It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superman Returns an attempt at Christian Propaganda?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondernut
for example who was the kid's dad?

snip

Just what did your very juvenile post contribute to the thread?

Little stories about Superman sperm? I'll be so glad when school starts again.

NN

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
Anyone, attempting to be Christ Like, is infact Antichrist.

I actually thought that was the whole idea...to try to be Christ like????
I thought he was THE example to try to live your life by?

But who knows...right.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And on a side note.....
Neo in the matrix was written to mimic Jesus that was their whole idea..
They talk about it in one of the matrix video games..

That they had to change the ending because "the Jesus like ending" just didnt work
for a game.

[edit on 7/3/2006 by Prove_it]

[edit on 7/3/2006 by Prove_it]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Mimic perhaps, Copy or relate him to No.

I can name alot of characters that do "mimic" jesus to be honest with you.
I will give u a list if u wish.

Omega

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
ok maybe mimic wasnt the right word.The directors said in a interview type clip
in the game "The path of neo"(i think)..Basically that Neo was jesus of the matrix.

That they intended it to be. That was how the movie were written.

But enough of the matrix...I cant wait to see the new Superman.

And imo I dont think "the American way really sounds as good as in the 50's"

id of left it out too probablly...you know which American way ??

CX

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY
Guys guys superman was created in the time were america was in crissis around the time of the stock market crash, people needed a hero to luck up to that was when superman was created to lift peoples spirits.

Well said ATSGUY, i wonder if this is the reasoning behind the new film coming out now, the US is hardly in the worlds good books at the moment, and this is just the tonic for a lot of disolusioned americans. It would be interesting to see how much influence the government has in the film industry, it's film topics and timing for releases.

CX.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's hard to say how many movies and books have the premise of a 'savior' sent to help people in their time of need who then gets killed by the bad guy(s) in the end, but saves the world. It's an old story.

I can't believe people are upset about this. The story of Superman is about as believable as the story of Jesus to many. It's just as unrealistic, just as 'out there' as the biblical tale.

I don't think there's any concern about masses deciding to worship Superman instead of Jesus. I can't imagine why anyone would feel uncomfortable... Is it that you're afraid someone's trying to take the place of Jesus? I don't get it.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm not a big Jesus guy myself. As a matter of fact, the reason I said it made me feel uncomfortable was because I'm a big comic book guy, and was concerned that people were turning Superman into a Jesus clone. The concern was that making Superman Jesus would make my love for Superman an indirect love for Jesus.

I basically see it as an attempt to subtly, and gradually, turn people into Christians, in much the same way Christianity adapted Christmas to represent Christ's birth. The Similarities to Christ are not the issue for me, because I think they are obvious and inarguable. I simply wonder if this truly is an attempt for modern Christian powers to subtly convert the youth that is being lost to mainstream media.

After all, what better way to get children to love Jesus than to show them how much like superman he is.

BTW:
Kal-El = Voice of God
Jor-El = (no meaning)-God

[edit on 3-7-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but Superman was created by two Jewish men. So, I doubt it was a Christ story.

Now, being that Superman has had this "savior" talk surrounding him for some time, as there are valid parallels, I think in this case the director played this all up a bit.

I myself noticed the Christ pose, pointing it out to my buddy.

-O

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yeah i can see the similarities... I even pointed them out. They didn't bother me though. Superman has always been a Jesus-like figure. In the comics he's died and come back to life before. So has Jean Grey though. I think linking fictional Heroes to religious figures is kind of foolish though. Its only natural that any hero is going to have Christ-like qualities. Heroes will sacrifice themselves for the greater good, they are unselfish, and a lot of the times are honest. Captain America, while he doesn't have super-powers per se(other than the superhuman serum), has these qualities too. Now his story has christ-like similarities to it as well. Steve Rogers was a weak and feeble man, but he became the world's greatest hero.
Look hard enough in anything and you'll find similarities.
I'm not gonna belittle you though, this is a good thread. I had no idea that Superman was created by Jews and that the names are Hebrew(i thought it sounded hebrew but i didn't think anything of it).

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I really don't see what the woo ha is all about.

I am a Christian but not in the organised sense.
I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, the original point about the alleged/perceived similarities of Christ/Superman: Was that to bash Christianity or highlight blasphemy?

