It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Cut Funding for NPR/PBS

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I try to, but every treehugging, bushbashing, welfare promoting cry baby gets on there and gets interviewed or has a special.

Originally posted by semperfortis
And again the "Left" resorts to personal attacks to attempt to bolster a very very weak and unsupported position.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just because NPR has people on its show who have a liberal bias doesnt mean that NPR is automatically a liberal station and cannot be trusted. If I heard a neocon on NPR I wouldn't say it had a right bias. I would say the person they interviewed had a right bias. They are merely presenting and such. Its mostly the fact that you are going to come across left bias and right bias people as you do interviews. Your not going to do 50 interviews and have all those people be completely unbias, especially the "experts" out there and the congress.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Yes grimreaper, and they have neocons pushing the Bush admin's agenda on NPR as well. A good example of NPR occurred early today when I listened to a reporter from the Jerusalem Post and a media professor from a university in Lebanon discussing Israel's recent actions in Gaza.

I suppose no agenda is also not acceptable for those who only want news programs that push their agenda.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That's exactly it, anyone who makes objective viewpoints are automatically dubbed 'liberal' because they're not conservative.

df1

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
That's exactly it, anyone who makes objective viewpoints are automatically dubbed 'liberal' because they're not conservative.

IMHO this will help the democrats bring out their liberal political base in november causing throngs to storm the polls chanting I Want My PublicTV. Perhaps that is an exageration, but I do believe that this is a bad tactic politically by the republican lawmakers.

Btw I personally favor the funding cuts, however I will be casting my traditional protest vote for the LP candidate(s) or at least folks that are not demopublicans.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So none of you mind giants see a problem with the Govt. controlling the media and that is exactly what you are saying by the way? I guess that's why civilians weren't slaughtered in Yugoslavia or Somalia? You weren't told they were. SAPS. Wake up already!!!

I prefer freedom of the press. I guess I'm crazy like that. Nutty me.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, they are still getting almost $1 million/day, so they are not bankrupt. And the proposed cuts could very well be restored in the future.

Their fundraising marathons are very successful, and now with these cuts, I believe that they will be able to make up the difference with more aggressive campaigns.

And just remember - there were decisions to make regarding funding. As the committee chairman stated, there were choices to make:

The subcommittee had to decide, he said, on cutting money for public broadcasting or cutting college grants, special education, worker retraining and health care programs. "No one's out to get" public broadcasting, Regula said. "It's not punitive in any way."

Which of those programs would you cut, if you were the decision maker?

How about cutting 1 day of money being funnelled into Iraq? $1 BILLION would pay for three years of service for programming that is a benefit to AMERICANS in America. I know, makes too much sense. Our tax dollars are much better utilized in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Thanks Iconoclast.
For that one you get a way above

You have voted The Iconoclast for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

If anything is worth the funding its PBS.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I find it incredibly sad that the funding is cut for PBS/NPR. I enjoy Masterpiece Theater, Mystery! and of course Nova and Frontline.

It does not surprise me that this move was taken. After all when politicians are part of a government that is billions in debt, which programs do they take it out on first?

The ones that educate and enlighten our citizens.

I think that education is not one of the priorities of this Administration. Instead of children being left behind, the rest of our citizens are neglected too.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join