It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is hell really like?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
okay just thinking, hell is the so called home of the fallen angel lucifer (aka satan).

also if there is an hell, there is no doubt people like adolf hitler, al-zarqawi are there!!

okay my question, if satan rejects everything that is good, why would he punish evil people like himself (satan doesn't work for god)

therefore could bible teachings be false, and could hell be just one big party full of nutters having a laugh??

what do you think hell is really like??, discuss

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Why hell is a terrible place full of burning souls in a eternal pit of lava,did you never go to sunday school?

A party? If Hitler and co are there thats one party I don't want to attend

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
i never really no, i like to question things for myself not what someone 'wants' us to believe.

put it this way i wouldn't want to be at the party myself mate, but it just doesn't make sence in why hell would be a place full of ever lasting torture, torturing the souls of evil people who ALSO resent god (the same as satan himself).

[edit on 6-9-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Why hell is a terrible place full of burning souls in a eternal pit of lava, did you never go to sunday school?

Haha, true! Reminds me old lessons of my mom when I was a Kid haha!

Anyway, hell is seen as the eternal sadness, suffering, darkness. I believe hell is another denomination to what we know as purgatory. There are many views about how it is like, just research about religions in general and you'll find them.

But living may be the biggest hell of all.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hell, man I know it well.
It's getting home from work 3 hours late, when my wife had the kids all day, and it's "That time".........
Satan would be afraid of her.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Sorry about the double post! See that's how scared of her I am, I can't even type! Yeah, I know what hell is, and it aint fun.

[edit on 6-9-2006 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Goodness! When will people of religious convictions accept that the concept of hell is a fear inducing myth perpetrated to shunt the indoctrinated masses into the arms religion to which the ultimate goal is mind control.
There is NO hell. No heaven either!
If you are a Christian - I'm a Pagan - ask yourself this. Why would YOUR benevolent God, who is all seeing, all powerfull ,allow this place to exist?
The question of 'What is hell really like?' is a debateable joke because no one can furnish any reliable of factual answers other than those myths that have been circulated for two millenium. Hell is a thumbscrew for christianity to keep it's faithfull grovelling to a ficticious divinity in hope that at the end of thier lives they will have a place in the promised land whatever they cocieve that to be.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Anglosaxon, great post!

Hell is the point every summer when Big Brother hits Channel 4.

Eternity in the company of Beelzebub would be a blessing compared to that.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I like this explanation of hell. It makes sense to me.

Originally posted by Mizar
Hell is a state of being. As your physical body needs food to live your sould needs God to stay in a "healthy" state. However your soul cannot die and thusly without the one thing that can keep it "healthy" you will suffer. Hell is not a fire and brimstone place. It is a complete denial of God and absece of God.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Couple of options...(or a few)

- its a place the government sends "souls" /if they exist/ for permanent abuse for whatever reason
- its earth and we are in it and we keep being recycled here (reincarnation) until we find a way out
- it does not exist.

The Evangelical Christian concept of Hell is definitaley not what hell is.
Sure the Bible has some stuff in it, but the way it is currently understood, I believe, is incorrect.
...of course enjoy it, if thats your stick.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon
Goodness! When will people of religious convictions accept that the concept of hell is a fear inducing myth perpetrated to shunt the indoctrinated masses into the arms religion to which the ultimate goal is mind control.
There is NO hell.

Bingo!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Sounds like you got it figured out. Cool.
I'm one of the indoctrinated masses, so please be gentle.

At some point in the history of reason, the idea of "good" and "bad" came into play. (For example, it's good to be compassionate, it's bad to murder, it feels good to love someone, it feels bad to hate someone, etc.) Now over the course of my lifetime, I've been brainwashed to believe that the source of this sense of "right" and "wrong" is God. It's not a huge step from there to believing that, after we die, there will be some sort of clearer division between the "right" and "wrong" that we catch glimpses of here in our dimension. Throw in the fact that heaven and hell have been a constant theme throughout the existence of humans, add in a few near-death experience testimonies, and I'm sold.

