It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superman Returns an attempt at Christian Propaganda?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousity

Though your post doesn't sound as though you are a Christian yourself, (excuse me if I misread it) you sure hit the nail on the head with this post!

I'd like to point out that very few mainstream movies are produced by solid Christians, by which I mean those that would hold out for the clear Christian message and not hedge it in order to sell tickets.

So then, I'd be willing to state as an opinion that Superman was not produced by Christians.

Well one of the few movies that stayed true to the christian faith, the passion of the christ, there were a few scense gibson was forced to omit because of the jewish outcry.

in the bible, pilate washes his hands and states that he washes himself of christs blood and takes no responsibility for his death nor does he wish to kill jesus.

to which the jews continue to shout "crucify him!" and "let his blood be on our hands and the hands of our children" .

they felt this would cause an anti-semetic backlash and so gibson begrudgingly had to edit the scene so this wasnt heard in the movie.

really sad because this movie was SO close to the bible and the events of the new testament and this little thing kinda of messed up of how true and closely it followed the bible.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie yet but everyone I know that has loved it! I thought the Matrix trilogy basically had a Christian theme too and it's on my top 10 list. Who cares if the movie's good?

I heard Batwoman is returning as the first lesbian super hero. That's cool too as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
I saw the movie.its great!
no its not christian.. if you have read any of the interviews of the original creators of superman...they were jewish. supermans name is also jewish and so the names of many people from his homeland. in the interviews by the creators of superman...he is supposed to represent the jewish people, as being aliens in a world full of chaos,

Superman, like Goldman.

Actually, Kal-El does mean the voice of God in Hebrew. Even though Jor doesn't actually mean anything.

If that's the case, then I can't help but think this is an attempt at remaking the Christ thing. The savior thing, the resurection, the cross pose when he 'dies'. The Father giving his only son, all that stuff really makes him a Christ charecter. I'm betting that even though he was originally written as a jew, he was remade into Jesus.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Jesus is a common figure to which Superman is compared....

.....further fortifying Superman's role as a Christ figure.

SUPERMAN
The 1978 movie, Superman, is really the story of Jesus Christ. Original inventors, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, made their Superman resonate with their Jewish roots.

Superman’s “Jesus-like persona” is always there, before Superman Returns. Superman is Chris-like, that is part of the character. He won’t save us all but should inspire us all to rise and save our selves. Both are sent by their fathers (Jor-El and God) to Earth to help mankind. Jonathan and Martha, are an like Christ's earthly parents, Joseph and Mary.
Remember The Death of Superman? Superman's body disappeared from his coffin, mirroring Jesus's resurrection.

Superman is Christ-like, movie or no movie.

[edit on 1/7/2006 by Umbrax]

Forgive me for barging in, but Superman is What? Christ like?

No I must disagree. I offer, Superman is not Christ Like.

He is Anti Christ Like.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
Forgive me for barging in, but Superman is What? Christ like?

No I must disagree. I offer, Superman is not Christ Like.

He is Anti Christ Like.

Ciao

Shane

I have presented many references that Superman is Christ-like.
How is he Antichrist-Like? What are your examples?

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
We just saw the movie and both my friend and I made the same comment to each other when Lois comes to visit Superman in the hospital on the Third day and he is gone from his death bed in the room.

THe other references like when his arms are outstretched, looking heavenward, and the Omnipresent voice of his Father saying he is his only Son were quite thinly veiled references to the 'Superman as Christ' comparison.

BUT THE BIG THING IN LIGHT OF THE DIVINCI CODE...
is that Superman apparently has a Son. A son that was born after Superman "left this world". Sounds similar to the Divinci Code theory.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Originally posted by Shane
He is Anti Christ Like.

Ciao Shane

I have presented many references that Superman is Christ-like.
How is he Antichrist-Like? What are your examples?

Anyone, attempting to be Christ Like, is infact Antichrist.

And despite what we may feel about it, Antichrist means little more than instead of Christ.

Everything Satan "will" do, will be mimicing Christ's attributes, and Superman, as you overwhelming noted, is just that. Mimicing Christ.

And there will be many Antichrists, leading upto to the troublesome one.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
By the same token that someone could perceive this to be Christian propaganda, Christians could perceive it to be blasphemous.

