It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superman Returns an attempt at Christian Propaganda?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I worked on the original S1 and S2 movies

I hoped this was a tribute to Chris and the guys - but you are taking is somewhere else

If there is a sub text comics then take it up with them - Superman is FANTASY - its not some pseudo reliegious context - disinfo i guess

for me i raise a glass to an amazing actor - and what i hope will be a great film

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Since we're doing analogies, what would be the exploded home planet of Superman's? The asteroid belt seems like a good candidate, although Mars would also fit the bill.

I heard about this theory that Venus swung by these planets and zapped the hell out of them. The first planet it passed by it was at its' greatest charge, and it ripped the electrons out of the planet so fast it just blew it up. Some of the northern hemisphere was vaporized immediately and attracted to Venus, while chunks of the southern were crushed with lightning and became the asteriod belt. When it passed the second planet, Mars, the same thing started happening only Venus was much weaker.

i43.photobucket.com...

The north pole of the planet sits on this dome:
i43.photobucket.com...

Cauldera of the Olympis Mons. This particular cauldera features craters centered on top of other craters. We can find at least 5 right off the bat, if you keep in mind some of these craters are ellipses:
Since we're doing analogies, what would be the exploded home planet of Superman's? The asteroid belt seems like a good candidate, although Mars would also fit the bill.

i43.photobucket.com...

The north pole of the planet sits on this dome:
i43.photobucket.com...
Olympus Mons:
i43.photobucket.com...
i43.photobucket.com...

[edit on 2-7-2006 by iamjman]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I noticed multiple points diring the new Superman movie at which I felt uncomfortable.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by Rasobasi420]

It's too bad you can't just take a night out and enjoy a movie without your own prejudices ruining it for you. I feel for you. This is the USA and it's culture is heavily based on European, thus Chistian beliefs of what is right and good. Unless you want to oppress a couple million people here, get over it.

Not that I believe that's what's happening here. Hollywood pushing Christian beliefs?
What color is the sky in your world?

I'm not even Christian and even I can see the bias in your post.

Superman is Superman. Good movies, good comix. Nothing more. Nothing less.

With that said, even tho I havent seen the movie, I eagerly await its release on video. As it stands right now. The best comix movie is Batman the Beginning and Superman II closely followed by Superman I.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Why does Superman or any fictional character have to be interwoven with Christian beliefs or themes just because they have a few traits?

Every hero has a nemesis, but that doesn't make them the devil by default. Take He-man for example. He didn't lie either, nor did he do anything heinous to his fellow man. Skeletor was his arch enemy, bent on ruling the world. But Prince Adam's "ascension" into He-man has nothing to do with Jesus ascending and being one with the triune.

My point is, you can find "christian" traits in nearly every movie with a superhero or regular hero if you look closely enough. But, sometimes fiction is just fiction, to allow you to escape from the daily toils of this world

'nuff said

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

I'm personnally not going to see it because of the Anti-American theme.

"Truth, Justice and all that stuff" Quote from Superman movie.

So Superman is not for the American way anymore?

Typical liberal Hollywood commie BS!

I saw the movie, and it is not "anti-American".... When Lois asks him why does he returns he says "to fight for truth, justice, and the American way", Lois responds in a sarcastic manner, referencing what liberals would say, "then you will have to fight every politician in the world", to which Superman responds to lois something like "now don't be kidding Lois, you know I never lie".

In fact this is one of the few new movies which has nothing "Anti-American", except for Lois's statement to Superman.

BTW, some people who are saying that the movie has a Christian analogy to it, although there are some similarities, in the original comic book and in this movie, Superman has a son, which is contrary to the belief of most Christians, and it was against the belief of all Christians when it first appeared as a comic book.

BTW, Christ never says "I am fighting for truth, justice, and the American way. There are similarities, but there are also many differences. It is a matter of fact that Christ was not a fighter....

BTW, Superman does not die in the movie, he slips into a comma and later on he recovers.

As for the times when Superman is in space and his arms are outstreched and that this is a sign of the "Christian background", I think not. If you would see astronauts in 0 gravity their arms tend to do that. And if that is any indication of "some Christian connection" I guess in the second movie of Spiderman there was also a Christian connection, because spiderman streches his arms to stop the train and because of the excertion he loses conciousness, then he gives himself to doc Oc. for the safety of the people in the train...

