It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US may shoot down test missile.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If I remember right North Korea fired a missle over Japan on a test.

I guess that was peaceful.

If the missle goes over any allies or is on a trajectory to the USA then North Korea is the agressive one and it deserves to be shot at.

Maybe the North Korean missle should be shot at your country? That isn't agressive is it?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
If I remember right North Korea fired a missile over Japan on a test.

I guess that was peaceful.

If the missile goes over any allies or is on a trajectory to the USA then North Korea is the aggressive one and it deserves to be shot at.

Maybe the North Korean missile should be shot at your country? That isn't aggressive is it?

No not really. If it did go out of control and crash into Australia, I guess There would be a diplomatic fuss, and some sort of claim for damage. What if a Korean airliner crashed into an American suburb (accidentally) ? Same thing I suppose.

Anyhow, NASA has been shooting things into the ocean for fifty years as part of the American space program. So why all the fuss ?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Why all the fuss?

The U.S. government needs all the excuses they can find to justify fleecing the taxpayers.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What’s the fuss?

There are existing protocols for launching a ballistic missile into international waters / airspace. The sane, space-faring nations of the world adhere to said protocols so a satellite launch isn’t mistaken for an ICBM launch.

Absent adherence to these protocols, the only prudent action is to assume the worst, ESPECIALLY FROM NK

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The missle could crash into Australia in a populated area and kill people, and that is reckless in my opinion. To you it is a diplomatic fuss, hmmmmmm......that is sound logic.

An airplane crash is an accident and a tragedy.

A missle launch that goes over a soverign nation without permission is agressive.

North Korea can fire all the missles it wants, just in international waters.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I believe the international waters option is exactly what they are probably planning.

But these things sometimes go horribly wrong, and it is why they usually fit a self destruct charge to these missiles, especially the experimental ones.

If it went seriously off course, they wold just push the big red button. Their biggest fear is probably a launch pad explosion. They can be a bit nasty.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Warpspeed
I believe the international waters option is exactly what they are probably planning.

But these things sometimes go horribly wrong, and it is why they usually fit a self destruct charge to these missiles, especially the experimental ones.

If it went seriously off course, they wold just push the big red button. Their biggest fear is probably a launch pad explosion. They can be a bit nasty.

Ish! It doesn't matter that they are shooting into international waters. What does matter is they aren't following the established protocols for launching a ballistic missile. Those protocols keep us safe from an accidental nuclear exchange.

What you’re saying is that you’re willing to take NK’s word that it’s just a test. Thank goodness you’re not in charge of anything.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Like I was saying on another thread, if the U.S. were to shoot down the missle, the North Koreans would take the shooting down of their "peaceful", possibly armed ICBM as an act of war. Because there is so much anti-American sentiment in the world right now, a lot of countries would agree, and that would lead to a big military mess for the United States. If it doesn't shoot it down and it IS a nuke aimed at us, we can say bye bye to a city on the West Coast. Regardless, though, missle systems aren't as accurate as you would like them to be when a nuke's being hurled your way. Don't know the stats but I think they're less than 50%. Any attempt at shooting it down would be a Hail Mary shot. Dunno if we SHOULD shoot it down. I'm not exactly a military analyst lol

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The USA has every right to blow the missile out of the sky if they feel threatened, so long as they do it over international waters and give fair warning. They have warned North Korea several times already. However, I see this "shooting down of the missile" thing going on as a no less than a chance for the States to show off their missile shield... or emberass themselves trying.

Perhaps the states are even secretly urging North Korea to launch their missile, but that is an idea for a sperate debate.
Nonetheless, greater events are soon to follow.

Whats bothering me is why there is so little focus on this in the media. I haven't seen a single mention of it on TV or any local newspapers. It's odd...

[edit on 6.21.06 by ProveIt]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Does anyone have any idea when NK is supposed to test fire the missle?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Because NK is like a spoiled child looking for any attention, negative or whatever. They should be treated as such much like the treatment "Cartman" received from the "Dog Whisperer"

[Edit for misspelling]

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Ikema]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpspeed

And I believe that you are just praying for it to be a peaceful situation - at any price, including appeasement. Praying for a peaceful solution is fine, but appeasement is never the way to achieve it. Bottom line is that neither you or anyone else except the leaders of NK have a clue what their intentions are.