More likely than either of those being the intent of the film's creators is the common theme of Messianic characters throughout history. Superman is a very mythic, archetypal character. The original films had similar undertones, particularly the first one.

The same things could be said about The Matrix, in fact, even more so arguably due to the names of certain people and places (Trinity, Zion, etc.)

Messianic themes are extremely common in huge, bigger than life, mythic films, books, and other works. It doesn't have to mean anything other than a continuation of that trend.

All interpretations are equally valid, though.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Guys guys superman was created in the time were america was in crissis around the time of the stock market crash, people needed a hero to luck up to that was when superman was created to lift peoples spirits.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The only things that this, or any other movie attempts to do, is part you from your hard earned dollar [or that of your parents], and distract you from real live issues out there in consensus reality that can affect every single soul. Judging on this thread, it is at least succeeding in the latter.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
" don't want to be lumped in with the King Kong thread, however somehow I know I will be.

I noticed multiple points diring the new Superman movie at which I felt uncomfortable. There were constant references to him being the 'Savior'. After that, there were times at which he posed in the standard christ pose (you all know the cross pose). And there was even a point where he was dead, and resurected to return as the world's savior.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an attempt to create a Jesus-like persona for Superman?"

You not the first to bring this up but being an avid comic book and movie fan I must somewhat agree to a certain degree.

Superman has carried this persona for a long time. Superman for a long time has been regarded as humanities 'savior'.

Think about this he comes from a planet of God like people sent to Earth not only as the sole survivor of his home world but to offer humanity a path which we otherwise are not taking. Superman was created to be the ultimate good guy.

This movie in particular (seen it) is very well done and pays homage to the originals including Marlon Brando as his father. The word Savior was mentioned a few times in the movie and he does sacrifice himself for us. Considering how screwed up the world is I think we do need some sort of Savior and this movie sent that message.

I'm not a christian but I agree with many of the things in the teachings of Jesus Christ. I think even if people aren't Christian they should read those stories because they do teach good life lessons. Jesus was a man of peace and non-violence and that is alright by my books.

Superman is a hero for all ages and has been for over 70 years now during that time many people have said he is a Jesus type figure. But seriously though Jesus never flew around kicking criminals asses like Superman does. I think that the Jesus/Superman connection ends at a few similarities

1: Superman and Jesus both come from fathers not from Earth.
2: Both are viewed as saviors.
3: Both are men of peace.
4: Both appear to be God like.
5: Neither of them discriminate.
6: Both have sacrificed themselves for humanity. (Superman on several occasions)
7: Both have been ressurected.

Both of these figures share a common trait and that is they try to show the rest of us how we should can and hopefully someday will be. Humanity has the potential to become a truly proud and noble race.

I think in particular anyway Superman will always be viewed as a pure and transparent hero most will watch the movie and not even think about it. I thought this movie was quite close to the Reeves movies of the 70's it was a decent updated version for a new generation.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Superman was invented by two Jewish kids, directed by Jews in theater, I haven't checked the producers, but I'm guessing it aint Christians or Arabs or Buddhists.

All the names of the Kryptonians are hebrew names, or inventions based on Hebrew.
Jor-El, Kal-El, all mean "something"-"of god" in hebrew.

The Original Black and White Superman was Gay, the Director for this Superman is Gay.

Was it German scientists or German-Jew Scientist who promoted the "uber-mensch" back
in the twenties and thirties prior to the "invention" of superman? Whatever Hitler was all about bringing "Superman" man to life, could kind of call him Jor-El, Der Fuhrer....

Any likeness to Christ is just playing with your simple minded christian heads, to get
you suckers to buy tickets. Step right up step right get you messiah here.

By the way the Hebrews had expected a Messiah long before you Christians stole
other people's religions.