The reason I ask this is the variety of responses have gone either way. It doesnt make sense to me. If you are critical of the hidden agenda or symbology...Why the truck does that mean all people who believe in Jesus Christ are in with it? Like its another Christian crusade? Don't hold my faith responsible for BS thanks!!

If your a Christian and you are offended by it, then state the fact clearly...don't throw it out half arshed!

I haven't seen it, not rushing to see it and dont care whether I do or don't see it.
Isn't the whole concept of Superman...good/evil anyway?
Will it make any difference at all to box office sales if it has or hasnt religious undertones?
I don't think so. And who cares really?? I mean care factor??

And as for the shmuck who said earlier line up Christians and find your messiah... WTF are you on?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I'm personnally not going to see it because of the Anti-American theme.

Superman is supposed to be an AMERICAN hero. Hollywood is pissing
on that fact so that it can make more money.

The gospel according to superman - very interesting reading!
www.cbn.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The thing is the bible has been mined many times for concepts and ideas. Just read revelations some pretty wicked material. Plus I do believe that the guy who plays super man is Jewish.

Take this character from the Bible

en.wikipedia.org...(literature)
tell me this character is perfect for um-teen storries concepts

Also the Matrix is full of biblical undertones. The Sandman come series is another example that draws ideas from biblical sources.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Superman is supposed to be an AMERICAN hero.

Who was co-created by a Canadian.

Hollywood is pissing
on that fact so that it can make more money.

The concept of Superman’s “Truth, Justice, and the American Way." Was created by Hollywood. This phrase is not from the original material. It was from the 1940’s cartoon.
Hollywood is always looking out for the bottom line. This is what happens in a capitalist society.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I saw the movie and noticed the connections to Jesus. Most of mankind rejects the Bible until they see a theme they can use to make money for them.

It's also sad that people make up a "hero" and draw attention to that fake persona when there actually is a hero who is real, that being Jesus.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

wow people, just wow
you're all taking the completely wrong view on this
instead of focusing on the absurdity of a "hollywood conspiracy" we should be focusing on the real problems with the movie

for example who was the kid's dad?

the movie leads you to believe its superman but that's impossible as the force at which his sperm would have slammed into lois would have been equivilent to a shotgun blast and blown a hole right through her.
the super sperm themselves would shred her uterus to bits in their frantic search for the egg

assuming he could knock her up is far fetched, but just to cover that base, examine this quote from the movie "mallrats"

Brodie:
He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

therefore i conclude the real father is the pilot guy and the kid got his super powers via lois
how?
lois kissed superman numerous times, in doing so his saliva entered her.
given the human body is mostly water it's possible his "super saliva" stayed inside her for a while and when she got pregnant found its way into the kid in the same way crack does.

while the fetus is developing superman's saliva binds with the fetus, infusing the kid with superman's genetic material.

It's the only logical conclusion.

This is just as ridiculous as the original post. If you've noticed, it took Clark until he was a child himself to develop powers. Therefore, the kid won't kick through her stomach or whatever. And come on. I'm as big of Kevin Smith fan as any, but to quote a character in his movie to prove a point, while trying to form an actual debate is nonsense. And your whole super-saliva thing is just as insane. I really hope you're not being serious with this post.

[edit on 4-7-2006 by J3551C4]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by J3551C4

wow people, just wow

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.
It's the only logical conclusion.

This is just as ridiculous as the original post. I really hope you're not being serious with this post. [edit on 4-7-2006 by J3551C4]

Enoch Chapter 6
www.sacred-texts.com...
1. And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children.' ........................................

7. And these are the names of their leaders: Sêmîazâz, their leader, Arâkîba, Râmêêl, Kôkabîêl, Tâmîêl, Râmîêl, Dânêl, Êzêqêêl, Barâqîjâl, Asâêl, Armârôs, Batârêl, Anânêl, Zaqîêl, Samsâpêêl, Satarêl, Tûrêl, Jômjâêl, Sariêl. 8. These are their chiefs of tens.

So, to draw the comparison, Who was Superman's Father? Was he Jar EL? And as you may see, all of these EL /AL Charaters who become the leaders of the Fallen do not seem to have any difficulties in "Taking the Daughters of Man".

