It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by d1k
What the heck is going on? Is this normal?

Don't you think it would've been good to check if its normal before presenting it?

I don't mean to be testy here - and maybe you weren't meaning to be either - but isn't that exactly what he's attempting to do in this thread? I mean, it appears he started to thread to get feedback on whether this should alarm him, right?

There are lots of earthquakes every single day. The aluetians are part of an active region.

I think something big might be happening.

Why?

This is why...here's the rectangular area that this activity is happening in. I took from mag 3.0 up (which is what the majority of the activity is in the past 24 hours). This is the count from January 1 through June 5. There were a total of 25 quakes before yesterday.

Unless you have information that I'm not privy to, I think we can safely say this is not normal activity.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
thank you valhall, i thought that i was losing my mind here this seems way above the norm even for alaska

[edit on 14-6-2006 by the_sentinal]

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
ignorant_ape. Yes there is a chance at false readings but not to the extent that you say. I also don't think it really applies to this situation since it has been going on for over 12 hours now. In fact if you read the disclaimer by the USGS it basiclly says to expect it to miss some quakes as it recieves data on the events for a while after they actually occured.

DISCLAIMER - The maps and lists show events which have been located by the USGS and contributing agencies within the last 7 days. They should not be considered to be complete lists of all events M2.5+ in the US and adjacent areas and especially should not be considered to be complete lists of all events M4.0+ in the world. The World Data Center for Seismology, Denver (a part of the USGS National Earthquake Information Center) continues to receive data from observatories throughout the world for several months after the events occurred, and using those data, adds new events and revises existing events in later publications. For a description of these later publications and the data available, see Scientific Data.

Yes thanks Vallhall

[edit on 14-6-2006 by d1k]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Did I count correctly? I counted already 63.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
any thoughts anyone on why this has not made the news yet?? I know this area is remote but the activity has to be alarming some in the media...

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Three of the seven largest earthquakes in the 20th century occurred in Alaska (1957 Aleutian, 1964 Prince William Sound, and 1965 Rat Islands).

Rat Islands look familiar?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Alaska is rumbling!

50 quakes and still counting in just over 10 hours have happened in Alaska. The smallest being a 2.6 and the strongest being a 6.3. They seem to be coming ever 10-30 minutes and have been coming steady for the past 10 hours. (I've been updating this post for nearly 9 hours and I'm now a zombie, I must sleep so I'll leave it at 50 and update it when I wake up again
)

This is a good post and we can learn much about this region. I have had family posted at the former bases on this chain of islands and earthquakes happen weekly and sometimes daily. However, I don't know if activity like this has been recorded before in this region. Kudos go to d1k for another outstanding topic thread!

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
How many are we at now? Could anyone suggest a good website to track these events? I checked a couple of links on previous pages but I didn't really know what I was looking at.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
hey , its in the news --

ONE earthquake

as for data -- try this --

EQ_DATA

like i said , unfiltered data can be misleading

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
ALSO TRY:

Has a map of the whole worlds most recent quakes, kinda puts it in perspective.

Looks like the whole coast and Sumatran rim have been active the last few days...
In fact, it kinda looks like the whole plate is moving rather sharply...

And the one relitively quiet zone has been mid california...
Could this be a set up for the big San fran Quake, that we know is coming?

[edit on 14-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Oh my goodness! I am in South Africa and had not heard of this activity until I read this entire thread from page 1! Also, thanks for the link to Brian's Predictions...awesome! The only news I could find regarding the earthquakes was on Google News which quoted the Honolulu Star-Bulletin as saying that 2 earthquakes had been reported! "Two earthquakes, one of magnitude 6.3 and one of 6.1, struck the Aleutian Islands in Alaska today, the US Geological Survey said on its Web site." This was about 2 hours ago. Have you got any further info on more quakes?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Alaska is very very active in earthquakes, so to me this is no big deal.

As Alaska has the most earthquakes of any state, and is one of the most seismically regions of the world.

Just because of the huge population of California gets all the attention.

How many people know if you live in Alaska, that you get a nice oil pipeline check divdend every year from the the state of Alaska? Some but not many, just like how many earthquakes and volcanoes are in Alaska.

earthquakes

History of earthquakes alaska

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Unless you have information that I'm not privy to, I think we can safely say this is not normal activity.

Its not usual for that region, but its not unusual in terms of earthqauke activity. This region is part of the ring of fire. There are going to be periods in which there are lots of earth quakes.

Here is a world map of earthquake activity. There are clusters throughout the aleutians, and california.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Any eartquake activity in this region is supposed to be high frequency
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

There are large plates being subducted right along that boundary, its what created the arc of aleutian islands. Having dozens of earthquakes in a day is not indicative of a catastrophe.

