It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Stewart: Enemy of the State?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think we just want to blame Jon Stewart for the fact that we are a Lazy generation. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hey here's a good reality check for all involved.

Voter apathy has nothing to do with a comedian.

Voter apathy is caused by two make believe political parties putting up equally corrupt sleazy candidates for the nation's highest offices.

No difference between them so the public figured why the hell bother voting.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I love this, and the great replies...

Jon Stewart... enemy of democracy? savior is more like it!

And i dont think it is his "stance against democracy" that makes his critics nervous...

it is the fact that his watchers will vote for whoever he suggests... and he apparently aint selling his support... to either side...

jaded is what we all are...

telling funny jokes about politicans who get caught with hands in cookie jars is a very light, and safe way to criticize, without getting the tar heated, and the feathers ready...

what further testiment to the stability of the democratic process do we need?

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
After due consideration...they are absolutely correct, Jon Stewart is an incredibly subversive and dangerous character, who will probably be shipped off to Gitmo (having been there in the military, if I was stuck there with no way out, I'd kill myself too) anyday now. WHY? It is of course dangerous to speak the truth to power, this we know...but it is profoundly dangerous (and incredibly subversive) to make fun of them. to laugh at them and to point out that not only does the emperor have no clothes, but he's rather lacking in the manhood department as well. They hate, positivily hate to be laughed at and ridiculed...it is probably the easist way to get a one way visit in a black heliocopter that I know of. I honestly would not be surprised if there is actually some pressure being applied to have him and Steve Colbert yanked from television, just like there was with Bill Maher. BTW Steve Colbert is also absloutely correct...the big thing about right wing "news" commentators is that they really don't report the news, thye "feel" it...which is why the likes of Bill O'Really etal are popular...it is far easier to respond to things (politics and social issues especially) on a gut level, even if you are totally wrong, than to actually think about them and make sense of it all.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is an amazingly awesome thread! I love it!
John Stewart is a great advocate FOR democracy, not against it. People who say those kinds of things are simply looking for a scapegoat for all their political shortcomings. The people who have stated that comedians don't make people cynical towards government, government does that itself are absolutely right. What a joke.

Oh and by the way for a good John Stewart read, check out "Naked Pictures of Famous People" I laugh till I cry everytime I read that.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Jon Stewart is criticized for his "news" program on a comedy channel, when it is far more accurate than the supposed "news" run on at least one news channel.

Even Kafka couldn't have gotten this concept published.

But the subjects of the Daily Show are near-parodies themselves, so a lot of their work is done for Stewart & staff.

www.kontraband.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The Daily Show with John Stewart, is actualy what got me interested in politics in the first place. I believe it was back in 2001 or so that I began watching the show, and it got me interested enough to look beyond just his comedy show and research on the internet and to watch " real " news on tv.

Also, it got me interested to go on the internet for news, which lead to me finding ATSNN, hoorah.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I was disappointed that he didn't mention this story on The Daily Show last night, but then I realized he isn't comfortable drawing attention to himself, so perhaps that's why.

It would have been a perfect story for Stephen Colbert (as O'Reilly) to carry, though...

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think that Jon Stewart is a pressure Valve, that releases Problems, which America faces today, through Laughter and Smile. He is that "Comedy Relief" character, which you see in the movies; especially if you are watching a horror movie, you just cant wait for that comedy relief character to arrive and throw out a Joke or Two so you can start laughing and forget about the Fear and Paranoia.

But I must admit, I really Enjoy his Shows very much!

Here in Europe we get the Global Edition once a Week.

If he is the Enemy of the State - then the State needs to find another PLANET.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I agree Souljah,

It is often times that we must laugh at the tragedy of reality
in order to keep from crying.

Stewart and Colbert are a dynamite one two punch.

Colberts performance at the White House Correspondance dinner was simply brilliant.
But I dont think he will be invited back next year... just a hunch

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
I agree Souljah,

It is often times that we must laugh at the tragedy of reality
in order to keep from crying.