As far as your belief that NK is planning on the "international waters option", take a look at that area of the globe for just a minute or two to see exactly how many places NK could aim a missile with up to a 9000 mile range that wouldn't fly over another country - which is an act of aggression. That's why the last one was fired right over the main island of Japan - also an act of aggression, since the country on the potential receiving end has no idea what the missile contains or where it is going.

[edit on 6/21/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Termite197
Does anyone have any idea when NK is supposed to test fire the missle?

Know one knows for sure when, but there has been much speculation in recent days suggesting that the most likely day would be Friday. This is because some believe that NK hasn't launched yet due to poor weather conditions, however Friday is looking like a bright sunny day over there...(or maybe not!!!)

[edit on 21-6-2006 by theallseeing]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I do believe that NK will fire a missle in the next few day. This country has a dictator who is crazy and will do anything in his power to hurt the good in this world.
If the United States were to shoot down the ICBM it would be well withen our rights,this is not a tims for president bush to try and preserve hiumself in the polls but to show the world of what this nation wont put up with any of north korea or irans crap.
I ask you,what if it were to crash in your nation yould you still think that they have the right to do what they wanted without following the prohibitions set up by the United Nations.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Dumb move, its an act of war on the part of the US.

What else would you expect from Bush?

Wow, this is priceless.If a terrorist sponsoring country fires an ICBM on a trajectory that is headed towards the US...without notifying the world (test?) what it's purpose is and we shoot it down, it's an Act of War on our part?

rofl, tell me another one. Talk about hatred for the US overriding simple reason.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
This is just a bad idea.. Most of the posts I've read say "We dont know what type of missile it is" Yeah.. it's a TEST.. missile.. That's all it is.. And the media hasnt assumed anything it would seem.. North Korea announced it as a test.. For the USA to shoot it down would be bad idea.. Cause the next one probably wont be if that's the case.. War will only get you so far.... Bush seems to think it's the answer for everything and it's the complete opposite.. If they activated the missile defense system.. are they talking about the "Star Wars Project"? Why to see if Daddy built something that works?

Ox,

Since NK has a history of deception and has made no secret of its intent to retake SK and put it under its dictatorial rule your statement confuses me.

Do you have personal knowledge that this ICBM is unarmed and what the trajectory of the launch will be? That would make you unique indeed and you should share this information with the military intelligence community. Why would you trust statements made by NK? Can you with certainty tell someone like me who is now sitting at ground zero so to speak, that it is unarmed and that we will not be targeted? Why are you so willing to risk innocent American lives just to make a biased political point. I’m not even a Republican and you would seem willing to put my life at risk when there is no way that you have any knowledge whatsoever about whether this missile is armed or where it targeted just because you don’t like the current administration. If you are wrong will you send flowers to my grave?

You should catch up on the news regarding testing of the missile defense system. You have missed a few of the recent headlines on this topic. It has been reported in all of the media.

This launch is a threat to try to extort aid from the US. Should a dictator who is starving his own citizens and is known to be insane be allowed to posses ICBM’s and nuclear weapons? Is that wise?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I say SHOOT IT DOWN. Think of it as a test to see how our defenses are against a real NK ballistic missile. Can't be as realistic as that.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

Originally posted by Flyer
Dumb move, its an act of war on the part of the US.

What else would you expect from Bush?

Wow, this is priceless.If a terrorist sponsoring country fires an ICBM on a trajectory that is headed towards the US...without notifying the world (test?) what it's purpose is and we shoot it down, it's an Act of War on our part?

rofl, tell me another one. Talk about hatred for the US overriding simple reason.

Blue triangle I could not agree with you more. It seems that every thread will lead to a bush bashing.

FLYER please elaborate on how this would be an act of war and detail your reasoning please.

I just don't see it. ICBM's on any trajectory to the US is a very dangerous game on the part of North Korea.

The Russians would not have dared to do something like this because of MAD.

If the ICBM is fired toward the US and NK does not proclaim its a TEST and OUTLINE it trajectory clearly so the world will feel less worried, I think it should be shot down if it can be. (over international waters of course.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
Its because NK signed a treaty many many years ago hat said they would not test or build these kind of missles....
This US ignores any treaties they dont like so NK are in their rights to do the same thing unless you believe in hypocrisy?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

The US is also a terrorist sponsoring country when it fits their needs so I don't see what that's got to do with it.

If it nears the US then of course they have the right to shoot it down in self defence, they don't have the right to shoot it down because they disagree with the launch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join