The movie was pretty good, although i would have liked some more action, the movie focuses too much on the relationship between Superman and Lois imo.

BTW, i am not Christian, so I also think that too many people are trying too hard to see a connection where there is none.

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It's not meant to be Christian, it's meant to mirror our present situation here on Earth. From what happened back in the day that led us to where we are now to what will be. So it sounds like it has connections to a religion? Well that's because the religion is another tale that describes what happened.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Besides, we all know superman is Jewish. Oh wait, so was Jezus. Never mind.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Maybe the reason that Superman and Jesus are similar is because they both follow the Hero's Journey.

Most Hollywood films, and myths before them follow these simple story telling steps.

Both Jesus and many other fictional characters before him and after him have followed these steps.

This explain why King Kong also has parallels to Jesus, any Hollywood movie would follow this stucture. See Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth if you're interested.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Why can't people just go to a cinema and be entertained?

What is it with people that have to constantly refer to being offended by something?

Its a film! Its fantasy!

Get a life people!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think it is not only sad, but quite egotistical of a person to take a Hollyweird film and say it is based on the leader of ones own religion.

Talk about setting ones self high on a pedastal.

It's a movie, get over it.

NN

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
(was too long in time to warrant an edit to my previous post)

To say that this film is based on Christ, Christ-like, whatever PC term you want to spin it with, to do so is to also say that Heaven, along with your God, was destroyed.

Ouch.

Or, is this like most of this mentioned religioin - pick and choose what you want of the movie as well?

NN

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by reallynobody
Besides, we all know superman is Jewish. Oh wait, so was Jezus. Never mind.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????.....

Superman was born in Krypton......not in Israel or anywhere on Earth, so it is impossible for him to be Jewish.... Nice try........

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I noticed multiple points diring the new Superman movie at which I felt uncomfortable.

I didnt , i just saw it and i found it to be a well done movie with some great effects

If u felt that uncomfortable then y didnt u just leave the cinema??

There were constant references to him being the 'Savior'.

In my opinion , he is a "savior" because thats exactly his roll?? He saves people and as a fighter for good it is his job to save people and deal justice to the bad people.
I mean really, Do u think that the spider man movies are what you call "Christian Propoganda"?Or the batman movies? or any movies with a superhero as a central character for that matter??
If you dont then i think that you are somehow singling out this movie in order to somehow put your own minds spin on it.
But then again , If u do, then i think you should study the comics and superheros since the begining because you will find that ALL of the "Goodies" are saviors in the fact that they protect the innocent and save people from harm.

After that, there were times at which he posed in the standard christ pose (you all know the cross pose).

Well this is a MOVIE and just because someone does something that is in no more then a mere story does not mean that the movie itself is somehow relating to the particular story in general.
The only times where superman "made the standared cross pose" as you so passionatly call it is when he:
A) Slowed himself down when flying
B) decended from the air.
C)At the end of the movie where he dies and uses BOTH arms to throw the crystal island into space.

Now it is common knowledge that to slow oneself down in an environment such as the Air or Water for that matter that opening your arms will slow you down , this is simple phisics .
As for the decending part of it he allways decends slow when he does this which ultimatly throws this into the first paragraph.
and lastly Space has zero gravity therefore if both his hands are out at which point he gains unconciousness then it again is common law that his hands will now fall next to him but stay at the height they are in a zero gravity environment (unless acted on by an opposite or oposing force).

And there was even a point where he was dead, and resurected to return as the world's savior.

In the movie it is Plainly and blatently obviouse that he is not dead . just unconsiouse and this can be seen in the seen where he is in the hospital bed i mean for crying out loud HE HAS A HEARTBEAT . Now dead people dont have a heartbeat, correct me if i am wrong.
AND once again THIS IS A MOVIE ABOUT A SUPERHERO there have been many superheros that have died and came back to life superman in this movie not being one of them but the ones that have range from
Charles X from xmen. not a movie about the christian faith WHATSOEVER.
Neo from the matrix. ANOTHER MOVIE .
The sub mariner. A comic book character like superman.
and the list goes on and on my friend.

