of evil men, is soo far from the realm of 'possibility' it just adds to the growing points on a 'criticism of religion' list.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

What is Hell like?

I submit for your consideration,

Needles Ca.
Bullhead City Az
Parker Az.
Lake Havasu Az
Blythe Ca
Vidal Junction Ca
Brawely Ca.

need I say more?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I agree with the people who say hell is a state of mind, and perhaps if our souls do live on after we die then hell is not being able to accept the fact we have died and thus move on.

Anyway my main reason for posting was to ask a question which may throw a spanner into the works, but what the hell! (bad pun, I know)

Just wondering what happens to the people who according to Christianity, "bear false idols?"

For example Hindu's or Buddhists, do they go to this "Hell" that you speak of?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by fanthorpe
I agree with the people who say hell is a state of mind, and perhaps if our souls do live on after we die then hell is not being able to accept the fact we have died and thus move on.

Anyway my main reason for posting was to ask a question which may throw a spanner into the works, but what the hell! (bad pun, I know)

Just wondering what happens to the people who according to Christianity, "bear false idols?"

For example Hindu's or Buddhists, do they go to this "Hell" that you speak of?

Yes. All who have had reasonable opportunity to accept God but have not, will go to Hell. Therefore children will not be in Hell and isolated tribes such as those in Amazon who have not heard the Word of God.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Actually, Lancer, I disagree. Would being unknowing be an automatic ticket to Hell? No, because that would also include all of the infant mortalities, even those born in Christian families. How could an infant be expected to know of Christianity until they've had a chance to grow up for at least a few years. The website I linked in my first post here might be a good reference for you...That's merely one of the points they discuss. They actually have scripture & Official Church opinions as a basis for their discussion there.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
That's what i said. People who dont get an opportunity to know God will not go to Hell.

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
yeah but i can't believe god created us, said "right believe in me, if you don't you go to hell" :/

why give us freewill then? why punish people for what they don't know?

let me get this right, so just because you don't believe in him and your (maybe) wrong hes going to make you burn in the fires of hell for eternity

whats all this FORGIVENESS talk in the bible then? :/

picture this scenario, somebody like princess diana did good ALL HER LIFE helping people.... so say if she didn't believe in god (when she was living) she'll be in hell right now with hitler?

wow god sounds one self-centred *waves look at me, look at me* if thats the case.

[edit on 20-9-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
I'd have to say that anglosaxon hit the nail on the head...If you want to know what the Bible really says about Hell, you have to read it for yourself. But that brings up the major question: Which Bible? There's so many different versions that you really don't know what's what. It might also be a good idea to refer to the best direct translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls as you can find: Try sticking to what reports have been written by the scholars who actually translated them in the first place. It should be fairly easy to find; Google Scholar can help.

Here
Often leaves you to your own conclusions, but it does give you 3 out of the top 5 translations directly from the Greek, and the top 1 or 2 direct translations from Hebrew to play around with, and shows where the same words pop up.

Modern translations/transliterations are of little issue. You go back to the source to fix that.
The issue is the huge diffrence in the ammount of books in the Catholic Bible, compared to the common Bible found elsewhere.

For choosing between those, you have to go back to the theological papers covering just why they were rejected, at first, then later added into the Catholic bible.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Before we ask 'what is Hell like?'..... I think it would be more productive to examine if there is even a Hell in the first place, and where our ideas about the whole concept of Hell comes from.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Where did Hell come from? It seems, from the documented evidence, that the basic concept of Hell came from the Greeks; It looks like they tagged onto the Norse Hel & inserted the concept. It was mostly the Catholic Church that spread the more modern concept of Hell as being a place of eternal punishment.

In the original scriptures, before the Greeks got their hands on it, the Hebrews never had a "place of eternal punishment" in the scripture at all. Even the infamous Gehenna was not a place of the spirit, but it was an actual. physical location where Hebrew enemies sacrificed Hebrew children by fire; This is probably how Gehenna got mistakenly translated for being Hell & the connection with "lake of fire" became attached to Hell.

The Hebrew Sheol was also mistakenly translated to mean Hell also, but to the Hebrew, the word sheol translates directly to "grave" or "pit". In the spiritual context, sheol was were the spirits of the dead would simply exist "for an age" (not eternal) while being freed from earthly cares (not punishment, simply to rest from mortal cares), then go to God.

If you'd like to see, what I would call, a unique perspective on what heaven & hell are like, I'd suggest reading Ann Rice's "Memnoch the Devil". Yes, it's fiction, but she learned what truth is enscribed in scripture & expanded the concepts far beyond...But in a logical & concise manner. I must admit that I haven't been able to find any contradictions between her research & how she melded her own imagination together.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
what about the people with no religions? where are they going to go, is there a special place for them, or do we live forever?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
what about the people with no religions? where are they going to go, is there a special place for them, or do we live forever?

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What is hell really like?

Whatever you so wish it and so it shall be! No man can live in any hellish condition that he has not already conditioned himself to live in now.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I would submit that Hell ( beyond those actual locations mentioned earlier) is a creation
of the RCC and all the churches based on or derived from it. In other words ALL Judeo christian churches. In evidence there of the one shared concept of all of these "churches" can be summed up as follows,

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
Annie Dillard

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join