It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superman Returns an attempt at Christian Propaganda?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I don't want to be lumped in with the King Kong thread, however somehow I know I will be.

I noticed multiple points diring the new Superman movie at which I felt uncomfortable. There were constant references to him being the 'Savior'. After that, there were times at which he posed in the standard christ pose (you all know the cross pose). And there was even a point where he was dead, and resurected to return as the world's savior.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an attempt to create a Jesus-like persona for Superman?

[edit on 1-7-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Hey

you beat me to it...I was going to make a thread based on the same observations.
From the Christ pose to rebirth all of those scenes can be referred and compared to Jesus.

What i also noted is the scene where Louis describes Superman to her husband and says - he always tells the truth. Truth also falls under important teaching of Jesus Christ.

Another scene is when supermans father is talking and says he sends his only son
to be the saviour. Doesnt get any closer than that!!!

Something to think about:
Superman will be gentically created with the DNA which was extracted from the uncovered remains of the cross and nails which were used in the crucifixion. His deeds will make him look like a saviour, many will follow and many will die, until the fasade comes down and reveals the Antichrist.

maybe i went a bit overboard ha.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by theTRUTHtheWAY]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I didn't want to, but you two have made me want to blow the money to see this movie now.............I was waiting for the DVD!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
As a Christian, I'm glad you have brought this up. I have not yet seen this movie, and now have no intentions to see this movie.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Maybe the screenwriters are Black Sabbath fans:

Sorcerers of madness
Selling me their time
Child of god sitting in the sun
Giving peace of mind
Fictional seduction
On a black snow sky
Sadness kills the superman
Even fathers cry

(Spiral Architect--one of my faves...)

So, who plays Superman in this one?

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie yet, but even in the comics Superman is very Christ-like.
Check out Kingdom Come.

www.captionbox.net

Jesus is a common figure to which Superman is compared; his first appearance in the book shows a retired Superman, with long hair and a beard, performing carpentry on his barn and carrying two planks and three nails. Other examples abound, further fortifying Superman's role as a Christ figure, until Captain Marvel intervenes. He does not allow Superman to face the bomb and, instead, sacrifices himself in a cross-shaped mushroom cloud.

Check out this review of the first Superman movie.

www.hollywoodjesus.com

SUPERMAN
The 1978 movie, Superman, is really the story of Jesus Christ. Original inventors, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, made their Superman resonate with their Jewish roots.
-Review By David Bruce

Superman’s “Jesus-like persona” is always there, before Superman Returns. Superman is Chris-like, that is part of the character. He won’t save us all but should inspire us all to rise and save our selves. Both are sent by their fathers (Jor-El and God) to Earth to help mankind. Jonathan and Martha, are an like Christ's earthly parents, Joseph and Mary.
Remember The Death of Superman? Superman's body disappeared from his coffin, mirroring Jesus's resurrection.

Superman is Christ-like, movie or no movie.

[edit on 1/7/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
If Jesus is personafied as Superman, then what is analogous to Kryptonite?

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Not sure on the kryptonite anology,maybe there is none. Everyone,and everything has its own weakness,and kyrptonite just happens to be supermans. But then again,on krypton,he is normal,and has no powers,its our sun that gives him his powers.It's late,and too tired to think

BTW,any of you watch smallville? I love that show,it has a different take on superman,he's in his late teens,early 20's. It has more of a real life feel to it than the other superman spin-offs.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
If Jesus is personafied as Superman, then what is analogous to Kryptonite?

The leaven of the Pharisees?

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Am I superman?

I am a very funny person
...such great humours

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
you could be 'superboy' or 'supergirl' Dottie aka surrender_dorothy...since your role as 'Jesus' was terminated [at least on this site] but thats not allowed, I guess...well, keep trucking, buddie !...............

Holy Dora Dyke, Robin ! hes back !......

Maybe he'll put the WTC back up in NYC ? ...and write a story on what really did go on................geeeee, he's starting to sound like JFKjr...cub reporter from 'George Magazine'...mmmmmmmmm......

queenannie
funny and on-the-money, girl/sis

He did do Lois and use his powers to make her forget in past chapters, right, what a guy.............nasty

Lets see how the wanna be 'christian' dude does this time.....

The 'superman' cat that we used to see in the 50's, took himself off the scene [may G-D have Mercy on him] ...

Well the 'controllers' have been using 'christianty' [as well as other religions] as mind-control programs for a very long time.....sooo I guess superman might get born-again...........

Lolove n luck n good sex/emotions/passions ! ...ave maria ! supermom...Infinity

[edit on 1-7-2006 by georgejohn]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by poiSoN466
As a Christian, I'm glad you have brought this up. I have not yet seen this movie, and now have no intentions to see this movie.

Isn't that pretty close-minded? To take the conclusions of the opinions of another, and make them your own? How do you learn anything for yourself?

NN

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

You better not let the ADL hear you talking like that.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is anything but Christian propaganda.

Mocking Jesus will not get Christians to watch this movie.

I'm personnally not going to see it because of the Anti-American theme.

"Truth, Justice and all that stuff" Quote from Superman movie.

So Superman is not for the American way anymore?

Typical liberal Hollywood commie BS!

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
That was such an insignificant piece of the movie. Actually, Superman saves America, and the rest of the world. I'm betting that if they said Truth, Justice nad the American way, they would't be able to sell it in a lot of foreighn countries.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
This is anything but Christian propaganda.

Mocking Jesus will not get Christians to watch this movie.

Though your post doesn't sound as though you are a Christian yourself, (excuse me if I misread it) you sure hit the nail on the head with this post!

I'd like to point out that very few mainstream movies are produced by solid Christians, by which I mean those that would hold out for the clear Christian message and not hedge it in order to sell tickets.

So then, I'd be willing to state as an opinion that Superman was not produced by Christians.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I'm personnally not going to see it because of the Anti-American theme.

"Truth, Justice and all that stuff" Quote from Superman movie.

So Superman is not for the American way anymore?

Typical liberal Hollywood commie BS!

I would like you to keep your political nonsense out of ATS and in the gutter where it belongs.

And if you think a little bit more, you'll realize that it's all about money. If they left the "American Way" in it would equal less sales worldwide which would have a much greater financial significance then a group of uber-conservatives like yourself not watching the movie.

You would have to see the movie to find out if it actually had an Anti-US theme, dontcha think???

[edit on 1-7-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
You would have to see the movie to find out if it actually had an Anti-US theme, dontcha think???

Ahhh, is that how it's done? See the movie and then formulate an opinion?

NN

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Nahhh... It's not. You don't have to see any movie before forming your opinion about it. That's just stupid. How could anyone think of that???

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I saw the movie.its great!
no its not christian.. if you have read any of the interviews of the original creators of superman...they were jewish. supermans name is also jewish and so the names of many people from his homeland. in the interviews by the creators of superman...he is supposed to represent the jewish people, as being aliens in a world full of chaos, but sent as an example to others with the power of God behind them etc..etc.. lois lane represents the gentile woman that all jewish men fantisize over, at least thats what the creators said. read some of the old interviews..and it explains alot. the other part was that they just wanted to create a kick ass superhero and religious undertones tend to grip people ...hence the reason why george lucas used so much in writing star wars..etc..
im a christian and everything, but i get really frustrated when a film comes out that has any kind of religious undertones whatsoever, and christians try to claim it as their "faith movie." lol. but anyway, yea read some of the interviews by the two jewish creators that should clear up a lot.

CARSELLER- i saw the movie...it was great but that part did piss me off. heaven forbid we say american in anything anymore.

Hope this helps,
digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join