Here's the thing...

Originally posted by anglosaxonIf you are a Christian - I'm a Pagan - ask yourself this. Why would YOUR benevolent God, who is all seeing, all powerfull ,allow this place to exist?

Don't know. I don't really get it.

There are a lot of things that, as a Christian, I can't put my finger on. I can't imagine a loving and powerful God allowing people to be tormented forever either. So I don't run around spouting fire and brimstone. At the same time, I don't think that the concept of "right" and "wrong" will be completely dismissed when we die.

I think one of the snares that Christians get caught in is discussing the nature of an unknoweable God with concrete certainty. It's hard to do that without sounding like you have some kind of agenda.

Of course, opposing camps make the same mistake.
Exhibit A:

Hell is a thumbscrew for christianity to keep it's faithfull grovelling to a ficticious divinity...

That's what I call a "high stakes bet."

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Ever experienced depression, anger, guilt, bad feeling etc. = Hell

Ever experienced joy, health, pleasure, good feeling etc. = Heaven

this is my opinion and insight on this. The more one suffers and feels bad, the more he is 'satanized', the more good vibes one experiences, the more he lives in heaven. It's all a matter of how one sees (t)his world in his mind and therefore what one attracts.

In this universe you choose your destiny, choose wisely my friends, for you have the key to open your own universe! Ask and you shall be given! It is all thrown in your face.

Balance is the key to make your own heaven, first clear your mind and be centered and calm, then resonate on what you truly want, start with feeling good, everyone knows when he feels good or not, is there something that you want to change, well change it, it is in your possibility to do it. Good luck with your lives.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by etherical waterwave]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The mind can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell. I don't think of hell as a single place where people congregate but as a personal area. Personally, I think hell is where people punish themselves for what they believe to have been evil or things they might have done wrong in their lives. Heaven is just a person's ability to transcend all that and move on.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
well, according to flying spaghetti monsterism, hell is very similar to las vegas

the beer is stale and the strippers (both male and female) have venerial diseases

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnDoe43
I like this explanation of hell. It makes sense to me.

It is a complete denial of God and absece of God.

The are plenty of people that live a life of denial and absence of God. They haven't seen hell yet.

This makes sense to me.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
okay just thinking, hell is the so called home of the fallen angel lucifer (aka satan).

also if there is an hell, there is no doubt people like adolf hitler, al-zarqawi are there!!

okay my question, if satan rejects everything that is good, why would he punish evil people like himself (satan doesn't work for god)

therefore could bible teachings be false, and could hell be just one big party full of nutters having a laugh??

what do you think hell is really like??, discuss

Hi st3ve/

Well,
I wouldn't call ''Hell'' one big party.
The teachings of Hell are explained in the Bible.
Sure, it is an absance of God, but it is also more then that!
Let's look at what Psalms says....
quote///‘the valley of the shadow of death’ (Ps.23:4),
‘the darkness’ and ‘the land of forgetfulness’ (Ps.88:12),

And what Christ says...
quote///
‘the outer darkness’ (Matt.22:13)
And ‘the Hell of fire’ (Matt.5:22).

If anyone knows about true 'Love'..
eg/
A baby looks to the parent with Love.....it sees no other.
The Child is dependant on the parent, carer or whoever....it has total trust that the parent or the carer will look out for all it's needs.
When the Child has all this, it feels Loved.....when the child feels no Love, it feels empty and useless.
Sadness and loneliness becomes a reality for them and this is also what it would feel like in Hell.
There is also the 'Fire of HEll'
This of-course is what 'WE' ouselves bring with us ,when the body dies.
The 'soul'....after death will experience all out doings in the life we live now.
Hell........is like what we feel when we are at our worst....if you can remember the worst painful experience,emotional or physical......then one will know what 'Hell' may be like.
hmm,
Many will also say that in their life they have not experienced fully 'void' emptiness in ones life......but this also depends on what the circumstance was/is.
Hell has also many places.......depending again on what the body shall reap on earth,it shall also experience in the after life.
Heaven has also many places..again,being what the body reaps through ones life..
There is no in-between.
There is no mention of an in-between in the Bible.
Hell can be escaped by coming good with God.
Christ .......
‘Death is swallowed up in victory’. ‘O death, where is thy sting? O Hell, where is thy victory?..
Death was destroyed by Jesus Christ....He became the Second Adam.(look above quote)
eg/
Adam........first Created MAN........
Jesus Christ......The Son of Man.....destryed DEATH by His crucifiction and His Love for mankind...

