It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US may shoot down test missile.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I believe the US can only shoot it down if it enters its airspace. As long as the missile stays over international waters/airspace they should not have the right to touch it. Otherwise that would give the right to every other nation to blow up any US military plane, ship, submarine or missile on the same circumstances. No one owns international waters/airspace so they do not have the right to blow it up until it enters their airspace. If they DO blow it up while on international waters they would be open to retaliation.

CX

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is kind of what i was meaning in my original post Ajag, the thing is, there must come a point when the missile is flying over the waters that it's pretty obvious it's headed for the US? So at what point would it be deemed ok to shoot the thing down?

CX.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I see this as a game of high stakes poker.

We've already been told that the U.S. is preparing about 9 interceptors to handle this one known
and expected launch.

This multi-billion dollar antimissile program has yet to prove it's worth.

What happens if the Pentagon fails to handle just one expected target?

What happens if they miss and what happens if OUR missles land in the wrong place?

What does this say about our ability to handle multiple unexpected launches in a truely
hostile situation.

Can the Pentagon afford to reveal that billions have been wasted on a failed system?

if we fail to shoot down an incoming nuke then the pentagon has alot more to worry about than wasted money...

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondernut
if we fail to shoot down an incoming nuke then the pentagon has alot more to worry about than wasted money...

One that we know is coming too. If we can only get them to put a homing-beacon in it.

Whether 'space-wars' finally works at last or (more likely) doesn't, there is no way you can ultimately stop missiles designed to get round it.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
This is kind of what i was meaning in my original post Ajag, the thing is, there must come a point when the missile is flying over the waters that it's pretty obvious it's headed for the US? So at what point would it be deemed ok to shoot the thing down?

CX.

That is very true. My understanding is that an ICBM has a very high trajectory so that for most of the flight is well above the earths atmosphere. This is required to get maximum possible range. It cannot maneuverer like a cruise missile, it is more like a dumb mortar shot. It goes up, and comes down. The final guidance, or any multiple warheads glide down at a very steep angle but cannot deviate very much from the original flight path.

In fact to get the extreme range, an ICBM has to almost reach orbital velocity, and then fall out of orbit onto the target.

It is possible using radar or satellite tracking to work out the probable target very quickly after launch. That is exactly what NORAD does.

Anyhow, launching one missile at the US, even a nuclear missile, we all know what would happen next !!! How dumb do you think the Koreans really are ?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think NK is just playing nerve game with US, and that they will not launch their ICBM any time soon. Last information about rocket being fueled up was posted more then 48 hours ago; if they don't launch it within next 24h, fuel will damage the rocket.
Of course, I might be wrong; we'll probably see it within two days.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
This US ignores any treaties they dont like so NK are in their rights to do the same thing unless you believe in hypocrisy?

No, a better definition of hypocrisy is constantly bashing the U.S. while using a picture from a U.S. sports team as your avatar.

That may even rise to the level of hypocrisy where they put your picture in the dictionary next to the word.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Anyhow, launching one missile at the US, even a nuclear missile, we all know what would happen next !!! How dumb do you think the Koreans really are ?

Depend's on how far they think they can get this thing. NK is a puppet to China. Hopefully China hasn't provided extreme range capability to them along with the minituarized nuke tech for the warhead.

We must consider EMP threat's, unless we want to have another 'failure of imagination'! quote 9/11 commission

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Maybe i'm the only one who feels this way,but if we do have to shoot down the missle and miss,i will laugh. I'll laugh for a long time. On the other hand,if we do hit it frankly i'll be surprised they finally got the mds to work.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
No, a better definition of hypocrisy is constantly bashing the U.S. while using a picture from a U.S. sports team as your avatar.

That may even rise to the level of hypocrisy where they put your picture in the dictionary next to the word.

Silly me, I didnt know the Philadelphia Flyers decided the policies of the US. Since when did Bob Clarke become president?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I may have missed something. I didnt read page 2.. and someone, I forgot who, a few posts above stated he'd laugh his butt off if we missed. The missile defense system has had a few tests and the results werent that great. I doubt we're going to test this against NK.. The political laughter if we missed NK's ICBM.. sigh.. On a side note Im sure NK is a little afraid we might actualy take it out.

Regardless.. Considering NK's intentions and double talk.. I'd prefer shooting anything they send out of their airspace DOWN. Im sure NK's neighbors wouldnt argue.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by madmangunradio]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The president says it is worrisome that a non-transparent regime has announced it has nuclear warheads and there are indications it may want to test a long-range missile capable of hitting the United States.

