It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads popping up over thread?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Majic, if you're using firefox you can get a plugin called 'flashblock' that works really well to block flash ads. I use it myself and it seriously cuts down the annoying flash ads you see on the net.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Pull the pop-up window to the front, and select "view source" from your browser menu. Copy the content and send it to me in a u2u.
SO, I'm not a complainer. I "viewed source" and got Macro media player.

My problem (after FireFox blocked several popups) was when I went to the main forum site and 3/4 of the page were ads for some college in Pheonix? (and I'm signed in) If that is what you want, I'm fine with it. It's just a change from what I've seen before and thought I should report it.

After refreshing I see a young pic of Michael Jackson and here is the source: Long link for yourgiftcards.com

And just in case it's important I have have adblock attached to my Firefox.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by sosuemetoo]

(Mod edit: Shortened link by using URL tags. --Majic)

[edit on 6/23/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've been getting some too.
I've seen the ones already listed by the other posters, but I've also gotten a different type.

That one pops up with a colored window over the thread (green seems to be a favorite color), and there is no writting on it nor an x to close the box, nor an url. If I run the mouse over it a few times it will go away.

I have everything Norton offers running and what comes naturally with Netscape.

Every now and then, when that one pops up I can hear a faint popping sound, like what you hear when someone is trying to mess with the system. If I can get any url's I'll report them.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Just got this one, except this time it threw up an error and gave me time to copy this url...

c5.zedo.com.../8;s=118;d=14;w=728;h=90

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Majic, if you're using firefox you can get a plugin called 'flashblock' that works really well to block flash ads. I use it myself and it seriously cuts down the annoying flash ads you see on the net.

From the terms and conditions of use:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

Link:

Terms And Conditions Of Use

Just a friendly Mod reminder!

Carry on.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Ok, that was pretty ironic. I just came to this thread to see the latest posts and got hit with a Budget Rent a Cars flash ad. Everytime I try to do anything to get a URL for them they just dissapear on me.

edit: In fact it was the same one Loam posted about a couple posts up.

[edit on 6/22/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Just got this one, except this time it threw up an error and gave me time to copy this url...

c5.zedo.com.../8;s=118;d=14;w=728;h=90

loam, zedo is definitely spyware. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot and I don't get any popups on my computer what so ever. Also have a router FW.
If using Windows go to
microsoft.com/spyware for 3 free programs for windows OS.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If you are looking for "Spybot Search and Destroy," make sure that you are getting this actual program, searching for this program will bring up other similar programs. It has been a fairly popular program.

Troy

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Flashback

Originally posted by Chris McGee

I'll have to check that out. As long as it has a whitelist feature, I'm in.

As UM_Gazz pointed out, we're not supposed to use ad blockers per the T&C. The reason for this is that ads are what keeps ATS running, and without ad impressions, ATS would basically be unable to sustain operations.

Thus while I hate ads, I hate donation drives worse, hate subscription fees even worse, and hate the idea of losing ATS worst of all.

So as much as I despise ads -- and block them virtually everywhere else -- I allow them when I visit ATS domains.

I think of it as "paying my dues" and surf ATS with a clear conscience. And really, it's not all that annoying most of the time.

Maybe we could think of ATS as "adware".

I use Adblock and NoScript. Between them, I can whitelist ATS's ad sponsors while blacklisting pretty much everyone else -- although I'm starting to get lax about that on other sites I visit regularly because I realize that other sites need the revenue as well.

Anyway, long story short, I'll check into it and see if Flashblock meets my needs, and I do appreciate the suggestion.

But I'm nonetheless planning to see what ATS's ad sponsors are going to throw at us next, regardless.

[edit on 6/23/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Got another one...

var swf_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.net/cid47718/720X300_SCconcept1b_may08.swf';
var img_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.net/cid47718/720x300_talking_metal_0306 gif.gif';
var click_url='http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=48791&mid=103674&sid=24107&m=2&c=0';
var click_url2='http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=48791&mid=103674&sid=24107&m=2&c=0';
var bcolor='#F4ECFF';

script "http://cdn.fastclick.net/fastclick.net/v4flash.js"

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
WOW!

I just clicked a thread and I got a pop-up asking to participate in a survey. The Blade Ad was running at the top of the page at the time. and did the popover thingy too.

and yes - I know how lame it is to even bring it up when I missed the URL.

Sorry

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Pop Quiz

Originally posted by Relentless
and yes - I know how lame it is to even bring it up when I missed the URL.

Yes, yes, we can never forgive your imperfection, which is a concept foreign to us.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Here's some fresh pop-up love from zedo.com, with some links shortened using URL tags (the underlying URLs are complete, though):

The Economist

iframe "http://c5.zedo.com/jsc/c5/ff2.html?n=498;c=119/1;s=119;d=19;w=720;h=300"

HREF=oascentral.reference... .com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads
IMG oascentral.refe... rence.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads

[edit on 6/25/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Here's some fresh pop-up love from zedo.com

This may be spyware/adware on your end. The URL, "zedo.com" appears nowhere in all of the ATS codebase, and we've never initiated ads that are 720x300 (as indicated in your code snippet).

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We Are Zedo

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
This may be spyware/adware on your end.

I'll check into it then.

Hope I'm not infected!

Edit: I think I figured it out. I think it came from Dictionary.com, which I use frequently as a reference when posting. I suspect the pop-up was generated there -- maybe even by my inadvertently clicking in an ad space.

I'll try to be more careful not to falsely accuse ATS in the future.

[edit on 6/25/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I was getting this too and bought a spyware/adware/malware removal/monitor blocking software package and have not seen it since. The software I bought removed 48 "files" from my registry and cookies.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yeah man exactly..some of the ''freebie'' software you install comes complete with a pack of adware with it.. like ''WHEN U SAVE.COM'''n stuff..

ADAWARE is a really good prog to dload.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Maybe it's time for me to download something. That Blade Ad is now out of control floating all over the page, instead of just expanding from the top.

It's gotten lose from the box and I intend to get it back where it belongs

EDIT: Okay - ran the Adaware, yes I had some stuff that needed to be removed, but the minute I came back here The Evil BLADE ad jumped right back at me - it's as if it is taunting me. Is there no remedy? Is this the future of advertising gimmicks on the internet? Is there no escape?

[edit on 6/26/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
That Blade Ad is now out of control floating all over the page

People.... I NEED MORE INFO!

I can't do anything without some information.

I've never seen the "Blade Ad" and I have no idea if it's from one of our networks or not.

A screenshot and the URL the ad clicks to would go a long way toward solving the problem.

Just posting generalized complaints might help vent, but it doesn't help me solve the problem.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Yes, I know, I'm useless, just as I started reading your reply it popped over your post. I'm just not fast enough to catch it.

Even if I do get a screen shot, I'm not a picture orientated person and all I know what do do with it is paste it into word.

Someone link me to the thread to capture, save and post it. Sorry, I know I should no this by now, but it's not one of the things I've bothered with.

WAIT: I got something on a right click to get more info. "Allow Dynadco.com to access your camera & microphone?"

[edit on 6/26/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
What is the company or product featured in the ad?
What URL does it click to?
Where does the ad appear on the page?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join