I know there is a whole lot more on the subject....i'll try and see what i can find......
Many have also experienced Hell......not for FEAR, but so that their life may change accordingly.

helen
helen

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   

by: anglosaxon:
Why would YOUR benevolent God, who is all seeing, all powerfull ,allow this place to exist?

God is Benevolence and law. If God was wholy benevolence, as we see it, the concept of Heaven and hell would be confusing.

Something from the nature of God:
God's peace:

John 14:27
27 "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.

Unlike man's peace, which is about ending wars and whatnot, this is not about ending all war. This is about the ablility to be at peace with yourself while you have a world full of war at your throat. Rather Buddhistic, but lacks it being from just within you, but comes from an external source. Most christians don't get this. God's definately not about external peace:

Matthew 10:34-36
34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 "For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; 36 and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD.
God came to pick a fight with his creation, fighting for what they were supposed to be. It divides houses, and it certainly divides us here. If he's going to give you peace, not as the world gives, and he going to start a fight in your household, then what are you missing from the picture? The direction o fyuor question is wrong, and as fallible as any human who would question something he can't equal. A God who I'm fully equal to is not worth worshipping, since I can do what he does for me, for myself. That's why I'd rather be an athiest than be a part of most religions out there.

God is peace, but not in a fully fathomable, easy-to-compartmentalize way. Love is the same way with my God. So is benevolence, punsihment, etc. All are failry understandable, but not by our typical worldly standards. It's like thinking outside the box every single time you face this Spirit.

Thsi is the same God who basically told Jonah: Where I give my benevolence is my business, not yours. I'm the one who established the rules before you existed.

How in the world is a person going to grasp the true nature of Hell when they don't understand the God who created it?

First and foremeost, God is a jealous God. You are his creation, and he provides for you as he sees fit. Most people can't distinguish wants from needs, so how can they understand God's benevolence and his punishment?

I agree with JohnDoe43:

People who were created to be a part of you, and you a part of them reject you throughout all the time they have a chance. It hurts so much you make a place where, since they want to get away from you so bad, that you're not there, and they can not be a part of you. You both get what they want. You turn a deaf ear to that void, never listening, never seeing it's existance. That's ultimately what Hell is. Since God is supposed to be love, whether or not we fully understand it (and we had enough trouble looking at something like peace, I'm not getting into love). How would you describe a place so lacking in love that Love essentially doesn't exist there? ...wailing and gnashing of teeth, utter darkness, nothing but torment...burning but never burnt out...

And where in the world do we get the idea that Satan controls hell? That place was originally designed to torment those angels who rebelled. (Biblically, Angels had a much more losely connected relationship with God than humans, and are not created in God's image, though they are of a spiritual body. They rebelled first, and so we have the first jail.) This place was designed to hold lesser beings, not something with the spark of God. If anything, we are more likely to be tormenting the devils, as Biblically, we're supposed to be in judgement over them.

Edited for lost information:

[edit on 10-9-2006 by jlc163]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years. Even if someone was guilty of extreme wickedness all his life, would everlasting torment be a just punishment? No. It would be grossly unjust to torment a man forever for the sins that he committed in a short lifetime.

Only God can reveal what happens after people die, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible. This is what the Bible says: “As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.” (Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.

In order to be tormented, a person has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? Once again, the Bible gives the answer: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead, who are “conscious of nothing at all,” to experience agony anywhere.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
A lot like Qebec apparently..

According to an Canadian Ice hockey player I was just talking too

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join