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Legalizer]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is funny -- I love comics, superman included. A friend of mine works at a book store and she got me this book about superman without really looking at what the topic was pertaining to superman. The book is called the gospel according to the world's greatest super hero and its basically goes into detail about how the creators of superman, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, wrote superman as a Jesus figure -- not actually jesus, but someone who embodies jesus' teachings blah blah blah.

anyway, the book points out a few interesting points (at least in the frst chapter, thats all I bothered reading)

anyone really interested should check out " The gospel according to the world's greatest superhero" written by Stephen Skelton

peas out

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Some critics in the media and other sites of commentary are dissing the new Superman film because the original showed a wholesome american figure as superman. Also the gay director of this film has to some people's eyes softened the masculinity of Superman and molded him in their image.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I saw the movie yesterday. I think Bryan Singer did play off a lot on the whole "Savior" motif, but, seeing as how Singer is gay, I don't think he would produce a piece of "Christian propaganda". I was also watching a piece on ABC about how things in Superman that came off as "too American" had been changed to appeal to a more international audience. Because of that, I doubt the movie was intentionally "Christian". I think Singer just wanted to portray Superman as a superman. The connectoins are obvious if you look for them, but they're also there in the comic books, too.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Bryan Singer is Jewish......

Superman, is in essence, based upon the Messiah prophecies from the old testament (Daniel, Isiah, I think). You see, the Jewish people were expecting something glorious as a Messiah, not a simple man, like Jesus. Superman is kinda the creators way of saying "this would have been cool if it happened this way!!!!" After all, many Jewish people believe that Jesus was a prophet, and believe that they are still awaiting their true Messiah.....

All the Jewish people that believed Jesus was the Messiah, well, they converted to Christianity way back in the day, or even now these days....

[edit on 7/2/2006 by Drewsillac]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There was a class I took called film and religion, and we had a segment of the class where we watched the Lord of the Rings and the Matrix trilogy. Both have Christ like figures in them. LOTR- Aragorn(the king returns to bring peace to the world.), and the Matrix(Neo gives up his own life so that others are "saved"). These figures are in our culture all the time. I dont see the big deal with one more.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think you're reading a bit too much into this specific movie, without focusing on the entire Superman story.

Let's see...

-His "father" which is more like a supreme being in the way that he watches over and guides Clark. Not to mention the suffix EL meaning GOD in Hebrew. There are also theories about what "Jor" would translate into. The original creators of Superman were Jewish, so I don't think giving them Hebrew names were on accident.
-Destined to save the world. (I don't think I need to comment on this one.)
-Superman comes here, goes away for awhile, comes back. (See also the theories of ressurection).
-Falls in love with a woman, but can't help but keep it secret (think about the theories of Mary Magdalene).
-Ummm... performs miracles? Has super-human powers? These ones are no-brainers.
-But then you could compare him to Moses, as saying since they sent their son off away from their land to save his life... means that Clark is just like Moses!

The fact that this movie seemed Christ-like to you guys means that the production crew did their job at portraying the original Superman story, while staying very close to the same storyline. Read the comics, see the original movies and television series'. IT'S THE SAME CHARACTER IT'S ALWAYS BEEN.

There's no doubt that connections can be made between Superman and Christ, but to say that this movie is propaganda, is just very absurd! Stay indoors if you're going to be offended so easily.

[edit on 2-7-2006 by J3551C4]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Also, A&E is showing a program, in which they touched a bit on this subject. You'll also see that this character in this chapter of Superman entertainment is the same as it's always been.

www.aetv.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Any likeness to Christ is just playing with your simple minded christian heads, to get you suckers to buy tickets. Step right up step right get you messiah here.

By the way the Hebrews had expected a Messiah long before you Christians stole
other people's religions. [edit on 2-7-2006 by Legalizer]

You have made my point I was mentioning earlier.

Christ speaks to this in Matthew 24
www.jesus-is-lord.com...

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

It is a False Christ, or Anti-Christ, (instead of Christ) that Superman's role is acted out as.

As for our Jewish Brothers, they still are awaiting the Messiah. They chose not to accept Christ as being this, since He did nothing to throw the Yoke of Roman Oppression from the Land of Israel. They wished Freedom from this, and nothing Christ offered, resembled what their expectations where.

Christians didn't steal Jesus. They simply accept Him. The Jew's did not loose Jesus. They simply dismissed Him.

So I doubt very much, if a "Christian" going to see the New Superman, is expecting in anyway shape or form to be getting religious instructions from the Theater. They maybe going to see a Movie, for the sake of seeing a Movie.

I trust you get what I mean.

Have a Good Day Legalizer

Ciao

Shane

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join