It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Stewart: Enemy of the State?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This article is about how John Stewart is an enemy to democracy, and how his show is making people much too cynical about their governments and politicians. This is all based upon research conducted by, Jody Baumgartner and Jonathan S. Morris of East Carolina University. This article is the summary of their research and is well worth the read if not for the laughs alone.

www.washingtonpost.com
Two political scientists found that young people who watch Stewart's faux news program, "The Daily Show," develop cynical views about politics and politicians that could lead them to just say no to voting.

That's particularly dismaying news because the show is hugely popular among college students, many of whom already don't bother to cast ballots.

Jody Baumgartner and Jonathan S. Morris of East Carolina University said previous research found that nearly half -- 48 percent -- of this age group watched "The Daily Show" and only 23 percent of show viewers followed "hard news" programs closely.

To test for a "Daily Effect," Baumgartner and Morris showed video clips of coverage of the 2004 presidential candidates to one group of college students and campaign coverage from "The CBS Evening News" to another group. Then they measured the students' attitudes toward politics, President Bush and the Democratic presidential nominee, Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Over the past several weeks of the new season of The Daily Show with John Stewart, Mr. Stewart has made several quite biting comments about the current administration and politicians in general. Personally, I love it, however, all i have been thinking is what are they going to do to him for that? And it looks like the ever present "they" are finally comming out against John Stewart.

Now, come on, is this the best they can do, "John stewart is an enemy of democracy" as a headline in the Washington Post...it has about as much chance of being taken seriously as does one of "Papa Bear's" rants on Fox News.

That aside, this reaks of the likes of Robert Novak and Karl Rove. Not to say that they in any way had a hand in the publication of this research, but seriously....John Stewart is an Enemy to Democracy, its just ridiculus. And what it really shows is how FAR our government and media have sunk.

Attacking a show that calls its self Fake. Im not sure what's worse the fact that the Adminstration and Politicians are afraid of John and Steven or that more American's get thier news and political news from the Daily Show AND were more informed than non-daily show watchers in the 2004 elections.

More importantly most of the article isnt even about the Daily Show...its about some other Racial thing in regards to Katrina and monetary donations...and on how Repuiblicans are more likely to give less for less time but regardless of race and Democrats are more likely to give more to whites and less to blacks but more than Republicans all together....I dont know....the whole Article is entitled John Stewart: Enemy of Democracy? and yet it spends a whole PAGE on this racial thing. And everyone knows John is a Democrat so that must mean he would give less to African American Hurricane survivors right? LoL yep....thats how far our government and media have fallen.

Go figure...Stay away from John Stewart Big brother is watching you watch...and they aren't Laughing.

[edit on 24-6-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

[edit on 24-6-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I mean a joke is a joke already!!!

It is comedy central after all, and if you watch it to get your political news, then you deserve what you get.

Even Freud said that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Semper

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
lol @ making people much too cynical. what a joke.

In 2004, the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center released its National Annenberg Election Survey, which found Daily Show viewers to be better informed on campaign issues than consumers of other late-night television programs, newspapers, network news, or cable news. In a press release, Annenberg senior analyst Dannagal Goldthwaite Young said: "Daily Show viewers have higher campaign knowledge than national news viewers and newspaper readers -- even when education, party identification, following politics, watching cable news, receiving campaign information online, age, and gender are taken into consideration."

The survey asked respondents to answer a six-question quiz designed to measure "political knowledge." Daily Show viewers ages 18 to 29 scored higher than those who consumed any amount of network news, any amount of newspapers, or one to three days of cable news; young Daily Show viewers scored the same as young viewers who watched four or more days of cable news. The survey did not say what percentage of Daily Show viewers regularly consumed news from other media outlets. Overall, Daily Show viewers scored the highest out of any group surveyed, with Daily Show viewers answering, on average, 60 percent of the questions correctly.

taken from: mediamatters.org...

if being better informed makes you cynical, cynical it is then.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
God I hope its a joke but in todays political climate who knows. Jon Stewart making young people cynical about politics? Gimme a break....politicians make people cynical about politics.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Actually Semper I will say this Stewart etal, maybe on comedy central and all but they actually do a damned good job pointing out the bullhooey, lies and evasions that does make people cynical about politics.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is a reach, for sure. I don't buy that people get their news and are negatively influenced by Jon Stewart. I tend to think that more likely, it's the other way around. People who are more aware of politics and the political situation in the country today watch Jon Stewart for the comic relief. In other words, the cynical views are already established by the truth of the political situation. They watch Jon Stewart to get a respite from the feelings of hopelessness they have about the current condition. I know I do.

From the WA Post story:

This is not funny: Jon Stewart and his hit Comedy Central cable show may be poisoning democracy.

Yes, this is funny! This is freakin' hilarious! And I've got to say, I'm not surprised that the failing powers are feeling the need to attack one of the bright spots in night time comedy (not to mention in my life).

