It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads popping up over thread?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'm running IE which does not stop many pop-ups so I run a second much more aggressive one that does. It comes with System Mechanic which I prefer to Norton’s utilities. That and my tech refuses to work on a system running their utilities.

This blocker shuts the browser down whenever there is an attempt to extract info from the computer. Some threads on this site cause it to shut the system down and it is repeatable. Most threads do not. I think whatever is going on is happening through a post on the thread and is probably intentional.

Since using my current utilities I have had zero spyware or data miners so it works. Since these strings shut down my browser it means an attempt is being made to extract info of some kind. I just don’t go to those threads. This also happens on one other board I go to often. What set my alarm bells off is that on the other board an ad to do with emoticons is always at the top of the page just before my browser shuts down.

There is an outfit that used to distribute a thing called “Comet Cursors”. They would trick you into allowing it on your computer. The sites using them were aware of what they were and were accomplices (IMO). I later read one of the states went after them as they were one of the worst. Whatever you do don’t download anything or click yes. Close them through your bottom browser bar instead. What the label says on the button could be a trick.

Since these strings shut down my browser there is no doubt in my mind that an attempt to extract info or plant a miner is happening. I figured the operators of this site were aware so I’ve never said anything. If you’re not aware this started right after you made the changes recently. Also you should know that the emoticons (smilies) ads always make my browser shut down. If you changed servers you may want to see if they are doing it without your knowledge. I think these smilies are the same trickery at play as the comet cursor.

I own a marketing company and I am approached often by companies trying to sell the data these things collect and to try to get me to sell them my customer info. No doubt I’d make more money but I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I was invading people privacy that way.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I've been getting them. Don't like them one bit.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I just got one of the pop-ups and caught it on a screencap...hope this is helpful in tracking them down.

No, I need the domain.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Master Of His Domain

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
No, I need the domain.

Are the URLs we've been posting okay?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Are the URLs we've been posting okay?

Yes... I've blocked two on TribalFusion... but that on Val showed had no associated domain.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Tribal fusion animated smilees..

AND I crap myself when it,s quiet and one shouts '' SAY SOMETHING''.......

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I ran onto a different one. This was a little different though. The big ad didn't appear, unless I moused over the banner ad. Up Your Budget Treasure Hunt 2006

I have no idea if it is associated with tribalfusion or not.

I know of only one other site that is a gaming site that has had this same problem. They went so far as to ask their members to report any ads they saw. I take it that it did work, since I haven't seen them lately. The only offenders are the new ones that only pop up when you mouse over the ad like I described above. Their not as bad, but are still annoying especially when you didn't even realize you moused over the ad in the first place, and wonder why the heck this ad poped up.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Now I keep getting a different one. It pops up, but the image inside the pop-up window doesn't load.

Javascript ref: "http://cdn5.tribalfusion.com/media/common/flash/flashwrapv10.js"

www.cursormania.com... r=ZCxdm451" target="_blank" class="postlink">Ad link

Image URL: cdn5.tribalfusion.com...

[edit on 2006-6-18 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Tribalfusion Classmates Pop-Up

That's just wrong. :shk:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Well I just got this one:

cdn5.tribalfusion.com...

The "Fart Button"

Leading to:

try.starware.com...

I am expecting a fight of superhero proportions between

SkepticOverlord and his now arch enemy Tribalfusion, go SO.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Budget was another one, I couldn't get any info, it popped down almost as fast.

Takeing evasive manuvers?

They being sneaky now.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Okay, I just got the one again that Val posted when I entered the home page of ATS. It is jumping out of the ad space on the top of the page, then it returned to where it belonged when I scrolled back to the top.

Then went to myATS to get to this thread and the same thing happened with a different ad. When I scrolled over it to find a url (once it was where it belonged) it popped again out beyond it's permitted space.

Edit: Yikes - now A LOT of ads are breaching it's ad space. There are so many doing it it's REALLY annoying!

I'd have to say at this point Google advertising is responsible. I'm wondering if they are offering this feature to advertisers who pay more to receive this kind of reaction when their ad is up?

[edit on 6/18/2006 by Relentless]

[edit on 6/18/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I use Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 and the Google toolbar, but I allow pop-ups from ATS.

I have never had the problem that you all are having.

Yesterday I installed Windows Vista Beta 2 and when I came to ATS and BTS I had to login again (the first time with Windows Vista) but never saw those ads.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Now I used Firefox and the smiles pop-up appeared, after Firefox have said that it had blocked a pop-up.

All the links are for a.tribalfusion.com or cdn5.tribalfusion.com

I was not loged in.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Budget was another one, I couldn't get any info, it popped down almost as fast.

Takeing evasive manuvers?

They being sneaky now.

Yup, got that one too, just now... and last night the military one popped up twice... Each time the ad disappears the moment I move my mouse near them.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Yes... I've blocked two on TribalFusion... but that on Val showed had no associated domain.

When I wake up (read as: another pot of coffey, heh) I'll turn FF popup blocker off, and run a connection logger (X-NetStat) to see if I can get you an IP.

NN

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm not convincd this is ATS specific, as I can't say for certain that I have been logged onto ATS each time it has happened. Obviously, what we all have in common is ATS so we are maybe assuming that it is ATS specific.

SO, could this be the case?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'm tellin all of ya...

Just switch to FireFox, get you a nice cool looking theme, and never be bothered with pop ups again. (well almost never)

I personally use Black Japan and it has a really cook black outline.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I'm not convincd this is ATS specific,

I started monitoring, but not until after I scanned my machine with two spyware and one virus app (don't want to give anytone false info).
I have been on for about an hour, and have gotten another TribalFusion (this time the one for "Your computer may be at risk").

No other browser was opened at or since I started this. No other apps of connetion have been open either (mail, im, etc). The machine had a reboot prior as well. ATS is the only place I have been (including changing the FF startpage to be ATS, so as to keep it "steril", if you will).

I am also seeing many other connections made when at ATS. Granted, these may be of things on the page (images, banners, etc), but the domain names of those connections signify otherwise.

NN

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I'm tellin all of ya...

Just switch to FireFox, get you a nice cool looking theme, and never be bothered with pop ups again. (well almost never)

This problem is not an Internet Explorer specific problem.

I use Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP at work, IE 7 Beta 2 on XP and Vista at home and I do not have this problem.

When I used Firefox on XP I got a pop-up.

And I still use more IE than Firefox, and I have been using Firefox for more than a year.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join