From here we have intact subducting slab up to 150 km of depth.
www.scec.org...

Your data indicates that most of these quakes are originating within that zone of intact subducting material. So this activity appears to be simply related to the subduction of oceanic crust. We except a great amount of activity along in the Aleutian region. That doesn't mean a consistent and constant high frequency of earthquakes.

the_sentinel
any thoughts anyone on why this has not made the news yet??

Because it is not news that there are high rates of earthquake activity in the aleutians.

Rat Islands look familiar?

And there probably will be great earthquakes again at that and other locations. And entire tectonic plate is being forced into the depths of the earth. There is going to be a great amount of earthquakes there for a very long time.

Also, recall, this is a plate, the movement isn't going to be perfectly transmitted all along the plate, but there should be an increase in activity at other boundaries, if the plate is moving faster. The Aluetians are part of a global mountain system called the Cordellian Range, which are teh result of subduction of one plate beneath another and run from Alaska through to Tierro del Fuego.

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A quick overview about the region.

www.giseis.alaska.edu...

Now if you read the FAQ on that same site it gives your this information.
www.giseis.alaska.edu...

How many earthquakes do we have in Alaska?

Daily = 50-100, Weekly = 400-700, Monthly = 1500-3000, Yearly = ~24000

On average, Alaska can expect:

1 M > 8 every 13 years
1 M = 7-8 every year
5 M = 6-7 every year
20 M = 5-6 every year
90 M = 4-5 every year
400 M = 3-4 every year
2100 M = 2-3 every year

Now I'm HORRIBLE with math but if my math is correct we are well above the averages for a day. Taking the data we have when I stoped counting at 50 quakes in 10 hours look at the following, we got...

Over %100 above the average for the M2-3

Over %5000 above the average for the M3-4

Over %3000 above the average for the M4-5

And how ever many % it would be to have 2 6.0+ quakes in 10 hours when the average is 5 a year...

Does that look right? Correct me if I am wrong. (which I probably am cause I have been up almost 24 hours now)
Please don't bash me too hard if it is wrong

BTW we are now at 67 quakes in 13 and a half hours.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Its not usual for that region, but its not unusual in terms of earthqauke activity. This region is part of the ring of fire. There are going to be periods in which there are lots of earth quakes.

If it's not usual for that region, then it obviously is unusual in terms of Earthquake activity, isn't it?

EDIT: Thanks, Lazarus/Ignorant Ape.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Communication_Burger]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
www.pdc.org...

heres an intersting site on earthquakes, lots of religeous people claim that earthquakes are getting worse than ever before, and that were all about to die or that christ will return...

anyway, this website points out that theres tons of earthquakes constantly happening, and the only reason we hear more about it, is because thanks to technology we just know more about whats happening around the world even in the most remote of places.

although it is exciting, wasn't there evidence of an enormous tsunami hitting alaska in like the last 50 years? Mabey something like this is on a cycle up in the great white north, ehh?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Some people are playing this down as nothing but (always a but) what if this activity continues throught out the next 12+ hours. I know all the data shows Alaska as very active but 24 hours + of non stop quakes can not be good.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
hi,

check this website
www.giseis.alaska.edu...

talk about the alaska earthquake history

and it said that a new 9+ earthquake could occur at any time...

"Seismic hazards in Alaska come from several sources. The largest earthquakes in the state are caused by subduction of the Pacific plate beneath Alaska. Three of the seven largest earthquakes in the 20th century occurred in Alaska (1957 Aleutian, 1964 Prince William Sound, and 1965 Rat Islands). Although it is generally believed that these great earthquakes are rare, with recurrence times on the order of hundreds of years for an individual segment, five great underthrusting events have occurred in Alaska since 1938. In addition, both the 1986 Andreanof Islands and the 1996 Delarof Islands magnitude 8-class earthquakes reruptured sections of the 1957 zone, even though only 29 and 39 years, respectively, had passed since that great event. In a recent evaluation of the seismic potential in Alaska, researchers indicated that several subduction zone segments may be ready to rupture soon."

[edit on 14-6-2006 by MasterMind16]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think the land is moving back.
After the polar ice melts.
That’s a lot of Wight.
the land around it should follow soon.

Or it could be some one having a laugh.
he is kicking the seismograph

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
there seems to be two places.
51.4 +/- .05 by 176.7 +/- .3 * 26 quakes
51.5 +/- .1 by 177.45 +/- .55 * 28 quakes

on the iland you can see traces of LOTS of buildings?
and holes that look like target practics.
51.5742 177.32
it looks like their was a city there!
and roads. WW2 base?
that was bomed?

[edit on 14/6/06 by caineunholy]

[edit on 14/6/06 by caineunholy]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join