It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US may shoot down test missile.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
My 2 cents...

It is of course true that NK and the US are still in a de facto state of war, and as such it is entirely within the legal rights of both countries to pursue the courses of action they appear to be pursuing, firing a missile (test or otherwise) and warning of destroying the missile (on the test bed or otherwise) respectively.

As such, I believe that it would be fruitless to allow this discussion to be diverted into one concerning the legality of either nation's actions, not only because of the reason given above but also, being realistic, neither nation has shown respect for international law of late and we have absolutely no reason to expect either of them to do so in future.

And a point which seems conspicuously absent from the discussion thus far (forgive me if this is not the case and I have simply missed it) is that the current US administration has expressly listed NK along with tens of other nations as a target and part of the so-called (and highly amusingly named) "axis of evil" back in '02. Any considerations of the US administration's true motives and reasoning in this situation cannot afford to leave its long standing intentions towards NK or that these intentions were and still are part of a global strategy for American hegemony (cf: PNAC). It is worth pointing out in this context that NK has expressed no such intentions for world domination.

And it is also fruitless to debate the relative levels of insanity of the leaders of these two nations - it is clear to any reasoning human being that they both at the very least are sociopaths with incredibly warped conceptions of their own places and importance in the human family; one of them simply has a more effective and widespread PR campaign and propaganda network than the other. Nations don't go to war because their leaders are insane - that is simply the excuse often sold by either side to justify war with the other - they go to war because powerful interests have much to gain from it, and these same powerful interests use "useful idiots" like KJI and GWB to serve these ends.

I personally don't think those in charge at Pyongyang are idiotic enough to think that they could possibly stand a chance of survival were they to actually launch an armed ICBM at the US - if MAD was enough to stop the Russians, then utter and completely CERTAIN destruction for NK with only a moderate chance of destruction of a couple of US cities is more than enough to make this a no-brainer for NK. This, I believe, is the reason that if the NK's launch this missile it will indeed either be allowed to crash in international waters or be detonated in flight by the NK's themselves, and will not carry a warhead.

I think it should also be considered that given the mediocre performance of the MDS historically, it is highly unlikely that the US administration will attempt to shoot the missile down themsleves unless absolutely certain (and I reiterate, I believe this to be unlikely in the EXTREME) that the missile carries a nuclear or other warhead, since failure to do this would engender an obvious and dangerous loss of prestige for the US. Nor do I think it likely that they would dare shoot this down on the test bed. Should the NK's detonate the missile safely over international waters, the US could even possibly claim that they shot it down themselves - who could say otherwise?

It is far more likely IMHO that the US administration is well aware that there is little likelihood that this missile launch is a real threat, and is "talking the talk" in order to use NK's launch to further scare its own population and place itself in the eyes of the international community on the moral highground to enable it to justify the advancement of their plan for world domination.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by fulcanelli]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
As for the possibility that China and/or Russia could have something to do with this, I believe that this is highly likely - the historical political links between these nations makes this almost certain, not to mention the history of arms technology transfer between these nations and their (on some levels) shared anti-american bias. In consideration of this fact, I believe that it is highly likely that the motivation behind this test launch rests not only with the NK's but also with these two other nations and perhaps others.

America is well known (and self acknowledged) to be on a course to global hegemony - it has been the stated aim of core members of this administration, and they have also made it equally well known that they will use military means and circumvent international law when necessary to achieve these ends. Under these circumstances, since these intentions were first known to the countries most likely to be on the recieving end of the neocons' ambitions, they have been justifiably taking steps to protect themselves, and I believe that this reasoning alone is just cause to suspect that this mind-game is being played by NK with China, Russia and perhaps even Iran kept in the loop purely to reveal any weakness in the American administration's resolve or in their MDS, and to contrive perhaps a situation where American foreign policy and/or the position of America geopolitically is in some way compromised.

This event appears to be part of a growing re-integration of the Nuclear Weapons issue into world affairs. An extremely worrying development for all nations and all people.

Fulcanelli

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join