Slip of the tongue from an intelligence briefing? I hadn't heard anything about nuclear 'WARHEAD'S'! I mean everyone know's about possible nuke's, but warhead's, that would be new's to me. After all, warheads are for missile's right?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread on the Weaponry forum, but since the point is being discussed I'll repeat myself. This may be unpopular, but it is what it is.

Under international law, the US or any other country is well within its rights to shoot down a missile launched on a threatening flight pattern towards the US, or in this case for Japan or South Korea if given their permission to act.

But in this specific case, under International Law, the US could shoot down any missile test in North Korea regardless of the flight path. In fact, it would be 100% legal under international law for the US to bomb the missile on the missile launcher if the US chooses to do so. You see, there has never been a surrender or formal truce agreement officially ending the Korean War in spite of years of negotiation. Only a fragile cease-fire agreement is in place and technically, the countries remain at a state-of-war. Since 1954 there have been over 40,400 breaches to the cease-fire agreement by North Korean Forces. At least 1,200 U.S. personnel have died, hundreds wounded, and 87 captured and held prisoner.

So legally, the US can do whatever it is ready to handle the political fallout for, because there are no 'legal' repercussions.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by centurion1211

Silly me, I didnt know the Philadelphia Flyers decided the policies of the US. Since when did Bob Clarke become president?

Nice try at an attempt to side step what I was saying. However, a quick look at your other posts backs me up. Seems like you are all over bashing the U.S. on any thread you can find. Looks like nothing us "chest thumping Yanks" do is safe from your 'scathing' criticism. But how about them Flyers? You sure love them don't you? Bet you wouldn't last 5 minutes walking around Phillie and spouting your stuff. You see, it's all part of the same place in the end. You might be way better of sticking with something you know a little about. BTW, are they still sending old men and old ladies to jail for trying to defend their homes and families over there in merry old England? Now that would be a worthy cause to take on right in your own back yard .

[edit on 6/21/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
i saw on a tv show that the us has these chemical lasers that could shoot down missiles and artiliry why dont they use that?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So wait... we're taking this oppertunity to test a missile defense system that we aren't even sure of how well it works? Um, what happens if it doesn't? Is this a live missile?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
So wait... we're taking this oppertunity to test a missile defense system that we aren't even sure of how well it works? Um, what happens if it doesn't? Is this a live missile?

If it doesnt get shot down, you might see something resembling this in your backyard:

Seriously though, if its a live one that does not get shot down, the chances of it hitting a heavily populated are are still slim, since north korea's navigational technology is not nearly as advanced as the united states'

if a nuke explodes on US territory, the world will face off again, either in nuclear confrontation or a Cold War II. The major players will probably be USA vs. China, as they have publicly stated their support for North Korea.

[edit on 6.22.06 by ProveIt]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
ProveIt
I think we can safely assume that NK guidance is capable of targeting and hitting a major city (within missiles range of course), since US and Russia had the tech to do that in '60s... and i assume NK is not 40 years behind in technology.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Originally posted by wondernut

One that we know is coming too. If we can only get them to put a homing-beacon in it.

Whether 'space-wars' finally works at last or (more likely) doesn't, there is no way you can ultimately stop missiles designed to get round it.

i was refering to the millions of lives lost in the ensuing explosion, not so much the inability of shooting it down

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Let's look at the information I believe we have. A country lies and hides the facts that it has developed nuclear weapons and lets the world know years later. Next thing you know they say they may test fire a missile that they say can hit your country. If shooting down a missile heading for your country is not self defense, I'm not sure what that is then. NK has shown they can't be trusted. As far as actually shooting it down goes, I heard we only have a 50/50 chance since the system is still under development.

As far as we know, the missile may not have nuclear material on board but a biological hazard ready to infect everyone in the target zone. Of course if you think the US is a very peace loving nation and NK succeeds in nuking a US city, you should sleep pretty good knowing the US would never launch a few nukes back and start WWIII. Of course with NK, we don't know if their leader is going off his rocker and wants to actually start a war by getting in the first shot.

Perhaps as a peaceful jester, NK will announce their test flight will send the missile towards those posters who don't mind a missile coming their way.

Then they can have the former minister of information of Iraq say that there is nothing to worry about, there is no missile. It's all your imagination.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join