It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads popping up over thread?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I just got one of the pop-ups and caught it on a screencap...

I need to know what ad network is serving that ad... you can usually tell by rolling your mouse over it, and seeing what the target URL is.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
every one that I've seen is a flash ad. i.e. no rollover link or readable URL.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I concur.......I get the Tribalfusion box.....and have now taken a fatwa out on all smilies and I guess this thread has now been noted by the NSA....etc

This is ironic......this happends almost everytime I come on here, but after shutting down and restarting I can't get the pop-ups to appear now....!!

[edit on 17-6-2006 by Koka]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
If you experience this, please see what you can do to determine where it is coming from.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I need to know what ad network is serving that ad...

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
every one that I've seen is a flash ad. i.e. no rollover link or readable URL.

If you experience this type of popup, feel that you can recreate them, run windows or linux, and would like to help SO discover the origin, perhaps you could run the netstat command while the page is loading.

This command will show all network connections, so be sure that you have no other web pages or outside connections going when you run it to help avoid confusion. U2U the results to him if he approves this technique?

Or, if you have access to your firewall logs, perhaps you could send SO those to help identify the culprit.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I just got the smileys one pop-up again, after I clicked on a link to a thread at the bottom of the main BTS page (to be even more precise - when I loaded the page it automaticly took me down to the bottom of the page),

these two urls come up for the advert -

Long URL for smileycentral.com

cdn5.tribalfusion.com...

(Mod edit: Shortened link. --Majic)

[edit on 6/17/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I get the smiley pop-up too.

"http://cdn5.tribalfusion.com/media/common/flash/flashwrapv10.js"

HREF="http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/XTDPKUQQTOWGTMOEGRLDPROR
KXMEJLIIPEGMILEHONQLNMRRGPJKDJPNMLEQOIVJWSHIKNLSWVSH/
www.smileycentral.com..." TARGET="_blank"

IMG "http://cdn5.tribalfusion.com/media/271626/s-newgen_november_300X600.gif" WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=600 BORDER=0

(Mod edit: Broke up long HREF. --Majic)

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
I concur.......I get the Tribalfusion box.....and have now taken a fatwa out on all smilies and I guess this thread has now been noted by the NSA....etc

This is ironic......this happends almost everytime I come on here, but after shutting down and restarting I can't get the pop-ups to appear now....!!

[edit on 17-6-2006 by Koka]

I too, get the tribalfusion box.

Also, I was randomly logged-out about three times this last week

[edit on 17-6-2006 by TONE23]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I use Firefox and still get them. Both with the current release and current Beta.

The one minutes ago, going from the Photo thread to MyATS was for Classmates.com, served by Tribalfusion.

I have a scr shot and addy if ya want it.

ATS was the only browser of anykind open
I run full security (including no-allow ActiveX/Java)
FF popup blocker enabled.
Very clean system.

NN

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I honestly don't see any problem with one pop-up, especially if it means ATS's funds being increased. It's only ONE window.

No problem for me, even if there is a pop-up.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
I honestly don't see any problem with one pop-up

The problem is that ATS owners don't want them to happen, but they are.

If ATS has taken the code out of the site for popups, yet they are still happening, then something is afoul towards ATS from the popup vendors.

If it was your site, and popups were happening even tho you did not want them, you'de have a problem with it.

NN

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I have not got anyover top of threads (firefox) just inbetween them...

I must say though it makes people money it is freakin annoying oh well though i can deal.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ohmigosh!

No WAY!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've had these running Firefox on my Windows box. The popup blocker seems to catch one (you get the little info bar) then as soon as you click a URL to open a thread it pops up. The one I get every time seems to be the smileys one (I think that was tribalfusion). Haven't had one on Linux yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted by ed 209
Yes, every first visit. Usually it's a big 3D smiley advert. And I have a pop-up blocker cause it's built into Netscape 7.1.

Happens at some other sites too - Google Toolbar couldn't block it either. They also leave cookies on your computer - and I have my cookie settings on custom so that shouldn't be able to happen. The evil has obviously by now found out what the various blocks and settings use in their code and has changed their advert-coding so as to bypass what is there to keep them out.

Well, maybe it has worked. I have bought Norton and Spyware so they got me for about $60. But I still get 20-30 per hour on ATS. Not so many elsewhere.

apc

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I am going to kill the talking smilies over and over again.

ed 209
(to be even more precise - when I loaded the page it automaticly took me down to the bottom of the page)

noticed that as well. Thought it was just me.

I have unsuccessfully been trying to duplicate the popup. Been a background window for me in firefox/linux.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So, I've closed Google and the popups have declined from 2 every minute to about 1 every 2 minutes.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Tribalfusion is one of the worst culprits here, imo.

Fastclick is another.

Don't have any full urls at the moment, but will try to get something, and post it here.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This is what you get when you let 3rd parties execute code on your site... this is what I am guessing anyway, I am guessing you are hosting someones (ad company) JS here and they are being tricky pricks. Remember that JS can be used to directly manipulate the DOM, ie edit the page from the user's browser after the page has loaded.

Find em' and sue em

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Tribalfusion Classmates Pop-Up

www.classmates.com... 0" target="_blank" class="postlink">www.classmates.com

Edit: I'm using Firefox, btw, and still got it as a pop-up. Clever little rascals.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

original quote by:Majic
Edit: I'm using Firefox, btw, and still got it as a pop-up. Clever little rascals.

Not clever enough to get away with it for long.

They should've known better then to try to pull one over on a conspiracy site

[edit on 17-6-2006 by TONE23]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join