Enoch Chapter 7
www.sacred-texts.com...
1. And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. 2. And they became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: 3. Who consumed all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, 4. the giants turned against them and devoured mankind. 5. And "they" began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. 6. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.

Nor do they seeming have difficulties in Spawning Offspring.

So the suggestion some Super Sperm would rip apart Ms Lois, is frankly silly. It's the Super DNA that he is passing, much akin to the Fallen when they chose to depart from their habitation in the Heavens and come to earth to be lessor gods and dieties.

So again, I will note it once more, This is not Christainity being presented, but the Satanic influences of the Instead of Christ or Antichrist theme and god worship being presented again, as it was in the Days of Noah.

Nothing new, Nothing Original. Same scam, Different time.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Who was co-created by a Canadian.

Ahem, correction... he was Created by Canadian artist Joe Shuster AND American writer Jerry Siegel, both Jews. Again, pointing out it was probably not Christ like originally in their eyes.

Siegel chatted up the concept to Shuster, who tossed around a few drawings...so, you could argue that the American "created" the idea while the Canadian provided the "visuals."

At any rate, I always thought the truth, justice, and the American way stuff was corny, but in the depression it meant a lot to some people. Then again, I used to pop huge for the Hulkster, so call me a hypocrite.

-O

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
Nor do they seeming have difficulties in Spawning Offspring.

So the suggestion some Super Sperm would rip apart Ms Lois, is frankly silly. It's the Super DNA that he is passing, much akin to the Fallen when they chose to depart from their habitation in the Heavens and come to earth to be lessor gods and dieties.

You guys missed my point, superman wasn't the kid's dad but rather a genetic donor via the genetic material in his saliva somehow making it into lois's womb and when she got pregnant with the other guy's kid it mad it's way in to the fetus and bonded with the kid's genetic material to give him super powers.

It may sound juvinial, but the fact of the matter remains, superman could not bang reguar chicks wiht out a kryptonite condom, and that would kill him.

Here's the logic behind it:
All of superman's cells absorb the energy from the yellow sun and give superman his super powers
Sperm cells contain the same genetic material (DNA) the rest of the cells in the body contain.
Therefore his sperm would have simular properties to the rest of his cells, ergo shredding Lois's womb in frantic search for her egg.

As stated in the movie mall rats,
If Lois were to get a tan or even go outside the fetus's cells would absorb some of the yellow sun's energy and give the fetus power.
If it's eyes had developed yet he may have heat vision
Muscles and he'd have kicked through her stomach

So unless Lois wore a kryptonite necklace, earing, or bracelet at all times both while engaging in activity to create the baby and durrign the entire pregnancy, there is no way she could have survived the 9 months.
With the kryptonite around it's unlikely the child would have survived

Simply put, the only logical explination is that genetic material from superman's mouth entered Lois when they kissed and remained inside her.
When she got pregnant it made its way into the child.

This ties in completely with this thread as well, Jesus had no son and neither did superman, yet there is still a following of people who just don't want to believe that.

Just to finish off my point and provide an arguement to my theory, what if superman encountered Gold Kryptonite and became human (as in no more super powers)?

Well, that's about the only way the kid could be superman's and still have super powers
Then superman wouldn't have his powers anymore and could reproduce with Lois.
But clearly he retained his powers the entire movie so this theory is imposisble unless between scenes he took the antidote that temporally returns his powers
en.wikipedia.org...

In conclusion, I suggest this course of action:
Go watch the show, it's actually quite good even if your not a "super" fan
It is not christian propaganda
It is not satanic propaganda
It is only a coincidence that when the human form falls in low gravity it forms a "christ pose"
Superman never dies in this movie, that was the super nintendo (famicom) game The Death and Return of Superman

Please, before you dismiss me as ignorant, realize what you and many others have said in these forums and look in the mirror before discrediting my thoughts

deny ignorance, don't make assumptions about movies you've never seen based off the words of others
i encourage you to think for yourself and not engage in crowd mentality

[edit on 5-7-2006 by wondernut]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It's not just the Christ pose, it's when he took the pose. He made the Christ pose at the moment of his sacrefice. Then he came back to 'life' a few days later.

BTW, I'm aware of the 'Man of Steel, Woman of Tissuepaper' arguement and find it very funny, and informative.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join