Stewart and Colbert are a dynamite one two punch.

Colberts performance at the White House Correspondance dinner was simply brilliant.
But I dont think he will be invited back next year... just a hunch

Lot of uncomfortable and angry people in that room.

Lots.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Jon Stewart on Crossfire

Watch that clip and then ask yourself who is doing a better service to our country, the Fake News or the "Real" News.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
definately not pucker carlson.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Jeez thats timeless. Won't see that in N Korea.

I thought I was the only one who saw that episode. John Stewart deserves all of our thanks for opening a lot of eyes to the crap that happens on these shows. He could easily just sit on his thrown at Comedy Central, or just promote his book like the rest of the clowns, but he rises to the occasion and ensures his mark is left. I promise you that the whole media world fears him after that one.

People like him are yet another reason I am proud to be an American.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

www.washingtonpost.com
Two political scientists found that young people who watch Stewart's faux news program, "The Daily Show," develop cynical views about politics and politicians that could lead them to just say no to voting.

That's particularly dismaying news because the show is hugely popular among college students, many of whom already don't bother to cast ballots.

If the show is popular among college kids, who, as the articles says, don't vote anyway, then what is the concern that The Daily Show is more likely to make its viewers cynical? People who don't vote don't get their political voices heard, so there's not harm (although, to not be naive, people who vote don't exactly get their voices heard either). Maybe its about time we all got a little more cyncial about things. It teaches us not to take things at face value and offers us insight into alternative viewpoints that just might work better than what's going down right now. Questioning the government and its motives isn't sedition -- it's the people's check on the government to make sure it stays honest.

I think Jon Stewart is a great comedian. Anyone who's seen the show or read America: The Book knows the guy is funny as hell. And anyone who knows anything about Jon Stewart knows that he knows what he's talking about politically. He's an advocate of free speech, and always gives guests to offer their side of a story. I don't see how a man who stands for free speech, the central premise of democracy, could be democracy's "greatest enemy". It the kind of circular logic used to shut up someone who makes perfectly valid points because they can't be easily refuted. The fact that Stewart, a comedian, makes more sense than half the talking heads on TV upsets people.

My advice: get over it. If you don't like what Stewart has to say, tough. Change the channel It's a fake news show. On Comedy Central. It's main purpose it to poke fun at the media and make you laugh. If you're not into Stewart's fake news, they're offering more at FOX,

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I can sort of see what the poster is getting at,but that said the daily show was nearly responsible for me being hospitalised due to laughing the other day.
It was the part about the North KOrean "type o dong".
That was very funny indeed-what a name for a weapon...I know a missile can be decribed as a long shaft with a bulbous head,but "type o dong"...please,no.ROFL

Yes, and beware of the Big Fat Dick

df1

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If I can find limbaugh to be amusing at times, surely the faux patriots should be able to laugh at stewart. If nothing else, the so called leaders of this country are certainly laughable.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Thank god for him and Colbert, I love their mockeries of politics. So genuine and revealing.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
For me, the cynical started before Stewart was even 'a gleam in his daddy's eye'. HA!

My kids had resisted all my efforts to interest them in political events.......then they start quoting from the Daily show!!

I also remember the heat the Smothers Brothers caught from some of their political commentary......makes one wonder.....was Groucho Marx also a danger to democracy??

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
But I must admit, I really Enjoy his Shows very much!

I never thought I would ever agree with Souljah, but here is a first! The Jon Stewart show is top notch and he is only asking questions we all wish we could ask. I don't see how his show can be anything but a blessing to the good ol' US of A.

Enemy of Democracy? Hahaha! Maybe they need a new dictionary because I don't see how he is saying down with Democracy in any way shape or form. After all, the US govt should be "a government of the people for the people." We can never let them forget exactly who they work for.

Kudos to Jon Steward and his show! I think he should be on one of the big three networks instead of Comedy Central, but then, they might censor his shows to be more PC... the bastards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join