I don't suppose the cynicism among young people just might come from stolen elections, an illegal war started by people who care not about their lives, loss of privacy, lies and more lies, sending their future overseas and ruining the environment that these kids were hoping to live in is making them cynical. No... it must be that little comedian who's on 4 nights a week. Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket! He's singlehandedly poisoning democracy!

More comedy! I love it!
I can't wait to see his show in Monday!

LOVE you, Jon!

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't suppose the cynicism among young people just might come from stolen elections, an illegal war started by people who care not about their lives, loss of privacy, lies and more lies, sending their future overseas and ruining the environment that these kids were hoping to live in is making them cynical. No... it must be that little comedian who's on 4 nights a week. Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket! He's singlehandedly poisoning democracy!

Amen BH Amen

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I get most of my news from CNN or BBC, but I luv to watch "The Daily Show"! As far as Im concerned, they are just having a laugh! It is pure entertainment, good lord, he hosted the Oscars!!! What, who next? Is Whoopi Goldberg planning on taking over the world? hehe

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You all may remember that during the 2004 'campaign', Stewart begged America to make his job harder, by electing decent leadership. Instead, he was given a motherlode of material.

Seems a reasonable question to ask - which makes America less 'democratic'? The open satire of Jon Stewart, 'promoting' cynicism and a degree of critical thought, or the in my opinion equally false but less honestly so 'news' spewed by Fox News, 'promoting' blind conformity?

Good on Stewart, I say.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hey, I hear that Spongebob Squarepants is making a joint appearance with Stewart later this week to comment on the war.

Come on!!!!

Illegal War and Jon Stewart are two things that go hand in hand, both comedy that needs to not be taken serious.

Semper

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can sort of see what the poster is getting at,but that said the daily show was nearly responsible for me being hospitalised due to laughing the other day.
It was the part about the North KOrean "type o dong".
That was very funny indeed-what a name for a weapon...I know a missile can be decribed as a long shaft with a bulbous head,but "type o dong"...please,no.ROFL

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
yeah these must be the same people who said "the Simpsons" are demoralizing our citizens......

or the same as saying gunshop owners kill people.... not people or guns lol...

i mean how can news thats already crappy an wrong be even worse for us after a comedic element has been introduced.....

lame

[edit on 25-6-2006 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
John Stewart and Lou, are my favorites.

The bring the reality of life in our country to a new perspective.

Stewart with sarcasm and cynicism and Lou with information and facts.

Both encourage free thinking and independent actions.

They are indeed a threat to the powers that are in control of our nation.

If Stewart is a danger to democracy I wonder what ATS will be target with when it starts to make headlines like is starting to do with Dave interview.

Some people in higher places in our nations leadership are getting edgy about to much encouragement of free thinking.

Many institutions that control our nation has spend millions and billions of dollars trying to manipulate our young people.

They will fight back and nasty if to keep it the way they want.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Cynicism about politicians is simply realism.

Fact is we should be cynical about media performers (and that's essentially what politicians are these days) driven mostly by personal ambition. Especially when they claim they're lookign out for our interests.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

This is not funny: Jon Stewart and his hit Comedy Central cable show may be poisoning democracy.

Wow, apparently, in the warped view of this author, only his view is allowed and any view in opposition is anti-democratic. The whole point of a democracy is to allow a free-reign to ideas, and to attempt to silence Stewart would be undemocratic.

quoted from semperfortis
Illegal War and Jon Stewart are two things that go hand in hand, both comedy that needs to not be taken serious.

Isn't the whole concept of an illegal war what makes terrorists and enemy combatants have no rights?

Or is that illegality different somehow?

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsenorpompom
And everyone knows John is a Democrat

Is he? I've never heard him say he was a Democrat. While he is clearly liberal in his political opinions, it doesn't necessarily follow that he's a Democrat. Does anyone know?

Stewart voted for Kerry, although he hardly seems enamoured of the Democratic party. "I don't really know what they want. The Democratic party appears to be the party of reaction. The difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is the difference between driving towards a brick wall and trying to avoid hitting a deer. The Democrats appear to try to avoid hitting things that might dart out in front of them. Whereas the Republicans clearly have plotted a road and if there's something in their way, they're just going to blow it up. Sometimes literally."

Such a Tease

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Semper, there was an incident where Stewart appeared on Crossfire where he tooled over that Tucker guy (The ass who wears a bowtie). Tucker started attacking his credentials, and Stewart sat there incredulously for a few seconds and said something along those lines.

Jamuhn, I believe semper was refering to the fact that the insurgency are by and large unlawful combatants not adhering to the rules of war, which I believe is still punishable by being shot upside the head upon trial.

DE

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Jon Stewart is going to rip those scientists apart. =D Can't wait to see the latest episode.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
God forbid anyone should inspire Americans to question their government.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is that at least the Democrats try and kiss ya before they tell ya to bend over, and with the Republicans, its more akin to date rape.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join