Is it just me, or does this sound like an attempt to create a Jesus-like persona for Superman?

Well i would say it is just you , Obviously you are religeous and that is absolutely fantastic

But i would like to remind you that this movie is a non fiction based one about a non fiction based man from a non fiction based planet who saves people in a non fiction based city.
The word that stands out here is Non Fiction, And im sure that for you to pick such a thing out you must do alot of reading of things to do with the christian faith , i mean to be honest i would have never picked anything up to do with what u r saying if this thread had not been written. I think this is simply a case of someone seeing things that a obviously very dear to him, in everyday life.
This happens to everyone i mean everyone knows what it feels like to feel like everysong on the radio is about them or there situation.
It is my opinion that if you really want to back this up you will find some actuall FACTS on this subject and look at some other super heros that you can relate (or not relate ) this one too.
I think this is simply a case of that which i stated earlier and the simple fact that If one looks hard enough they will find something in anything.
you said u didnt wanna fall into the king kong thread, well by saying this you kind of are. you may aswell say something along the same lines about Docter Who or The Incredible Hulk.... These are all NON FICTION MOVIES and im not saying that the Bible is a FICTION based story either just so u know.
Just my thoughts toward this subject.

Thanks.
Omega85

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by theTRUTHtheWAY
Something to think about:
Superman will be gentically created with the DNA which was extracted from the uncovered remains of the cross and nails which were used in the crucifixion. His deeds will make him look like a saviour, many will follow and many will die, until the fasade comes down and reveals the Antichrist.

maybe i went a bit overboard ha.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by theTRUTHtheWAY]

LOL yep i think u did hehe just a bit though

Omega

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Data sacrifices himself for the good of all mankind at the end of star trek nemisis.
is he jesus aswell?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
No because he didn't resurect, then speak to 'Mary Magdaline' and essentially tell her that they can't be together before ascending into the heavans.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
oh right, makes sense when you think about it a bit.
Vote Kent for Jesus 2008.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Talk about taking the ball and running with it! Christian propaganda? How about the movie is just about "Good" versus "Evil." Does that always have to relate to Christianity? Is this just an attempt to start a thread to gain points?

"The only things that this, or any other movie attempts to do, is part you from your hard earned dollar [or that of your parents]...."

REPLY: Ummmmmm, that would apply to every single store or commodity in the country. It's called "Freedom" and "Freedom of Choice." It could also be called "engaging in economic activity", which is a god thing, as many people benefit from it; actually, everyone benefits from it.

and distract you from real live issues out there in consensus reality that can affect every single soul.

REPLY: Economic activity affects every single peprson.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
wow people, just wow
you're all taking the completely wrong view on this
instead of focusing on the absurdity of a "hollywood conspiracy" we should be focusing on the real problems with the movie

for example who was the kid's dad?

the movie leads you to believe its superman but that's impossible as the force at which his sperm would have slammed into lois would have been equivilent to a shotgun blast and blown a hole right through her.
the super sperm themselves would shred her uterus to bits in their frantic search for the egg

assuming he could knock her up is far fetched, but just to cover that base, examine this quote from the movie "mallrats"

Brodie:
He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

therefore i conclude the real father is the pilot guy and the kid got his super powers via lois
how?
lois kissed superman numerous times, in doing so his saliva entered her.
given the human body is mostly water it's possible his "super saliva" stayed inside her for a while and when she got pregnant found its way into the kid in the same way crack does.

while the fetus is developing superman's saliva binds with the fetus, infusing the kid with superman's genetic material.

It's the only logical conclusion.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Why does Superman or any fictional character have to be interwoven with Christian beliefs or themes just because they have a few traits?

Because it very obviously has interwoven religious beliefs, and not just of the Christian kind although they are the most prominent. Doesn't Superman's father's name mean the voice of God or something like that? Then he's all taking about how he sent his only son to be the savior of mankind, that they only need to be shown the way. Then he dies and is ressurected. Then the whole "kingdom come" thing was just one big massive slap in the face illustrating the big power struggle between the Gods, demi-gods, and heroes of men.

I mean come on dude. Damn, I know it's cool to be that guy that's all like, "Well why's it gotta be like that, huh? Why can't it be [whatever]," but don't get out of hand with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join